PDA

View Full Version : Question about Baxter

hikergirl1120
06-02-2009, 11:30
I am beginning my thru on July 1st. I would like to summit Katahdin that day (weather permitting). I was told that you can leave your pack at the ranger station while you hike up. Obvioulsy just bring a day pack. Has anyone done this? I am trying to reach them but I am having a hard time getting someone on the phone.

I have a tent site for the night of July 1st, maybe I could set that up and leave my stuff there?? Just an idea, not too sure if that would be safe. Anny feedback would be appreciated:sun

blackyjones
06-02-2009, 14:39
everytime i call baxter, i get someone right away. are you sure you have the right number? i would check the website again, i just called them this morning. i wouldnt leave my stuff at the tent site, i would leave it at the ranger station and take the day pack, they are more than willing to help and that trade off is a nice easy system.

hikergirl1120
06-02-2009, 14:44
can you drive a car to katahdin stream campsite?

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-02-2009, 14:46
can you drive a car to katahdin stream campsite?

Yes, you can.

BL

hikergirl1120
06-02-2009, 14:53
got it

I am going to get there a little before 5am...hopefully on a wednesday this will be plenty of time to hit the trail LOL I am so anxious!! gosh!

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-02-2009, 17:20
got it

I am going to get there a little before 5am...hopefully on a wednesday this will be plenty of time to hit the trail LOL I am so anxious!! gosh!

Good luck and enjoy! :)

hikergirl1120
06-03-2009, 08:26
WOO HOO!!!! It's finally here and I am sooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warraghiyagey
06-03-2009, 08:30
WOO HOO!!!! It's finally here and I am sooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And you just can't hide it?
Are you about to lose control?
Do you think you like it?
Oh . . . . yeah

Kanati
06-03-2009, 14:47
I am starting north from Grafton Notch SP on June 29th or 30th in route for Katahdin to finish my hike that I began last year at Springer Mtn GA on 3/1. When you and I pass each other I want to see a big smile on your face.

Have a great hike. You'll never forget it. :sun

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-03-2009, 15:05

I'm not sure if I get it. Are you happy? :D

hikergirl1120
06-03-2009, 15:22
I'm not sure if I get it. Are you happy? :D
I think the correct term would be....ECSTATIC:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana

hikergirl1120
06-03-2009, 15:23
I am starting north from Grafton Notch SP on June 29th or 30th in route for Katahdin to finish my hike that I began last year at Springer Mtn GA on 3/1. When you and I pass each other I want to see a big smile on your face.

Have a great hike. You'll never forget it. :sun

you can't count on a big smile from me!!!!!:D

MileMonster
06-04-2009, 08:05
I seem to recall that they had a few loner day packs at the ranger station, so you might not have to bring your own. I could be wrong, though, so check it out.

warraghiyagey
06-04-2009, 08:07
I think the correct term would be....ECSTATIC:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana

You think you're ecstatic now. . . wait til you get to Katahdin Stream. . . :sun:sun

hikergirl1120
06-04-2009, 08:53
I seem to recall that they had a few loner day packs at the ranger station, so you might not have to bring your own. I could be wrong, though, so check it out.

I eventually got through and the woman told me she did have loner day packs

hikergirl1120
06-04-2009, 08:54
You think you're ecstatic now. . . wait til you get to Katahdin Stream. . . :sun:sun

I swear I am not going to be able to sleep due to the massive excitement!!!!

Blissful
06-04-2009, 13:43
Take it easy though and pace it - Katahdin is a tough climb, and just enjoy the day.

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-04-2009, 14:03
Take it easy though and pace it - Katahdin is a tough climb, and just enjoy the day.

What she said. When I climbed Katahdin the first time was as a day hiker from Katahdin Stream campground. I was 40 years old and not in "long distance" shape. I had a 2 liters of water and about a pound of gorp. By the time I finished I had consumed all my water and about half the gorp. I also was so sore and blistered that I had to hold onto the railing of the stairs at my home to climb them for a couple days thereafter!

HG, you are young so should be more resiliant than a fellow on the doorstep of middle age :) but take your time. Don't underestimate the climb!

Enjoy the experiance. I took back some fantastic memories of that day. One was just above treeline where there are ladders in the rocks. The wind was blowing so hard there that my trekking pole was vibrating and making a low WOOOoooooOOOOOoooo sound!

BL

hikergirl1120
06-04-2009, 14:55
This is going to be the "biggrdy" mountain I have climbed! I am just really looking forward to the challenege and plan to def take it easy...I am more excited about the start of my thru...I feel like I have been so busy planning and worrying about gear that it's suddenly here, it happened fast!

Safari
06-04-2009, 17:55
Hey i hear you HG! Ecstatic, buzzing... yahoo, its nearly gonna happen!
I am leaving from Katahdin 2 weeks after you on my thru, it's dancing bananas all round...!

Safari
06-04-2009, 17:56
that is....:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

hikergirl1120
06-05-2009, 07:30
WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

everytime I read this thread I get even more psyched.

My friend came over last night and we were looking at my maps and stuff so AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foxfire01
06-05-2009, 08:49
You can leave your pack and get a daypack at the station. A lot of people leave their hiking poles as they get in the way on some of the steeper areas.

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-06-2009, 00:04
Are you going to have a journal on TJ?

hikergirl1120
06-07-2009, 17:41
I don't know how....I am assuming you mean Trail Journals?? Not really sure how that works or how I would make"entries" on it....

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-07-2009, 18:19
I don't know how....I am assuming you mean Trail Journals?? Not really sure how that works or how I would make"entries" on it....

Yes, Trail Journals. I just was curious. You are so enthusiastic I thought it would make a good read! :)

hikergirl1120
06-07-2009, 19:30
I am not just sure about internet access along the way.....maybe libraries?

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-07-2009, 19:41
I am not just sure about internet access along the way.....maybe libraries?

Probably. Although I'm into tech I would think long and hard about keeping a trail journal. I would be afraid it would become tedious after a while.

I wasn't trying to talk you into it. I was curious is all. Hike your own hike. :)

BL

Many Walks
06-07-2009, 20:19
I agree!

Hikergirl, once you set foot on the trail you'll be amazed at the journey that awaits you and the fact that you are FINALLY there. You have the enthusiasm to make this an exceptional hike. Wish you the best and enjoy every moment!

CowHead
06-07-2009, 20:52
I can't wait for the class of 2020 woo hoo sweet hiking retirement or if the wife gets her phd i'll retire early which is a bigger woo hooo hoooo