PDA

View Full Version : Sevierville, TN

SGT Rock
06-26-2004, 14:35
Another possible job oportunity has come to my attention in Knoxville. Since I don't like living in big cities, I was looking in TN around the area that the unit is in. The idea is I want somewhere within 30 miles of work, and Sevierville fits the bill. Anyone live in that area that can give me the scoop?

MOWGLI
06-26-2004, 14:47
Another possible job oportunity has come to my attention in Knoxville. Since I don't like living in big cities, I was looking in TN around the area that the unit is in. The idea is I want somewhere within 30 miles of work, and Sevierville fits the bill. Anyone live in that area that can give me the scoop?

Sarge:

I can tell you that it's not far at all from Gatlinburg. Bob Dylan & Willie Nelson will be playing there on August 18 at the Tennessee Smokies Minor League baseball stadium. Woo hoo! I plan to be there. Heck, any little town with a minior league baseball stadium is pretty cool as far as I'm concerned.

Little Bear

Tripod
06-26-2004, 15:10
Sevierville is not a bad small town if you don't mind wall to wall tourist most of the year. Most of them go from I-40 through Sevierville to get to Piegon Forge and Gattlinburg. This is one of the fastest growing areas of East Tennessee. There are of course areas that are off the beaten path that are ok.

You might take a look at the Maryville/Townsen area. My brother lives on this side of Knoxville near Madisonville and likes it a lot. Also the Newport/Cosby area is not nearly as crowded, is close to the mountains, but is a little further from Knoxville.

Good Luck

smokymtnsteve
06-26-2004, 15:18
nope forget it that rock that whole g'burg, pigeon ford area sucks...IMO...talk about traffic...heat crowds...very ugly developement...townsend Tn..Wear Valley area is more attractive...about 35 miles or 1 hour to K'ville.

Jaybird
06-26-2004, 15:28

Sgt.Rock

Sevierville would be a great place for you to resettle.
Like was posted earlier...the only drawback is the tourists coming thru heading to Dollywood (in Pigeon Forge) or Gatlinburg.

But if you stay off main street Sevierville...you've got a great little town.
My wife & i own a condo in Pigeon Forge that faces the mountains...we never go thru town...always use the backroads & when we have to go home...we go thru Townsend & never see Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge "the scurge towns of the Smokies!"

good luck with the hunt. :D

Lilred
06-26-2004, 17:59
Townsend is one of my favorite places in TN. Every time we go to the Smokies, we stay in Townsend. We hardly set foot in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. Townsend is known as the 'back porch' to Cades Cove. There's a trail leading out of Cades Cove that goes to the AT. The name escapes me right now.
Good luck with the hunt.

SGT Rock
06-26-2004, 19:14
I like the look of Townsend's location, but just doing general searches (I know the internet isn't the best way to look, but I'm 12 hours drive away) I can't find a lot in Townsend. I can find some good homes that it looks like I could afford if I decided to buy (and I really want to) in Sevierville. There also some listings in Walland and a great deal of listings in Maryville.

smokymtnsteve
06-26-2004, 19:24
http://keenersells.com/covemeadows/

SGT Rock
06-26-2004, 19:36
Nice link Steve, but I think that I will probably need some diggs to move right into. The unit in Knoxville is a NG unit that is deploying to Iraq. I need to get my family into a building and settled before I am running all over the US to get them set.

smokymtnsteve
06-26-2004, 19:57
I gotta an old Airstream you can live in till you get a place..it's over in
Franklin NC...

Brushy Sage
06-26-2004, 21:15
Nice link Steve, but I think that I will probably need some diggs to move right into. The unit in Knoxville is a NG unit that is deploying to Iraq. I need to get my family into a building and settled before I am running all over the US to get them set.

Does this mean you will be going back over with the Knoxville unit?

SGT Rock
06-26-2004, 21:16
Actually that might not be a bad idea depending on how this goes. I have discussed with my wife the idea that I might live up there alone until we can close on a house if we do end up there.

As to deploying with the Knoxville unit, as I understand it, the plan is to deploy the NG unit, then they don't know what the active duty training advisors (that would be the job) would do. I would surmise that they would find them a job preparing another unit for deployment, but I don't know for sure. My old CO from the war is now in Athens, TN already doing this job, and my last conversation with him about this basically boiled down to the point that the Army had a plan for them up until the 278th Cavalry deployed, then after that there wasn't a plan. There was a very short lived plan to send the AC/RC advisors over with the NG units they supported, but that was killed.

This job is just one of many possible options that I could be directed to, including staying here at Fort Polk. I am trying to get my information ready for each Corse of Action (COA). The others may include Ft Knox, KY, Storrs, CT, and others I have not heard of yet. Hopefully I get a better idea by Tuesday. thankfully the WhiteBlaze members are a very diverse group, so just about anywhere I may end up getting aimed at, I can probably find a subject matter expert here on the site.

Brushy Sage
06-26-2004, 21:28
Actually that might not be a bad idea depending on how this goes. I have discussed with my wife the idea that I might live up there alone until we can close on a house if we do end up there.

As to deploying with the Knoxville unit, as I understand it, the plan is to deploy the NG unit, then they don't know what the active duty training advisors (that would be the job) would do. I would surmise that they would find them a job preparing another unit for deployment, but I don't know for sure. My old CO from the war is now in Athens, TN already doing this job, and my last conversation with him about this basically boiled down to the point that the Army had a plan for them up until the 278th Cavalry deployed, then after that there wasn't a plan. There was a very short lived plan to send the AC/RC advisors over with the NG units they supported, but that was killed.

This job is just one of many possible options that I could be directed to, including staying here at Fort Polk. I am trying to get my information ready for each Corse of Action (COA). The others may include Ft Knox, KY, Storrs, CT, and others I have not heard of yet. Hopefully I get a better idea by Tuesday. thankfully the WhiteBlaze members are a very diverse group, so just about anywhere I may end up getting aimed at, I can probably find a subject matter expert here on the site.

I was at Ft. Polk (North Fort) during the Vietnam War. There are lots better places, including the Appalachian Mountains. Best wishes on your search!

Rebel, with a Cause!
06-29-2004, 08:07
As I said in the other post, I live near Maryville, Tn. The airport for Knoxville is here and its a short 20 minute drive to reach the Smokies Park. Townsend is super cool but, its too long of a drive to get to Knoxville.

I would look into Alcoa, Maryville or Louisville, TN. Its just 13 miles to Knoxville, all on a nice big highway. Its also 20 miles from the park, so you are inbetween both worlds.

Send me an email and ill get you my phone number and be glad to help you find a place to live. I live in Louisville, Tn and can be in Knoxville in 10 minutes tops and to the airport in 3 minutes.

[email protected]

Try to stay away from West Knoxville as its crowded, Expensive and I hate it
Sevierville is nice but its a long drive back to Knoxville everyday, especially to the side of Knoxville you will be working at. Townsend is also a bit too far.

Try out Maryville, Alcoa or Louisville and you will have the best of both worlds. Do you need a Good School system for kids? What kind of work does your wife do?

Anyway get back to me and ill help. Im 52 years old and have lived here all of my life, and I love hiking the area near here.

Once again, Congrads on coming to this area, you will simply love it. There is no better place in the world to live.

God Speed and Good Luck

SGT Rock
06-29-2004, 08:32
Maryville was on my list of places to check, and I will look into the others as well.

Just a basic run down:

I have two sons, 1st grade and 8th grade. I need a good school for them. I prefer rural to city atmosphere.

My wife has a degree in accounting and has also worked in real estate doing rental property management. She doesn't plan to work, and I don't plan on making her. She might changer her mind when I open a shuttle buissness to service The Smoky Mountains LOL :D

My job will be near the interstate on the south east side of town.

I am hoping to buy a house, hopefully something with some land somewhere between Knoxville and the Smokies. I should spend less than $120K, and I need a three bedroom and would at least like about 1800 square feet.

If the assigmnet works out, I plan to sink roots in the area and retire there. A good job prospect for follow on jobs and a good college are also a plus.

Doctari
06-30-2004, 14:33
I second the suggestions to go to Townsend!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Alcoa.

Don't do Severeville/Pigeonforge/Gatlinburg. From what little I know of you from the forums, I see in my crystal ball that within the 3rd or 4th week of touron season you would be on your front pourch with a rifle "Plinking" tourons. :D

Doctari.

smokymtnsteve
06-30-2004, 14:50
I lived on the Cherokee reservation for a year ,,,and I understand the bumpersticker.

"IF IT'S TOURIST SEASON, WHY CAN'T WE SHOOT THEM?"

d'shadow
06-30-2004, 15:27
St. Rock, Take sevierville as a home town and enjoy settling in to a new life.
I know many of local's from that area and they are great people to know and work with. I can hardly think of a better place to raise your kids than in these mountains. Not only will you be closer to work, but a hop, skip and jump away from all the hiking you can handle. And while we do make our living off the tourist's, they go home in the fall and we have the mountains to ourselves for the winter and spring which is wonderful! :banana

Don't ever forget that mountain people judge you on what kind of person you are and once they accept you, they will always be your friend in every way imaginable. Follow your instinct on this on, St. Rock, think you have made a good choice.:welcome

SGT Rock
06-30-2004, 17:03
Although I haven't completly ruled out Sevierville, I am now looking a little closer to the Maryville area. Rebel with a Cause is giving me some great tips and contacts.

smokymtnsteve
06-30-2004, 17:47
The night wind blow'd up
The Tennessee laurel
From the Gulf of Desolation
The hammer of Thor unchinked the walls
And tested our foundation
Two states our shack divides
It could blow to either side

From the gant lot rolled
A thunderin crash
The gale just felled a spruce tree
Then Doc told how he'd sailed with the wind
From here to Tuckaleechee
Ol' windmaker blowin' liars
Clear outa Carolina

CHORUS
Now fellers mark what you dream tonight
Hit'll shore come true tomorrow
A dream of blood forebodes a fight
Clear water gets the b'ar

A quarrel with a woman's an old she-bear
And muddy water's harm
Don't tell anyone what you dreamed, you hear!
It'll spile the dream's charm

Git up, you pups, the hunchback barked
that coggled-up fire's a-smokin
You dew-clawed hounds got a bear to chase
Before the day has broken
Dred and Coaly you better run fast
Where the bear feed on the mast

Then Little John cut a pigeon wing
Uncorked a jug in the fire-glow
He twirled around and commenced to sing
To an imaginary banjo
Did you ever see the devil
With his old gourd head and shovel

The mighty bulk of Clingman's Dome
All black in spruce and balsam
Raised up its head in the morning dew
Like a bear so big and awesome
It took the firmament
In the earth's awaking scent

Then Kep told us a hunter's dream
He was chokin a big ol' woman
And dollars rolled from out of her mouth
And just kept on a-comin
Good la! You've told us all
Kep, for you the hunt is spiled!

Lilred
06-30-2004, 18:25
Tuckaleechee is Townsend. They changed the name decades ago. That's why you'll find the Tuckaleechee campground and the Tuckaleechee Cavern in Townsend.