PDA

View Full Version : how much food on the trail?

Jaenelle
06-02-2009, 14:44
Casper is currently on a “performance” type dog food. It’s Innova Evo, a grain free dog food with extremely high protein. http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?panel=na&id=1488 (http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?panel=na&id=1488)

For his weight, it recommends 1-1.5 cups of food per day “depending on age and activity level.” At home, I offer 1 cup per day (split into 2 equal meals) and most days, he eats the whole cup plus some freeze dried treats. On weekend hikes, I offer 1.25 cups in 3 meals plus liberal treats; but he doesn’t always eat that full amount.

In planning a long hike, should I plan on 1.5 cups per day? Or more than that?

I think I'm going to have to arrange mail drops for those 3 weeks specifically for dog food. :-?

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 15:31
Wow I am too lucky lol. Spike eats as much as he likes when he likes lol. I fill his bowl when it is empty and he eats what he needs lol. Now if I could just get him to eat in the kitchen, he carries his food into the living room in mouthfulls, then drops them in the living room to eat piece by piece. It doesn't what it is either, I spoil him rotten, he carries all food into the living room, from dog food to steak.
BTW I am a believer in having more than enough when it comes to food, I would carry at least 2 cups per day, and then when you get to the first area you can resupply, you can figure out how much the little guy will really need

Jaenelle
06-02-2009, 17:27
I've had dogs that would do that. Unfortunately, Casper isn't one of them. He's a rescue. When I first got him, he would eat himself sick...and then go back for more.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 18:06
I think most dogs will, I don't know why Spike is so weird. You wanna hear weird he is afraid of all small animals, baby birds, toads, turtles, frogs, but if it is his size or bigger no fear. Go figure. Sometimes though he just ignore the smaller critters like snakes

Phreak
06-02-2009, 18:40
In planning a long hike, should I plan on 1.5 cups per day? Or more than that?

My dogs also eat Innova Evo. I always double their normal daily amount of food for their hiking trips. And I also pack plenty of treats for them throughout the day.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-02-2009, 18:54
I have a disgusting question for both of you. When a dog eats food too rich in protein they poop it out then eat their own poop. With Innova being so rich in protein do you guys have a problem with poop eating?

Wise Old Owl
06-02-2009, 20:30
I've had dogs that would do that. Unfortunately, Casper isn't one of them. He's a rescue. When I first got him, he would eat himself sick...and then go back for more.

That happened to me, Rescues are secretly fed for weeks the bear minimum for keeping them alive. When we brought him home he gained 5 pounds the first month. You need to see the rib cage and the hocks above the back and adjust the food. We are down to a cup and a half dry / can mixed split into two meals a day.

Wise Old Owl
06-02-2009, 20:33
I have a disgusting question for both of you. When a dog eats food too rich in protein they poop it out then eat their own poop. With Innova being so rich in protein do you guys have a problem with poop eating?

It sounds like a rescue that spent time in the street for months, I have a similar dog at the moment,, requires some breaking of habits. (training)

Phreak
06-02-2009, 20:54
Fortunately, I've not had this issue with Maggie & Suzi. Tho it is fairly common amongst dogs.

Jaenelle
06-03-2009, 06:52

I believe it's a fairly common problem but it's not one I am dealing with. From the time I brought Casper home, he was taught that he had to eliminate in my designated spot before he was allowed to play, go for a walk, or roam the yard. Over time, this has created a "potty break" cue. So he doesn't have unattended time to eat poop. I scoop before he gets the chance.

JAK
06-03-2009, 07:22
I'm not a dog owner yet (working on it) but I heard that wolfs eat poop and dogs that are more 'wolf-like' whatever that means, are more likely to eat poop. The only thing that really bothers me about it is that I like dog kisses.

Aubbies
06-07-2009, 13:16
My rescue used to eat poop frequently when I got him. Found out he had worms pretty bad on the first vet visit and after being treated he has never eaten poop again. Dogs usually eat poop when they are not getting enough nutrients.

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 18:14
casper eh? jaenelle eh? dunncannon you say eh? small rescue dog eh? joined may 27th eh? 9 posts eh? age 26 eh? yeah right. try a cup and three quarters.