PDA

View Full Version : 3 Person Car Camping Tent Ideas

jrnj5k
06-02-2009, 09:37
I just realized all I have are tarps and 1 person shelters. So what i'd like to do is get a car camping tent. It would be for 2 but i want it to be roomy since car camping is luxury camping as far as im concerned so a 3 person tent is ideal. I dont care about weight and would like it to be good in a heavy rain so it probably cant be some cheap sportsauthority tent. Finally, Im looking to spend as little as possible since this is not my primary shelter for camping type stuff.

Any Ideas?

Wags
06-02-2009, 09:54
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9QRQA

mister krabs
06-02-2009, 09:58
I just got an alps zephyr 3 (http://alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringZephyr.htm)off steep and cheap. They show up fairly regularly at just over a hundred bucks, and all over the web around 160$. It's a great and unique design, kind of like an older half dome that got knocked off kilter, putting the most usable headroom over your torso instead of your waist. It is similar in floor size to a mutha hubba, but weighs less on spec, and costs about 2/3 less. Plenty of usuable headroom, good venting, two doors and two vestibules. Materials and build quality are excellent, as good as my SD and REI tents. I only set it up in the yard and haven't had it in the rain yet, but don't forsee any problems with getting wet. Its got taped seams and a bathtub floor. Its excellent for 2, good for 2 and a kid, super tight for three, though three pads will fit in it. The isosceles trapezoid shape gives more room by your head where you need it and less by your feet. At just over 5 lbs it's light enough that I'm planning on taking it backpacking when I need bug protection and have someone to share the load with.

http://alpsmountaineering.com/images/Zephyr%202.jpg

cphobes
06-02-2009, 10:01
I just realized all I have are tarps and 1 person shelters. So what i'd like to do is get a car camping tent. It would be for 2 but i want it to be roomy since car camping is luxury camping as far as im concerned so a 3 person tent is ideal. I dont care about weight and would like it to be good in a heavy rain so it probably cant be some cheap sportsauthority tent. Finally, Im looking to spend as little as possible since this is not my primary shelter for camping type stuff.

Any Ideas?

Suggestions? LL Bean's 6-man tents are good, Eureka has some good 4/6 man dome's, avoid store bought cheap tents like Coleman. Their large family tents are too complex (see below). Remember you do get what you pay for.

In my experience with car camping, I go a few times a year both with family and with the cub scouts, you'll want to look for these key features:

(1) Full coverage fly, department store tents generally have skimpy rain fly's that do NOT keep out a good rain storm. Make sure there's more than a 1-2 inch overlap between the mesh and rain fly.
(2) Simple Dome, don't get one with lots of side dome's or tunnels. These are just additional weak spots that will allow rain into the tent. More seams more leaks.
(3) Most 4 or 6 man tents allow for 2-3 people to share the tent, avoid 8+ man tents. Too big for some campgrounds and to hard to setup by yourself.
(4) Ceilings, makes sure you get one that's at least 6' at center as it's always nice to be able to stand while getting changed. Some 4-man tents are not that high but some are.
(5) Bathtub, factory sealed flooring
(6) Aluminum poles, they just last longer.
(7) Get a ground cloth or footprint, a lot of campgrounds have sand/gravel as the base of campsites. A good ground cloth will help make that tent last and it won't get chewed up.
(8) Vestibules rock and are worth it, think down pour and trying to keep your tent dry while getting in/out.
(9) Lots of research, campmor has a good selection and allows for comparisons of key spec's.
(10) Patience, I ordered a tent that was my 2nd choice since my first was out of stock, I have since regretted it. I should have waited. I like my Sierra Designs Bedouin 6 man but I would have preferred the 6-man LLBean with aluminum poles and add on vestibule.

Good luck,
-Stephen

mister krabs
06-02-2009, 10:19
Sorry to be an alps fanboy, but if you're going stephen's route of a 4+ man tent, I bought my zephyr based on my experience with an Alps Taurus 5OF (http://alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringTaurusOutfitter.htm) (outfitter-heavy duty) Also awesome, build quality equivalent to my friend's North Face trailhead tent. 6' headroom, classic half dome design with two aluminum poles, two vestibules, fly to the ground. None of the issues that overly complicated big cheap tents have.

bigcranky
06-02-2009, 10:38
I would get a 4 or 6 person tent for car camping with 2 people. Seriously. We have a six person dome that is quite comfy for 2 people with all their gear, pads, chairs, duffle bags, etc.

For car camping longer than an overnight, I rig a 16x24 foot poly tarp over the tent. Keeps things really dry even in a downpour, plus it gives us a nice "front porch" where we can sit in our camp chairs and eat, read, hang out.

LL Bean sells a 4 or 6 person tent with a built-in screened front porch. It's really expensive, though.

Jim Adams
06-02-2009, 10:45
I got a coleman 6 person, 10' x 10' x 6'4" tall dome on ebay for $1.26...yes you read that right, $1.26. Shipping was $12. It doesn't leak. Has enough room for 2 cots, 2 chairs and a roll-a-table and all gear or an inflatable queen size matress and all gear. Weighs 17lb. Just search, you'll find deals.

geek

jrnj5k
06-02-2009, 10:55
..........wow............

flemdawg1
06-02-2009, 10:58
I have a Kelty Trail Dome 6 for car camping. 10x10 dome with Al poles and a full fly. Excellent ventalation and 13lbs (originally had delusions of using it backpacking for my family of 5). Paid $99 for it as a refurb at outdoor outlet (now defunct).

flemdawg1
06-02-2009, 11:02
Oops, looks like they're back.
http://outdooroutlet.com/index.php

soulrebel
06-02-2009, 11:09
8x8 Coleman kvika $45.99 NEW @ Costco btw, it fits easily on gravel tent pads found in many national forests.

skinewmexico
06-02-2009, 14:13
You're car camping, get something big and cheap at Walmart, Sam's Club, or Costco. You'd be shocked at how much weather they can take, and it's not like you're 20 miles from the trailhead and your car. Besides, most of the people camping around you will be looking for the number on your Nascar shirt, not which high-end outdoor label you have on the tent.