PDA

View Full Version : Arbuckle Tract

whywoogy
06-01-2009, 18:38
Is anyone familiar with this area?

http://www.outintheboonies.com/Arbuckle_Tract/

Hows is the terrain? How is the trail maintained? Any info whatsoever?

Thanks!

Shannan
01-10-2010, 01:56
I plan to hike this very soon, I am new here and will post pics and jornal of this trip.

zeus307
01-10-2010, 09:52
YES!! I know this place like the back of my hand!! I used to work for Dept. Of Forestry and know this place very well!! A great place to hike, camp and enjoy!! Let me know what you want to know and I can hook you up!!

zeus307
01-11-2010, 13:23
send me a pm or email to [email protected] i hook you up all kinds of info!!! let me know!!

Shannan
02-07-2010, 21:28
Hi,
I went out today to try to walk to the Graves Island campsite. I couldn't find the trail at the north end off of Rucks dairy road. I ended up on the vehicle road just north of where the foot path should start. I will probably go out some day this week and try to find it again. I want to find it so Friday I can walk to the camp site and spend the night and start the rest of the trail Saturday.

I will be going solo too, so if there is anyone who wants to join, I'm up for it.

Shannan
02-14-2010, 16:41
Ok, I did it. I hiked in starting at Godwin Lake and hit the orange blaze and headed north to the Graves Island campsite, Friday. It was raining but stopped by 7pm. I had a good day Saturday and hiked down to the south end, camped in the Hidden Hammock camp. Headed north this morning and met 3 hikers getting a late start of the morning at the Lakeside campsite and we hiked on out to the north parking area. I was very much surprised at the section along Reedy Creek, so pretty and calming and it made for a great ending to my trip. I can't wait to get out and hike again..... Will add some picks later.

zeus307
02-15-2010, 15:45
Next time you in town and going back to Arbuckle call me and maybe we can hook up for a hike. I can see what I can do!!

Shannan
02-15-2010, 22:39
Zeus, I am always in town.... lol. I live in Avon Park so it is just down the street from me. And I am always up for it. I would just have to plan on a weekend that the girls aren't here to do a good, faster than a 6 year old, pace. The girls and I may revisit the hidden Hammock camp this weekend. I understand that if you reserve the campground that nobody else can get it for that night. I would think that they would limit it to maybe a number of hikers per, like say 8 people. I wouldn't mind others being there when I am there. Anyway next time I reserve I will ask aboiut it and let her know I don't mind visitors.
let me know when u want to get out there.

zeus307
02-16-2010, 13:10
I will let you know. I am thinking of a hike either 1st or 3rd weekend in march. Getting ready for AT. My girlfriend a I might go again there. Have you ever been to Myakka St. Park for a hike? that place is great!!! 38 miles of trail and water at all campsites. It is a nice place you need to check it out!! Let me know and I do the same about dates in March. Peace!!!:D

Shannan
02-16-2010, 17:41
I have heard alot about Myakka. I would love to hike there, and the last I heard that the wells were closed, but you were there last weekend right? So, that means they opened them back up. I would really love to go now that I know about that. I will figure something out, I have my girls this weekend and may do Sat. night out at Arbuckle with them, but the next weekend I don't have any plans.

zeus307
02-17-2010, 10:08
as of last weekend when i went and stay at hidden hammock the wells were working. BUT!!! it was wet!!!! very wet due to the recent storm that went thru. Had a blast was cold but had a GREAT time. You need to go there and check it out!! Cost $5 bucks per person to get inbut well worth it. I cant make next weekend, I am working and busy!! I am looking at the weekend of March 20 for my next avaible weekend, I am just busy!! good luck and it should be a great weekend for you all:sun:sun Enjoy!:banana

Sailor (The other one)
04-05-2010, 07:58
Hi,
I went out today to try to walk to the Graves Island campsite. I couldn't find the trail at the north end off of Rucks dairy road. I ended up on the vehicle road just north of where the foot path should start. I will probably go out some day this week and try to find it again.

We went through the same thing this past weekend. We found teh beginning of the trail to Grave Island at the north end, marked by some faded oirgange blazes. We followed oit a little over a mile and then it petyered oujt. We backtracked and drove to Godwin, then hiked to Grave Island from there.

We ran into the tract's manaher, Dave, who told us that the north trail to Grave Island has not been maintained and won't get you to Grave Island, despite what all the various maps show. And there's a bridge out along that trail.

So WARNING! If your heading to the Grave Island site on the Arbuckle Tract, star at Lake Godwin.