PDA

View Full Version : Most popular of your Member Gallery photos?

Rain Man
06-24-2004, 18:49
Any of you with a Member Gallery notice which photos are the most popular?

I have several dozen photos in my Member Gallery. I was just looking at the "number of views." Most of my pics have 300 to 400 views. Some more, some less.

However, ONE has 1,500 views and one has 1,000 views! Why the spike in interest, I wondered.

It seems hikers want to see snakes and girls. LOL Guess which was the copperhead snake and which was a cute pic of Grass!
:cool:
Any of you other WhiteBlazers with Member Galleries ever notice some pics get a real spike in number of views?

Rain Man

SGT Rock
06-24-2004, 20:21
I have never paid attention to it. I suppose I should look.

Hammock Hanger
06-24-2004, 20:41
Well I went back and looked. The most looked at pic was of the Barefoot Sister's 2952 hits!!! Second was of the Barefoot Sisters 1672.... do I see a trend, pretty cute and famous.

I also had pretty strong hits on PRIVIES... What does that say about us?

Then it sort of averaged out between 450-700. (Some of the high numbers were pics that have been posted longer.)

Sue/HH

Youngblood
06-24-2004, 20:49
I think it varies for mine. What surprised me the most was the photos that got the least views.

We do get a lot views thought, we are closing in on the 1 million mark. I think we hit a 1/4 million back in november.

A-Train
06-24-2004, 23:37
If you go on Trailjornals, females get the most hits. Females with lots of pics get even more hits and CUTE females with lots of pics get ridiculous amounts of hits..

Jan Liteshoe has by far blown everyone out of the water. A great writer and she raised tons of money and awareness for her charity for hospice.

Make of it what you will

Lone Wolf
06-25-2004, 00:19
Chicks rock!! Bring em on!

Pencil Pusher
06-25-2004, 00:22
Uh...:o well, Rain Man... maybe I'm responsible for a few of those views. I understand she climbs too...:jump

Percival
06-25-2004, 01:45
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/86/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3005/password/0/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

Jaybird
06-25-2004, 07:57
RainMan:

i guess with the majority of hikers being guys....& considering the lonely times you have out on the trail....the numbers of "hits" on the photos of cute girls is NOT SURPRISING to me! :D

see ya'll in the PHOTO GALLERY!

Lone Wolf
06-25-2004, 07:59
Wonder who the homos are checkin out?

Hammock Hanger
06-25-2004, 08:19
Wonder who the homos are checkin out?

YOU!!!! :p

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Sue/HH

Lone Wolf
06-25-2004, 08:24
That's SO unlike you, HH. :)

Hammock Hanger
06-25-2004, 08:26
That's SO unlike you, HH. :)
I know, I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed. Sue/HH

Pencil Pusher
06-25-2004, 12:51
You should take that as a compliment, LW. I bet the woman aren't looking for the skinny dorks with scraggly beards all the time, to make them go :jump while on the trail. Both the gay guys and straight women probably have that in common, looking for a cute guy. Having a chisel chest or big muscles helps, especially if the guy is sporting one of those scraggly beards. Otherwise, women generally love a good looking charismatic guy in good shape (just shave the Abe Lincoln beard fer cripes sake). What I'd be curious to know is, do gay guys get turned on by men in kilts?:-? If straight guys get turned on by women in skirts (eternal fact), I'd think the same for the other side of the coin.

food
06-25-2004, 13:12
I looked in a gentlemans magazine and it was filled with pictures of attractive, clothing challenged women. I looked in a woman's magazine (Cosmo) and it was filled with the same thing. Even women prefer to look at women.

Sorry guys, but we aren't much to look at.

I am very fortunate that my wife is not as shallow as I am.

Pencil Pusher
06-25-2004, 13:34
But that's comparing apples to oranges. If you're going to look in Cosmo to see what influences women, look in Men's Health to see what guys look at. No way dude, if you use Playboy for one side, then you must use Playgirl for the other. That is a direct comparison.

Shallow? We're just talking about eye candy...

celt
06-25-2004, 18:21
My most popular photo and #3 on White Blaze is of an unremarkable little shelter on the northern Long Trail called "Emily Proctor". I noticed it was my most popular picture last fall and couldn't understand why so I Googled "Emily Proctor" and came up with a page full of websites dedicated to "Emily Procter" the attractive actress from the TV show CSI Miami. Down at the bottom of the first of many pages of hits was my picture. So thanks to Emily Procter fans who can't spell her name correct my photo appears to be very popular.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/994

SGT Rock
06-25-2004, 18:57
My most viewed is the Dead Hiker photo. Maybe there are some morbid people out there looking for a dead hiker.

Youngblood
06-26-2004, 08:37
My most popular photo and #3 on White Blaze is of an unremarkable little shelter on the northern Long Trail called "Emily Proctor". I noticed it was my most popular picture last fall and couldn't understand why so I Googled "Emily Proctor" and came up with a page full of websites dedicated to "Emily Procter" the attractive actress from the TV show CSI Miami. Down at the bottom of the first of many pages of hits was my picture. So thanks to the fans of Emily Procter the actress who can't spell her name correct my photo appears to be very popular.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/994

That's a great story! I wonder what goes through their minds, thinking that they are going to see a photo of a beautiful actress, and then they see this dinky little structure out in the middle of nowhere? Web searches sometimes works in mystorious ways, or is that mysterious ways?

I have photos of all the AT shelters in Georgia. When some folks started linking them to AT databases, my 'hit count' shot way up relative to other folks. I'm guessing that the databases were so time consuming to generate that most folks quit linking to shelter photos once they got all of Georgia's in.

Youngblood

Kozmic Zian
06-26-2004, 21:23
Yea.....I guess I noticed that the 'group' shots seemed to peak everyones interest. Also, pics of unusual subject matter or of animals, moose, snakes, bears. Sunsets and waterfalls, too. KZ@

The Old Fhart
06-27-2004, 08:06
My top 2 hits seem to be a black snake and a photo of Lone Wolf kissing a white blaze. Model T and 2 SOBOs (Smooth & Waldo, 2003) are right up there as well. I think it may be whatever grabs the viewer, whether it be a catchy title or just the catergory it is in. I've tried to post a wide range of subjects but some of my shots haven't been up long enough to really tell if they will be popular or not. Sometimes my favorites don't get many hits at all. It may be that a favorite photo has more meaning to some viewers than others depending who you were hiking with at the time, weather, etc..

c.coyle
06-27-2004, 10:54
My top 2 hits seem to be a black snake and a photo of Lone Wolf kissing a white blaze. ...

Snakes and deviant behavior. Not surprising.

My biggest hitter is just a picture of a weird note I found on the floor of the Clark's Ferry shelter in Pa.

Timber rattler shots are 2nd and 3rd.

Update: Sonnuvagun, all three come up in the top 10 on Google.

Pencil Pusher
06-27-2004, 17:03
Deja Vu is a looker on trailjournals. I couldn't find a Shotgun Willies there, though.

Kerosene
06-28-2004, 08:32
I was most surprised that some of my nicer photos only had 200-300 hits. The most popular was The Rocks of Pennsylvania (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/75/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/1) (viewers must be masochistic at heart) with 758 hits, followed by pictures of shelters and people. Any picture labelled "Shenendoah Valley" also has a surprising number of hits, probably from external searches.

Lobo
06-28-2004, 10:18
My photos have only been posted for 2 months but already the Barefoot Sisters photo forged ahead of other shots I thought were more interesting to the Most Views position.

Rain Man
06-28-2004, 11:42
Seems I have learned one thing from this forum.... that is, the title of the photos can be critical (or a red herring) for number of hits and judging same.

Curious.

Titles can be more influential than the subject or quality of the photo. Reminds me that for all its supposed sizzle and dazzle, the Web is really textual.

Rain Man

MOWGLI
06-28-2004, 12:29
Hey Rain Man, thanks for the inspiration with this thread. I uploaded a bunch of photos (mostly non-A.T) to the gallery today, including a great shot of a copperhead. There is some really nice stuff in there.

My favorite photographer seems to be Old Fhart. He takes some great photos!

Pencil Pusher
06-28-2004, 16:00
Titles can be more influential than the subject or quality of the photo. Reminds me that for all its supposed sizzle and dazzle, the Web is really textual.

If we're talking photos only, since these boards are text based, I don't 'search' the photos here. I just browse them and depending on what the thumbnail looks like, open them. Though Rock did make a good point with his 'Dead hiker' example. But the majority of the time for me, it is all visual based. I see what looks like an attractive girl and then click on the photo to enlarge. Even then, this reference to female pictures was only given because of how this thread started. Most of the pictures I've viewed have been without women, or incidental. Old Phart does have some good photos, as do quite a few other folks here.

steve hiker
08-02-2004, 05:23
This is one of my favorites, from the Tail Journals page:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=23063

Pencil Pusher
08-02-2004, 06:14
JJ, they sure don't slack on the entries nor photos...

SavageLlama
08-02-2004, 18:55
This is one of my favorites, from the Tail Journals page:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=23063she's a cutie..

http://www.anotherzero.com/tj/photos/1129/imtrailmixbreak.jpg

steve hiker
08-02-2004, 19:15
she's a cutie....
Mmmmmmmmm ... YUM!

smokymtnsteve
08-02-2004, 20:22
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=23735

steve hiker
08-07-2004, 20:03
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=24554

eyahiker
08-07-2004, 23:02
I like SGT Rock's the best so far. He's always IN his photos, not just nature shots......how'd he do dat?:-? :)

SGT Rock
08-08-2004, 10:06
I like SGT Rock's the best so far. He's always IN his photos, not just nature shots......how'd he do dat?:-? :)

I have one of these Ultrapods (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=606) that only weighs 1.6 ounces and a camera with a timer. You can set it up as a tripod or strap it to a tree. Some of the best shots come from using trees for support because of the cool angles you can get. Anyway, I read an article somewhere on photography that reccomended trying to get shots with people in them isntead for just taking shots of vistas because it gives a better idea of perspective or scale to the viewer. Since I often hike solo, then I decided this little gizom would do the trick, and so far I am very happy with it. :sun

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=555/5IMG005-med.JPG

Blue Jay
08-08-2004, 16:59
Old Phart is also my favorite trail photographer. Somehow he seems to not only get the visual details but also the emotional feel of the time and place. More than just having a good eye.

Kerosene
08-08-2004, 20:51
Old Phart is also my favorite trail photographer. Somehow he seems to not only get the visual details but also the emotional feel of the time and place. More than just having a good eye.The Old Fhart obviously operates at a higher level of expertise than most of us.

SGT Rock
08-08-2004, 21:14
Agreed. The Old Fhart could teach most of us a thing or two about outdoor photography.

smokymtnsteve
08-08-2004, 23:36
The Old Phart could teach most of a thing or two about a lot of stuff!