PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS?

pootrak
05-31-2009, 03:20
I would love to get a small, handheld GPS, that can be used for numerous things, such as hiking, walking, but also driving.

I've recently started volunteering for a local hiking group and they'd like me to walk a few trails and rate distances. My current phone won't handle this. I used to have a car GPS but it was only for streets and wasn't that good. Finding a GPS that can do accurate distances would be good.

Is there a good, small handheld GPS that can help me drive when I get lost but also help me follow hiking trails and calculate distance, etc.? Something that can be charged via USB (so I don't have to waste batteries) would be good. Built in compass, altitude, location, etc. would be great, too. Color screen not needed.

m6amba
05-31-2009, 04:50
i use a garmin orgeon 200, with city and topo maps loaded on a 2gb miniSD card
works GREAT for both on and off road navigation

the 300 and 400 and 500 all come with an electronic compass etc, the 550 comes with a camera too, and it automatically geo-tags photos....goes for a hefty price though
and a color screen, if you cant tell, i LOVE my oregon 200
i am thinking about selling it and upgrading to the 550 with a camera though, since i carry a 3.2MP camera anyway, and my gps, having both in one unit would save weight/time

there is an available windshield mount for driving if you need it, i just lay it in the console, and i use rechargeable batteries for all short/day trips, and for overnighters, for longer trips i carry lithium batts, last a bit longer, but for the recharging, unfortunately it does not charge by usb, BUT i found a 10$ solution to this, energizer sells a 2 aa/aaa charger that plugs into the usb on a computer, and even comes with a set of batts, for use in the car (charging extra set on the way to the trail) i have a 5$ cig lighter-usb adapter, i plug it into lighter socket, then plug usb charger into that

i know i tend to ramble, but i hope i helped you.

fiddlehead
05-31-2009, 05:25
There are a few threads on here.
Try the search function.
I use a Garmin 60 CSX as some others on here do also.
I am happy with it.