PDA

View Full Version : Starting NOBO 1.5-2 Month Hike in GA. Weather? Bugs? Shelter Crowding?

martini159
06-02-2009, 00:14
As the title states, I plan on starting NOBO from Springer for a 1.5-2 month hike, starting in about two weeks.

Questions:

1. What is the weather like at this time of year in the southern region (first 500 miles)?
2. What is the bug situation at this time of year in the southern region?
3. Will there generally be any shelter crowding (full shelters) this time of year in the southern region.

Answers might be along the lines of:

1. What low/high temps should I expect at low/high elevations. Rainy, not rainy - how bad.
2. How this might change from region to region within the first 500 miles.
3. Whether I should bother with a tent, or just a bug net / tarp combo.

Thank you so much!

phillycheze
06-02-2009, 01:52
looks like u answered your own post.

Summit
06-02-2009, 06:52
Hot days, cool nights for a few weeks. Then hot days and sultry nights, cooling toward wee hours of morning.

Knats, flies, chiggers (red bugs), ticks, skeeters galore!

http://www.rei.com/product/768970
http://www.rei.com/product/669551

I prefer a sub-four lb two-man tent for comfort with gear in rainy weather. YMMV.

flemdawg1
06-02-2009, 12:20
As the title states, I plan on starting NOBO from Springer for a 1.5-2 month hike, starting in about two weeks.

Questions:

1. What is the weather like at this time of year in the southern region (first 500 miles)?
2. What is the bug situation at this time of year in the southern region?
3. Will there generally be any shelter crowding (full shelters) this time of year in the southern region.

Answers might be along the lines of:

1. What low/high temps should I expect at low/high elevations. Rainy, not rainy - how bad.
2. How this might change from region to region within the first 500 miles.
3. Whether I should bother with a tent, or just a bug net / tarp combo.

Thank you so much!

Prob not much different than where you are now, except about 10 deg cooler over 5000 ft. The worst of the spring rains are pretty much done. And yes loads of bugs, maybe not as bad as FL, except chiggers and ticks. Its all the South baby, humid and hot.

martini159
06-02-2009, 12:58
Haha, yea hoping for a little bit cooler weather. Was doin a stretch of the Florida Trail this past weekend and it felt like I was hiking in a desert.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Take it easy,
Martin

Blissful
06-02-2009, 14:34
Warm, humid and buggy.

And bring a tent for sure.

Disney
06-02-2009, 14:39
I did the same bit at the same time in '04. There's almost nobody out. You'll have plenty of room in the shelters to spread out if you wish. It really is quite empty. The whole number of people a few days ahead and behind was about a dozen or so. And they were all section hikers as well.