PDA

View Full Version : MA/CT AT. Beginner - LOTS of questions

tleong
06-02-2009, 12:55
Hello All,

Two of my friends and myself are looking to plan the hike Massachusetts - Conneticut part of the Appalachian Trail. We have already read the basic information concerning the difficulty and length of the trail, however there are some questions that I hope you can answer.

1) I understand we can hike the trail either north to south or vice versa. We are coming from Brooklyn, NY - which would you recommend?
A. What is the address I would put into my GPS to arrive at the start destination?
B. What/Where is the contact number for where I would park?

2) I understand there are shuttles that will take hikers to their start/end point
A. Who do I need to contact to arrange this?

3) When it comes to food/water, the hike is 87 miles long - and we antipate it will take us 7-8 days; what do you recommend for supplies?

I am sure by now, you realize that we are very new to the hiking experience, but are looking forward to the challenge. If there are any other/further instructions, advice, procedures that I missed, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO TELL ME. Some of the things experienced hikers might think is obvious, might be new to us. Thank you in advance!

Manwich
06-02-2009, 13:19
So you're doing a hike that's going to take a week or two?

1) A) Start by leaving behind your GPS. If your car is going to spend many nights alone on the side of the road, it'll get stolen. Print out directions, don't let technology think for you... and we have No idea where you're starting so we have no idea where you should park, but...

B) This website: http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx lists most of the areas you can park along the AT.

2) Up there, there aren't too many shuttles going around. Better luck getting a taxi or a friend to drop you off.

3) Carry a Water Filter. I've just hiked through the entire area and the water situation is pretty good. Purchase the AT Guidebooks and Maps for that area so the fire department won't have to conduct a search for you. http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Guide-Massachusetts-Connecticut-Conference/dp/1889386138/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243962865&sr=8-1

Make sure you've got a 40* bag, tent (don't rely on shelters... they're often occupied by fatscouts,) enough fuel for cooking, enough food with a ton of calories (I like 2,000 calories a day but tonnes of people will disagree and say that's too little or too much.) When you plan your food, a good average to keep it at is 100calories per oz. Get your protein (peanuts, peanut butter, quinoa, tvp, soy beans or power bars,) keep yourself hyrdrated (drink more water if you find your urine is getting darker

Perhaps post a list of the equipment that you're bringing and their weights here.

K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid. Don't bring machetes, Moms pots n pans, silverware or anything that says Coleman on it.

Snowleopard
06-02-2009, 13:33
"water filter" or chemical treatments will be lighter http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500030&cat=4500460&hist=cat,4500030:Filters+and+Purifiers^cat,4500460 :Halogens+and+Chemicals

If you have two cars, you could drop one car at one end and drive to the other end. There is a shuttle service just announced here (never used it) http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50819&highlight=kent+shuttle It costs $$.

Weigh your equipment and leave out anything that you "might need sometime".
Try all your equipment before you leave home, even if it is just setting up your tent in your apartment and cooking a meal in a park.

If you don't have equipment, you can probably rent it in NYC.
Bring DEET for bugs.

Read the articles on this website.
Have fun. --Walter

tleong
06-02-2009, 13:33
So you're doing a hike that's going to take a week or two?

1) A) Start by leaving behind your GPS. If your car is going to spend many nights alone on the side of the road, it'll get stolen. Print out directions, don't let technology think for you... and we have No idea where you're starting so we have no idea where you should park, but...

B) This website: http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx lists most of the areas you can park along the AT.

2) Up there, there aren't too many shuttles going around. Better luck getting a taxi or a friend to drop you off.

3) Carry a Water Filter. I've just hiked through the entire area and the water situation is pretty good. Purchase the AT Guidebooks and Maps for that area so the fire department won't have to conduct a search for you. http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Guide-Massachusetts-Connecticut-Conference/dp/1889386138/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243962865&sr=8-1

Make sure you've got a 40* bag, tent (don't rely on shelters... they're often occupied by fatscouts,) enough fuel for cooking, enough food with a ton of calories (I like 2,000 calories a day but tonnes of people will disagree and say that's too little or too much.) When you plan your food, a good average to keep it at is 100calories per oz. Get your protein (peanuts, peanut butter, quinoa, tvp, soy beans or power bars,) keep yourself hyrdrated (drink more water if you find your urine is getting darker

Perhaps post a list of the equipment that you're bringing and their weights here.

K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid. Don't bring machetes, Moms pots n pans, silverware or anything that says Coleman on it.

Thank you for your quick reply. We do not know where we're starting either. Where do you recommend? I have been told to purchase the guidebook, so I will do that right away. We don't have any equipment at all, but we will stop by a local hiking/outdoor sport and purchase the needed things. Thank you for the suggested calorie intake/day. Lastly, should I be worried about something happening to my car? Is there a place you would recommend since you did the trail recently? Thanks in advance.

tleong
06-02-2009, 13:35
"water filter" or chemical treatments will be lighter http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500030&cat=4500460&hist=cat,4500030:Filters+and+Purifiers^cat,4500460 :Halogens+and+Chemicals

If you have two cars, you could drop one car at one end and drive to the other end. There is a shuttle service just announced here (never used it) http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50819&highlight=kent+shuttle It costs $$.

Weigh your equipment and leave out anything that you "might need sometime".
Try all your equipment before you leave home, even if it is just setting up your tent in your apartment and cooking a meal in a park.

If you don't have equipment, you can probably rent it in NYC.
Bring DEET for bugs.

Read the articles on this website.
Have fun. --Walter

Thank you! I have bookmarked the taxi service!

Snowleopard
06-02-2009, 13:35
Bring some kind of backpacking stove and fuel; campfires aren't allowed in CT on the AT (I think).
I've got one similar to http://www.rei.com/product/643058
that works well.

ShoelessWanderer
06-02-2009, 13:41
Hello All,

Two of my friends and myself are looking to plan the hike Massachusetts - Conneticut part of the Appalachian Trail. We have already read the basic information concerning the difficulty and length of the trail, however there are some questions that I hope you can answer.

1) I understand we can hike the trail either north to south or vice versa. We are coming from Brooklyn, NY - which would you recommend?
A. What is the address I would put into my GPS to arrive at the start destination?
B. What/Where is the contact number for where I would park?

2) I understand there are shuttles that will take hikers to their start/end point
A. Who do I need to contact to arrange this?

3) When it comes to food/water, the hike is 87 miles long - and we antipate it will take us 7-8 days; what do you recommend for supplies?

I am sure by now, you realize that we are very new to the hiking experience, but are looking forward to the challenge. If there are any other/further instructions, advice, procedures that I missed, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO TELL ME. Some of the things experienced hikers might think is obvious, might be new to us. Thank you in advance!

If looking for shuttles, check out the ATC website, they actually have a shuttle list posted. I know I found 2 for my trip to CT. Both were super nice guys and more than happy to work with me!

1azarus
06-02-2009, 13:41
I think south to north would be best -- not that the terrain ever gets too tough, but it is gentlest at the southern end, so you can "warm up" that way. The rocks toward the northern end will make you feel like you've had a nice taste of adventure.

The southern terminus address in Hoyt Road, Wingdale, NY, a little side road that runs between RTE 55 and RTE 39 (Anderson road in CT, Hoyt road in NY). There is a nice 3 car parking area. I've never had a problem leaving my car there -- houses are nearby. You don't need permission to park there... you may choose to leave a message on the dashboard with a vague note about being on the AT for a few days... and just make sure a friend or family member has your actual itinerary.

Greg Peters
Torrington, CT
(860) 307-7121
[email protected]
Covers all of Conn., most of southern
Mass., and most of N.Y.

is a shuttler listed at the appalachiantrail.org site. He may well be able to help you. It is a short enough hike that it may make sense to drop a car off at the northern end, drive a second car back to Hoyt Road, and start hiking...

buy aquamira to purify your water (I love it...), or take other advice which is in copious quantity on this website.

you should carry between 1 1/2 pounds and 2 pounds of food per person per day. you should not carry food for 8 days -- plan on stopping for a resupply about half way through... OR you could leave the car with supplies at the midpoint, resupply and move cars to finish the hike. Lighter is generally better, so you could even use the car-stepping approach for two resupplies as you head north. this also gives you a chance to dump extra things you brought, or pick up backup things in the car.

there is a camping goods store on the road into Kent -- can't miss it. they might be able to help solve the problems you uncover in the first couple of days...

I can't overemphasize the lighter is better thing. If you must have clean clothes, leave a change in the car... I would suggest that, for this time of the year, you should not be carrying any more than 30 pounds each, including food and water. 25 pounds would be even better... you could post your packing list and ask for advice.

CT is absolutely beatiful. Enjoy my home state!

hikergirl1120
06-02-2009, 13:47
Nah campfires are allowed for the most part, especially by lean to's

tleong
06-02-2009, 13:53
I think south to north would be best -- not that the terrain ever gets too tough, but it is gentlest at the southern end, so you can "warm up" that way. The rocks toward the northern end will make you feel like you've had a nice taste of adventure.

The southern terminus address in Hoyt Road, Wingdale, NY, a little side road that runs between RTE 55 and RTE 39 (Anderson road in CT, Hoyt road in NY). There is a nice 3 car parking area. I've never had a problem leaving my car there -- houses are nearby. You don't need permission to park there... you may choose to leave a message on the dashboard with a vague note about being on the AT for a few days... and just make sure a friend or family member has your actual itinerary.

Greg Peters
Torrington, CT
(860) 307-7121
[email protected]
Covers all of Conn., most of southern
Mass., and most of N.Y.

is a shuttler listed at the appalachiantrail.org site. He may well be able to help you. It is a short enough hike that it may make sense to drop a car off at the northern end, drive a second car back to Hoyt Road, and start hiking...

buy aquamira to purify your water (I love it...), or take other advice which is in copious quantity on this website.

you should carry between 1 1/2 pounds and 2 pounds of food per person per day. you should not carry food for 8 days -- plan on stopping for a resupply about half way through... OR you could leave the car with supplies at the midpoint, resupply and move cars to finish the hike. Lighter is generally better, so you could even use the car-stepping approach for two resupplies as you head north. this also gives you a chance to dump extra things you brought, or pick up backup things in the car.

there is a camping goods store on the road into Kent -- can't miss it. they might be able to help solve the problems you uncover in the first couple of days...

I can't overemphasize the lighter is better thing. If you must have clean clothes, leave a change in the car... I would suggest that, for this time of the year, you should not be carrying any more than 30 pounds each, including food and water. 25 pounds would be even better... you could post your packing list and ask for advice.

CT is absolutely beatiful. Enjoy my home state!

THAT was an amazing answer. I feel so reassured knowing the exact address + contact information for this trip. Unfortunately, it will only be me driving so I think the shuttle approach is best. If following your advice, I believe the best idea is to park at your suggested location and begin our hike (assuming the trail starts nearby). When we are close to finishing, we can call the shuttle to schedule a pickup to drive us back to the southern end to leave. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What would I tell the Greg Peters to meet us (address)? Or will he know where I will finish, and I can simply say "the end of the trail"?

Manwich
06-02-2009, 13:59
If you say "End of Trail" he'll ask Springer or Katahdin.

Snowleopard
06-02-2009, 13:59
Equipping 3 people who have no gear can be expensive, or cheap. Try to borrow or rent the expensive stuff. Read this article: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15329

Campfires in CT http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50486&highlight=campfires

tleong
06-02-2009, 14:07
If you say "End of Trail" he'll ask Springer or Katahdin.

Which one would I answer with because I am unfamiliar with both.

Manwich
06-02-2009, 14:12
Oh boy. You are a noob.

Springer GA is the Southern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail. Which is in Georgia.

Katahdin is the Northern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail, which is in Maine.

You will have to tell him where to pick you up somewhere along the trail. If you're going southbound, it'll probably be hoyt road. If you're going northbound, it'll probably be Phelps Ave / Route 2 near the Hoosic River.

Get the maps. Get the guidebook. Read up. Then looks at other peoples gear lists on here and take note.

Blissful
06-02-2009, 14:22
Don't need the guidebook - just the maps and print out the section you are hiking from the ALDHA (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm)web site. And make sure you read the articles section here on WB before you go anywhere.

And prepare for bugs.

1azarus
06-02-2009, 16:15
There are plenty of road crossings, and if you tell your shuttler where to meet you, he or she shouldn't have a problem.

I suggest you make a tentative pick up DATE, but leave the actual end point open. That way, you can hike as far as you hike without feeling any pressure. The day before you finish you can finalize the pick up LOCATION. Most cell phones work just fine where you'll be. Keep your phone turned off most of the time to save on batteries... The on-line AT guide lists all the trail crossings...

Tin Man
06-02-2009, 16:54
I prefer getting the shuttle at the start of the trip and hiking to my car. Less coordination, unless you get off early, then you will need plan b in your back pocket.

1azarus
06-02-2009, 18:40
I prefer getting the shuttle at the start of the trip and hiking to my car. Less coordination, unless you get off early, then you will need plan b in your back pocket.

hey neighbor... that's cause you know what you're doing! for a first trip, there's something to be said for not having a fixed end point... Meriden, eh?

tleong
06-02-2009, 19:23
Thank you everyone for the great support. I have contacted a local hiking shop in Kent, CT that will shuttle us from our end point (hoyt field?) to our beginning location for $100. However, to confirm everything, I will need to give them my end location or end trail - at that point, they will recommend where I should park. So now that the shuttle service has been more or less scheduled and the equipment advice has been given, the only thing left is the trail? I was under the impression there was only one trail, but I guess there is more. When I order the guidebook, is that when I will decide which trail to take? From the AT website, I thought it was going to be 87 miles. Below is the link from where I got this information. If possible, this seems like the path I want to take. Any information will be great. Thank you in advance.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805429/k.3D26/Explore_the_Trail_Massachusetts.htm

1azarus
06-03-2009, 08:19
OK. So far, everything you've arranged seems to be to hike from the NY/CT border north through CT to the MA border -- or beyond. Kent, CT is solidly in that section. The link you posted is to the MA section, just to the north... No problem -- either section, or parts of both, would be just fine. Read through the on-line guide for both states -- available (free) here:
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

and look at a map of the AT available (free) here:
http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=at

It really doesn't make much difference which section you hike -- you could even start closer to home in new york, and hike into CT. You should have a wonderful time on relatively mellow terrain anywhere in NY CT or MA. Hey, NJ is even wonderful! You have a lot of great hiking available in your back yard. (Just stay out of PA! sort of joking...)

Alaskanhkr23
06-03-2009, 08:23
CT is a Fun hike.Don't over due the weight. The best thing to do is Buy a trail guide for CT. There is this one old guy that only and i mean only doese the Ct trail,Back and fourth: Watch out for him.

tleong
06-03-2009, 08:58
OK. So far, everything you've arranged seems to be to hike from the NY/CT border north through CT to the MA border -- or beyond. Kent, CT is solidly in that section. The link you posted is to the MA section, just to the north... No problem -- either section, or parts of both, would be just fine. Read through the on-line guide for both states -- available (free) here:
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

and look at a map of the AT available (free) here:
http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail=at

It really doesn't make much difference which section you hike -- you could even start closer to home in new york, and hike into CT. You should have a wonderful time on relatively mellow terrain anywhere in NY CT or MA. Hey, NJ is even wonderful! You have a lot of great hiking available in your back yard. (Just stay out of PA! sort of joking...)

Will the book guide give me all this information as well? Because I still have to pick my start/end points so I can let the shuttle service know. I assume after looking at the guide, I will have a better understanding of where I will exactly be. Is the guide full of maps?

Alaskanhkr23
06-03-2009, 09:05
Yes. Have fun in CT and don't light any fire's

Blissful
06-03-2009, 14:04
Maps are separate but come with the book in a package. Or you can get them separate. Look at the ATC store site. I didn't use guidebooks. They add to much weight.

Downloading the CT/ MA section from ALDHA that I mentioned in a previous post (and gave the URL for in post #15) can help answer a lot of your questions..........
Suggest you do that for starters to orientate yourself.

Disney
06-03-2009, 17:15
Which one would I answer with because I am unfamiliar with both.

I can't say that didn't make me laugh. And it also drove another comment, one that everyone else may have overlooked.

This site is called white blaze because the AT is marked with white blazes (rectangles) on the sides of trees/rocks etc... other trails are marked with other colors or markings. You don't have to worry about getting lost as long as you stay on the trail which is marked with the white blazes. You won't need maps (although I would recommend them for peace of mind on your first trip). If you leave your car on the AT and get dropped off on the AT, you won't end up at your car if you leave the AT to hike other trails. (this is not always the case, someone else can explain blue blazes if you're interested).

For simplicity, follow the white blazes. When the trail splits or crosses a meadow or road, do NOT simply keep walking straight because it seems right. Look for the white blazes and you won't get lost. Or To put it more accurately. You will be lost, you won't know exactly where you are, but you'll be fine with that and it'll all turn out ok in the end.

Good luck. But this kind of thing tends to get into the blood and create fanatics. There is no cure. You are forewarned.

tleong
06-03-2009, 22:05
I can't say that didn't make me laugh. And it also drove another comment, one that everyone else may have overlooked.

This site is called white blaze because the AT is marked with white blazes (rectangles) on the sides of trees/rocks etc... other trails are marked with other colors or markings. You don't have to worry about getting lost as long as you stay on the trail which is marked with the white blazes. You won't need maps (although I would recommend them for peace of mind on your first trip). If you leave your car on the AT and get dropped off on the AT, you won't end up at your car if you leave the AT to hike other trails. (this is not always the case, someone else can explain blue blazes if you're interested).

For simplicity, follow the white blazes. When the trail splits or crosses a meadow or road, do NOT simply keep walking straight because it seems right. Look for the white blazes and you won't get lost. Or To put it more accurately. You will be lost, you won't know exactly where you are, but you'll be fine with that and it'll all turn out ok in the end.

Good luck. But this kind of thing tends to get into the blood and create fanatics. There is no cure. You are forewarned.

WOW. the whole white blaze marking thing REALLY helped. how distant are each markings?

Feral Bill
06-03-2009, 23:12
Just to mention, you can take a train to Wingdale NY, a short way from the Ct border, and avoid all parking risk.

peakbagger
06-03-2009, 23:17
In most areas,that are not wildernesses (none is Mass or CT), if you go much more than 100 yards between blazes, you might want to stop and think about it. There are standards, but generally if the trailway is well defined and generally heading in one direction, you usually cannot see the next blaze from the previous blaze. If the trail is sharing space on a town road, the blazes may be very infrequent or quite discrete. Sometimes this can be tough, as its easy to walk past the point where you go off the road and back into the woods. Part of the reason is that some of the folks along the route dont appreciate whiteblazes on their mailboxes.! If in doubt turn around and look for a blaze in the opposite direction or go back to the last blaze you walked by and then make sure that the trail didnt veer away from where you were walking. 99 percent of the time, the trail is extremely obvious.

With the exception of one area of Vermont, the AT route is always white blazes and every intersecting trail is a different color. The blazes are fairly uniform rectangles and do not look like they were sprayed with paint can.

Two white blazes, one on top of each other generally means "watch out something is different ahead". The something different may be just a sharp turn, or possibly a trail junction. Some clubs offset the blazes so that the top blaze is offset horizontally, to the right or the left, this means the direction of travel will change significantly either to the right or the left. In built up areas with lots of local trails that merge and diverge with the AT, these directional double blazes can be quite handy. Dont count on them, but appreciate them when you find them.

Alaskanhkr23
06-04-2009, 00:48
Go to EMS and buy CT maps' If anyone ever tell's you (WHITEBLAZE MARKERS ARE EASILY SEEN) don't listen there not always easily seen and sometimes aren't even there. Always bring a Map and trail guide. Also get to know the little trick with the trail markers Like direction change and that sort of stuff.

Disney
06-04-2009, 11:25
Don't freak out about not being able to see the white blazes, they are not every ten feet. They're most useful if the trail is changing direction or comes to an intersection. Otherwise it's usually incredibly obvious what the trail is. Like peakbagger said, turn around and look behind you if you can't see one and are worried about it. They are marked both north bound and south bound, so you should come across one fairly quickly if you are really looking. If you look for more than ten minutes and you still can't find one anywhere, turn around. It's better to backtrack than to get lost. You may end up breaking and entering to avoid freezing to death in Georgia.

When you stop for a break, make a mental note of which direction you came in. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally sometimes people stop for lunch and end up going backwards when they start hiking again.

If you want to add some variety in your hike, I suggest you start a new question in the straight forward forum. "What is a blue blaze? Are there any nice ones where I'm going?"

wystiria
06-04-2009, 11:30
Nah campfires are allowed for the most part, especially by lean to's

Only in MA - no fires in CT

TerryC
06-04-2009, 19:33
If you're coming from NYC, I'd recommend the commuter train to Pawling, NY - leaves you right at the Trail, then you don't have to worry about a car. Then you can get a local bus or shuttle from wherever you end in MA to Albany and take a bus back to NYC from there. That's what we did last year and it worked great.

tleong
06-04-2009, 20:45
If you're coming from NYC, I'd recommend the commuter train to Pawling, NY - leaves you right at the Trail, then you don't have to worry about a car. Then you can get a local bus or shuttle from wherever you end in MA to Albany and take a bus back to NYC from there. That's what we did last year and it worked great.

How much did this all cost? Any specific information concerning this? ie: train station, bus number, etc. BTW. wouldn't it be rude to get on public transportation considering we wouldnt have showered for a week...?

Tin Man
06-04-2009, 20:52
How much did this all cost? Any specific information concerning this? ie: train station, bus number, etc. BTW. wouldn't it be rude to get on public transportation considering we wouldnt have showered for a week...?

Metro North Harlem line will take you to Pawling

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/index.html

www.greyhound.com (http://www.greyhound.com) will give you Greyhound info

traveling off peak will save you money and bus/train will have open seats off peak to give your odors some breathing room :)

Old Grouse
06-05-2009, 10:55
The trail is actually a couple of miles north of Pawling, up Route 22. Just walk north until you spot the AT train platform on your left.

Manwich
06-05-2009, 11:01
The trail is actually a couple of miles north of Pauling, up Route 22. Just walk north until you spot the AT train platform on your left.

Actually the AT traverses the Appalachian Trail train platform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail_%28Metro-North_station%29), which operates on Saturday, Sunday and holidays.

Manwich
06-05-2009, 11:02
Errr quoted the wrong person.

Old Grouse
06-05-2009, 11:58
Right, so if you go on a weekend or holiday, get off at the AT platform. Otherwise, go as far as Pawling and then travel north on Rte 22 to reach the AT.