PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Trail pocket question

mister krabs
06-01-2009, 12:54
I went and looked at a Vapor Trail today. They didn't have a large like I needed, so I couldn't try it for fit, but it looks and feels pretty good. One issue I noticed is that the compression straps go over them, making them useless for holding water bottles. What's up with that?

Has anyone come up with a modification to make this work? Do you think it would be possible to cut two slits in the mesh so that the compression strap would go through the pocket instead of over it? Not being able to put my bottles in the side pockets would be a deal breaker for me.

DBthal
06-01-2009, 13:01
I used a soldering gun to hot melt slots in the pockets for the straps to feed through. This has worked well.

Dan

Deadeye
06-01-2009, 13:19
I just don't use the strap on the lower left, where I keep my bottle. No problem.

Engine
06-01-2009, 13:41
I read that this years model had the straps routed higher so it wasn't a problem. It sounds like you were looking at an older model. Having said that, I haven't had a problem with mine so far.

FamilyGuy
06-01-2009, 13:44
As a mid-year change, there are slits in the pocket to allow one to re-route the compression strap through the side pocket. I have it on my GG Nimbus Meridian and on my recently received GG Vapor Day. Works well, although I admit to never having an issue with my Vapor Trail. Those pockets stretch HUGE.

bulldog49
06-01-2009, 15:46
One issue I noticed is that the compression straps go over them, making them useless for holding water bottles. What's up with that?

I carry waterbottles in mine, so they aren't useless for that purpose.

mister krabs
06-01-2009, 16:11
Huh, maybe it wouldn't be a problem, just looked like it would be. I just didn't see how I could use the pocket for a gatoraide quart *and* still use the compression strap for compression. Routing through the pocket would be a good thing IMO. Thanks for the tip on the soldering iron. I *can* reach back to my pack pockets to pull out my water while walking,

mister krabs
06-01-2009, 16:12
oops, I wanted to say that I don't want to give up being able to pull and replace my bottle on the go.

Downhill Trucker
06-01-2009, 22:12
To those who have used the soldering iron to burn holes for the straps... do you have pics? No fraying over time? I might do this to my virga.

DBthal
06-01-2009, 22:58
This thread has photos and answers the questions above.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20318

take-a-knee
06-01-2009, 23:09
The vapor trail pockets will not hold a 32oz gatorade bottle, they will hold a 24oz twist top gatorade bottle, one per side. How long before the spandex rips is anyones' guess. It'll probably outlast the silnylon side panels because mine had a head sized hole in it after about five weeks trail use. I now have a ULA pack and REI has something to add to it's "scratch and dent" sale.

Pokey2006
06-02-2009, 01:47
I use a separate water bottle holder that hooks onto the hip belt with a velcro strap. Nice thing about it is I can use it with other packs, too. And it keeps the bottle closer at hand.

Ridge Rat
06-02-2009, 08:45
The vapor trail pockets will not hold a 32oz gatorade bottle, they will hold a 24oz twist top gatorade bottle, one per side. How long before the spandex rips is anyones' guess. It'll probably outlast the silnylon side panels because mine had a head sized hole in it after about five weeks trail use. I now have a ULA pack and REI has something to add to it's "scratch and dent" sale.

Now while this is true about all the "ultralight" series GG packs, it will hold a 32 oz. powerade bottle quite well... Switch your brands and sometimes things work. :D

mister krabs
06-02-2009, 09:05
Now while this is true about all the "ultralight" series GG packs, it will hold a 32 oz. powerade bottle quite well... Switch your brands and sometimes things work. :D

The vitamin water quart bottles are taller and skinnier as well, while still being thick gauge plastic and having a wide mouth.

Thanks everyone for your input, I think I'll wait to get some time to take a trip to mountain crossings before making any decisions. Shouldn't be too long, my birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks :)