PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone on or around the trail offer me a job?

The Phoenix
05-30-2009, 18:09
Hi,

I'm trekkin through VA and am and always have been on a shoe string budget... I am thinking that working for a few days would be helpful to me stretching out my trip (hopefully to Maine).

I am willing to work hard honest hours... doing just about whatever... if you have any ideas or offers PM me or just post under here.

As always much appreciated...

Godspeed

The Phoenix

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2009, 18:20
What a very interesting question, door to door salesmanship in spite of naysayers is not dead. You need to knock on the door, Smile before they open and state your case clearly in a short paragraph while looking folk in the eye. The vast majority of those right up against the trail will be burned out from people that have done them wrong. You need to give folks within 30 seconds as to why they need to listen to you,

"I am passing though town and I may or may not be able to help you, is there a OUTDOOR chore I can help you with that I can do to help you for $$$ such as windows, lawn, paint, etc. As a Christian I am looking for work."

Please do not tear this apart as I know it works as I have done this.

kayak karl
05-30-2009, 18:36
Hi,

I'm trekkin through VA and am and always have been on a shoe string budget... I am thinking that working for a few days would be helpful to me stretching out my trip (hopefully to Maine).

I am willing to work hard honest hours... doing just about whatever... if you have any ideas or offers PM me or just post under here.

As always much appreciated...

Godspeed

The Phoenix
when you hit the next town, ask where the contractors eat. get there at 6 am and talk the watress up (tip would be nice) she'll point them out and you ask for work. if you wait till later , don't waste your time. you're not a go-getter.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-30-2009, 18:57
I spent a lot of years traveling the country, there are 2 things you can do:
1. hit a Home Depot or Lowes the earlier the better (5:30 or 6:00 is a good time to start) ask every guy that comes out with a load of supplies, painters and landscapers are the easiest to get
2. If you are still there at 8:30 go fly a sign "Hiking The AT Need Day Labor"
more likely than not you will not get any work from number 2 but people will force you to take money, and you might meet some cool people who might help u find a day or 2.
Another thing you can do if you are running out of food is hit up a Salvation Army, they will hook you up with some food, clothes if you need them, gear if yours is damaged and unuseable, and they will never turn away a volunteer if you feel weird getting something for nothing.

kayak karl
05-30-2009, 20:14
are u guys related ?? :D

fiddlehead
05-30-2009, 21:16
A few years ago, my friend in NH asked me to build an addition on his house (with his help)
We decided we needed some labor and where near the AT.
We put a sign up saying "AT hikers looking for work? AYCE and $10 an hour for temporary labor)

We got 5 different people that we used.
4 of them were great and one did practically nothing.

I might need some help in Sept or Oct on another addition in PA.
If you are still in need of some work at that time and have finished your hike by then, i could possibly give you some work at that time.

TOW
05-30-2009, 21:33
As long as you do what has been suggested you will have no problem finding work because those tactics is what I used when I was hiking along the trail. The only time I ever had a problem finding work was when I would not put forth the effort that was suggested to me by countless others that have been there.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-30-2009, 21:38
are u guys related ?? :DLMAO Not that I know of, but it is nice to know I am not the only one who has crashed and burned and then was reborn from my own ashes lol

mudcap
05-30-2009, 22:10
LMAO Not that I know of, but it is nice to know I am not the only one who has crashed and burned and then was reborn from my own ashes lol

Now that is a good one...crashed and burnt numerous times:D

Reid
05-30-2009, 23:15
"I am passing though town and I may or may not be able to help you, is there a OUTDOOR chore I can help you with that I can do to help you for $$$ such as windows, lawn, paint, etc. As a Christian I am looking for work."

Please do not tear this apart as I know it works as I have done this.

I hope you did a good job.