PDA

View Full Version : New Report - Top 5 Most Polluted National Parks

SavageLlama
06-24-2004, 10:33
A report on the most polluted parks was released today.. the Smokies and Shenandoah are listed in the top 3. Bad news for us AT hikers..

Three conservation groups ranked Shenandoah as <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region>'s third most-polluted national park. This year, the EPA designated parts of Shenandoah as having unhealthful air because of ozone pollution, and according to the report the park's ozone trends since 1991 show that levels of this pollutant have increased by more than 13 percent.

Park streams continue to acidify and are less able to support fish, and although park haze has somewhat improved over the past decade, views that should extend 81 to 119 miles average less than 25 miles during the summer. Hiking, fishing, and scenery viewing from <st1:Street><st1:address>Skyline Drive</st1:address></st1:Street> and the <st1:place>Appalachian Trail</st1:place> are popular park activities; with diminished quality of experience, visitors are less likely to stay as long in a park, which could affect local economies.

Top 5 Most Polluted Parks:

1. <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Great Smoky Mountains</st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceType>National Park</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> in <st1:State><st1:place>Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State> and <st1:State><st1:place>North Carolina</st1:place></st1:State>
2. <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Mammoth </st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceType>Cave </st1:PlaceType><st1:PlaceType>National Park</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> in <st1:State><st1:place>Kentucky</st1:place></st1:State>
3. <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Shenandoah </st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceType>National Park</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> in <st1:State><st1:place>Virginia</st1:place></st1:State>
4. <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Acadia </st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceType>National Park</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> in <st1:State><st1:place>Maine</st1:place></st1:State>
5. Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Parks in <st1:State><st1:place>California</st1:place></st1:State>
<st1:State><st1:place>http://www.npca.org/across_the_nation/visitor_experience/graphics/crmap.gif</st1:place></st1:State>
<st1:State><st1:place></st1:place></st1:State>
Full report at: http://www.npca.org/media%5Fcenter/PressReleaseDetail.asp?id=185

SGT Rock
06-24-2004, 10:38
I heard about this. Apparently the article doesn't specify the sources of polution. I have heard a few different sources such as coal fired power stations west of the Appalachian Chain that are still heavy poluters by buying polution surpluses from cleaner power stations in other parts of the country are belived to be a big factor, as well as the bumper to buper traffic that affects a lot of those particular two parks (Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains).

Spirit Walker
06-24-2004, 11:05
When we were hiking the PCT I was amazed at the constant brown haze that was visible throughout southern California. Even when climbing Mt. Whitney we could see the brown line. Yech. It doesn't feel like wilderness when you have that constant reminder of human activity.

On the AT there were a lot of hazy days, but that was more humidity than smoke. After a storm it would usually clear up and the views were gorgeous. Still after coming from Arizona with its 100 mile views (probably a thing of the past these days) it was strange to be told "It's the clearest day all year. You can see for 30 miles."

Scaper
06-24-2004, 12:34
The visibility in the Shenandoah National Park has decreased, but there are still days with 50 mile views, just not as many.

smokymtnsteve
06-24-2004, 12:37
can you say TVA

ga>me>ak
06-24-2004, 12:43
TVA...Them Vegetarn's Again

smokymtnsteve
06-24-2004, 12:51
TVA...Them Vegetarn's Again

:D :D :D :D

SavageLlama
06-24-2004, 13:25
Story on CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/06/24/parks.pollution/index.html

Jaybird
06-24-2004, 13:59
"we're # 1..we're # 1...we're # 1!

visit the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park anytime of the year & the "SMOKY" part is (unfortunately) from smog/haze of car pollution & the logging/paper mill industry located on both sides of the NC/TN borders.

GSMNP doesnt charge a dime to get into the park...therefore it has layed off Park Rangers in the past & is far behind on routine maintenance in the most visited park in the nation (8-10 million visitors each year).

It seems like there should be a $5 or $10 per vehicle charge entering the park (day pass) like other Nat'l Parks....but, this is not the case.

The visibility atop Clingmans used to boast "7 states viewing"....now on a good, crisp day...you're lucky if you get 3 or 4.

smokymtnsteve
06-24-2004, 14:30
visit the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park anytime of the year & the "SMOKY" part is (unfortunately) from smog/haze of car pollution & the logging/paper mill industry located on both sides of the NC/TN borders.

GSMNP doesnt charge a dime to get into the park...therefore it has layed off Park Rangers in the past & is far behind on routine maintenance in the most visited park in the nation (8-10 million visitors each year).

It seems like there should be a $5 or $10 per vehicle charge entering the park (day pass) like other Nat'l Parks....but, this is not the case.

The visibility atop Clingmans used to boast "7 states viewing"....now on a good, crisp day...you're lucky if you get 3 or 4.

actually most of the pollution comes from mid west industry and TVA power plants.

the enabling legislation does not allow the GSMNP to charge an entrace fee...has to do with the citizens and Rockefeller foundation contributions ...the park's land was purchased by private citizens and then given to the federal gov't.

even better than charging automobiles to enter would be to not allow them to enter at all ..public transportation is the touted solution for our urban air pollution and congestion problems..the NPS should be taking the lead in this..by demonstrating in our national park....(been to cades cove lately?)

a good read for discussion of this is "STRANGERS IN HIGH PLACES" by Dr. Michael Frome

TedB
06-24-2004, 22:57
The clearest day I've ever seen was the day I climbed Blood Mountain. A cold front had just past through, and the mountain top was just coming out of the clouds as I reached the summit. I thought the view might have been 100 miles, but I wasn't sure. A few years later I had similar conditions in California, but not quite as clear. That day I could make out the 11,000 foot peak of Mt. Lassen, 200 miles away.

I wonder if GSMNP will ever start posting warning signs that people with respiratory conditions are advised to avoid the Appalachian Trail on high pollution days.

TedB
06-24-2004, 23:07
even better than charging automobiles to enter would be to not allow them to enter at all ..public transportation is the touted solution for our urban air pollution and congestion problems..the NPS should be taking the lead in this..by demonstrating in our national park....(been to cades cove lately?)

If they were to shut down all the park roads on high pollution days, it would certainly raise awareness of the problem. :)

Pencil Pusher
06-25-2004, 13:01
This study should read, "The Top Five of the 13 parks we looked at." As well, it's a study released by a conservation group. Take the results with a grain of salt, as you would with the NRA releasing a study on firearms.

Alligator
06-25-2004, 13:33
This study should read, "The Top Five of the 13 parks we looked at." As well, it's a study released by a conservation group. Take the results with a grain of salt, as you would with the NRA releasing a study on firearms.
Yeah, some of the parks not studied may be even more polluted. Here's the link to the report. http://www.npca.org/across_the_nation/visitor_experience/code_red/clean_air_act.asp

I wouldn't judge Jim for the actions of Jack, unless Jim and Jack were the same person :-?. But in this case, it is readily apparent that the two groups are separate entities.

weary
06-26-2004, 11:22

I made my living for 35 years dealing with pollution problems. I see nothing in the report that is factually wrong or distorted -- or even new for that matter.

The basic problem stems from a deficient Clean air law and the unwillingness of Congress and national administrations to fix the deficiencies.

When the clean water laws were passed in the early 60s industries were given 15 years to meet new standards. Everyone had to comply. Both new sources and existing sources of pollution. Though problems remain, lakes, rivers and ocean waters are cleaner today as a result.

Congress failed to do this when it dealt with the quality of air. Existing plants were allowed to continue to pollute. Only new sources are required to seriously limit emissions of pollutants. As a result our nation's air has remained dirty and in many cases has been getting worse, not better. The new Bush regulations would make the air even more polluted.

Weary

Pencil Pusher
06-27-2004, 00:31
Well I don't have a clue on what evil Bush has done to the enviroment but I do like references for such claims. I think the republicans do favor businesses when it comes to pollution. Less restrictions equals more profits. More profits equals better economy. If pollution is going to be heavily regulated, companies that must comply will see an increase in their costs. With globalization and NAFTA, what is to stop such companies from relocating to Mexico, in search of lower operating costs?

If gas is six pounds per gallon, how many tons of air pollution are you personally responsible for, each year?

smokymtnsteve
06-27-2004, 09:18
this year I have purchased 4 tanks of gasoline..my tank holds 12 gallons and right now I still have over half a tank in my car...so less than 50 gallons this year...

Pencil Pusher
06-27-2004, 15:34
Wow Steve, that is both an impressive record and incredible memory. 180/4=45... a tank of gas every one and a half months.

smokymtnsteve
06-27-2004, 17:11
Wow Steve, that is both an impressive record and incredible memory. 180/4=45... a tank of gas every one and a half months.

It's about choosing how we live and what is important to us..

I spent a little over 2 months of this time period hiking..so no gas purchases in that time period...where I live in town the Kroger store is less than 1 mile..along with a nice coffee shop ...so I don;t have to drive for any of this...the bus goes within a block and a half of my house and is a 15 min bus trip to the train station and when I do work I work right downtown next to a train station...so I don't drive for that. I do drive to the farmers market and recycling center..well I actually could take public transit but hauling the recycling out and then the groceries back the little station wagon is conveniet. I also carry some neighbors recycle and pick up case/produce to divide with neighbors(bulk buying less $$$$ higher fresher quality)...plus we have a least 5 people in our house all the time,,, and were basically veggie-tarin and organic .... so how we decide to live and expend our energy/time makes a huge difference in the amount of resources we use..

I'm more happy living simple...I like my tomato plants..my neighbors and friends do too...and right now I have great stand of multi colored sunflowers blooming...it is easy to swap a few fresh picked sunflowers for a coffee down at the neighborhood shop...they love em.

funkyfreddy
06-28-2004, 01:09
don't drive so much! Yes, there are alternatives and your lungs and wallet will thank you in the long run.

Rain Man
06-28-2004, 11:56
... Less restrictions equals more profits. More profits equals better economy. If pollution is going to be heavily regulated, companies that must comply will see an increase in their costs. ...

Personally, I think this is a false premise, like the question "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

At least, for the national and/or global popluation. Less restrictions causes more health problems, more pollution cleanup, more global warming, more wars, more of every bad thing. It just pushes the real cost off for a while. The "savings" of "less restrictions" are illusory.

Plus, I think technologically advanced nations are the ones that develop the most wealth and profit. So, improving pollution control and alternative energy, rather than costing money, will yield more profits in the long run.

However, I think your premise is somewhat or mostly valid for short terms and small "poplulations" (e.g., a single company or industry).

Thanks fer listenin'!
:sun
Rain Man

Pencil Pusher
06-28-2004, 16:30
It was given as a general example, not all encompassing. You bring up some good points which are valid in some areas and not in others. I think some of these 'long term benefits' look better on paper than in real life where there are real costs associated with those ideals. 'Global warming' is a farce:p

Hey, so nothing new here. This debate is old hat. Whichever side gives the most money to the DC clowns gets to see their ideas come to fruition.;)

Brushy Sage
08-17-2004, 08:00
Article in Aug 17 Asheville paper: a relay from Asheville to Newfound Gap in Great Smoky Mtn. Natl. Park to highlight air pollution in the area:

http://www.citizen-times.com/cgi-bin/article/news/59775.shtml

Brushy Sage
03-19-2005, 19:03
A March 19, 2005 article in Asheville Citizen-Times indicates that air quality in the Smoky Mtns is improving marginally, though it will not return to "normal" levels until about 2064!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NC_SMOKIES_AIR_NCOL-?SITE=NCASH&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

zephyr1034
03-20-2005, 00:10
this year I have purchased 4 tanks of gasoline..my tank holds 12 gallons and right now I still have over half a tank in my car...so less than 50 gallons this year...=========================================== ==================
Do you live in a large city with good public transportation?

I was without a car at various times in my life, but I was living in or near Washington DC with great subway, bus and commuter train service. Once the Metro opened to my area, I never drove to work again. Some weeks, my car would sit in front of my apartment unused from Sunday night till Friday night.

Unfortunately, I live in a small town where there's no other way to get around. Not even Greyhound. If I absolutely had to, I could walk to the Super Wal Mart with my two wheeled grocery cart. But I really couldn't go anywhere else.

Nightwalker
03-20-2005, 00:29
'Global warming' is a farce:p
Are you serious?

smokymtnsteve
03-20-2005, 00:31
================================================== ===========
Do you live in a large city with good public transportation?

yes when I wrote that I was living full time in ATL GA... with coffee shops, grocery store, and bus and train lines all very near by,

Caleb
03-20-2005, 01:50
Ho hum. a bland article on pollution, dry logic without a sense of urgency, insipid fodder for th newscycle. you want to hear about the environment? pollution.. co2, mercury, dioxide leaching, MTBE's, the effect of noxious gases on northerm hardwoods, the present effects of global warming...the coming slush, the retreat of the sugar maples?? then get away from the corporate media..Go to Grist.com or Environmental news network or truthout or common dreams or National Resources Defense Council. Sure it's biased. its not funded by the FOOLS PROGRESS folks who repealed, reworked, and/or delayed the implementation of CLEAN AIR and CLEAN WATER and who had the temerity to call the improvements CLEAR SKIES HEALTHY FORESTS etc etc, the same folks who recently OK'ed the upcoming carnage to ANWR, the last remaining unspoiled completely intact ecosystem in the US, all for the same amount of oil over ten years we could save if we all decided instead to drive on properly inflated tires. Betcha didn't hear that on CNN.

Newb
03-20-2005, 13:47
THey need to shut down skyline drive in Shenandoah and make it a pedestrian park.

Ridge
03-20-2005, 13:57
Thanks to Tennessee Valley Authourity aka TVA... they put the Smoky into the GSMNP. Kudos to TVA for all the damage, damage they knew they were causing for many many years.. ********

Caleb
03-20-2005, 17:32
I made my living for 35 years dealing with pollution problems. I see nothing in the report that is factually wrong or distorted -- or even new for that matter.

The basic problem stems from a deficient Clean air law and the unwillingness of Congress and national administrations to fix the deficiencies.

When the clean water laws were passed in the early 60s industries were given 15 years to meet new standards. Everyone had to comply. Both new sources and existing sources of pollution. Though problems remain, lakes, rivers and ocean waters are cleaner today as a result.

Congress failed to do this when it dealt with the quality of air. Existing plants were allowed to continue to pollute. Only new sources are required to seriously limit emissions of pollutants. As a result our nation's air has remained dirty and in many cases has been getting worse, not better. The new Bush regulations would make the air even more polluted.

Weary
Weary is right to point with pride at the achievements of the 60's and 70's. It was nothing short of a conservation tour-de-force, all effected by regular concerned folks just like you and me. It was a MOVEMENT.. grassroots, heartfelt, and ferociously demanding of change. Today this conservation 'movement' is all but dead. What we have instead are stultified non-profits peopled by timid button-downed bureaurcrats, carreer-track professionals, who spend more time trying to appear reasonable then in the zealous defense of the environment. This new half-a-loaf, very PC mentaltity is a scourge and a blight 'cause the half-a- loaf never appears...a tenth of a loaf, or a hundredth or a ten thousandth of a loaf is more the norm and often such scraps, such pathetic offerings, are even held up as raging successes. It's all very sad, very infuriating. ANWR would have never happened in 1970. The regular citizenry wouldn't have stood for it. So way to go Weary, for all your past efforts. The pendulum will swing back, eventaully. Regular folks, ingroups of ones and twos, will wake up to the slaughter and decimation, get organized, and start looking again for the fulcrum of the 1970's, so i have hope. But we sure as hell failed ANWR. end rant.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-20-2005, 18:43
The visibility in the Shenandoah National Park has decreased, but there are still days with 50 mile views, just not as many.
folks claimed they could see the Wash Monument and The Capitol Some from Hawksbill on a clear day- but that was long ago

DMA, 2000
03-20-2005, 22:58
How can Kings Canyon make that list? There's virtually no car traffic in the mark (in fact, the very little of it is even remotely accessible by road), and there are really no big cities near it at all (well, there's Fresno, but that's quite a ways off and not that big).

weary
03-20-2005, 23:21
How can Kings Canyon make that list? There's virtually no car traffic in the mark (in fact, the very little of it is even remotely accessible by road), and there are really no big cities near it at all (well, there's Fresno, but that's quite a ways off and not that big).
Air pollution laws were enacted originally in response to people living near factories and power plants that emitted harmful chemicals.

The initial solution was simply to erect high stacks so that the pollution plume would bypass the complainers.

The result has been to transform a local problem into a world problem. Local traffic, local industries rarely are the major contributors of foul air. It is the long range transport of the pollution from places hundreds and thousands of miles away that cause these pockets of pollution.

Acadia National Park in Maine usually makes the most polluted lists. Acadia's air pollution has been traced to power plants in Ohio and the south and traffic in New York and New Jersey.

There is nothing in Maine that could lead to the levels that are periodically measured in Acadia. My coastal town is almost certainly equally polluted, maybe worse. No one knows for sure because we are tiny, and no one measures the air pollution in every small town.

But we are all breathing the pollution and being harmed by the pollution. The wisest, and most knowledgeable, of us fight for stringent national laws, for only these have any chance of solving a national, and yes, a world, problem.

Weary

Tha Wookie
03-21-2005, 00:42
Ho hum. a bland article on pollution, dry logic without a sense of urgency, insipid fodder for th newscycle. you want to hear about the environment? pollution.. co2, mercury, dioxide leaching, MTBE's, the effect of noxious gases on northerm hardwoods, the present effects of global warming...the coming slush, the retreat of the sugar maples?? then get away from the corporate media..Go to Grist.com or Environmental news network or truthout or common dreams or National Resources Defense Council. Sure it's biased. its not funded by the FOOLS PROGRESS folks who repealed, reworked, and/or delayed the implementation of CLEAN AIR and CLEAN WATER and who had the temerity to call the improvements CLEAR SKIES HEALTHY FORESTS etc etc, the same folks who recently OK'ed the upcoming carnage to ANWR, the last remaining unspoiled completely intact ecosystem in the US, all for the same amount of oil over ten years we could save if we all decided instead to drive on properly inflated tires. Betcha didn't hear that on CNN.
Well put (sans paragraph break, but I guess that's just your point).

Caleb
03-21-2005, 02:45
But we are all breathing the pollution and being harmed by the pollution. The wisest, and most knowledgeable, of us fight for stringent national laws, for only these have any chance of solving a national, and yes, a world, problem.

Weary
Last week I attended a legislative hearing in Concord NH on a proposed merc reuction bill. The bill, as proposed, was really a subterfugal effort by the industry backed politicos to postpone implementation of legislation NH passed in the 90's to curb merc emissions, yet it was roundly supported by the enviros as a 'step in the right direction'. The bill was passed with provisios for improvements, thanks in part to a fellow from Maine who offered a very blunt and impassioned appeal for NH not to decelerate the clean-up efforts by pointing out that Southern Maine bears the brunt of a lot of NH's pollution, and also by pointing out that NH itself can not expect upwind relief if it isn't willing to do it's fair share of clean-up.

So the idea of the regional connectedness in slowly catching on. C

The Weasel
03-21-2005, 19:50
For those interested in what we can do to help minimize some of the pollution of our parks, I invite you to look at my thread "How to Sh** In The Woods."

The Weasel

Brushy Sage
06-01-2007, 19:56
Air pollution continues to be a problem in the GSMNP. See this article in Asheville Citizen-Times:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770601027

My trail maintenance crew was working today in the Shining Rock wilderness area, north of the Smokys, and there was plenty of coughing and runny noses by the afternoon.

Darwin again
06-02-2007, 08:53
Don't worry, ya'll's little heads 'bout it.
When the oil gets scarce, big coal is really going to get going. You ain't seen nothin' yet, boys and girls.

:banana