PDA

View Full Version : Shoes and rubbing

tucker0104
06-01-2009, 07:34
I have owed several pair of trail runners and have run into the same problem with all of them. I efuse to move to mid-highs or boots. The top of the side of the shoe rubs into the bottom of my ankle where it starts to go out. Especially when my foot is at an angle. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do for it? It almost seems like I need something hard to go over my ankle or something in my shoe to elevate my ankle 1/4 of an inch. Thanks for any suggestions.

Lyle
06-01-2009, 08:32
Have you tried various styles of runners?

Try a Dr. Scholl's heel cup, may add a bit of "lift" to ease the problem.

Try some third party insoles to replace the ones that came with your runners. I really like the various Superfeet insoles, but they are kinda pricey.

Try some different lacing patterns - the knot doesn't always need to be at the very top of the shoe.

As a last resort, try cutting a notch in the appropriate location to stop the rubbing.

Good Luck.

tucker0104
06-01-2009, 10:12
Thanks for the advice. I have tred go lite, north face, and vasque ad they all do the same thing. I think my akle is low and the thing just digs right in. I was almost thinking about wearing one of the plastic ankle splints to keep it from digging in.

Old Grouse
06-01-2009, 10:31
There's really quite a bit of difference among trail runners. I see that my Hardrocks come up almost 3/4" higher than do my Inov-8 Terrocs. Best I can suggest is that you spend some time at a store with a lot of choices to see if you can come up with something that feels best, and then go from there to an add-on.

garlic08
06-01-2009, 13:35
What Lyle said. Carry scissors, a sharp knife, or razor blade to take care of the problem. I had one pair of New Balance shoes do that, after half a dozen pairs of the same shoe with no problem at all. Snip, snip, no more problem.

Reid
06-01-2009, 14:12
Andy Griffith did a funny spot about putting a hole in your shoe to keep it from rubbing.

Dogwood
06-01-2009, 15:11
Don't lose hope. Keep trying on different models until you find one that fits right around the ankle. As suggested already you could try to raise the height of your foot inside the shoe by experimenting with different orthotics, but beware that you may also be tweaking the inside volume of your shoe. Get your shoes right and you'll be a whole lot happier and probably healthier. Take the time to get your shoes dialed in! Go to a reputable knowledgable outfitter or jogging shoe store for recommendations about your feet.

BobTheBuilder
06-01-2009, 15:45
I've had that problem with hiking shoes before, but replacing the stock insoles with something to give just a tiny bit more lift fixed it. The gellin' ones, if I remember. Worth every penny of the $10 for the insoles.

Slosteppin
06-01-2009, 20:15
I've had the same problem with some trail runners. Some just won't work for me.

You might (if you can find them) try a pair of Teva Shield Event trail runners. The fabric is soft and waterproof. They are cut higher than most trail runners.

I wish I had taken mine on the last hike.

Slosteppin

tucker0104
06-02-2009, 07:34
It something I eally don't notice until a couple miles into a hike. I never feel it until it is to late. I am going to try somethig to give me just a liittle it more lift. THanks for the great advice.

bigmac_in
06-02-2009, 07:39
I'd keep trying different shoes until I find something that works. If you know the spot the normally rubs, you can probably find something that will appear to work in the store. Try something that isn't one of the high priced name brands, such as you named. I've had good luck with Asics, and my favorite pair were a pair of Nike I bought on sale. I've worn them out and haven't found another pair I like as well.