PDA

View Full Version : You should do a hiker picnic!

Blissful
05-30-2009, 19:52
Well, you don't have to, of course - :D

...but for the first time, my hubby Skipper and I held a hiker picnic up in the Shenandoahs today - had 18 hikers show and Wb friend Lemni skate and son, and it was an incredible experience for us. We had two guys hitch down the drive just to get to the picnic, met guys from New Brunswick and New Zealand, and even a couple who came on the trail because an apartment fire destroyed all they had but for their hiking gear in storage. I can't begin to tell you what a time it was for us hearing stories of surviving blizzards and daily rain but also sharing laughter and just plain old good times. And we got to share about us as well. The hiker community is great and we're so grateful to be a part of it all.

bullseye
05-30-2009, 20:37
Sounds like it was a great time, I'm sorry I missed it! I'll be down there in 2 weeks with my kids .

10-K
05-31-2009, 12:49
That's pretty cool... Did you plan it or was it spontaneous thing?

mudcap
05-31-2009, 15:22
Very cool of you to do that for fellow hikers.

Blissful
05-31-2009, 19:14
That's pretty cool... Did you plan it or was it spontaneous thing?

We were out taking an evening walk a few weeks back and said, hey let's go ahead and plan a picnic at the end of May for the hikers. Glad we did. Had a great time with them.

10-K
06-01-2009, 05:08
We were out taking an evening walk a few weeks back and said, hey let's go ahead and plan a picnic at the end of May for the hikers. Glad we did. Had a great time with them.

It was a very generous thing to do.

We own some property 3 miles from Devil's Fork Gap and hope to retire up there when our kids get out of school. I've always thought it'd be pretty cool to keep a cooler stocked with drinks on the trail there and from time to time sitting at the trail head offering rides to the store and back to hikers passing by. There's not a lot of options in the 70ish miles between hot springs and erwin.

Mike Way
06-01-2009, 06:36
I'm off the trail for a little while and would have been happy to help. Didn't read your post in time. My wife and I live west of Harrisonburg so it wouldn't have been much of a drive to get up on the Drive. Next time unless I'm on the trail again.

gravy4601
06-03-2009, 22:41
Awesome that's the kind of trail magic i like to read about :sun

It's trail angels like you that help out so much and don't get enough credit for it

so here's a big THANK YOU from me