PDA

View Full Version : no stove

bluffhead
05-31-2009, 20:14
if one has no problem eating all cold food , has anyone thru hiked with out using a stove at all?

Spock
05-31-2009, 20:26
Yep, folks do so frequently. It can get old, but what doesn't. It is not difficult to get all the nutrients you need without cooking. Bachelors do it all the time.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-31-2009, 20:29
I did portion of California, and a large section of Arizona without a stove, but I still cooked my ramen. I opened the bag, poured water into the bag and let it sit in the sun. I actually had a stove on both trips but one time was out of fuel and the other I had broken my stove.
My question though is as light as a stove is, why not bring one?

Phoenix7
05-31-2009, 22:19
I wouldn't go stove-less in cold weather though.

Feral Bill
05-31-2009, 22:26
I did a few days in Harriman a couple of years ago on all cold food. I didn't want the hassle of shipping my stove. It worked out fine but for most hikes I pack the trusty SVEA and eat hot meals.

Blissful
05-31-2009, 22:27
Jen Pharr did the PCT without one.

garlic08
05-31-2009, 23:44
It's not the weight of the stove that made me leave it behind.

Partially it's the fuel--weight and logistics.

And I like to hike simply, with easy resupply, and not looking for or mailing fuel is one less thing to worry about. Cold food is easier to resupply, too. I can usually resupply at convenience stores with bread, tortillas, cheese, peanut butter, crackers, cookies, deli sandwiches, fruit, etc, so I go into fewer towns and spend less time there if I do.

For me, hiking is more fun without cooking--no clean up, less water needed, less time not hiking, and easier to eat under shelter in inclement weather.

Survivor Dave
06-01-2009, 00:22
I am considering going stoveless for the first part of my hike next year in Mid-April and see how it goes. I might pick it up again in the later months...not sure yet though.
With 8 oz. of fuel, stove, and the little things that go along with it, it weighs just over a pound for all of it.
I agree that it is easier to re-supply cold foods. I think when I get to towns, I will go for the hot foods.

Here's a pic of the set up. I didn't need the measuring syringe and the condiment bag is not there either.
http://www.trailplace.com/photopost/data/512/medium/IMG_0759.JPG

Sorry Skids, don't shoot me.

World-Wide
06-01-2009, 02:15
[quote=garlic08;846546]I can usually resupply at convenience stores with bread, tortillas, cheese.....

Hate to go off subject, but what kind of cheese are hikers eating on the trail? Most require refrigeration. Cheese-Whiz, Kraft singles?? I can live off tortillas and cheese weeks on end if I had too! :) Appreciate any advice! W-W

Wrangler88
06-01-2009, 02:40
[quote=garlic08;846546]I can usually resupply at convenience stores with bread, tortillas, cheese.....

Hate to go off subject, but what kind of cheese are hikers eating on the trail? Most require refrigeration. Cheese-Whiz, Kraft singles?? I can live off tortillas and cheese weeks on end if I had too! :) Appreciate any advice! W-W

I just got back from Big Bend and took some string cheese with me. It says to keep refrigerated but ... I obviously didn't. It tasted fine and I'm in good health.

World-Wide
06-01-2009, 02:42
[quote=World-Wide;846585]

I just got back from Big Bend and took some string cheese with me. It says to keep refrigerated but ... I obviously didn't. It tasted fine and I'm in good health.

Thanks! :)

garlic08
06-01-2009, 13:43

Cheese is the old world's solution to how to store milk without refrigeration. So the new world comes along and says you must refrigerate cheese. Go figure. Cheese lasts a long time in a pack, up to six days in hot weather for me. The best stuff I found on the AT was the Cabot cheddar with the black wax coating--fantastic. Do yourself a favor and get the best cheese you can find and try to stay away from the over-processed stuff. String cheese works well in hot weather because you don't get oil all over.

sarbar
06-01-2009, 14:33
Yep, hard cheese carries well. Sure, it will get soft and oily but is fine to eat. To keep longer cut into 1 ounce chunks, then dip in paraffin or beeswax a couple times to seal. Or carry a big chunk of cheddar but make sure you use clean hands/knife to cut it. Your grubby hands are your worst enemy ;-)
Just don't carry soft cheese in hot temps, that can go bad. Though cream cheese will carry fine for a day or two.

You can also get many cheese types in shelf stable these days. For example, Laughing Cow wheels of the foil wrapped wedges are shelf stable, though sold in the chill chest at the store.

Phoenix7
06-01-2009, 22:29
As far as meats go, pepperoni sticks are probably a good way to pack the protein.

jersey joe
06-09-2009, 13:27
Not bringing a stove is an interesting concept but isn't the weight savings from not bringing a stove and fuel offset by the need to bring hydrated food, like cheese and peperoni as opposed to dry pasta foods?

Dicentra
06-09-2009, 13:56
I did an article for ALDHA-West a few months back on stove-free food ideas.

It is here if anyone is interested:
http://www.onepanwonders.com/stovefreehiking.htm

Rockhound
06-09-2009, 14:58
I have a Bic lighter that is my stove. Seldom have I had a problem starting a fire, even in the rain. If it's downpouring or extremely windy I will eat cold, but that does not occur that frequently. I never have to worry about running out of stove fuel or finding someplace that sells those canisters that are filling up landfills. I find it quite odd that people need the latest, greatest technology to go out and commune with nature. Seems a litte contradictory to me. I'll stick with a wood fire for cooking, sticks for hiking poles, and continue not filtering my water. I do have a tent and a sleeping bag, but that is about as far as I'll go.

leeki pole
06-09-2009, 15:18
A guy from MS did the AT on nothing but honey buns, peanut butter, cheese and tortillas a few years back (not counting town stops) in about 4 1/2 months. Yes, it can be done.

bigcranky
06-09-2009, 16:38
Not bringing a stove is an interesting concept but isn't the weight savings from not bringing a stove and fuel offset by the need to bring hydrated food, like cheese and peperoni as opposed to dry pasta foods?

Yes. But some hikers like the efficiency of no-cook hiking. I've tried it -- for summer hikes it's fine, but I like hot meals and drinks in cool weather.

Phoenix7
06-09-2009, 17:36
On my next section hike I'm going to try stove-less meals, but bring along an Esbit stove with some tabs to make hot drinks if any nights are cold. I agree with BigCranky; stoveless in warmer months, bring stove in colder months.

Phoenix7
06-09-2009, 17:50
But keep in mind that even in warmer months it can get cold at elevation, so a stove with at least a little fuel might be wise at all times.

Rockhound
06-10-2009, 09:06
But keep in mind that even in warmer months it can get cold at elevation, so a stove with at least a little fuel might be wise at all times.
Cold weather? Seems like more of a reason to cook with fire if you ask me.

Plodderman
06-10-2009, 09:15
I have been hiking without a stove for 20 years and in the past ten years have hiked for a week or two on the AT without a stove. If I through hike instead of section hiking I probably would still not bring a stove.

LaurieAnn
06-10-2009, 21:34
Foods such as hummus and other bean based dips, lentil salads and the like can all be rehydrated with cold water which means you can have really great food without a stove.

Mags
06-11-2009, 00:31
I've done the no stove thing a day here or there in the past.

My longest stretch was a recent AZT section hike w/ Garlic (here on WB) and Pickle (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_mojo/Itemid,/p,31/). I must say, I liked it. As Garlic said previously, the weight savings is not really that much..it is the no futz factor I enjoyed. Not just at night, but for resupply (food and fuel) as well.

When I hike the Great Divide Trail next month, I plan on going the no stove route then. Why? Canisters are hard to get in Canada where I am going. And, because the auto fuel (apparently) already has the equivalent of HEET in it, alcohol may be a pain to get in the small places where I am going from what previous GDT hikers told me. EVERY place stocks peanut butter, crackers, Snickers, etc. that does not require reheating. Some backpacking staples (Mashed potatoes and stove top come to mind) rehydrate very well without a stove, too.

Is no-stove the best way to go? Not for everyone. But I think for the minamlist/hot weather hiking/hard fuel resupply situations, the no stove option is a very viable alternative.

Pokey2006
06-11-2009, 00:42
I have a Bic lighter that is my stove. Seldom have I had a problem starting a fire, even in the rain. If it's downpouring or extremely windy I will eat cold, but that does not occur that frequently. I never have to worry about running out of stove fuel or finding someplace that sells those canisters that are filling up landfills. I find it quite odd that people need the latest, greatest technology to go out and commune with nature. Seems a litte contradictory to me. I'll stick with a wood fire for cooking, sticks for hiking poles, and continue not filtering my water. I do have a tent and a sleeping bag, but that is about as far as I'll go.

If you REALLY want to commune with nature, lose the tent. That's a much greater barrier between you and the outdoors than a stove would be.

It's also not always a good idea to have a campfire. For example, areas where firewood is scarce, or there's a drought, or it's a high fire risk location.

Canisters do bite, BTW. Alcohol rules.

I would go cook-less except for one big factor: I absolutely must, must, MUST have my coffee every morning. I won't give it up. Otherwise, I can understand why someone would ditch the stove, not so much for weight savings, but for simplicity. Personally, I get the simplicity (and weight savings) by going dehydrated.

Mags
06-11-2009, 01:08
It's also not always a good idea to have a campfire. For example, areas where firewood is scarce, or there's a drought, or it's a high fire risk location.

Exactly. A fire in the low desert or alpine terrain would be...interesting. :)

I would go cook-less except for one big factor: I absolutely must, must, MUST have my coffee every morning. I

I'm a java fiend myself. But, I quit cold turkey on hikes. However, when I DO get coffee in town...watch out! :D (Ask Garlic!)

My luxury item is my camera. 12 oz with the Gorilla Pod. Ouch. :o But I do enjoy taking photos...

Pokey2006
06-11-2009, 01:24
Coffee isn't even a luxury item with me. It's a necessity. I'd rather do without a shelter...

Though I suppose if you were hell-bent on going without a stove, and you were, like me, addicted to coffee, you could get away with caffeine pills or energy drinks or something. I've just never been that desperate to lose a few ounces. LOVE my coffee in the morning.

Actually, that has a little something to do with how I got my trail name. Not Pokey on the trail, but definitely Pokey in the morning.

Cameras are good luxury items to have. I can't imagine hiking without one.

astrogirl
06-11-2009, 10:19
Coffee isn't even a luxury item with me. It's a necessity. I'd rather do without a shelter...

Though I suppose if you were hell-bent on going without a stove, and you were, like me, addicted to coffee, you could get away with caffeine pills or energy drinks or something. I've just never been that desperate to lose a few ounces. LOVE my coffee in the morning.

You can get coffee concentrate from minimus.biz - no heat required.

I also go cold turkey on backpacking trips.

LaurieAnn
06-11-2009, 12:08
While I haven't gear tested it yet there is a new stove out called the Vital Stove by Eureka!

http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/stoves/product.php?lang=en&cat=149&type=6&prod=433

Anyway - in some areas this could work well and would reduce the fuel weight.

sarbar
06-11-2009, 14:10
For wood burners, this is a great option http://www.zzstove.com/mcart/

Mags
06-11-2009, 15:30
...and being me, I have a less expensive, lighter version:

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

For those without mechanical skills and/or REALLY want to dirtbag it:

The Classic Hobo stove:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1984-03-01/Make-It-and-Take-It-Hobo-Stove.aspx

A modified version:
http://www.journeytoforever.org/edu_hobostove.html

Never mind recycle..REUSE! :)

Alligator
06-11-2009, 16:13
There are powdered tea drink mixes in the tea aisle that have caffeine in them. This was at Wal-mart. I had been looking for them near the juice aisle but the ones there didn't have an explicit note that there was caffeine in them.

LaurieAnn
06-12-2009, 12:29
Well... my Vital Stove arrived today. It will be two weeks before I test it. We will have several people that will be running it through the rigors over the length of the trip so I should have some great feedback. My first thoughts are that it feels weighty compared to what I normally use but then again I am forgetting that I won't need to carry fuel. Thanks for the other links Mags. I'll have to check those out as well.

JAK
06-12-2009, 13:16
This summer I'm trying to perfect the three rock method, both for making just a small mug of tea, and also for boiling up a full litre of water for tea and oatmeal or lentil soup. It is easy on the beaches here to find suitable stones, and the learning curve is a nice easy 5% grade, but rather long. The rocks never fit quite like I would like them to. The wind direction, and ground slope, and surrounding rocks and ground type and wetness are other variables. Hope to get better at it, but I'm glad I will always be able to get better still. In winter its a little more critical to get it right, but in summer its nice to have time to fuss.

As for making tea, I haven't got all that worked out either. I am making my of Chai style tea now, which some now call Chai Latte. I am using my favourite loose tea, Barbours Orange Pekoe, and getting my own spices from the bulk barn; cardamom, cloves, anise, black pepper, ginger, cinnamon. I am trying to find the right combination for working with the somewhat difficult taste of skim milk powder. I'm thinking more cardamom and cloves, and maybe adding nutmeg.

I want to find some better hardware also. Not too fancy because I want it to work with a small wood fire, and I still want to be able to make oatmeal and soup also, but something maybe a little more ritualistic than just the same old pot and mug. I need some sort of a strainer also.

As far as the ritual itself goes traditionally chai is started by bring milk to a boil or near boil and cooking it awhile, perhaps to kill off any bugs, then adding the spices and the tea, not sure what order. With skim milk powder I have figured out that it is best to sprinkle the skim milk from the top after the water has boiled, about 1/3 cup per cup of water for full strength milk, maybe less if I need more hydration and less milk or if my milk is running low. I think I will still add the milk first though, or maybe the tea, then the milk, then the spices, or maybe its the other way around. Not sure. Have to see. Should be a good summer with lots to keep me busy.

garlic08
06-12-2009, 13:28
This summer I'm trying to perfect the three rock method....

Have you ever tried the three tent stake method? I haven't, but it seems elegant, at least for thru hikers who seldom eat where they camp.

JAK
06-12-2009, 13:42
I only use 2 pegs with my poncho tarp. In winter I bring 6 small nails instead of tent pegs as they are more universal. 3 tent pegs don't make alot of sense for me though, unless I plan on using 3 tent pegs, and not having tea when my tarp is up. That's the real show stopper. I've thought about using the small titanium stand that comes with the ION stove though, for a small fire that might work well, and lighter than tent pegs or even nails.

Here are some recipes for Chai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyhs1zJM3Co
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlGav8ZgwtM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYyDRhLco4

Chai Stand Master:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yawlHHwwVcA

World's Greatest Chai Dude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-eW0My7we0

Real Indian Chai Master:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdYpG3mMoeQ

JAK
06-12-2009, 13:48
Wow, lots of awesome Chai videos. Here is my favourite so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbx7PA0N0A4

This will definitely change the way I be makin Chai on the fungi footpath.

JAK
06-12-2009, 14:14
Another interesting recipe, with saffron and evaporated milk. Food colouring is a bit sketchy, but I think the order in which he does stuff might be most adaptable to use in the field with skim milk powder. Lot so different spices can be used though. Crazy. I'll have to come up with my own fungi footpath recipe, with spruce or cedar leaves maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3wOIiaxdr4

As far as hardware goes, I think I've got that figured out now:
1. 1 litre aluminum pot I just got at a yard sale on way to footpath
2. Smaller mug, or maybe a bowl, not neccessarily of metal, but maybe.
3. Some sort of filter. I have one now but might find something better for field.

fungi footpath oatmeal chai

1. Bring 1 litre pot to boil on small 3 rock fire or whatever with 500ml to 1000ml water.
2. Add cardamom, cloves for sure and maybe also ginger, anise, cinamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and also experiments with spruce leaves, cedar leaves, other sticks and stuff.
3. Add the tea, loose tea like Barbours Orange Pekoe, or some other tea.
4. Add the skim milk powder at the end, but keep it boiling some as it steeps 5 minutes.
5. Once steeped, strain out into the mug or bowl. Pour back and forth to help it cool and add more bubbles maybe, or just to be cool.
6. If making oatmeal, pour all of the strained chai onto the oats, and let it soak 5 minutes, pouring back some of the chai into the mug in order to sip that while waiting, and eventually pouring back all of the unabsorbed chai in order to drink special oatmeal flavoured chai while eating special chai flavoured oatmeal.

Hikes in Rain
06-12-2009, 15:20
This summer I'm trying to perfect the three rock method, both for making just a small mug of tea, and also for boiling up a full litre of water for tea and oatmeal or lentil soup. It is easy on the beaches here to find suitable stones, and the learning curve is a nice easy 5% grade, but rather long. The rocks never fit quite like I would like them to. The wind direction, and ground slope, and surrounding rocks and ground type and wetness are other variables. Hope to get better at it, but I'm glad I will always be able to get better still. In winter its a little more critical to get it right, but in summer its nice to have time to fuss.

http://www.ucampnh.com/museum/Welcome_files/Dingle%20Stick.jpg

The dingle stick is usually my favorite. Much more flexible. (I use a rock or something instead of the forked stick holding down the end)

JAK
06-12-2009, 15:25
I'm thinking I could use my hiking staff for that also, but there are lots of sticks around also. Still with a smallish fire for just a 1 litre pot or 500ml mug, the rocks also help to allow for a smaller more efficient fire. I gotta try the dingle stick sometime though, especially in winter. A hanging hobo would be kind of neat also, or a hanging lantern that also heats tea, or at least keeps it warm.

Hikes in Rain
06-12-2009, 15:36
The rocks also help concentrate the fire, and radiate heat upward instead of out to the side, for a smaller fire, as you said. Downside, of course, is you scorch rocks, letting everyone know a fire was there. Not an issue with an existing fire pit, of course. And I can never find three rocks the right size, either. Usually, my pot tips one way or the other. So, I concentrate the fire with rocks over the dingle stick.

Kanati
06-12-2009, 21:39
[quote=Mags;852217]Exactly. A fire in the low desert or alpine terrain would be...interesting. :)

True story. I caught the ground on fire in MT once and thought I would never get it put out. Finally had to dig it out and throw it in the creek.

jersey joe
06-16-2009, 14:57
I wonder what percent of AT thru hikers complete their hike without a stove...i'd guess a very small percentage.

Mags
06-16-2009, 15:12
I wonder what percent of AT thru hikers complete their hike without a stove...i'd guess a very small percentage.

My guess the "no stove" crowd is small regardless.

I am giving it an extended workout next month in Canada. We'll see how it goes. :)

jersey joe
06-16-2009, 15:13

I am giving it an extended workout next month in Canada. We'll see how it goes. :)
Bring back another calorie chart by food...that was pretty cool.

LaurieAnn
06-16-2009, 16:24

hey Mags... what part of our fair country are you hiking in? (and my apologies if you already mentioned it... I must have missed it)

astrogirl
06-16-2009, 17:20

Well, it's not like you get a medal for it or extra mileage credit. :D

garlic08
06-16-2009, 17:32

I met nearly a dozen on the AT last year, which is way more than I expected. I figured it would be nearly unheard-of. But definitely in the low single digits, less than 5% of those I talked to about it or camped with. Quite a few more said they'd definitely go stoveless except they need their coffee.

I met two guys carrying motorcycle helmets on the AT, so I can say that at least five times more people go stoveless than carry motorcycle helmets. Is that significant?

Waynesboro
06-16-2009, 17:52
I met two guys carrying motorcycle helmets on the AT, so I can say that at least five times more people go stoveless than carry motorcycle helmets.

Did you ask them why they carried helmets? It got me curious. :-?

I think that the kind of food that doesn't require heating would get old fairly quickly for me. Carrying a stove doesn't seem like enough of an inconvenience to make giving up hot food worthwhile.

Greg

garlic08
06-16-2009, 18:14
Did you ask them why they carried helmets? It got me curious. :-?

I think that the kind of food that doesn't require heating would get old fairly quickly for me. Carrying a stove doesn't seem like enough of an inconvenience to make giving up hot food worthwhile.

Greg

Yeah, they rode bikes to a nearby TH and didn't want to risk leaving the helmets. Funny sight, though.

I felt the same about cookless until I tried it. I assumed there'd be practically zero variety. Now I feel the opposite, when I think about the food I used to cook-basically carbs'n'sauce packages--pretty uniformly gluey, tasteless, messy, and salty. I guess I wasn't a very good trail cook, and I don't miss it at all.

Waynesboro
06-16-2009, 18:22
I felt the same about cookless until I tried it. I assumed there'd be practically zero variety. Now I feel the opposite, when I think about the food I used to cook-basically carbs'n'sauce packages--pretty uniformly gluey, tasteless, messy, and salty. I guess I wasn't a very good trail cook, and I don't miss it at all.

A lifetime habit of old-fashioned oatmeal for breakfast would be hard for me to break. It would be more that I don't WANT to break the habit, rather than being addicted to it. Oatmeal keeps life flowing smoothly, if you get my meaning.

Then, there's tea... I like a hot cup of tea before bedtime.

That being said, I'm a pretty rugged camper. Two days without food is my normal camping weekend. I can go without a stove if I have to, but won't do it without a good reason.

Greg

Mags
06-16-2009, 19:09
hey Mags... what part of our fair country are you hiking in? (and my apologies if you already mentioned it... I must have missed it)

Along the Canadian portion of the Continental Divide. Waterton to Robson:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Great-Divide-Trail/great-divide-trail.html

The route semi-officially ends in Kakwa PP, but most GDT thru-hikers (less than 15 that I know of!) end at Robson for logistic reasons. It was the original ending, makes a great finish and is a bit easier to get out of the Kakwa (to put it mildly). The only way to get to Kakwa is apprently a very rutted 85km/52mile 4WD road that gets little traffic. THEN once you get to the town at the end of this road, you have to hitch to another town that has bus service to Jasper. Or I can charter a helicopter to Jasper. Either way, no thanks! :)

To make this thread related: I am going no stove on this route for the following reasons:

From what other GDT hikers told me, the gasoline in that part of Canada (along and near the divide), already has the equivalent of HEET in it. I hear it gets cold up there? ;) So in the mainly small places where I am resupplying, I doubt I can get HEET or its equivalent for an alcohol stove easily
Canisters are light and convenient. But, again, I am going through small towns for the most part. I'd rather not carry a bunch of canisters. Otherwise what is the point of the weight savings vs. white gas stoves?
I am sure I can get white gas (or, more likely auto gas) anywhere. But, quite frankly, I'd rather not take even a "lightweight" Simmerlight with the required metal fuel bottle. That's 11.5 oz total for the stove and an 11oz fuel bottle. (not counting the fuel). That's a lot of weight just so I can have one hot meal a day.
Finally, because I am going through (mainly) small towns, I know I can always gett peanut butter, tuna, cracker and the very basics at worse.

I'm a minamlist (dirt bagger!) more than a lightweight backpacker. The no futz, easy resupply and simple menus appeal to me.

I don't claim NO STOVE is the best. But, the more I think about it, the more I like it for my style of hiking. Like all choices, it involves compromises..but it is what works for me. As always, a tip of my salt-encrusted boonie hat to Garlic and Pickle for showing me the utility of this idea during our AZT trip.
(http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_mojo/Itemid,/p,31/)

On "social trips", I'll still bring a stove. Why not? On long, solo hikes, not so much.

Bring back another calorie chart by food...that was pretty cool.

Heh..we'll see. I am not going to lie, it was a big PITA to do that. :)

LaurieAnn
06-17-2009, 07:13
Sounds amazing... hey when you get back I'd like to talk with you more about your trip and how it went stoveless. This is something I am somewhat fascinated with and I can totally see the benefit when soloing. Great thread!

Lyle
06-17-2009, 07:39
For wood burners, this is a great option http://www.zzstove.com/mcart/

While I haven't gear tested it yet there is a new stove out called the Vital Stove by Eureka!

http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/stoves/product.php?lang=en&cat=149&type=6&prod=433

Anyway - in some areas this could work well and would reduce the fuel weight.

On my hike on the KEK last month I had the opportunity to compare these two stoves side by side, literally, for five days.

Our meals were being cooked on a Sierra Stove (modified with a larger base) for our entire trip on the Superior, Border Route and KEK. Another hiker joined us the last five days on the KEK portion and was using a Vital stove.

My impression was:

The stoves worked very much the same, both put out an amazing amount of heat, even when burning wet wood. The Vital seemed to use somewhat less fuel, but that may not be a valid assessment, it was cooking for only one while the Sierra was cooking for four.

Sierra Stove is taller and less stable without adding a base. It is also noisy compared to the Vital Stove. The Vital Stove is a much lower and thus more stable design.

The Sierra Stove has a LONG track record, the one on our trip was one of the originals, very well used. I was impressed with the good battery life, a concern I'd had about using these stoves.

The Sierra Stove is lighter, but the Vital Stove packs more compactly.

I will probably get one of these to experiment with, not sure which. Maybe I'll start out with a home made.

jersey joe
06-17-2009, 09:22
I met nearly a dozen on the AT last year, which is way more than I expected. I figured it would be nearly unheard-of. But definitely in the low single digits, less than 5% of those I talked to about it or camped with. Quite a few more said they'd definitely go stoveless except they need their coffee.

I met two guys carrying motorcycle helmets on the AT, so I can say that at least five times more people go stoveless than carry motorcycle helmets. Is that significant?
Yeah, I'd agree garlic, the number has to be less than 5%. I never even considered thru hiking without a stove. The more I think about it, the more I think it is a good idea.

LaurieAnn
06-17-2009, 12:38
The Sierra Stove is lighter, but the Vital Stove packs more compactly.

I will probably get one of these to experiment with, not sure which. Maybe I'll start out with a home made.

Great info... I should get a Sierra Stove at some point and test that as well.

Here is my friend Kevin's video review of the Vital and what originally got my interested piqued...

Kevin Callan - Vital Stove (http://www.wildernesscooking.com/blog/?p=115)

garlic08
06-17-2009, 14:31

That's the second-most common argument I've heard for not going stoveless (the first one being COFFEE!). It's probably the better argument, too.

But in my experience, a stove in adverse conditions above treeline can be difficult and sometimes dangerous. The easiest method, cooking in your tent or vestibule, is inherently dangerous (especially with alcohol!) and I refuse to do it (in a three season tent not made for cooking). The safer method of sitting outside, making a windblock with packs and trying not to knock the whole mess over while you're shivering and cussing, is just not fun. And I believe you can go behind on heat input, but that's debatable.

I'd rather warm myself up in my sleeping bag, then dine on hummus and crackers, carrots, celery, tortillas and cheese, cashews, and fig newtons in comfort.

But this depends on having the experience to have the proper insulation and the ability to keep it dry in adverse conditions. If your bag gets wet or is insufficient, you're going to need to get below treeline and get a fire going--a camp stove won't help too much there, either.