PDA

View Full Version : Goodwill

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 00:07
So I was in Va today, and decided to stop by Goodwill (place is like a drug), once again I found something cool (last time it was a REI Trekker for 6 bucks) this time it was a mini aluminum coffee pot, it was 2 bucks, but I had to have it lol. I got it home and through it on the scale and it topped 6 ounces, 2 of which is the little glass knob in the lid. I hate instant and even though I can make a real nice cup of cowboy in my camp pot, I am thinking of taking this with, I mean heck what is 6 ounces lol. I am torn trim the fat or take the luxury pot yuuuuuummmmmmmmmm coffee

fancyfeet
06-02-2009, 00:57
Take it. Your pack is light enough. Replace the knob with a wooden bead, or an acorn perhaps...Coffee rules.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 01:01
Will it mess with how it percolates if it doesn't have that hollow glass knob?

fancyfeet
06-02-2009, 02:50
Oh...it's a perc! I thought just a decorative knob. Not such a good idea to modify then.

Really? You gonna perc coffee on the AT? Luxe...mmm. Make me a cup while you're at it. Or better yet, can I get an iced soy quad-shot caramel macc... Whoops, got this thread crossed with the book thread and thought I was at Barnes n Noble. :p My bad!

fiddlehead
06-02-2009, 05:49
Sounds like one of those things you'll be sending home from Franklin or thereabouts.
Or Monson if SOBO.
Enjoy your coffee before you do.

Homer&Marje
06-02-2009, 06:09
Take it on short trips with you. I don't think it will last long on a thru....don't know though.....I can't do without my cup o' joe in the morning at home. On the trails I make instant or hot cocoa....most of the times cocoa.

CowHead
06-02-2009, 06:37
I used the folgers single packs their light and make a great cup of joe in the morning

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 10:01
I think I am going to take it with, heck 6 oz is like a pack of Ramen, and now i can take some real coffee

waywardfool
06-02-2009, 10:46
If yer gonna be perkin'....and not just get it water hot enough to make instant...you'll need more fuel (weight). Add that in, too.

sherrill
06-02-2009, 11:01
I'm a coffee junkie and I agree with CowHead, the Folgers singles are pretty good. This coming from a guy who maintains the percolator at work for everyone. So, give them a try if you'd like, they are lighter than a pot.

If not, let me know where you'll be on the trail so you can make me a nice cup o' joe... :D

thunderson
06-02-2009, 11:20
I don't know what kind of cookin' you do but if it's freezer bag or just hot water added stuff, the percolator could certainly pull double duty and replace your normal cookpot. win/win with real coffee

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 11:38
I don't know what kind of cookin' you do but if it's freezer bag or just hot water added stuff, the percolator could certainly pull double duty and replace your normal cookpot. win/win with real coffee
That was my first thought, but the percolator parts fill up most of the inside, inside my pot is my stove, stand, pan handle, lighter, windscreen, fork, spoon, knife, salt, and pepper. I don't really need the coffee maker, and wasn't even going to take coffee this trip, but when I saw this maker I had to buy it lol. I figure I should be able to fit a half a pound of coffee inside and make the hole thing be about 1 pound.

flemdawg1
06-02-2009, 11:44
Found a pair of new Eddie Bauer trekking poles for $5 (packaging torn and LED light didn't work) last weekend, snapped them up.

Coffee: I still like my Merlitta cone. Cost $3 at the grocery store (got mine for $0.50 at the TS), weighs less than 1 ounce, and makes excellent joe.

chefbrian1
06-02-2009, 11:58
The goodwill rocks. I picked up my short sleeve shirt, my shorts and hiking pants for my hike there all for $10. Figured it would cost me 125-150 new at a camping store.

CB

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 11:59
Found a pair of new Eddie Bauer trekking poles for $5 (packaging torn and LED light didn't work) last weekend, snapped them up.

Coffee: I still like my Merlitta cone. Cost $3 at the grocery store (got mine for $0.50 at the TS), weighs less than 1 ounce, and makes excellent joe.
I don't think people know how awesome the thrift stores are lol. There are so many people with more money than brains, and they buy the nicest gear in the world because they think they want to be a hiker, and after 4 hours of walking they say F@#k this and throw their gear in the closet till one day the wife gets tired of looking at it and drops it off at goodwill lol. I used to volunteer at the Salvation Army, and was always amazed.

Dr O
06-02-2009, 12:03
STOP TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT GOODWILL.

if all I can find next time I go are corduroy bell bottoms I know who to blame

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 12:05
STOP TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT GOODWILL.

if all I can find next time I go are corduroy bell bottoms I know who to blame
I was so thinking that after my last post lol. I have to drive 2 hours for good thrift stores now lol, but I am lucky there are a gagillion military bases around this area so enough gear to go around

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 12:06
Really want to find good stuff go on a post with lots of housing and drive around early in the mourning on trash day lol