PDA

View Full Version : Dogs on an end to end?

JOMO
05-30-2009, 21:15
I will be starting an E2E the first week of July with a friend of mine. He wants to bring his dog, but I told him it might not be possible bc from what i have read, the northern parts of the trail are pretty rugged. Can a dog make the trip?

Thanks

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-30-2009, 21:22
I would say that depends on the dog and the person who owns the dog. It really bothers me when I see a thru hiker with a dog that look mal nourished. We have made a choice to make the hike the dog just wants to be with us. If the dog is up for a hike of that caliper, and your friend is willing and able to keep the dog properly supplied (food, water, shots, heartworm medicine, flea and tic treatments, booties, clippers................) you get the idea. If your friend is willing and able to take on the responsibility of caring for a dog on a hike this size, and the dog is young and fit, then sure, but that is a lot of ifs.

Slo-go'en
05-30-2009, 21:45
There are some pretty steep and rocky climbs/decents north of Camels Hump. And a lot of rock all along the trail, which can really tear up a dogs pads if its a normal house pet and not used to such harsh ground.

I once saw a day hiker carrying a 50 pound sheep dog off the summit of Mt Adams in the Whites, cuz its pads were all torn up and bloody.

So, yeah, it really depends on the dog and the owner. Not knowing either, can't really say. Probably best to leave the mut home and not have to deal with all the issues.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-30-2009, 21:49
There are some pretty steep and rocky climbs/decents north of Camels Hump. And a lot of rock all along the trail, which can really tear up a dogs pads if its a normal house pet and not used to such harsh ground.

I once saw a day hiker carrying a 50 pound sheep dog off the summit of Mt Adams in the Whites, cuz its pads were all torn up and bloody.

So, yeah, it really depends on the dog and the owner. Not knowing either, can't really say. Probably best to leave the mut home and not have to deal with all the issues.
Awful image there, but i am glad he was man enough to carry the dog down.

superman
05-30-2009, 22:38
Winter did it twice.

middle to middle
05-30-2009, 22:43
I recall several times passing packs of dogs with tags running deer. No owner.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-30-2009, 23:15
I recall several times passing packs of dogs with tags running deer. No owner.Some states like North Carolina that is how they hunt. What is funny is watching these guys spend all day driving around whistling and yelling trying to get the dogs they keep pinned up year round to get into the tiny cage in the back of the truck. I swear these guys spend more time hunting their dogs than they do hunting deer. It is nice when I run into hunters from states like PA or MT, those guys will spend the entire year watching and tracking deer, moving logs into their trail to force them to go around brush so when season comes they will have a good shot. Then they will go out at midnight, camp out in their little spot and wait till sunrise to get a deer. Ok sorry i went way off topic lol

stranger
05-31-2009, 03:41
I'm sure it can be done but you need to keep in mind that when you hike with a dog you "hike the dog's hike", not yours.

This will also complicate town stops, as most places don't seem to want dogs in their hostel/motel, etc....

There are heaps of porcupines along the Long Trail, something to think about.

Last, the Long Trail is rugged as you suggested. There are some sections of trail that require going up and down ladders, sometimes on narrow sections of trail with drops. This would require extreme care.

I love dogs and like seeing dogs on the trail, but personally, I would not take a dog on a long distance hike, just too many drawbacks for me, and if the dog is hurting they can't exactly tell you, just my view.

m6amba
05-31-2009, 05:04
I recall several times passing packs of dogs with tags running deer. No owner.

around here, there are consequences when that happens............
sadly, not good for the dog/s:(
(dogs chasing deer in PA is illegal)

Quoddy
05-31-2009, 09:53
There are many, many spots on the northern part of the LT that it would be impossible for a dog to climb or descend without the owner carrying it. These spots are difficult enough to do without trying to carry a dog as well.

Another thing to consider is that the dog will not be tolerated in, or close to, many shelters since they will be populated, often to near capacity during July. I'd love to take my dog with me on my next E-2-E this year, but there are just too many drawbacks... and I have to remember that not everyone loves dogs as much as I do.

Slo-go'en
05-31-2009, 10:50
There are heaps of porcupines along the Long Trail, something to think about.

Oh yeah, forgot about the prokies. Thier not as big a problem as they used to be, but thier still around. If the dog encounters a porcupine, he generally ends up with a snout full of quills and that means an expensive trip to a vet to get them removed. I had a freind with a couple of dogs who just couldn't learn to leave those things alone and made many trips to the vet.

I remeber one morning I woke up in a VT shelter with a porkie about to lick the salt off my nose. Don't know who was more suprised when I opened my eyes, me or the porkie :eek:

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-31-2009, 13:02
Oh yeah, forgot about the prokies. Thier not as big a problem as they used to be, but thier still around. If the dog encounters a porcupine, he generally ends up with a snout full of quills and that means an expensive trip to a vet to get them removed. I had a freind with a couple of dogs who just couldn't learn to leave those things alone and made many trips to the vet.

I remeber one morning I woke up in a VT shelter with a porkie about to lick the salt off my nose. Don't know who was more suprised when I opened my eyes, me or the porkie :eek:
Maybe she was just cold and was hoping to crawl into bed with you lol

NorthCountryWoods
06-01-2009, 07:18
The only parts of the trail that would be really difficult for the average dog are the ladders on Mt. Mansfield, which can be bypassed fairly easy.

I would avoid the shelters with a dog (personally I avoid them without a dog), and expect the unexpected.....like 90lbs Jr almost chasing a squirrel off the edge of the lookout on Laraway.

Oh, and if your dog is ahead of you and barking and frothing at the mouth at hikers coming down the trail (like my experience last weekend)....yelling "he's friendly" while he's biting the hikers boot isn't a solution and you might wanna rethink your plans.

If your dog is well trained, well socialized and healthy, you should have a great time.

NorthCountryWoods
06-01-2009, 07:21
I should correct that to "the average hiking dog...".

superman
06-01-2009, 07:41
The only parts of the trail that would be really difficult for the average hiking dog are the ladders on Mt. Mansfield, which can be bypassed fairly easy.

I would avoid the shelters with a dog (personally I avoid them without a dog), and expect the unexpected.....like 90lbs Jr almost chasing a squirrel off the edge of the lookout on Laraway.

Oh, and if your dog is ahead of you and barking and frothing at the mouth at hikers coming down the trail (like my experience last weekend)....yelling "he's friendly" while he's biting the hikers boot isn't a solution and you might wanna rethink your plans.

If your dog is well trained, well socialized and healthy, you should have a great time.

Good post. Winter and I did it in 99 as a shake down hike for the AT. It was difficult in that drought year but it payed off big when we hiked the AT in 2000. Good trail dogs are always welcome on the trails while untrained, unsocialized dogs with indifferent owners aren't welcome by any one.

Bleemus
02-08-2010, 22:25
Thanks for the info. I am planning an E to E hike of the LT and my constant hiking companion Bongo is coming with me. She is strong and trail worthy. Everyone who meets her thinks she is the best dog in the world. I am sure we can make it!

m_factor
02-08-2010, 23:11
Lots of good advice here. Pay close attention to the posts about dealing with dogs and their injuries. Search and Rescue will help with people but are unlikely to respond to calls for dogs in trouble. Be prepared to rescue your own dog if necessary.

There's also the other people on the trail. Not all will like dogs or want to be near them. Keep dogs away from others' belongings, food, and away from water sources, as well. Your dog should hike with you at all times, not ahead of you - or should be on leash, a difficult prospect on a trail as rough as the LT. Expect to carry the dog at times, easier with a small dog but necessary even with a large dog.

I've got a full write-up on my web site at:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/dogs.html

Most (not all) dog owners prefer to hike with their dogs. Most (not all) dogs are better off not on the trail.

Whatever you do, I hope you, your friend, and the dog if it hikes with you have a great time.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

lazy river road
02-08-2010, 23:54
Im hikeing the LT this summer, leaving SOBO Last week in June, I say bring the dog purely because I like dogs. But from a pratical sense I could see this being very difficult espically on some of those nothern sections. Those elevations charts look pretty ruff. Has the dog ever hiked this much before. How does it do with commands, could you carry it if you needed to. Is your friend ready to carry the dogs food weight, cloths, booty, xtra water etc. Im not one to say dogs dont belong on the trail but like the person it depends on the dog.. HOpe to see you on the trail this summer

Toolshed
02-09-2010, 08:24
.... Everyone who meets her thinks she is the best dog in the world. I am sure we can make it!

If I had a nickel for every dog owner I said that to over the years, in order to end a painfully boring conversation surrounding how wonderful their dogs were. :D