PDA

View Full Version : Books!

cmcdonal2001
06-01-2009, 23:22
I always try to keep my weight down when on long distance hikes, but I will always allow myself a pound or so for "luxuries". One of them I always like to take along is a book. It's a great feeling to kick back on the top of a mountain for an hour or two, days since you've seen your last person, and just read in the middle of a spectacular view. I was wondering: Does anyone else here take a book with them, and if so, what are some good ones that have kept you company on the trail? (No hardcovers, please!):)

Blissful
06-01-2009, 23:32
My hubby just downloaded audio books on his MP3. Can take a bunch with you right there and no extra weight and bulk.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-01-2009, 23:35
I download books onto my cell phone (G1) the books are free and you can increase the the size for the hard of seeing. The only downfall is keeping the phone charged, which takes AA batteries in my charger

cmcdonal2001
06-01-2009, 23:44
I've thought about going the e-book route, but the books are less something to keep me occupied and more for the actual reading experience. There's something about relaxing on the trail with a nicely broken in paper back that just seems a lot more appealing to me than staring at a screen or listening to an audio book. I can see it being a lot easier to carry a library with you, though.

I'm thinking about 'The Odyssey' for my CT hike in a few weeks. It's a good story for a long, rambling journey.

Tonus
06-01-2009, 23:45
I like the audio books too. My book luxury tho is a four ounce volume of Shakespeare. B&N had a complete set of the plays in miniature books on clearance a few years back. Supposed to be a facsimile of the portable libraries coach travelers used to take with them. Concentrating on the language and small print usually puts me right to sleep. It is hardbound so I guess I'm cheating.

Feral Bill
06-01-2009, 23:48
I read Othello in the backcountry of Denali NP years ago. A strange but plesent combination.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 00:01
Yeah it is not as good as flipping through pages, but i like that so many of my trail jobs including book are done by my G1, from pedometer, to GPS, to radio, mp3 player, journal, phone, compass I could go on for a while most of the applications are free so you are only limited by how much junk you want to download into it lol

fancyfeet
06-02-2009, 01:13
I read too fast to always carry one. I like shelter books. Pick up a book at one shelter, drop it wherever you're done with it. I like to sign in the front and put down my 2 cent review. I dropped one during cross-season (NOBOs meeting SOBOs) and it bounced N and S (I heard that from a guy I met who had also read it and told me he picked it up due to my recommendation in the front leaf). Stopped at a used book sale in CT once (Kent, I think), got several paperbacks and carried them off (4 for $2, IIRC). Only I read fast, so the weight went down quick (a day or two per book).

warraghiyagey
06-02-2009, 01:41
Yo should definitely give The Iliad a read. . . . or . . . .

http://www.galison.com/images_catalog/bk_clifford_deluxe.jpg

fancyfeet
06-02-2009, 02:40
Hey! I know him!

Hikes in Rain
06-02-2009, 05:38
Always have a book with me, wherever I go, and that includes the trail. I try to limit them to paperbacks for weight and space limitations, and like Fancyfeet, I read way too fast to keep it up for a long trip. Unfortunately for me, it hasn't been that much of an issue, since for years all I can squeeze in is rather short trips, so one book is generally fine. As to subject matter, it varies. Often it's whatever I'm ready to read next, other times it's something chosen specifically for the journey.

Safari
06-02-2009, 06:28
O yeah! It's gotta be Clifford! He's very big & he's very red & he's a dog.
So there.

cmcdonal2001
06-02-2009, 08:52
I'm reading 'The Iliad' right now, (Dan Simmons' Ilium and Olympos got me into Greek myth mode), but I hadn't though of Clifford. One problem: I think it only comes in hardcover...

Nasty Dog Virus
06-02-2009, 08:57
My most recent trail book....

A memoir by Louis L'Amour called Education of a Wandering Man.

DAJA
06-02-2009, 09:04
I've thought about going the e-book route, but the books are less something to keep me occupied and more for the actual reading experience. There's something about relaxing on the trail with a nicely broken in paper back that just seems a lot more appealing to me than staring at a screen or listening to an audio book. I can see it being a lot easier to carry a library with you, though.

I'm thinking about 'The Odyssey' for my CT hike in a few weeks. It's a good story for a long, rambling journey.

I'm not a fan of e-books either...I need the smell and feel of a good book to truely enjoy it.. Besides, as I read the book it provides material for starting fires..

I have enjoyed all of Daniel Quinn's books, especially Ishmael and The Story of B.

Lately i've been reading The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S Thompson, who is always good for some laughs..

Another great adventure story (especially if you like the band moe.) is Tales From The moe. Republic by John Derhak, brother of Rob (bass player for moe.)

And if all else fails I just grab any Douglas Coupland book, always enjoyable..

Grinder
06-02-2009, 09:29
I bought an ASTAK ebook Reader for my last section hike. It weighs 8 oz.

I was able to load the trail guide from this site into it. this saved about 4 oz of pack weight (for the print version).

The unit I have (from Fry's outpost) also contains an mp3 player, although I haven't tried that function out yet.

there's lots of free books available on the Internet. Storage room for literally hundreds of books.

They claim 30 days of 300 pages a day on one battery charge.(it only uses power to "turn the page") I know it lasts for a week.

Anyway, I'm well pleased with it and thought I'd share.

RichardD
06-02-2009, 10:09
I treated myself to the Sony e book reader for my Summer of hiking. I have already read three books on it and I have not yet started my hike. I have about a dozen free books loaded and about a dozen that I purchased. I also have the AT guidebook and the guide from this website along with resupply articles loaded. I find it better than a paperback since I never lose my page and I can adjust the print size to make the reading easier on my aging eyes.
The e book has a good backlight feature which I will likely not use on the trail for battery life reasons. I am not sure about battery life but my use so far suggests that I can read at least an entire novel on one battery charge provided I don't use the backlight. It promises to be a great addition to my backpacking gear.

flemdawg1
06-02-2009, 11:08
I'm reading 'The Iliad' right now, (Dan Simmons' Ilium and Olympos got me into Greek myth mode), but I hadn't though of Clifford. One problem: I think it only comes in hardcover...

Nope I, umm I mean, my kids have a soft cover version.

Hikes in Rain
06-02-2009, 13:40
I'm not a fan of e-books either...I need the smell and feel of a good book to truely enjoy it.. Besides, as I read the book it provides material for starting fires..

A book burner! STONE HIM!! :)

I do a lot of on-line reading, and while it gets the info across, it's just not the same as having the tactile and olfactory senses involved to help make the experience more "real". I can get lost in a good book, especially an old one, far more completely than an electronic version of the same thing.

ShoelessWanderer
06-02-2009, 13:54
I read too fast to always carry one. I like shelter books. Pick up a book at one shelter, drop it wherever you're done with it. I like to sign in the front and put down my 2 cent review. I dropped one during cross-season (NOBOs meeting SOBOs) and it bounced N and S (I heard that from a guy I met who had also read it and told me he picked it up due to my recommendation in the front leaf). Stopped at a used book sale in CT once (Kent, I think), got several paperbacks and carried them off (4 for $2, IIRC). Only I read fast, so the weight went down quick (a day or two per book).

You should join bookcrossing.com, fun way to track books you leave on the trail!

I LOVE to read, can't think of NOT having a book with me. Ecspecially on those really rainy nights where you can hang out in your tent and stay dry. For weekend trips I just bring whatever paper back I find at a thrift store (I like my 50 cent finds!). For a week long one, I always bring an old favorite. I can knock out a novel in a week easily, so I want something I can reread if need be.

And I'm with the originial poster that e-books just aren't the same! I also refuse to bring an i-pod with me. Call me old fashioned, but I hit the trail to escape the electronics. I hit the trail head, and the cell gets turned off and thrown in the pack to be forgotten about for the rest of the trip. I want to feel a book in my hands, an electronic just isn't the same!

ShoelessWanderer
06-02-2009, 13:57

I've talked to a lot of other people who do that. It just seems so wrong though! :eek: lol. It goes against everything I know! :) I'd rather just carry out the extra weight. I'm a little weight packer, I figure what's a half a pound for a book, right?

cmcdonal2001
06-02-2009, 17:39
Burning the books is an interesting idea, and a practical one, but I'm not sure if I could bring myself to do it! Some good reading suggestions though; keep 'em coming!

Anyone know if there's anything similar to trail books on the Colorado Trail, or would it just be the equivalent of littering out here?

fancyfeet
06-02-2009, 20:50
You should join bookcrossing.com, fun way to track books you leave on the trail!

Thanks, I'll check that out.

I've talked to a lot of other people who do that. It just seems so wrong though! :eek: lol. It goes against everything I know! :) I'd rather just carry out the extra weight. I'm a little weight packer, I figure what's a half a pound for a book, right?

Yeah, I'm with you. Books are meant to be read more than once. It's just so wasteful! I do burn my pencil puzzles once I finish them, though.

Desert Reprobate
06-02-2009, 20:56
I agree with burning the books. I go to a used book store and get old books that are ready for the fire. Burn the pages as you read them and lighten the pack as you hike. I wouldn't do that with new novels. Mine go to the VA after all my friends have read them.

The Solemates
06-03-2009, 10:04
i usually bring at least 1 book along with me. on my thru, i had 3 books at any one time...a guidebook, a bible, and another.

DAJA
06-03-2009, 10:57
I agree with burning the books. I go to a used book store and get old books that are ready for the fire. Burn the pages as you read them and lighten the pack as you hike. I wouldn't do that with new novels. Mine go to the VA after all my friends have read them.

Agreed.. I too believe a book should be handed around to be read many times... The only books I'd burn as I read them are old paperbacks that are overly warn... New or lightly used books are traded with hiking companions or brought home to be shared with friends...

Sometimes if the section i'm burning has moved me in some way, I'll have a little ceramony in woods giving thanks for such thoughtful words before burning... My GF and other hiking friends always get a kick out of my late night fire rants..:o

cmcdonal2001
06-03-2009, 12:46
OK...I can see burning books as you go if they're on their last legs anyways. Used bookstore, here I come!

SunnyWalker
12-27-2010, 13:20
I didn't know if I would like the eBooks but I experimented and purchased a Sony eBook Reader (Pocket size). It took some getting used to but now I am devouring books left and right on it. I really liked it when I purchased Geo Bush's book for $9.99 on the eBook store. In the stores it was going for $24.99 The charge on the Sony model will last two weeks. One may also hook into public libraries. All eBook readers do not offer that feature or ability. I am even thinking about buy another model this week.

SunnyWalker
12-30-2010, 00:49
Bring an eBook along on a hike and knowing its robust capability to store books one could keep up their reading and not suffer from lack of books. Especially if the eBook reader is WiFi capable. -Chaplain