PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good starting location?

pattydivins
05-31-2009, 17:50
My friend and I intend to start hiking NOBO on June 15th. Our ultimate goal would be to make it the northern terminus of the trail in Maine for the first week of August.

Could anybody give me an estimate of what you would think is a good place to start from to meet this time constraint?

celt
05-31-2009, 18:02
Figuring on averaging 12 miles a day for about 50 days starting somewhere in Massachusetts would work. You could use North Adams or if you'd like a notable peak to kick off your hike, Mt. Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts. You could either hike up Greylock from Cheshire or use the auto-road to drive to the summit.

pattydivins
05-31-2009, 18:13
Me and by buddy are in pretty good shape- I figure we might be able to start doing 20 mile days on flatter terrain- Do you think where the trail first enters Connecticut would be a good start?

warraghiyagey
05-31-2009, 18:52
If you intend to get to Katahdin in 6 to 7 weeks Hanover NH would be a safe bet provided you're ready to do lot's of climbing right off the bat and tackle the toughest 500 miles on the trail. . . have a great time. . . :sun:sun
We'll be in the 100 mile first week of August headed to Monson. . .

saimyoji
05-31-2009, 19:25
My friend and I intend to start hiking NOBO on June 15th. Our ultimate goal would be to make it the northern terminus of the trail in Maine for the first week of August.

Could anybody give me an estimate of what you would think is a good place to start from to meet this time constraint?

Are you locked into going NOBO? which is more important to you guys, hiking NOBO from 6/15 or climbing Katahdin? If its the former, follow warrgy's advice; if the latter, why not go SOBO? then you don't have to rush....

pattydivins
05-31-2009, 21:21
If you intend to get to Katahdin in 6 to 7 weeks Hanover NH would be a safe bet provided you're ready to do lot's of climbing right off the bat and tackle the toughest 500 miles on the trail. . . have a great time. . . :sun:sun
We'll be in the 100 mile first week of August headed to Monson. . .

I don't know if we would be able to start out on the toughest section right away. I am in good shape, but I am by no means in great hiking shape. I would also like to travel through the Green Mountains in VT- I hear they are cool do you think this it is worth it?

Maybe we'll start in northern Connecticut- I wonder how far we'd make it

warraghiyagey
05-31-2009, 21:34
I don't know if we would be able to start out on the toughest section right away. I am in good shape, but I am by no means in great hiking shape. I would also like to travel through the Green Mountains in VT- I hear they are cool do you think this it is worth it?

Maybe we'll start in northern Connecticut- I wonder how far we'd make it

That may work better for you. . . get a hundred miles or so in before you hit the bigger climbs. . . would be tough to make it to Katahdin in 6/7 weeks, but doable if everything goes well. . . that's a good idea though just to go til you are out of time and enjoy it for what it is. . . have a great time. . .:)

pattydivins
05-31-2009, 22:16
It's not the destination (although it would feel nice to finish as the end ya know?) it is the journey.

warraghiyagey
05-31-2009, 22:24
It's not the destination (although it would feel nice to finish as the end ya know?) it is the journey.

And that is why you will have a great hike. . . :sun

Blissful
05-31-2009, 22:33
If you start in New England (like CT) you'll get time to build your trail legs before the tough seciotns of NH and ME NH. but I think the idea of doing "20s" right off the bat not a good idea. If it's the journey and not the destination, take the time and enjoy it. Go as far as you can.

emerald
05-31-2009, 23:02
It's not the destination (although it would feel nice to finish at the end ya know?) it is the journey.

I wouldn't want to miss out on ending at Katahdin and would start far enough north to ensure I'd have time enough to accomplish that objective.

The initial suggestion still strikes me as good. Don't expect more than 12 mpd at the outset. If more feels good, fine. Should you find yourselves with time to spare in the 100 miles, you won't be pressed to hike long days and you will be glad for the additional time. You'll find plenty of ways to spend the time you've earned.

10-K
06-01-2009, 05:17
This is a serious question, please do not attach a "Holier than thou" sentiment to it. I completely honor the HYOH code of ethics.

But, if a person only hikes 12 mpd, what are they doing all day?

Like I said, it doesn't affect me at all - if someone wants to take off their boots every 50' that's cool. 12 miles is just... well... not very far if a person is hiking during daylight hours.

pattydivins
06-01-2009, 06:50
I wouldn't want to miss out on ending at Katahdin and would consider starting far enough north to ensure I'd have time enough to accomplish that objective.

The initial suggestion still strikes me as good. Don't expect more than 12 mpd at the outset. If more feels good, fine. Should you find yourselves with time to spare in the 100 miles, you won't be pressed to hike long days and you will be glad for the additional time. You'll find plenty of ways to spend the time you've earned.

What initial suggestion are you referring to? Thanks :)

pattydivins
06-01-2009, 06:52
This is a serious question, please do not attach a "Holier than thou" sentiment to it. I completely honor the HYOH code of ethics.

Like I said, it doesn't affect me at all - if someone wants to take off their boots every 50' that's cool. 12 miles is just... well... not very far if a person is hiking during daylight hours.

As a young hiker who has some experience hiking miles during the day I have to agree- 12 miles a day does seem like it would be easy to accomplish. Given that I would need these light days at the onset to get my legs in shape- I think if we were really in the mood to push it every now and then on certain days we'd certainly be able to speed it up to help with time constraints.

fiddlehead
06-01-2009, 07:00
I think the Greylock idea is a good one.
Enjoy!

Ridge Rat
06-01-2009, 08:43

While I agree that 12 is a bit short, 20 is a big push even with the amount of daylight given. The body is just not ready for that sort of pounding usually. I consider myself in great shape for being a section hiker, but still start to hurt after about 18 miles. I normally will only push 18 to 20's and not go any furthur just to avoid injury since I am not on the trail 7 days a week. I got tendonitis from doing too many miles at one point and its really hard to recover. I would prefer to take an extra day to get to where I am going then spend weeks off the trail due to severe ankle pain.

emerald
06-01-2009, 14:03
What initial suggestion are you referring to? Thanks :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=846358&postcount=2

While 12 mpd might not seem like much, southern Vermont isn't flat. You don't want to overexert and injure yourself, you want to stand on Katahdin if you can. It's all about ensuring insofar as possible the outcome you desire.

Like I said, if more miles feel right, hike them. You'll buy time for a half day off at Hanover or Gorham, the opportunity to wait a day if the weather du Jour when you reach the Presidential Range is not to your liking, a side trip to Gulf Hagas, a short day when you fall in love with where Antlers Camp once stood and would rather stay a little longer, etc. You'll understand when you get there and be glad you have time and options.

If you finish a week early and run out of things to do, you can do my job for me while I spend the week in Baxter State Park. Deal?

pattydivins
06-01-2009, 21:12
Sounds good to me- I could use a few extra bucks at the end of this trip. I think Massachusetts will be the starting location- does anyone know a good point to start at here and how to get there?

Gulf Hagas looks really cool- that might be worth a side trip for sure.

emerald
06-01-2009, 21:39
I think Massachusetts will be the starting location- does anyone know a good point to start at here and how to get there?

Click on the link in my signature to download the Companion files. I'd think you'll need to get to New York or Boston, then take a bus to Williamstown.

Download AT Strip Map (http://www.nps.gov/appa/planyourvisit/upload/APPA%20Map.pdf) and read Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm) while you're at it. You'll have most of the information you'll need.

Make sure you have your gear squared away before you depart.

pattydivins
06-02-2009, 10:01
Thanks- I ordered the ATC data book last week- so I hope to get it in soon- will this give me the same data?

Also- in traveling around this time can I expect to see a lot of hikers? Will the trails/shelters be crowded you think?

pattydivins
06-02-2009, 10:11
Also- emerald you gave me some ideas for points of interest that I should stop along, does anybody else have any recommendations for places that I should stop to check out along the way?

emerald
06-02-2009, 12:27
I recommend ATC's maps and a compass. Learn how to use them before your hike.

Some places along the beaten path are quite a few miles from anything resembling a town. Should you become seperated from the trail or in the event it's deemed necessary to leave it and proceed to the nearest town, you'll need the tools, skills and judgement to navigate without the AT's white blazes to guide you.

Before someone calls me out on what I posted, I'm not suggesting a straight line to the nearest homes on a map through unknown territory is a good idea. Staying put on the A.T. could be a wise decision depending upon the circumstances. I'm adding options, options which require varying degrees of skill and sound judgement to employ.

emerald
06-02-2009, 12:32
Thanks- I ordered the ATC data book last week- so I hope to get it in soon- will this give me the same data?

You may not realize Appalachian Trail Data Book and Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion are two different publications. I'm not certain which you ordered. What's available at the link in my signature was updated in 2008 for publication in 2009.

If you ordered Appalachian Trail Data Book, you may find some additional information useful. Maps of towns you expect to visit, service providers' names, hours of operation and phone numbers might help you to use your time in town more efficiently.

You will make your life easier by gathering information about conditions ahead as you hike and you can make yourself useful to others who help you by remembering information which may be of use to them.

Your Appalachian Trail Data Book is a good place to record this information.

emerald
06-02-2009, 17:02
Expect to encounter other hikers. You will be more likely to be overtaken by northbound through hikers than to encounter southbound through hikers initially, but the number of southbounders will increase as you advance. You'll see plenty of day hikers and short-term hikers too.

Any guess as to the actual numbers of hikers you encounter would be only a guess. Do not expect to have use of shelters and always be prepared to provide your own shelter.

emerald
06-02-2009, 17:28
From Vermont's boarder to just beyond Sherburne Pass when you head for New Hampshire and Maine, the Appalachian Trail runs concurrent with The Long Trail. It's maintained by Green Mountain Club (GMC) and ends at the US boarder with Canada.

You may desire to return to Vermont and finish it when you have the opportunity. I suggest you visit GMC's website to learn more about GMC and The Long Trail. You may meet some of their summer field staff.

emerald
06-02-2009, 18:36
What are your plans regarding resupply and what questions, if any, do you have related to that topic?

pattydivins
06-02-2009, 21:20
To be clear- I have ordered the Data Book from ATC- still waiting for it in the mail.

I am a little uncertain about resupplying. I assume that it will be relatively clear the towns that I will be able to resupply food. I think we will be packing enough food for 5-7 days (depending on distance between resupply points). Will the data book give me a good idea of where I will be able to resupply?

Blissful
06-02-2009, 21:28
You can check out my blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/search/label/Mail%20Drops) to see where we resupplied in '07 in New England.

Also check out Jack Tarlin's article on resupply options in WB articles area

You don't want to pack food for 7 days, esp in New England terrain. I can tell you that for a fact.

emerald
06-02-2009, 21:58
Will the data book give me a good idea of where I will be able to resupply?

The Data Book indicates where you will find shelters, campsites, water, road crossings, food and lodgings. It does not provide details such as may be found in the Companion.

You may find it advantageous to print out some of the town maps and transfer some of the information from Companion files to your Data Book.

emerald
06-02-2009, 22:01
Weathercarrot's Ideas (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=22959&highlight=Ideas+inexpensive+hike#post22959) is a valuable planning resource. Keep in mind when it was written and refer to the Companion for current information about services.

bigcranky
06-02-2009, 22:10
Will the data book give me a good idea of where I will be able to resupply?

Yes, but that data is minimal in the extreme. It tells you that groceries are available in town and how far that town is from the trail, but nothing more. No idea if "groceries" is a full-service supermarket or a gas station convenience store with limited food.

The Companion and the other trail guides give much more useful information (in my opinion), including small maps of towns showing locations of hiker services. Very helpful and I would definitely recommend carrying one. These books also have the mileage data from the Databook. You can cut out the pages you need, if you don't want to carry the whole book.

Change of subject:

10-K -- Most beginning backpackers would find 12 miles to be a *very* full day's hike. Based on what I've seen in Georgia in March, 8 miles per day can be a lot. Seriously. (As for what those folks are doing with all that time, well, I talked with one guy who took four hours to break camp in the morning.)

Thru-hikers and those doing long sections can quickly move up to 15 miles or more per day, but unless they've had a lot of trail time, should probably start around 10 or 12 mpd and work from there.

Long distance hikers who can continually knock out 20s every day on the A.T. are a very small minority of backpackers. If you are in that group, that's great.

bigcranky
06-02-2009, 22:12
Let me add that, if you didn't notice the link in Emerald's sig, you can download the Companion here (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm). Check it out and see if you want to buy the book.

pattydivins
06-03-2009, 14:01
Okay thanks for the advice- I may supplement my data book with some companion files- especially about re-supply points and such. I am so excited- I slept in my tent in my backyard last night- started raining/lightning at 4am (my mom wasn't too happy about that).

I may go for 3 day 2 night hike coming up soon to get a feel for things I need to make me comfortable. Also a good way to break in the boots.

Blissful
06-03-2009, 14:10
I am so excited- I slept in my tent in my backyard last night- started raining/lightning at 4am (my mom wasn't too happy about that).

I may go for 3 day 2 night hike coming up soon to get a feel for things I need to make me comfortable. Also a good way to break in the boots.

cool. Good idea

BTW - Trail runners are good too. No breaking in required and less blister issues because they breathe better and dry out quicker. But if you've got the boots thats ok.

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 14:21

Great idea. Then do it again <g>. More trail time = happier person, for me anyway.

emerald
06-03-2009, 17:10
Don't forget to check for ticks! If you miss one, you could end up an unhappy camper.:(

celt
06-03-2009, 19:43
..if a person only hikes 12 mpd, what are they doing all day?

12 mile per day is an average. It will include days <12 mi, >12 mi and zero days. Its not a high average mileage goal for a long distance hike on the A.T. but its a good suggestion when you don't know much about the person because its usually obtainable.

I finished my thru hike in 155 days (including 9 zeros) with a 14 mpd average. My average mpd peaked at 16 in NJ. I slowed down in New England both because I wanted to savor the hike and because NH and ME are tough (and I grew up hiking the Whites).

I hiked my share of 12 mile days. The early ones took most of the day and the later ones I probably did take off my boots more than once but I never remember finishing a 12 mile day and being bummed because I had nothing to do. Except for the first one: I had diarrhea (remember, you asked!)

pattydivins
06-03-2009, 23:49
Will re-supply points be easy to locate from the trail?

warraghiyagey
06-04-2009, 08:11
Sounds good to me- I could use a few extra bucks at the end of this trip. I think Massachusetts will be the starting location- does anyone know a good point to start at here and how to get there?

Gulf Hagas looks really cool- that might be worth a side trip for sure.

Will re-supply points be easy to locate from the trail?

Yupperdoodle. . . If you start in Mass and head north, the Data Book lists all the crossroads and towns that have resupply, and hitches are fairly easy to come by. . .

pattydivins
06-04-2009, 17:39
Okay boys, I've pretty much got all of my gear. I am going to list everything- do you think you could critique what I have?

Packing list:
REI Mars 85 Liter Pack
2 Stuff sacks (1 for food, 1 for clothes)
Pack Cover
Pack Towel

Sleeping list:
Sierra Designs Light Year 1 Tent
Kelty Cosmic 20^o rated synthetic bag
EMS Self-inflating Sleep Pad

Food list:
GSI Dualist Cooking system (My friend is bringing a stove)
Lightweight Spork

Water List:
2L Platypus Water Bladder
1L Nalgene
.75L Camelback bottle
Iodine/Chlorine Water Treatment (enough for 25 quarts) (Friend is bringing water filter)

Hygiene list:
Small roll of toilet paper
Bottle of Dr. Bronners Liquid soap
Toothbrush/Toothpaste
Purrell Antibacterial handcleaner

Clothes List:
2 Patagonia capeline 1 t-shirts
1 Patagonia long sleve capeline 2 crew
Lightweight running pants
Underarmor insulated pants (not made from cotton)
Lightweight fleece
Gore-tex rainjacket
3 pairs of smart-wool socks
2 pairs of underwear
1 ball cap

Random Things:
Pocket Knife
Waterproof Matches/Small Bic lighter
First aid (New Skin, Neosporin, Duct Tape, Gauzes, Aspirin)
*Any other things I need for first aid?
Trash Bag
LED Flash light (not sure about a headlamp yet)
Bug Spray (100% Deet)
Bandana
Multivitamin
ATC Trail Data Book (supplemented with companion files and strip map of section)
Compass
Walking Stick

And of course Food

I think I nailed everything, if you think I am missing anything let me know, or if you have any helpful suggestions... Thanks! :)

Alli
06-05-2009, 10:36
Ditch the Nalgene and .75 Liter Camelbak. Use two Gatorade bottles instead. They are much lighter.

pattydivins
06-05-2009, 21:51
Does the AT summit Mt. Washington?

celt
06-06-2009, 10:13
Yes it does.

pattydivins
06-06-2009, 10:23
Awesome- I am looking forward to that. I just realized what I thought was a tall mountain that I have hiked before was only 1532' feet high! This is going to be so cool. Any thoughts on my gear list on the previous page?

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 11:03
I'd ditch the nalgene or the Plat bottle. . . you won't need both. . .
Oh. . . and definitely ditch the flashlight and go with the headlamp. . . . You'll see why your first night out there. . . :sun

emerald
06-06-2009, 15:55
Learn what conditions can be expected above treeline and be prepared for them. By prepared, I mean know the current weather forecast and make plans based upon it.

Your gear list should reflect what will be required for these exposed areas. Add mittens and a West Virginia toboggan (watch cap) or balaclava.

It may be best to wait out bad weather. When conditions are favorable, hike! Don't dawdle. Get off the high, exposed ground and below the trees especially on days when electrical storms are apt to develop.