PDA

View Full Version : Shipping packs/gear

Mrs Baggins
06-01-2009, 16:49
Hubby is going hiking in the Trinity Alps in No. California in a few weeks. Rather than risk putting his pack in the checked luggage of the airplane (having it lost or damaged) we decided to UPS it. His pack w/gear and trekking poles weighed in at 25 lbs on the UPS Store scale. To box it and ship it they charged me $119. :eek: Is that what it usually cost??? I know many people ship their packs and gear to their starting points - - are there cheaper alternatives? I insured it for $1250 after adding up the retail cost of everything in it so that probably added to the shipping cost and that's fine. Without the packaging materials I figure they charged $4/pound. It won't get there for at least 7 days so I didn't pay for any kind of "fast" service. Believe me I know the cost of putting it on the plane would have been $20 or less but we've flown with checked packs in the past and had them lost for days, things missing off them, and damaged, even when wrapped in plastic. And every time the airlines said it was our fault for checking a "bag" with straps or anything attached externally - even when wrapped.

Phreak
06-01-2009, 17:22
Yeah, the shipping costs sounds close to what I paid to ship my gear to Doodah Man's house in LA.

10-K
06-01-2009, 17:40
Sounds about right. UPS Stores are kinda pricey - did you use their packing materials and let them box it up for you too?

Phoenix7
06-01-2009, 17:55
I sell things on Ebay from time to time and stopped using UPS because of the costs. US Postal Service is much more reasonable.

Mrs Baggins
06-01-2009, 18:46
Sounds about right. UPS Stores are kinda pricey - did you use their packing materials and let them box it up for you too?

Yes. I have no idea where I would have found a box of the right size, and then the stuff necessary to cushion the pack to keep it from rolling all around in the box. Had I boxed it myself I couldn't have even carried into a post office or any other mailing facility - the box would have been almost as big as me!

10-K
06-01-2009, 19:17
Yes. I have no idea where I would have found a box of the right size, and then the stuff necessary to cushion the pack to keep it from rolling all around in the box. Had I boxed it myself I couldn't have even carried into a post office or any other mailing facility - the box would have been almost as big as me!

I'm the same way... I'd rather pay a premium and know that something important that I'm shipping is packed properly.

You could have saved a few coins by taking it already boxed up and ready to ship but as you noted, that can be kind of stressful.

The USPS is definitely cheaper, and given the amount of mail they move they do a great job, but the comfort factor I'd feel mailing my pack by the postal service would be about the same as if I checked it as a piece of baggage on a flight.

Blissful
06-01-2009, 19:45
You get tracking of lost items with UPS or Fed Ex. No tracking with USPS.

fancyfeet
06-01-2009, 20:32
You can pay extra for tracking through USPS. But they take forever! It's probably size and/or weight that bumps the price up. Going over a certain specific measurement hikes up the price.

mateozzz
06-01-2009, 20:48
I just bought a big duffel bag to fly to Georgia, you can find them from $25-50. Put the pack in empty and then cram everything around it. You can either ship the duffel back or just give it away.

Matt

Mrs Baggins
06-01-2009, 20:58
I just bought a big duffel bag to fly to Georgia, you can find them from $25-50. Put the pack in empty and then cram everything around it. You can either ship the duffel back or just give it away.

Matt

Actually we did that when we flew to Chile for a Chile/Argentina trek. We bought two big duffels (that zipped and I could lock) that held our packs, trekking poles, and some extra clothing and shoes. Left room for bringing home souvenirs, too. That was one situation where I was more afraid of losing our stuff in a foreign mail system than on the airlines. But since the trek company provided a lot of the heavier gear the duffels weren't real heavy and easy to carry.

flemdawg1
06-02-2009, 11:57

Matt

Thats what I did when I went to CA last year.

Yikes for a $125, you coulda just rented stuff when you got there.

flemdawg1
06-02-2009, 11:58
Oops $119 not 125.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 12:04
Yeah I ship with USPS now although I think that you can get a cheaper price from UPS online. There has to be a reason why so many large retailers use UPS, since the post office is cheap, you can print your own labels and the mail man will pick up the package at your house or work (although city carriers will hate you for it)

Dogwood
06-02-2009, 13:33
When I do ship my pack I place all the loose gear inside securely, tighten all the straps, shrink wrap it, securely address it well, and mail it Priority USPS. You can buy shrink wrap at arts and crafts stores, but I've always just used the plastic wrapping from outside a Home Depot or Lowes. If I see someone I ask first if it's OK. No one has ever told me no. Even when I do mail my pack I still feel the need to carry some of my gear. As I've reduced the bulk and wt. of my gear, which makes my pack easier to carry, I really prefer to just carry it with me wherever I travel. I consider it my home when I'm traveling.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 13:46
Yeah I can mail four packs through the post office for what they paid UPS for 1 lol