PDA

View Full Version : Tentsites at Crampton Gap Shelter

K_Squared
06-02-2009, 17:39
Are there any places to tent near the shelter? We thought this would be a good place for us to stop for the night (about 10 miles from HF right?) but we would like to stay in our tent. I just want to make sure before we head out there!

Thanks! :)

Downhill Trucker
06-03-2009, 06:59
Plenty of tent sites before the shelter. Maybe not the most level ground, but they are good sites. Water at the spring beyond (10 yds) the shelter is seasonal. There is a frost free tap at the state park in front of the restrooms. There is a trail from the shelter to the park, but I always use the AT. You will hear strange animal sounds from the farm below the shelter.

There is also the Treehouse Camp right around there and it is accesible from the AT. Ive never stayed there personally but it mght be an option.

mikec
06-03-2009, 08:20
The tent sites around Crampton Gap shelter are ok but more suited to hammocks as it is on a hill.

I've stayed at the tree houses a Maple Tree Campground just below Crampton Gap. It's a neat place. Some tree houses are just screened porches that surround a tree, while some are shacks on stilts with wood stoves. They have conventional camp sites as well.

K_Squared
06-03-2009, 09:58
Thanks for the input! Strange animals noises?

Toot
06-03-2009, 13:39
Crampton Gap has some great sites along the blueblaze trail leading down to the shelter. A few summers ago an Eagle scout candidate built some retained earth tent platforms. They are very nice...and level!

convbcuda
05-28-2018, 12:27
Resurrecting an old thread. Can anyone tell me about how the Maple Tree Campground connects to the AT? Our troop is looking at some possible activities and camping there and hiking to the AT is a possibility.

Is there a direct trail or do you have to go along the road? How far?

Thanks!

Slo-go'en
05-28-2018, 18:10
Resurrecting an old thread. Can anyone tell me about how the Maple Tree Campground connects to the AT? Our troop is looking at some possible activities and camping there and hiking to the AT is a possibility.

Is there a direct trail or do you have to go along the road? How far?

Thanks!

They claim they are a 10 minute walk from the AT. No indication if that is via the road or a blue blaze trail. There is no mention of a trail in AWOL. It may still exist if so, is probably all of 1/2 mile.

convbcuda
05-28-2018, 20:47
The campground responded to a message I sent them saying it's a half mile along the road. Thanks!