PDA

View Full Version : MST Skyline Drive to Stone Mountain Park

Ashman
05-31-2009, 19:54
Does anyone know the elevation gain/loss from the Skyline Drive at Devil's Garden overlook down to the Stone Mountain State Park Campsite? I did this section this weekend and it was a serious hike (for me at least) It would be neat to know how much climbing was invloved. The only map I had was the State Park one and it was worthless.

Walessp
05-31-2009, 23:16
Ashman

Elevation of Stone Mountain State Park campground NC, according to a quick websearch, is 3200 feet. Devils Garden overlook is listed as 3428 feet. I can't believe it either! I remember this as a steep ascent too.

BTW, if you're looking for a hiking buddy for the MST, I'm in GSO too. I'm at MP 280 on the BRP headed west. I'm open to roadwalks too (at any section I haven't completed).

Outlaw

Ashman
06-01-2009, 10:06
That HAS to be a typo! There is a lot more than 200 feet of change on that hike. There is some undulation but for the most part it is all one direction. I'm very surprised.

littlelaurel59
06-01-2009, 11:38
I don't have maps with me at present, but my memory says that the climb from the valley floor to the top of Stone Mountain is about 700 ft. The overlook (off the BRP, not the Skyline Drive), across the valley, appears to be a little higher. Perhaps the 3200 ft. you quote is from the top of Stone Mountain.

I will have to check my topos when I get home.

Ashman
06-01-2009, 12:04
Yes Blue Ridge Parkway, my mistake, I am planning a trip to SNP in a month and my my terms messed up.

Bear Bag
06-01-2009, 21:32
According to another site I found via a web search, the elevation gain from Traphill, NC to the Roaring Gap overlook is 1700 feet. IIRC, there is not much of a climb, if any, from Traphill to the campground. Add another couple of hundred feet up to the Devil's Garden Overlook, and the total elevation gain is about 1900 feet. That sounds more like it.

I have done that portion of the trail, and it is a bear of a climb.

JustLee
06-02-2009, 16:48
Check out the following WEB page

http://www.ncmst.org/mstsectionsmaps/section18/section18.html