PDA

View Full Version : Training for the AT

martini159
06-02-2009, 13:24
I plan on starting a quarter thru-hike from springer to marion,va (about 500 miles) in about two weeks and I was wondering if this sounded like good training (I've been at it for 4 days now, plan on doing every day)

15% grade on treadmill with 45 pounds at 2 mph (simulating uphills)
4:30 on, then 30 second break. repeat. Pretty much till I feel like I can't go on anymore (around an hour and a half)

Climbing on a stairmaster.

Was wondering if you guys had any tips/tweaks or just new training all together! Keep in mind, I'm in FL and theres pretty much no changing terrain, so I'm pretty limited to a (at least, well stocked) gym at the YMCA. Would you suggest any weight training like leg presses, etc? Is two weeks enough to make at least somewhat of a decent dent in training? I'm pretty fit and do a bit of hiking to begin with, but I'm kind of a tiny guy - 130 pounds 5'5". Hoping I won't make an *** out of myself on the trail by being super unprepared.

Thanks ahead of time for any tips or comments, even it its telling me I should change my routine entirely!

Take it easy,
Martin

Gray Blazer
06-02-2009, 13:27
Stadium stepping also works. You'll be fine. Don't injure yourself training. Don't try to make too many miles the first coupla days.

Manwich
06-02-2009, 13:30
Stairmaster. Eliptical. Inclined Treadmill with weight. Consume protein, tone out those Calves, Thighs.

High-Intensity leg presses may be too much. Maybe some High-Interval presses.

Do Plantar Fascia, Achillis Tendon stretches if you suspect you'll be vulnerable to such ailments, Also stretch your Calves, Thighs, Hamstrings.

CowHead
06-02-2009, 14:51
walk walk walk walk and walk if the store a mile a way walk, if your job less than 2 miles away walk, if the movie, bar, church girlfriend is within walking distance walk

flemdawg1
06-02-2009, 15:19
What about the non-church girlfriend? :-D

Engine
06-02-2009, 15:53
I had a girlfriend once who thought she should be worshiped. :rolleyes:

leeki pole
06-02-2009, 16:03
Try living with three girls; one wife and two daughters who all demand worshipfulness, and I'll get back to you right after I get the laundry done and the dishwasher emptied. LW, don't you even think about chiming in here, you know I'm right.

Deadeye
06-02-2009, 16:06
Since you have limited time, just don't overdo it, leave plenty of time for rest & recuperation, then hit the trail slowly. Do as much walking down as you can (leg extensions help with this, too).

MattBuck30
06-02-2009, 16:11
Walk everywhere you go or as much as possible. Try to put on some weight bc it will fly off.

MattBuck30
06-02-2009, 16:13
Also, make sure your boots are worn in!

Kerosene
06-02-2009, 16:18
Frankly, you'll be feeling the effects of walking much of the day with a weight on your back, regardless of your physical preparation. You just can't simulate the experience very well.

That said, a lot of lower body reps with low- to medium-weight is preferable to heavy weights. I'd only do the 15% incline once every 2-3 days, alternating with aerobic activity. Every other day for weight training is preferable to daily at your age (every fourth day at my age!) to give your muscles time to repair themselves.

As Deadeye said, don't start out too fast or hike too long. You don't want to cut your hike short because you pulled something. If you can get your pack weight to 15% of your body weight (20 pounds in your case), then you might be able to start out with 10-12 mile days to Hiawassee, where I'd take a zero. If you've got a heavier pack then drop the initial daily mileage accordingly, building up by perhaps a mile a day with a rest day at least once a week. You'll probably feel like you can walk farther, but don't kick up the miles a lot until week 3.

In addition to stretches, you might also add core and balance exercises.

Red Beard
06-02-2009, 17:01

Every woman I ever dated was like that. :p

garlic08
06-02-2009, 18:18
At home, you can step up and down on a chair with a gallon jug of water in each hand.

Mags
06-02-2009, 18:21
Read this article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425) while doing 16 oz curls...

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2008/05/imperial-pint-glass.jpg

mudhead
06-02-2009, 18:25
Try living with three girls; one wife and two daughters who all demand worshipfulness, and I'll get back to you right after I get the laundry done and the dishwasher emptied. LW, don't you even think about chiming in here, you know I'm right.

Prozac and a man-cave.

CowHead
06-03-2009, 06:47

Ouch! As my second son was born the nurse looks at my wife and me and said "Thank goodness you only have to worry about 2 penises and not all the rest"

Alaskanhkr23
06-03-2009, 07:15
Here some advice-Just Hike. Start slow and work your way up to crazy mileage. LOL Still don't understand the whole 25 to 30 mile a day thing,Whats the point.

modiyooch
06-03-2009, 08:07
I don't believe that there is any training other than doing it. With that being said, I am thankful that I have rock climbing training/experience. Not so much for the section that you are planning.

sixhusbands
06-03-2009, 08:13
I am impressed with the amount of weight you are working with..45lbs! The general rule of thumb is you should try to carry one fourth your body weight to be comfortable on the trail.. that gets you down to 33 lbs in your pack for your body weight. every extra pound you carry makes ahuge difference on your body , especially on the downs!

Try and train on some uneven ground or some rocks , but either way you will do just fine. good luck!

martini159
06-03-2009, 12:50
This is all so encouraging! (even the comments about women and beer, mostly the beer though) Yea I read the article about how you'll almost have to "stop" yourself at some points instead of pushing on to the next shelter, until your body hardens. Thanks for the great tips!

Take it easy,
Martin

bosborne
06-03-2009, 13:19
Martin, some weight training will reduce the soreness you're going to feel when you get going. Hiking, especially downhill, involves what's called "eccentric contraction" of the leg muscles. Basically, your muscles are taut but they also have to lengthen under tension. This micro-tears the muscles, which causes the soreness you feel hours or days after hiking. If you do more of this tearing and re-building of muscle before you hike then you'll experience less soreness on the hike. When you're doing the leg presses try to mimic the hiking feeling, slow extensions and slow contractions.

JAK
06-03-2009, 13:39
If the treadmill work gets boring feel free to change things up a bit. Sometimes wearing a heart-rate monitor keeps things interesting, and you can monitor your progress in lowering your heart-rate for the same amount of activity. Walk whenever you can, even if its not on hills. There are also some good exercises you can do at home every day, rather than having to go to the gym. For general conditioning I like higher reps, like 15-20, and I like to do them in a circuit, going from one to the next without much break.

Here is my simple circuit. I try and do at least one set each day:
The weights are rediculously low for many folks, but its a great everyday routine.
1. Bench Press 20x45# (or push ups)
2. Lat Pull Downs 20x60#
3. Vertical Press 20x45#
4. Horizontal Rowing 20x60#
5. Tricep Press 20x30#
6. Bicep Curls 20x45#
7. Hamstring Curls 20x60#
8. Squats 20x no extra weight
9. Good Mornings 20x no extra weight
10. Situps 21x (7x straight, to left, to right)

8,9,10 are the main ones for hiking, but they are all good for general conditioning. Some running and cycling every day is also very good, but nothing beats walking if you have the time. Always take the stairs, and don't take the car if you have the time to walk or run or bike. Its not time wasted. It's exercise. One more reason to feel good about it. ;)

Blissful
06-03-2009, 13:54
You're young. Even if you go off to do the trail a full-fledged couch potato, you'll do fine. Unlike some of us...

Gray Blazer
06-03-2009, 13:59
you're Young. Even If You Go Off To Do The Trail A Full-fledged Couch Potato, You'll Do Fine. Unlike Some Of Us...

Hey! hey!!

Rockhound
06-03-2009, 15:03
Don't over think it. Just get out there and hike. It's only walking.

Mags
06-03-2009, 15:04
You're young. Even if you go off to do the trail a full-fledged couch potato, you'll do fine. Unlike some of us...

I was a bit heavier than I am now when I did the AT (195 vs ~180, less muscle tone, endurance and cardio as well versus now). I was also 24 yo vs 35. I was not a complete couch potato, but a little more regular exercise would have helped me at the start.

Tell you what. I don't care what age you are..hiking a long trail is much easier, AND MORE FUN in the beginning if you are in shape.

I never understood this mentality of "you'll get in shape" on the trail.

True to a certain extent..but why be out of shape in the first place? Even if you "only" do 10-15 MPD, life is gonna be a lot more fun and less injury prone if you are even in a modicum of shape. A thru-hike is tough. People drop out at the start. Why not do something basic to help your initial start?

For your overall health (physically AND mentally) can anyway tell me why it makes sense to not exercise 3 times a week for 1/2 an hour? It's not a huge time commitment. Even this absolute min. of exercise will do wonders for your overall health. Quit watching 3 dumb sit-coms of your choice if you don't think you have the time. ;)

Long distance hiking is the only demanding physical activity I know where many people advocate being out of shape regularly. :)

Again, not advocating being ripped and an Olympic athlete, just some simple high intensity exercise for 1/2 hr @3 times a week. You'll enjoy the start of the hike more, you'll feel better before the hike, too.

futureatwalker
06-03-2009, 15:46
I plan on starting a quarter thru-hike from springer to marion,va (about 500 miles) in about two weeks and I was wondering if this sounded like good training (I've been at it for 4 days now, plan on doing every day)

Take it easy,
Martin

Treadmills, stairmasters, it all sounds complicated.

Why not put on your pack, put in some stuff (even some of the stuff you are likely to carry), open your front door and walk. See what shoes are the most comfortable. See which shorts feel the best.

I would be wary of hitting the trail tired. If you can get in some walking before you go, great, but 2 weeks isn't a lot of time for building fitness.

When you hit the trail do two things: 1) enjoy it; 2) take it easy.

Best of luck!

Kanati
06-03-2009, 16:50
church girlfriend is within walking distance

Cowhead see what you got started ? LOL

About the workout, #1, you're carrying too much weight for a guy your size. Start your workout with about 20 pounds. After 10 days, add another 5-7 pounds. At your peak condition you need to be about 5 pounds over your maximum trail pack weight with 5 days food and 50 ounces of water. Too much weight at first and you run the risk of tendon damage which could lay you up for a long time. It can hit you suddenly without warning.

#2. The stair climber is good for muscle condition but you need some twisting in your walk. So, walk the beach in the soft sand so that you are pushing off as your feet changes positions. Remember that on mountainous trails your feet are rarely planted flat like they are climbing stairs. You need to simulate this if possible to strengthen the muscles and tendons around the feet and ankles.

#3. Don't worry too much about conditioning. It's important but at your age you will get into condition very fast on the trail. The second day on the trail you will be sore. By the end of the third day it will be 75% gone and by the end of the fourth day it will be gone and you will be well on your way. By the end of the second week, you will be flying.

Happy hiking. :sun

Blissful
06-03-2009, 20:08
I have to exercise three time or more a week or I get awful leg cramps. And gain weight. and other stuff. It's the over 40's on up thing.

But my son at age 16 got off the couch and hiked the whole trail. That is what I meant.

flemdawg1
06-03-2009, 20:14
How do you get leg cramps from not exercising. I get it from exercising. (electrolyte depletion)

jesse
06-03-2009, 20:23
i would not train with weight. Increases your chances of injury.

Critterman
06-03-2009, 21:04
4:30 on, then 30 second break. repeat. Pretty much till I feel like I can't go on anymore (around an hour and a half)

You are 22, you will be fine. Don't go for an hour and a half, you are going to hurt yourself.

Panzer1
06-03-2009, 21:22
training is for people over 50.
at 22 you shouldn't need any training.
just go as you are.

from now until you start your hike just concentrate on making as much money as you can.

Pazer

davids
06-03-2009, 22:41
I just hiked from Springer to Fontana Dam. Dont bother trying to duplicate it on a treadmill. You cant! Just get out and do it and listen to what the people have said before. Do not try to go out and do ridiculous miles each day or you will be home in two weeks!

Jayboflavin04
06-03-2009, 22:51

Was her name stephanie mannweiler....I actually got married to her! I am divorced now....go figure!

take-a-knee
06-03-2009, 22:53
i would not train with weight. Increases your chances of injury.

Complete and total BS, totally bass-ackwards.

Mags
06-04-2009, 01:49
But my son at age 16 got off the couch and hiked the whole trail. That is what I meant.

Many people get off the couch and hike. Still does not make it a good idea. :)

training is for people over 50.
at 22 you shouldn't need any training.
just go as you are.

from now until you start your hike just concentrate on making as much money as you can.

Pazer

Bull hookey. We had people bitch and moan how its not fair that overweight boy scouts aren't allowed on High Adventure trips.

And now we have people saying that young people don't need training?

Again..what is wrong with regular exercise regardless of age ???

You don't need it to hike..you need it to be in good health. Period.

fredmugs
06-04-2009, 09:24
From a fitness standpoint you'll do fine. Here are some suggestions if you haven't done anything like this before.

1. Make Day 1 an easy day. It is very tempting to go out and do 20 or more miles the first day. Keep Day 1 to 15 miles or less.

2. Footwear is probably going to be your most important decision. You can walk around Florida and break in your footwear all you want but humping up and down those mountains with a full pack will place stresses on your feet that you haven't encountered yet. Make sure your socks and feet are dry. If your feet get hot and it feels like a blister is developing stop and take a long break. Change your socks. If you get a blister pop it with a small needle, drain it, and put moleskin over it.

stranger
06-04-2009, 22:28
Two weeks might knock the dust off, but be aware that it's not long enough to adopt the "strain and recover" aspect of training, so you are unlikely to build strength but more likely to get your body used to doing some work, which is good.

Any training is going to help, and 14 days of hard out training will help more than you might think, but because of the very short timeframe, watch that you do not injure yourself before your hike.

kayak karl
06-04-2009, 22:38
i spend my days stretching the truth, jumping to conclusions and running at the mouth.
works for me:D

Lone Wolf
06-04-2009, 22:43

Climbing on a stairmaster.

Was wondering if you guys had any tips/tweaks or just new training all together! Keep in mind, I'm in FL and theres pretty much no changing terrain, so I'm pretty limited to a (at least, well stocked) gym at the YMCA. Would you suggest any weight training like leg presses, etc? Is two weeks enough to make at least somewhat of a decent dent in training? I'm pretty fit and do a bit of hiking to begin with, but I'm kind of a tiny guy - 130 pounds 5'5". Hoping I won't make an *** out of myself on the trail by being super unprepared.

Thanks ahead of time for any tips or comments, even it its telling me I should change my routine entirely!

Take it easy,
Martin

it's just walkin'. no training needed.