PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut, Where is Storrs

SGT Rock
06-25-2004, 11:59
Here is the situation, I may have to take an assignment to ROTC in Storrs, CT. How close is this place to the AT? The answer is important to me deciding to take the assignment.

Thanks in advance.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2004, 12:04
Storrs is 100+ miles east of the AT.

SGT Rock
06-25-2004, 12:05
That sucks.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2004, 12:12
Did Mapquest. Storrs to Kent is 94.8 miles, approx. 2 hrs. 6 min. drive.

Tabasco
06-25-2004, 12:21
...left nut to only be 2 hours from the AT.

SGT Rock
06-25-2004, 12:24
I guess that awouldn't be that bad. I was hoping to find something a little closer. You would think with all the big college towns the trail goes through or near I could be living close to the AT and commuting to work.

smokymtnsteve
06-25-2004, 12:52
I live in atlanta ga..which is 2-2.5 hours away from a lot of AT trailheads...no problem getting in plenty of hiking

you have that little Ford focus so it is not that bad of drive..

also I think you would make a GREAT ROTC instructor.

Pencil Pusher
06-25-2004, 13:13
That would be a good assignment, if you were thinking of it as the last one. I think it'd make the transition to civilian life much smoother. Plus you'd be surrounded by impressionable youth that take your word like that of god. You'd be in a great spot to take a class or two while there, getting a jumpstart on a degree.

Alligator
06-25-2004, 13:41
You might be able to cut some of the distance by living about 30 minutes away from Storrs. I'd suggest looking into the cost of living in that area carefully though. Could be pricey.

SGT Rock
06-25-2004, 14:04
Well if I have to take an assignment away from troops, ROTC seems a great place to do it. It will not be my transition assignment, but they treat ROTC instructors as faculty, so taking college courses has always been a great benfit to anyone serving in these positions.

My major concerns are cost of living, and overall location. I am not a big town kind of person, and I was not sure what sort of college town this is. I need to do some research on that location and I was hoping that someone from CT would jump on here and fill me in.

There is another possible assignment for ROTC in Ohio that I need to look into as well. I was just hoping this would be one of those dream jobs that would have the AT practically in my back yard.

Hikerhead
06-25-2004, 14:15
:datz I thought you were talking about Storrs Campground in Hanover, NH.

slatchley
06-25-2004, 14:25
About an hour and a half, 76 miles

Tin Man
06-26-2004, 17:48
SGT Rock,

You should love CT as there are many neat little towns near Storrs, which is not too big itself. Storrs is away from the busy coast, yet close to many scenic areas as well as the benefits of Springfield and Boston in MA. as well as Hartford in CT for your big shopping or sports. I am in western CT, nearer the trail than Storrs, and there are lots of nice sections with great views as I am sure you are aware. CT is a great state, come visit and see for yourself.

Frosty
06-26-2004, 18:17
Closest spot is probably Salisbury, about 80 miles almost directly east.

DIrectly north for about 150 miles is Hanover NH, which gives you the Mass and VT AT within range, plus the Berkshires. The Catskills and Taconics are an hour or so further off.

WHite Mountians are a little further, say 22o miles to trailhead for Mt Washington (west approach). Last Saturday I hiked Mt Garfield with a bunch of folks, two of whom drove up from CT for a day hike.

Decent camping options available so you can hike Sat and Sun of any given weekend.

dje97001
06-28-2004, 20:22
I've been going to UConn at Storrs for 7 years now (this will be my 8th)--3 (soon to be 4) as a grad student. The area is woodsy--If you fly over this part of CT you don't see too many lights ("The great dark corridor")... several great trails in-state, UConn is right near the Nipmuck trail (which goes into Mass) and there are several state forests very close by that you can wander through for a decent time. The AT is on the Northwestern Edge of the state, and I haven't done it yet (funny, cause I'm going up to the whites again this weekend--about a 4.5 hour drive).

With respect to the campus itself, you shouldn't think of it as a big college town... it isn't that busy (even with 15,000 or so students)... but the physical campus is beautiful... our state has been practically throwing money at the campus and the results are well worth it. A 20-25 minute drive to the closest major commercial center (Manchester CT) where you can find almost anything you want. About 2 hours from Boston and 2.5 hours from New York... probably 1-1.5 hours from the coast and some nice beaches in RI. Before you take the post, you should definitely come check it out--it isn't for everybody (some say it's too rural--we have a dairy bar with UConn-made ice cream, from our own cows that you can visit)... In any case let me know if you want to check it out, I'd be glad to show you around.

I really love the area (having grown up here) and must say that if you are hankering for "green" after life in the desert... then this is the place to be! (Not to mention two great basketball teams... men and women's national champs this year!)

SGT Rock
06-28-2004, 20:48
I apriciate all the offers y'all, but the Army has decided to put me in Tennessee

dje97001
06-29-2004, 07:55
Well... good luck.

SGT Rock
06-29-2004, 07:59

I will admit I am a little dissapointed at not being sent to a location so close to the Green and White Mountains. At least Knoxville is close to the Smokies, Chorokee National Forest, and Pisgah National Forest.