PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate My 2009 SOBO Gear List Please!

phillycheze
06-02-2009, 11:11
Phil's SOBO List:

Pack: Gregory z65

Sleep System:
• MSR Hubba Tent
• Sierra Designs Wicked Light 45 Sleeping Bag
• Thermarest Prolite Pad
• Cocoon Silk Liner

Cooking System
• MSR Pocket Rocket or Alcohol Stove (Still Deciding)
• MSR Titanium Pot
• Micro Bites Combo Utensils
• Bic Lighter

Water System
• MSR Sweetwater Filter
• Platypus 2.0 L Bladder
• 2 Gatorade Style Bottles
• Small Cup (for collection)
• Cut Bladder (for collection)

Clothing in Pack
• 2 pr. Wool Socks
• OR Foray Jacket
• Mammut 650 Down Jacket
• TNF Synthetic Top
• REI Synthetic Bottom
• Exofficio Boxers
• MHW Sun Hat
• Carhartt Blaze Orange Beanie
• MHW Zip-off Pants

Clothing Worn
• Synthetic T-Shirt
• TNF Running Shorts
• Wool Socks
• Vasque Velocity VST Shoes

Gear Etc
• AMK UL .5 First Aid Kit (adding Motrin and Ammodium AD*)
• Maps* and Compass
• Sections of the App Pages SOBO Edition (as needed)
• DEET*
• Head Net*
• Toiletries (Small Soap, Toothbrush & Paste, TP, Hand Sanitizer)
• Small Chamois
• Bandanna
• Assorted Sil-Nylon Stuff and Compression Sacks
• Durable Camera*
• Note Pad and Pen*
• Mini Fire Starters
• Fix It Kit (Thread and Needle, Saftey Pins, Duck Tape)*
• Petzl Head Lamp
• Knife*

Two Tents
06-02-2009, 11:35
Is the OR jacket your rain gear? How about a garbage bag for a pack cover. You look like you have everything else. Happy Trails---Two Tents.

phillycheze
06-02-2009, 15:57
yeah, the OR jacket is my rain jacket; and i have a pack cover.

forgot to add rope and 2 small beaners for hanging food.

bigcranky
06-02-2009, 18:03
forgot to add rope and 2 small beaners for hanging food.

This is very funny in a way that I am sure you did not intend.

You probably meant 'biners as in short for carabiners.

Manwich
06-02-2009, 18:16
quote=bigcranky;847493]This is very funny in a way that I am sure you did not intend.

You probably meant 'biners as in short for carabiners.[/quote]

si

Hooch
06-02-2009, 18:24
Carry what you will, but I don't understand this incessant use of 'biners when folks don't need them. I know they look outdoorsy and all, but most of the time they're not necessary. All you have to do is tie the food bag to the line and string it up. No 'biner necessary.

Safari
06-03-2009, 04:38
your clothes list has me a bit nervous... i haven't planned on bringing a down jacket and both zip off pants and synthetic bottoms, is it gonna get that cold in summer in Maine?

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 08:08
Carry what you will, but I don't understand this incessant use of 'biners when folks don't need them. I know they look outdoorsy and all, but most of the time they're not necessary. All you have to do is tie the food bag to the line and string it up. No 'biner necessary.

A small 'biner (not a climbing 'biner) is very useful for the PCT bear bag method (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html). Maybe not essential, but close to it.

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 08:10
your clothes list has me a bit nervous... i haven't planned on bringing a down jacket and both zip off pants and synthetic bottoms, is it gonna get that cold in summer in Maine?

We were in Maine in July a couple of years ago -- not on the AT, unfortunately -- and the lows were in the 40s several times. I suspect it can get colder than that on occasion in the higher elevations.

vonfrick
06-03-2009, 08:32
Phil's SOBO List:

• Cocoon Silk Liner

seems like you have enough clothing to not need this

Water System
• MSR Sweetwater Filter
• Platypus 2.0 L Bladder
• 2 Gatorade Style Bottles
• Small Cup (for collection)
• Cut Bladder (for collection)

lose the cut bladder, not sure why you'd need it, and if you have a 2L bladder, you sure don't need 2 bottles, especially starting out, there's lots of water in maine

Clothing in Pack
• 2 pr. Wool Socks
• OR Foray Jacket
• Mammut 650 Down Jacket
• TNF Synthetic Top
• REI Synthetic Bottom
• Exofficio Boxers
• MHW Sun Hat
• Carhartt Blaze Orange Beanie
• MHW Zip-off Pants

2 hats?

Gear Etc
• Head Net*

just silly

• Small Chamois
• Bandanna

lose the chamois and bring a second bandana, lighter and dries faster

• Mini Fire Starters

don't need this if you have a lighter

gearfreak
06-03-2009, 09:20
Looks well thought out. You'll need to consider fuel regardless of which stove you decide on. You can nix the bladder for gathering water, but at 1oz. I'd keep the other for those times you may have a dry camp. I carry a cap and a beanie as well. I wouldn't find a cap very comfortable or useful trying to sleep in it on a cold night. From what I've read about bugs up north in the summer I don't find the head net silly at all; it's not a fashion show. I prefer stuff sacks to compression sacks as the latter tend to create voids and waste pack space. Strike a reasonable balance between weight and creature comforts and you'll enjoy yourself much more, IMO. :cool:

vonfrick
06-03-2009, 11:40
Looks well thought out. You'll need to consider fuel regardless of which stove you decide on. You can nix the bladder for gathering water, but at 1oz. I'd keep the other for those times you may have a dry camp. I carry a cap and a beanie as well. I wouldn't find a cap very comfortable or useful trying to sleep in it on a cold night. From what I've read about bugs up north in the summer I don't find the head net silly at all; it's not a fashion show. I prefer stuff sacks to compression sacks as the latter tend to create voids and waste pack space. Strike a reasonable balance between weight and creature comforts and you'll enjoy yourself much more, IMO. :cool:

sorry for the brevity in my last post. when i said silly i meant silly in the unnecessary way, not in the fashion-sense way. if he brings and applies deet, which he plans to, the bugs are not a problem, whereas a headnet can be a bother and necessitates his bringing the wide-brimmed hat as well!

jrnj5k
06-03-2009, 17:06
chapstick can be a life saver