PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS,Trail Maps or Thru hiker hand book

gravy4601
05-31-2009, 22:51
I have been looking at hand held GPS units with topo feature and am looking to get advice from other hiker's about what to carry for a thru hike option's being GPS,Trail maps and guid book or Thru Hiker Handbook :-?

rp1790
05-31-2009, 23:06
I have been looking at hand held GPS units with topo feature and am looking to get advice from other hiker's about what to carry for a thru hike option's being GPS,Trail maps and guid book or Thru Hiker Handbook :-?

Well, I started a Thru hike this year with the same thoughts. I've since gobe off trail but I can put my hand on my heart and say that after 700 mikles you just want a guide book. You don't "need" a map, compass or GPS at all. The trail is so well marked it's not funny. Maybe just take one of those button compasses'

fiddlehead
06-01-2009, 00:58
Data book for me.

Mags
06-01-2009, 01:09
Whether you need maps or not is a big debate I'd rather not open up again. :p (Some say yes. Some say no. Some argue back and forth and call each other "poo poo" heads. ;) )
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40042&highlight=maps+navigation

But, I think most, if not all, AT hikers can honestly say a GPS is overkill for the AT.

Some like it as a toy and enjoy the data you get with it, but I do not see any real value in bringing a GPS on the AT in terms of navigation use.

As for the guidebook; the Thru-hikers handbook or the ALDHA companion are both good guides for the AT. I'll let more recent AT hikers chime in with their personal preferences and why.

garlic08
06-01-2009, 13:46
The new Appalachian Pages book worked OK for me last year, and I hear they've corrected some errors that were in the first edition. I did not carry or miss maps or a compass, certainly not a GPS.

And Mags is a poo-poo head anyway.:D

kayak karl
06-01-2009, 15:33
The new Appalachian Pages book worked OK for me last year, and I hear they've corrected some errors that were in the first edition. I did not carry or miss maps or a compass, certainly not a GPS.

Appalachian Pages book is great. i carry compass and map also. im looking at the Garmin GPS 60CSx for kayaking and bushwhacking, but not the trail.

JaxHiker
06-01-2009, 15:46
I prefer my Garmin 60 CSx plus USGS maps. But that's me. ymmv.

Bearpaw
06-01-2009, 15:58
Maps and one of the town guides should do every thing you need and then some. Only reason to take a GPS is if you really enjoy working with GPS.

Mags
06-01-2009, 17:19

That is an undeniable fact...

gravy4601
06-03-2009, 21:37
the book has maps of towns but not all of them what about the towns that are a few miles from town and the little general stores ? so probably both

SunnyWalker
06-03-2009, 22:01
I would use AT maps only. Thats what I did on my section hike. Also include a highway map of the state. Only I'd cut it down and all. Very useful. I saw other folks who used a book or guide. It seemed to limit their options. My map was wide open and not "telling" me stuff, although it was. However there is a lot it did not tell me, also. If you get what I mean. this is another opnion only. Have fun.

Blissful
06-03-2009, 22:03
Maps and ALDHA guide or equivalent. No GPS needed.