PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Thru-Hike Registry

Pages : [1] 2 3

mountain squid
06-02-2009, 19:37
Between this thread and the other 2010 thread I will start working on the spreadsheet.

Trail Name
Direction
Estimated Start Date
Approach Trail - yes or no
any additional info that you want the world to knowhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/talk.gif

If anything changes, please update via a reply to this thread.

Good Luck everyone!!! This time next year you will be on the trail...

See you on the trail (next year),
mt squid

appalachianjosh
06-03-2009, 04:26
Name: Appalachian Josh
Trail Name: (none yet :))
Northbound
Estimated Start Date: Mid-May
Approach Trail - Yes
Additional Info: I'll be documenting my adventures on www.appalachianjosh.blogspot.com and looking forward to the adventure every day!

Maddog
06-03-2009, 04:43
maddog-nobo-march 1, 2010-yes

Lillianp
06-03-2009, 11:19
You probably already have this from the other thread, but I thought I'd put it here too
Name: Emily
Trail Name: (None, as of yet)
Northbound
Estimated Start Date: First week of March
Approach Trail: Probably

llano
06-03-2009, 12:40
Trailname: Llano
nobo
estimated start date: mid march
approach trail - why?

coheterojo
06-03-2009, 19:15
David Lowe
El Flaco
NOBO
April 21st
Approach Trail - Why not?

Tuney
06-03-2009, 19:29
I'm currently working 3 plans NOBO, SOBO, and Cool Breeze (3 sections from ATC web site). Evaluating Pro's, Con's, and costs for each. Currently leaning towards SOBO.

Pathfinder
06-05-2009, 18:54
Trail Name - Pathfinder
Direction - Northbound
Estimated Start Date - May 31st
Approach Trail - yep

Mishap
06-06-2009, 16:34
Mishap
NOBO
Late March early April
Those steps are calling my name!

laherb
06-06-2009, 17:32
Name: Abe
Trail name: waiting for it
Direction: northbound
Start date: mid march
Approach Trail: might as well

TwistedToad
06-06-2009, 19:48
trail name Twisted Toad or just Toad 4 short
direction - GaMe
start date - around 3rd week of Feb.
approach trail - maybe maybe not. lol

Tatertot
06-10-2009, 11:54
Trail Name Crispy Cracker
YO-YO hike start FEB 2010 Going north first then back south
umm what else did you want to know? oh yeah approach trail no.
we need a forum for Yo-Yo hikers. if any one has stories on Yo-Yo drop me a line. I have a rather unique method Im planning on trying. I will carry all i need except food and other incidentials no drop boxes or bounce boxes nothing mailed home nothing sent back. Have a north face zero degree elkhorn and 11 degree liner. thus my summer winter and fall bags all in one. I know the ratings on these things suck I hate sleeping cold so that should do the trick!! my total pack weight minus food will be about 25-30 pounds. I use older model backpacks because I think some of the ultralight stuff is good,but you have to balance durability and weight and those ultralights might be tough but one rock and your done. I use and Acryteryx Bora 75 discontinued but comparable to mountiansmith which used to make some awesome bags but they suck now compared to what they used to make!! and if your not using a soda can stove i would reccomend the MSR whisperlite these stoves have a sturdy base high heat and can take a beating! Im only carrying two pairs of pants should get at least 6 mos of life out of one. and about 8 pairs of socks, two base layer tees one fleece mid, an outer jacket and a hard shell outer no down or none of that stuff, poly pro top and bottom to sleep in. the less you sleep in the warmer you will be when you wake up and get dressed. ok springer fever is killing me ughh somebody invent a time machine quick!! [email protected]

Corrigan
06-10-2009, 12:24
Mike
March 1-10ish
Ga-Me
Maybe.....maybe not....

Springer fever is killing me too!! Can't wait for 2010!!!

ShelterLeopard
06-10-2009, 22:21
Trail Name: Blueberry (formely known as traceless)
Direction: NoBo
Estimated Start Date : early March
Approach Trail - yes or no. Why not? Might as well, how else to you get up there?

Anyone from New Jersey or PA want to ride down to Georgia together?

ShelterLeopard
06-10-2009, 22:25
Trail Name - Pathfinder
Direction - Northbound
Estimated Start Date - May 31st
Approach Trail - yep

You must be planning to book it then- don't forget, that last day you can go up Katadin is Oct 15, and it is often closed for weather reasons.

El Toro '94
06-11-2009, 20:56
Name: El Toro
Direction: Northbound (yo-yo from DWG)
Est. start: Whwnever I get to Springer, hopefully sometime in spring of 2010.
Approach trail: Hated it the first time, so not no, but HELL NO!!!
Hope to see everybody out there.

kayak karl
06-11-2009, 21:15
2010 already, amazing how time flies.:)

Brian (aka Skippy)
06-12-2009, 13:01
Skippy (for now)
North
March
Yes, I'll probably be a purist

15% chance...pfft...Katahdin, here...I...come!

Petr
06-13-2009, 13:08
No trail name yet
NOBO
January 29th
Approach trail: Yes

Finish my last rotation at school on the 27th, take a one-way flight to Atlanta to take a practical standardized exam the 28th, find a ride to Springer the 29th, hopefully climb Katahdin by early June, and then fly home and start working July 1. Been thinking about this every day for 9 months.

Aaluff
06-14-2009, 00:50
Trail Name: Aaluff
Direction: Southbound
Est Start Date: Mid June 2010
First time on the AT.

World-Wide
06-14-2009, 01:26
[quote=mountain squid;847549]Between this thread and the other 2010 thread I will start working on the spreadsheet.

Trail Name
Direction
Estimated Start Date
any additional info that you want the world to knowhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/talk.gif

If anything changes, please update via a reply to this thread.

Good Luck everyone!!! This time next year you will be on the trail...

See you on the trail (next year),

Trail Name: World-Wide
Direction: NOBO
Estimated Start Date: March 1, 2010
Approach Trail - No, but I intend to register at Amicaloa Falls and check into a cabin early in the day! While at Amicaloa Falls the day before I head-out, I want to just walk the area a bit, soak in the sounds/smells and get my "Yin and Yang" in check! I've run many scenarios in my mind what the night before is going to be like. The scenarios always point to very little sleep and a dose of anxiety!! Looking forward to the challenge though!! :D

downes911
06-14-2009, 08:59
Mary
no trail name yet (newbie)
NoBo
either 3/1 or 3/8
not sure on approach trail, going back and forth on that
very excited and scared at the same time, can't wait.

Tuney
06-14-2009, 11:28
Trail Name: Aaluff
First time on the AT.

We should stay in touch. I'm still toying with doing a SOBO rather than a Flip Flop.

theref
06-16-2009, 00:00
Trail Name Johnny or The JC(well i respond to almost everything)
Direction NOBO(New to the sight and saw this and SOBO everywhere and i was like wth is that)
Estimated Start Date Between FEB 15-20
Approach Trail - yes
Ill be a first time AT hiker and first time on any portion of the AT ever. I love hiking and this will be a dream come true. Also just out of the submarine service and doing this just before college. If i seem weird ill blame the underwater time.

ShelterLeopard
06-17-2009, 00:35
Trail Name: Shelter Leopard (fka Traceless)
Approach Trail: I don't see why not
Any additional info that you want the world to know: I'm probably getting down to Georgia by train, but if anyone from New Jersey or PA is driving down, let me know- I'll help pay for gas!

ShelterLeopard
06-17-2009, 00:40
Traceless is no longer my trail name- I'm ShelterLeopard now (the post above me), and have changed accounts. So I'm still NoBo 2010, just under the name Shelter Leopard instead.

attroll
06-18-2009, 18:39
Trail Name= Troll
Direction = NOBO
Estimated Start Date= March
Approach Trail = No
Trail Journal = www.trailjournals.com/attroll (http://www.trailjournals.com/attroll)

Speakeasy
06-20-2009, 21:22
Trail Name: Speakeasy
Start Date: 3 Mar 2010
Approach Trail: Absolutely

ShelterLeopard
06-20-2009, 22:57
Trail Name: Shelter Leopard (fka Traceless)
Approach Trail: I don't see why not
Any additional info that you want the world to know: I'm probably getting down to Georgia by train, but if anyone from New Jersey or PA is driving down, let me know- I'll help pay for gas!

Edit: I'll be starting February 23/25

(And I no longer need a ride- Amtrak!)

Red Beard
06-22-2009, 09:11
Trail Name: Red Beard
Estimated Start Date: Late February or Early March
Approach Trail: Undecided

degail45
06-25-2009, 06:10
Name: Cookie
Trail name: springer Ga
Start date: mid march
Approach Trail: with a smile

JustinNorris
06-26-2009, 13:58
Trail Name - Justin
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - March 1
Approach Trail - Unsure

Fueled
06-27-2009, 11:58
Fueled here, NOBO...forget about all those stairs. I plan on leaving about mid March, however i'm soon to be retired from the army(thank god) and springer feaver has got a killer grip in me.

GeneralLee10
06-29-2009, 08:46
Why do you register what for? Is a must do thing? Or is it just so there is a count on the people that do a Thru.

I will be on the trail no later than April 1st
NOBO that is permiting nothing goes wrong.

SurferNerd
06-30-2009, 00:05
And 2010 Northbound will be my year. No holding back, no bills, no payments, no lack of funds, gear, bla bla. I have all gear, funds, no bills. I WILL be going 2010 NoBo

Pages
07-03-2009, 10:39
Trail Name: TV
Estimated Start Date: mid March
Approach Trail - yes or no: not sure

Hiking solo but wouldn't mind partnering up with one or two people who want to start out fairly slow (8-10 miles first few days.)

also planning on shooting the trip for a documentary.

attroll
07-03-2009, 10:53

Hiking solo but wouldn't mind partnering up with one or two people who want to start out fairly slow (8-10 miles first few days.)

That is my plan to do 8-10 mile days for the first week or two so that my body works into the groove.

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2009, 11:39

This is pretty close to my plan too- I'm starting late february so I can take the first couple weeks slow and easy and get back into the hiking groove- I'm also looking to hike with a partner or two for the first couple weeks, just to get me going. (Who knows? Maybe I'll really end up liking hiking with a partner- I've only ever hiked solo or in groups of 8-10 before)

AggieAl
07-04-2009, 17:08
Aggie Al (might change on the trail)
NOBO
February 16
No on approach trail (at my age every mile counts!)

Leo the True
07-04-2009, 17:26
Coyote Face
NOBO Springer
Feb. 1st
Approach Tail? Hope So
I've got spring fever and I'm a climber. Any others?

cyclendo
07-05-2009, 20:10
Cyclendo
NOBO
Early to Mid May
We'll see...

Other:Me plus 2. Post college grad adventures.

stranger
07-06-2009, 00:23
Hey good people, I'll be out again next year. Gonna probably head north from Springer in late April and hike up to Harpers Ferry before going out to Denver to hike the Colorado Trail. See you out there!

If not, I'll be somewhere in New Zealand or Australia causing trouble.

JessieRvnsmk
07-06-2009, 08:21
Trail name: Jessie Ravensmoke
Start date: April 4th 2010
Approach Trail? Probably.
Additional info: First-timer :D

Sweat Pea
07-09-2009, 01:36
Greetings,

Just found this website today...... Contemplating my first AT adventure. Planning to NOBO on or around April 8th. Signing up for this site constitutes my beginning of my planning stage.. Im a newbie; so Looking to converse, learn and plan with other 2010'ers.

Please stop by and say hello.... Looking forward to a great adventure!

Regards,

Sweet Pea

Tuna
07-12-2009, 20:51
Trail name: Tuna
Start Date: 9th March 2010
Additional Info: Hoping to make it a lot further this time. Have thought about the trail everyday since I left it, cannot wait to get back out there and looking forward to meeting everyone.

JonnyWalker
07-13-2009, 16:09
Trail Name-Jonny Walker
Direction-NOBO
Estimated Start Date- March
Approach Trail - Not Sure

The Impersonator
07-16-2009, 12:56
Mad Dog- Were you on the trail a couple years ago, starting around April 10'th ish, in Georgia?

jjhikes
07-17-2009, 12:48
Trail Name - none yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - late March/early April
Approach Trail - yes

totally geeked for this adventure :)

Maclak
07-17-2009, 15:02
Name: none yet!
Dir: nobo
Est Start Date: April 1, 2010
Info: My fiance and I will be moving (back) from Seattle to the tri-state area.. driving cross-country in late feb, getting married mid march, and hitting the trail to do our thru-hike (the honeymoon I guess!) around april 1.
It's going to be a whirlwind!
Can't wait to see everyone on the trail! :D

HDMama
07-18-2009, 23:51
Trail Name - Searcher
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - Early March
Approach Trail - yes

I plan to complete this hike as a fundraiser for the Air Force Enlisted Villiage (www.afenlistedwidows.org (http://www.afenlistedwidows.org)) with a goal of 1,000 people sponsoring me a penny per mile.

SawnieRobertson
07-19-2009, 20:44
Trailname: Kinnickinic
Direction: Basically NOBO, but I may meet myself coming and going at times
Start date: I like mid-March, but it mostly depends on what the weather is doing.
Approach trail: Surely don't think so, but who knows.

I've put off saying publicly what I'm up to, but now my knee seems to have recovered rather well from its surgery, and it's still got about eight more months to get even better. I'm working hard to get ready physically, and the fiscal part seems to be falling into place. Yep! It's time.--Kinnickinic

stinkoman
07-19-2009, 21:54
Trail Name - Stinkoman
Direction - SOBO
Estimated Start Date - June 15thish
Approach Trail - Unfamiliar.

Hiki

keidallmer
07-19-2009, 21:57
Trail Name - Little One
Direction - SOBO
Estimated Start Date - June 15th
Approach Trail - Prolly.

Hiking with Stinkoman! :D

alphawolfe
07-19-2009, 22:25
Trail Name - None Yet
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - Mid March
Approach Trail - Yep

Philip
07-19-2009, 23:45
Trail Name: N/A
Direction: SOBO
Estimated Start Date: Mid-July or Mid-August depending on final class scheduling
Approach Trail - yes or no: N/A
any additional info that you want the world to know:

I had a co-worker years ago named Brandon Joyner from Texas that abruptly quit one day and said he was going to go hike the Appalachian Trail. I never saw him again and always wondered if he really did it or not. At any rate, I too have been bitten by the bug and plan to follow in his footsteps (though I gave my employer a year advanced notice of my intentions). I will be finishing the second of two masters degrees back to back, so I think they know I'm not going to stick around and work for what they pay me now anyway.

At any rate, when I finished my MBA last year it was at the height of our economic uncertainty and the shock of it all prompted me to just stay in school and keep my safe little job and just keep going. Time will tell if I used my time wisely. At any rate, I am hoping to find the dream job I worked so hard through school to get when I finish my thru-hike, but assume many employers won't be doing a lot of hiring through the holiday season. This means I'll be able to take my time and will most likely make it to GA about the time some of the early-bird NOBOs are starting out. Either that or I'll get to GA before December and will just keep going and hike the Florida trail too. Who knows? I doubt I'll ever get this much time off in one span again, so I plan to make it count.

PhastEnough
07-21-2009, 15:46
Trail Name - Phast Enough or Phasty
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - mid march-early april
Approach Trail - havn't decided yet.
add'l info: new to the thru-AT

im gonna most likely quit my job and move most of the stuff to my parents house and then take a bus down

Tuney
07-22-2009, 21:49
I'm currently planning to hike home, SOBO, starting on or about June 14, 2010. After all my research, considering NOBO, Flip Flop, and SOBO, my original concept from many years ago is winning out.

I've hiked most of GA in the past, and plan to complete GA during my training hikes this year. I should finish by Mid November.

sarahgirl
07-23-2009, 14:22
trailname: dont have one yet
start date: mid-march
direction: NOBO
approach trail: most likely
additional info: sectioned harpers ferry, WV to bear mountain, NY in 01...looking forward to PA again:eek: and the dirty doyle:D...God I can't wait for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nefis
07-25-2009, 00:09
Trail name: Nefis
Start date: Mid-March
Approach Trail? YES
Additional info: First-timer, I haven't done any serious backpacking since college. I'm starting to get back into the swing of things, gearing up & getting my pack weight down.

swivel
07-30-2009, 15:53
Trail Name: Swivel
Estimated Start Date: March 10
Approach Trail: no
Additional Info: So many maps and books...any recommendations?

sparky2000
07-30-2009, 19:08
sparky2000
NOBO
20Mar10
approach - maby - depends if I have a ride up.
I'll have less then 20 lbs. Refuel from grocery to grocery store. Have small tent and will use most of the time. Will have a good time.

Cedar Tree
07-30-2009, 19:45
Cedar Tree
NOBO
Feb. 13th
Approach Trail: No, I've done it before.
Additional info: I plan to start on the 10 year anniversary of my 1st thruhike.

BigPaw
08-01-2009, 00:51
Trail Name BigPaw
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date Early March
Approach Trail - IDK yet
if anyone is looking for a partner email me at [email protected] I am excited for the spring to come around

imgijoe
08-02-2009, 20:57
Names: Joe and San (no Trail Names yet)

Start Date: 1 March (maybe a few days earlier).

Approach Trail - Yes

Other: We are a late 40's married couple. Retired Army. Looking forward to first time thru-hike in 2010. We are originally from South Jersey, currently from Houston, TX but will be moving to Lakeland, FL later this year. We will be doing most of our prep from there maybe even going up to Amicalola Park. Still researching and planning, gathering equipment, and doing some walking. There are just not suffiicient hiking trails in South Texas. Walking on asphalt walking paths with no trees in 100+ degree weather just plain sucks. Will get some better overnight pre-hikes in this winter.

Just Lisa
08-05-2009, 08:38
Trail Name: Just Lisa
Estimated Start Date : March 25th
Approach Trail - no
Additional: Hiking with Squinty

Squinty
08-05-2009, 12:03
Trailname: Squinty
Direction : NOBO
Estimated start date: March 25th
Approach Trail: No
Other: Hiking with Just Lisa

J.L.M.Webb
08-09-2009, 20:15
Trail Name: None yet :p
Direction: SoBo - Maine to Georgia :)
Estimated Start Date: Mid June
Approach Trail: Sure
Additional Info: Hiked before but nothing this big. Could do with a partner for the trail. Contact me if interested! Email address: [email protected]

Jeff
08-10-2009, 06:27
Cedar Tree
NOBO
Feb. 13th
Approach Trail: No, I've done it before.
Additional info: I plan to start on the 10 year anniversary of my 1st thruhike.

Are you posting a journal? It would be interesting to read how much the trail and trail culture has changed over 10 years.

Cedar Tree
08-10-2009, 07:23
Are you posting a journal? It would be interesting to read how much the trail and trail culture has changed over 10 years.

I will definitely be journaling,but I had not considered posting it online. Maybe I will. If I do, I will let you know. Thanks for the interest.
CT

glessed
08-10-2009, 19:47
Trail Name: None yet
Direction: NOBO then Flip flop at Harper's Ferry
Estimated Start Date: End of March
Approach Trail - yes or no: ??
Any additional info that you want the world to know:

Has been a goal now for about 4 years. Currently on my third pass through my gear trying to reduce weight. Just bought a lighter tent and a new sleeping bag. I think I am in the final stages of planning my gear now. Soon I have to start planning my meals.

I plan to start out slow (low mileage days) and work up to a reasonable pace. I want to enjoy the trip, not win a marathon.

I would love to have a hiking partner to start out with.

takethisbread
08-13-2009, 12:36
Dave Degregorio
Takethisbread
NOBO
Departing anytime between feb. 1 and feb 14.

Hiking for hunger. Working to raise money for charities. Looking for others to join in and seek sponsorship.

Been working out every day and the hike has consumed my mind.

expat2005
08-14-2009, 20:16
Wanted: 2010 AT NOBO thru hike 3 person team. Leave Springer Mt between 4/1 - 15. Contact [email protected].

ShelterLeopard
08-14-2009, 22:47
Expat- I suggest you start a thread for this- you'll probably get more replies. Either under the forum heading of "class of 2010", or "hooking up".

theb1440
08-15-2009, 04:20
Special Ops
NOBO
mid march
yes

singlemalt
08-17-2009, 19:04
Name: Single Malt (Scotch)
Direction: North
Starting: April 1ish
Approach Trail: Sure... why not?

Grden
08-19-2009, 02:54
Grden
NOBO
Around Mid May
Maybe
Hiking most likely until mass where I live but if time permits, ill keep going. Hiking with 2 of my buddys.

xvleger
08-19-2009, 22:21
Trail Name: ?
Direction: Northbound
Start Date: mid March 2010
Approach trail: maybe

This will be my first long distance trail, even if I am used to hike in the Alpes, in France. It is not easy to prepare this trail from France!

JoshStover
08-20-2009, 05:46
Trail Name - None as of now
Direction - GA>ME
Estimated Start Date - late February
Approach Trail - yes

Diamond Diggs
08-20-2009, 23:56
WOO HOO!

Trail Name: Diamond Diggs
Start: March 2010
Approach: ?

Cannot believe this dream is actually turning to reality! hahehe.... I feel all gitty inside just thinkin bout it! WOO HOO!

johnniewalker
08-23-2009, 02:30
Trail Name: none yet
Direction: southbound
Estimated Start Date: June 1st at the very latest, but preferably earlier.
Approach Trail: yes

I live in Maine and am hiking this summer and fall as a sort of warm up. I'm hoping to go as ultralight as possible, and already invested in lightweight tent, sleeping bag, and trekking poles. I've hiked Katahdin twice and am planning to go again next month. I'll probably do the AT thruhike solo for the most part, although a partner or group for company during the 100-Mile Wilderness would be greatly appreciated. I tend to hike at a pretty swift pace, though I do love to stop and smell the pine trees.

SawnieRobertson
08-23-2009, 09:36
Trail Name: Kinnickinic
Start Date: March 18, 2010
Direction (plan): Probably Cool Breeze with a few tweaks
Approach Trail: Naw

My start date has been firmed up. I'll drive down on to Amicalola Falls State Park on the 17th, dropping "mail" drops along the way, then spending the night luxuriating at the Lodge after parking my car for the long term at the parking lot across from the vistors' center. Shower, eat breakfast, and catch a shuttle to Stamp Gap the morning of March18. Then off! (Hopefully blessed with nice weather.)

The Cool Breeze with tweaks is the plan, but all is on a "we'll see" basis until it happens. The tweaks are (1) hiking NOBO until Earth Day, when I'll begin a drive or flight to probably Williamstown, Massachusetts, (2) then hike SOBO until about the last week of June, (3) drive/fly to Willamstown again and begin NOBO to Katahdin. After Katahdin, return to where I left the trail before second visit to Williamstown and begin trek SOBO back to where I was on Earth Day.

Why all this? To stay within a decent temperature range most of the time and to avoid the vectors as much as possible. Yeah, and to probably meet all of you somewhere along the way.--Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
08-23-2009, 09:42
Hey, speaking of meeting "all of you," it would be good for as many as can to meet at The Gathering at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, October 9-12 this fall. If you aren't a member of ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association) already, go to the website, look up this year's Gathering, and realize what benefits are there for each of us, to say nothing of the camaraderie.--Kinnickinic

JoshStover
08-23-2009, 20:50
Hey, speaking of meeting "all of you," it would be good for as many as can to meet at The Gathering at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, October 9-12 this fall. If you aren't a member of ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association) already, go to the website, look up this year's Gathering, and realize what benefits are there for each of us, to say nothing of the camaraderie.--Kinnickinic

I will be there for sure. I can't wait! I am bringing my fiance with me also. She is wanting to she what the people I will be spending 6 months of my life with. We should start a Thread of everyone that is planning to attend the Gathering. I think I will if one isn't already out there.

mrhughes1982
08-24-2009, 10:31
Name: Just Mitch for now till someone gives me something better
Direction NoBo
Est. Start: Mid Feb-Mar
Approach Trail: Yeah, no need to get lazy from the get go

My dream didn't go through several years ago but this time nothings stopping me.

muddy2010
08-26-2009, 00:31
Trai Name: Muddy
NOBO
March 1, 2010
Approach Trail: NO

schraderdc
08-28-2009, 21:59
Trail Name: Waiting for one to be assigned
est start date: March 21, 2010

I am SUCH a noob I don't even know what "approach trail" means

rebel460
08-29-2009, 09:03
Trail Name: Thinking it should be Unknown Soldier
Direction: Yet to be determined based on when I can make myself available. May be a later start forcing a SOBO

The rest of the details are still open. I'm in the early stages of trying to make this life-long dream happen.

rjridgely
08-30-2009, 10:30
Trail Name: ______________

Start: Sometime between Jan 15th & Feb. 1st

Approach: Undecided, although certainly not a priority

Thoughts: Starting early to run into the cold and snow (with luck) & avoid the masses for awhile (with luck). I have no timetable and will be in no hurry. If you pass me...oh well... I'll see y'all when I get there.

seabrookhiker
08-30-2009, 11:30
Trail Name - Mrs Joy
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - April 1
Approach Trail - maybe
any additional info that you want the world to know - Mrs Joy is my third trail name. Every time I do a long section hike I seem to take on a new one. So I don't know if it'll stick on my thru.

Also, if things don't happen in the right order at work my hike may get pushed to 2011.

jeremy 931
08-30-2009, 16:56
TRAIL NAME: Fruitbooter
START: march 1st 2010
NORTHBOUND
APROACH TRAIL: hell no. its not part of the trail (even though it used to be) and if youve ever done it youll know why i have made this decision.

I attemped the AT this past year and made it to Erwin TN where i ran out of money. I knew i would, but i wanted to get out there anyways.

i cant wait to get back out there!!

TrekkerBird
08-31-2009, 00:23
TRAIL NAME: Currently: Bird (specifically Hummingbird, but that's kind of long and I like to keep things simple...So maybe my real trail name is just that: Simple. Yeah...I'm SimpleBird. I'm open to both evolving and being re-created. Very easy to get along with.

START: Mid/late March...sometime after the 19th.

NOBO

APPROACH TRAIL: Simply NO!

TrekkerBird
08-31-2009, 00:36
I am also interested in finding a hiking buddy to start the trail with...email [email protected]

Fish out of Water
09-03-2009, 22:47
Trail Name: Don't have one yet.
Estimated Start date: On the AT by March 15 :banana
Approach Trail: Probably
Add'l Info: I've done a lot of traveling, diving, and photography along with random dayhikes all over the world but nothing like this. General n00b to hiking, but I love the challenge and can't wait for it to be March!

expat2005
09-03-2009, 23:59
:welcomeEmail [email protected] if interested in NOBO AT thru hike starting early 04/10. Would like to develop a 3-4 man team - close to my age (61 by the time we hit the trail :)

kcol27
09-04-2009, 05:12
No trail name yet
NOBO
Mid-March
Approach trail: probably

Been on small sections in MA and NH, and have been thinking about this since I've been a kid so roll on springtime!

triguy
09-04-2009, 11:07
nobo AT
est. start date: mid-May '10
need to do this during summer break!

tndrfoot
09-04-2009, 23:11
trail name: tenderfoot
start date:end of feb nobo
approach trail:no
more info:love to do a thru hike but cant take the time off
so i will take 2 weeks off work and try to make it to noc in wesser nc
one section at a time

Boliche
09-09-2009, 09:03
Trail Name: Boliche
Start: 25 Feb
Approach trail: No
Will do Flip - Flop. North End Start 15 July

VirgilHazeWilliamson
09-09-2009, 21:25
Trail Name - Waiting for it
Direction - GAME
Estimated Start Date - March 14th, 2010
Approach Trail - yes

Yodhan
09-09-2009, 23:19
Name: Steven Hunter
Trail Name: Well, I have the nickname Yodhan, but who knows what I'll pick up along the way.
Direction - Northbound
Estimated Start Date : March 14th
Approach Trail - Yes.
Additional Info: I'll be the guy calling everyone mat and, once it warms enough to wear it, I'll be the guy in a kilt.

oldhoss
09-12-2009, 18:44
Trail Name-Saddle Tramp
NOBO
March 7, 2010
Approach Trail- NOPE, been there, done that, won't do it again.
Happy Trails Y'all

joestein
09-14-2009, 21:51
trail name: im not going to give myself a nickname. ill let you guys do that
NOBO
start date: march 15th
approach trail: yeah ive already done it. no point in starting off lazy.
extra 411: i am taking my sweet time. im not setting a record. im always open for new friends. now its time to pay off all debts

jhnewlin
09-16-2009, 05:16
Trail Name: to be determined
Estimated Start Date: post-mardi gras (late february)
Additional Information: Fairly novice hiker (but stubborn as hell) can't wait to hit the trail!

BrianLe
09-16-2009, 12:19
Trail Name: Gadget
Estimated Start Date: Feb 25
Approach Trail: Don't care, whatever transportation works best for.
Additional Information: in trail journal (http://postholer.com/brianle)

Rich01
09-16-2009, 23:54
Trail Name: tbd (Real names: Rich, Eoghan)
Direction: NOBO, maybe flip-flop
Estimated Start Date: April, maybe March
Approach Trail: you gotta start somewhere, right?
Additional Information: from Englewood, CO, LT E2E 2008 ' MonkeyPillow'

markuspat2
09-19-2009, 18:58
Name: Mark
Direction: nobo
Estimated Start Date: March 15th

LordRyan
09-20-2009, 15:36
Name: Ryan
Direction: nobo, hiking with MARKUSPAT2
Estimated Start Date: March 15th

4shot
09-21-2009, 20:56
Trail name - none yet
NOBO
Start date = early April
Approach trail = undecided

I am a novice hiker/backpacker but an avid outdoorsman.This has been a lifelong dream and I am lucky enough to have been "let go" from the job (in October) with an understanding spouse who is supporting this dream. Interested in meeting other novices at or close to my age for potential trail partner.

Helios
09-22-2009, 08:39
Trail Name: Crazy Legs
Estimated Start Date: March 25th
Approach Trail - yes

stunt man
09-26-2009, 16:48
Trail name~ stunt man
NOBO
early April
approach trail~ yes

Wiloby
09-26-2009, 17:27
R.A.Wizard
NOBO
March, 11, 2010
Yes, Unless I do it this fall as a test.

Thin Mint
09-27-2009, 00:06
Trail Name: Thin Mint
Estimated Start Date: Early March
Approach Trail - No, once was enough.

Hobbot
09-28-2009, 21:39
Trail Name: Hobbot
Estimated Start Date: Sometime in March...right now it is looking like hitting the trail March 31, but if a precursor trip to Japan (:p) doesn't pan out I'll be starting early March
Approach Trail - Probably

imgijoe
09-28-2009, 22:10
Trail Name - GI Joe & Spanky Lets get this party started. :banana
Direction - NOBO

Estimated Start Date - 01MAR2010

Approach Trail - Will complete on pre-hike weekend of 09FEB.

Any additional info that you want the world to know -
We are a late forties x-military party couple looking to meet people, and have a great experince on the trail.

wheatus
10-07-2009, 16:50
Trail Name: none

Estimated Start: Jan 2

Approach Trail: Of course

ShelterLeopard
10-07-2009, 20:16
Anyone know when Mountain Squid usually posts the spread sheet? (Out of curiosity)

mountain squid
10-07-2009, 20:52
It should be soon. I sent a message to attroll earlier today that it is ready for uploading.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Hobbot
10-07-2009, 21:27
Trail Name: Hobbot
Estimated Start Date: Sometime in March...right now it is looking like hitting the trail March 31, but if a precursor trip to Japan (:p) doesn't pan out I'll be starting early March
Approach Trail - Probably

Ok, it is now looking like a March 3 start date...

Scruffy
10-11-2009, 13:16
Trail Name Scruffy
Direction GA to ME
Estimated Start Date March 1
Approach Trail - yes or no YES

Desert Reprobate
10-11-2009, 17:04
Trail Name Desert Reprobate
Direction NOBO
Estimated Start Date Mid March
Approach Trail - yes

jbrecon2
10-11-2009, 21:06
Trail Name- Probally counting on all of you to decide!!
Direction -NOBO
Estimated Start Date- Mid March
Approach Trail- Not sure but probally not.

Hey everyone, this is John from NJ. My brother Mark and I will be heading NOBO in March. Just trying to live my American Dream. Can't wait to see everyone. Right now i've been doing a ton of gear research and trying to tackle a little bit of logistics. I'll be quitting my job as an R.N. and putting my stuff in storage. I section hiked 300 miles of Virginia in 2005 but havent done anything since. While excited, I get really nervous pretty frequently. So many "what if's"..................

[email protected]

cindytime2
10-12-2009, 07:52
Start date - March 1, 2010 Nobo
We are not doing the approach trail.
Follow us on trailjournals. www.trailjournals.com/allrighthalfleft (http://www.trailjournals.com/allrighthalfleft)
We (my husband and I) are so excited to be a part of the class of 2010. We have sectioned hiked, attended trail days in Damascus for the last 3 years, have most of our gear and can't wait to get on with it. Good luck to all who will join us and safe travels.:welcome

attroll
10-12-2009, 08:29
Anyone know when Mountain Squid usually posts the spread sheet? (Out of curiosity)
The spread sheet is now posted.

BrianLe
10-12-2009, 10:50
To save others from groping around, Mountain Squid's spreadsheet is here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2010thruhikers (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/../index.php?page=2010thruhikers)

partinj
10-12-2009, 13:23
Name Jeff
Trail Name: EasyGone
NorthBound
Estimated Start Date Feb 4
Approach Trail ?
I will be Keeping a trail Journal on Trailjournals.com it call EasyGone

mikemize
10-12-2009, 13:30
my name is mike mize
i plan to go NOBO
not 100% sure of my start date
but i will be doing the approach trail
thanks

GeneralLee10
10-12-2009, 20:40
Trail Name:
Estimated Start Date: March

Montego
10-12-2009, 21:26
Trail Name: Montego
Direction: NOBO from Mt. Springer
Estimated Start Date: Early April

This will be my second attempt. First attempt was SOBO from Harper's Ferry (flip-flop) which was cut short when I was called back home for an emergency.

justingk
10-13-2009, 23:39
Name: Justin
Trail Name: Well, I haven't really figured that out yet. I'll leave that to the other NOBO hikers.
Estimated Start Date: April 10

tcnic
10-14-2009, 08:42
Trail Name: Lodestone
Start: 1 March 2010
Approach Trail: Yes

datadog314
10-14-2009, 10:29
Name: Datadog
Estimated start date: Early March
Approach trail: ?
I've been dreaming about this for almost 35 years.......hope to see you all on the trail.

Shovelhead
10-14-2009, 13:30
Hi

I am a Thru-Hiker for 2010. Please add me to the roster.

Trail Name -
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - approx March 28 - April 4th
Approach Trail - yes
http://shovelhead2010.blogspot.com

Thanks

Shovelhead

Lillianp
10-14-2009, 14:31
I already posted, but I'm firmer on my info.
Trail Name: On the trail.
Estimated Start Date: February 24 or 25th

(I'm also NOT on the registry for whatever reason yet)

33leon
10-15-2009, 16:45
Trail Name: TBD
Estimated Start Date: Mid February
Approach Trail: Might as well.

Waiting for Visa interview before booking flights and picking dates. Apart from that, leave of absence from work sorted, earthly possessions ready to go into storage and most of my gear ready. Pack is about 11kg. Been doing 15 mile day hikes w/ 25kg of weights in a backpack, because there are no mountains near London :)

Freigeist
10-15-2009, 17:57
Trail Name -- undecided, and unconsidered really. Might be "Freig" or "Frayg" or something of the sort, I dunno.
NOBO
Starting early May/late April
Undecided on approach trail or not. Might just start walking at the nearest point in TN if I can't find a ride down south.

Additional Info: I'd like to reach Katahdin by early August, hehe. Probably going to have to run a bit to make it. Also going to try to do it on a shoestring budget if at all possible (<$3,000, aiming for $2,000). No alcohol/splurging in towns for me! :D

JonathanSaul
10-16-2009, 18:11
Jon Saul
Trail Name T.A. Walker
Direction NorthBound
Estimated Start Date March 20
Approach Trail - yes

EvKil
10-17-2009, 01:37
My girlfriend and I will be attempting to thru-hike the trail this upcoming year.

Trail Names: N/A
Start date: End of March/Early April
Approach trail: Not sure what that entails.

greebs
10-18-2009, 13:13
name: dont know yet
direction: northbound
start date: march first
approach trail: probably, why not

blue07
10-19-2009, 00:02
Blue
Ga > ME
Starting about mid-march
Not sure about doing the approach trail yet. Might be too eager to get on the AT when I arrive!

See you guys out there.

Baba Fats
10-19-2009, 15:11
Trail Name: Baba Fats
approach trail: probably
start time: early may

Symbol
10-20-2009, 10:21
Trail Name: Symbol
Estimated Start Date: Mid March

Additional info: Will probably start out slackpacking at least to Fontana. Looking forward to getting out on the trail, meeting new folks, make some firneds, and have a great walk to Maine.

wdprice99
10-20-2009, 19:17
Trail Name: BILL
Estimated Start Date 20 FEB
Approach Trail - YES

paradoxb3
10-21-2009, 20:54
To update my status...

Real Name - Devin
Trail Name - that'll up to the trail community this time, though i've sectioned as Caveman
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - March 15
Approach Trail - yes - AF is a great place to meet people, and feels to me more like a beginning than backtracking the .9 from springer parking lot!

A website is currently in the works @ www.devinhiking.com (http://www.devinhiking.com) -- the site is designed to give me the ability to update my status and exact location via text message directly into a clickable interactive google map. Additional blog posts, photos, and video will also be maintained as service allows via my web enabled smartphone. The page will be live hopefully mid to late November. The heart of the site (interactive map, blog, guestbook, and media) are all in place and working, however the final finishing touches are currently being added to the design.

River Dog
10-21-2009, 22:04
Real name-Craig
Trail name-Riverdog
Direction-NOBO
Estimated start date-March 14th tentatively, mid-march
Approach Trail-yes

This will be my first long distance backpacking trip and it's pretty much all I think about, especially at work. I am gonna try to hike as ultra light as possible, and I'm building a Ray Jardine backpack. I really respect and admire Ray and most of the methods he proposes, especially leave no trace and his light weight approach to backpacking. Can't wait to meet a bunch of fellow hikers and I know this will be a fullfilling and challenging adventure. Counting down the days!

sumnere
10-22-2009, 00:47
Name: Sumner Eakes
Estimated Start Date: June 1, 2010
Approach Trail: no

Can't stop thinking about it. Counting the days...

littlewalnut
10-22-2009, 06:19
Trail Name-littlewalnut
Direction-north
Estimated Start Date feb-15
Approach Trail - yes
will be flying in from africa to start the trail, look forward to seeing you all on th trail:D

lostequis
10-23-2009, 11:26
Paul
No trail name yet
NOBO
Feb 20-23
Yes

woodish
10-24-2009, 08:35
Trail Name: TBC
approach trail: Nope
start time: Mid February

Did HF to ME last year, hoping to do it all this year

mmoriart
10-24-2009, 08:54
How about starting in Harpers Ferry in April, going south, then hooking it up to Katahdin around July 15 and going southbound from there, ending up in Harper's Ferry again? No ice storms in Georgia, no black flies in Maine, get to see parts of the fall in Maine. have you thought of this approach?

iTrod
10-24-2009, 16:38
Arriving at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlongega on 3/9 and starting the Amicalola approach trail on 3/10/10.

woodish
10-25-2009, 06:56
Hi Mmoriart,

I have thought about it, particularly when I was on the trail last year and, although I'm not a purist, there is something about doing it all in one straight linear route that appeals to me.

Figgsy13126
10-25-2009, 12:42
Frank Madeiros

Direction: Nobo
Estimated Start Date : March 27ish?
Approach Trail - ??????

rebel460
10-26-2009, 04:40
Its looking like my hike is going be a SOBO. I'm going to shoot for a June 1st start. C'ya in Maine.

Spot In The Sky
10-26-2009, 09:41
Kevin Levine
Trail name: none yet
Direction: SoBo
Start date: July 1, 2010

traipsingplatypus
10-26-2009, 13:05
Trail Name- traipsingplatypus
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- NOBO
Approach Trail - probably

oswaldmccrappy
10-27-2009, 00:53
Trail Name: QuickDraw (for now)
Direction: North bound
Estimated Start Date : Mid May
Approach Trail - yes

Leo the True
10-27-2009, 13:38
Trail Name: Coyote Face
Direction: NOBO and maybe back SOBO
Start Date: Feb. 1st
Approach: Definitely

Going to do some documenting and writing.
Time is counting and I can't wait to be free!

tintin
10-27-2009, 13:44
Trail name: tintin
Start: 1st week of March

K_Squared
10-27-2009, 14:50
Trail Name: None yet--I hope I get a good one!
Start Date: March 29th
Approach: sure

My husband and I are so excited to start this journey together! We are starting the day after our 1 year anniversary! :)

borovicka
10-27-2009, 23:02
Trail Name: none
Direction: north
Estimated Start Date: March 4
Approach Trail - yes

ddgross323
10-28-2009, 17:19
Name: No trail name yet! Thinking maybe "Spinach"
Est. start: Early March
Approach Trail: Not sure I get the question but El Toro says HELL NO!!! so I have to say yes. I'm only doing this once in my life so I want to experience all of it.

bonbon49
10-28-2009, 19:03
Trail Name: bonbon
Direction: north
Estimated Start Date: April

Ghostnote
10-30-2009, 14:20
First week in April
NoBo.
Driving to Ga from Co.
Bringing a friend for the first half
finishing with the last half with my father

No trail name as of yet, but I'm sure I'll end up with a few..

Nicthegr
10-30-2009, 15:18
Trail name: Nutsack?
ESD: April second week
Approach trail: yep

I am very happy to see so many wishing to hike the trail. See ya on the trail!

Rebel
10-31-2009, 09:30
Trail Name: Rebel
Start Date: First week of March

Always looking for others to plan and walk with....at least starting out

Nicthegr
10-31-2009, 12:28
oops
North bound

Enoch02
10-31-2009, 13:07
Name: Enoch
Direction: GAME
Start: First week in March (weather permitting, of course)
Approach Trail: Yes. It's no stairway to heaven, but it's close!

Holy Smoke
11-01-2009, 17:10
Thru hiker
North bound
February 2nd week 2010
I fully intend to keep my mind right.... YARR ... My feet will follow. :sun

apsterbobed
11-01-2009, 19:03
Trail Name: My girlfriend and I haven’t been given or chosen one yet, any ideas?
Estimated Start Date: Feb 22 2010 +/- a day or two
Approach Trail: Well I’m not sure what trail that is but most likely, we also plan on going up and over Katahdin. We want to avoid backtracking.

jonnyringo
11-01-2009, 21:26
Trail Name- None yet
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- Mid to late March
Approach Trail - More than likely

"Never in the history of the world has any soldier sacrificed more for the freedom and liberty of total strangers than the American soldier." - Zell Miller (D) Georgia 2004

p.dean
11-02-2009, 11:10
Hey; my name is Pam.
I hope to start July 1st SOBO 2010
An AT First-timer

prsncguy
11-02-2009, 20:50
Randy
No trail name yet
NoBo
March 23, 2010
I am going to take the approach trail. I see it as part of the experience!

Anyone else from Asheville hiking in 2010??

TroutEhCuss
11-04-2009, 17:05
Name: Kel
TrailName: Trout (selfgiven)
NOBO - I might end up just doing some sections to train for 2011. Undecided.
End of Feb - probably during the middle of the week

Schuetzen
11-04-2009, 19:27
Trail Name: Schuetzen
Start Date: Late March

kombiguy
11-04-2009, 21:05
Chris
Northbound
NLT April 15 (depends on when I finish my taxes!)
Probably approach trail

RafiC
11-05-2009, 16:29
Trailname: RafiC. Direction: Nobo. Startdate: March, 13, 2010. Approach Trail: Yes "Warm up". It's a long way from Puerto rico to Ga, to Maine, but I'm planning to be there.....Good luck everybody!

Donde
11-07-2009, 01:20
Athos
NOBO
March 1
Yes

Quickstep
11-08-2009, 00:58
Quickstep
SOBO
June 15
Changed trailname from Pathfinder

smankin
11-08-2009, 21:46
I am looking for a partner and am leaving around the same time, would you be interested in talking about hiking together?

smankin
11-08-2009, 21:47
I am looking for a partner and am leaving around the same time, would you be interested in talking about hiking together?

Hey; my name is Pam.
I hope to start July 1st SOBO 2010
An AT First-timer

smankin
11-08-2009, 22:37
No trail name yet
NOBO
April/May

Looking for a partner

bearbuddy
11-09-2009, 11:56
Name: Sarah
Trail Name: None yet!
Estimated Start Date: early or mid March
Approach Trail - sure!

AUhiker90
11-09-2009, 19:39
Name: Spencer
Trail name: waiting for a true trail name
NOBO March 1st
Approach: Yes

Been dreaming about this for 6 years and I am now 18 and ready to go!

James Fetter
11-10-2009, 13:53
Papster
NOBO
1 March

johnniewalker
11-10-2009, 22:24
Change of plans:

Now NOBO, tentative start date of April 1 (or thereabouts), and maybe on the approach trail. Planning on an overall solo journey, going at my own pace, but would love to meet up and hike with others, especially in the first few days.

Still trying to figure out transportation to Springer (from my home in Maine) on a budget. Hitchhiking will be my last resort.

AzWildflower
11-11-2009, 21:01
Trail Name - Still waiting for it
Direction - NOBO
Estimated Start Date - mid March
Approach Trail - Not sure

Everything is on track - conditioning, gear, food dehydrating, studying.

Since I started hammocking, I can envision this adventure as sooooo much more fun.

Tecolote
11-11-2009, 21:55
"Venado" age 7, (will turn 8 on March 17, 2010) and
"Tecolote" age 51, will leave Springer Mountain in late February/early March

hope to get to Katahdin by summer's end.

Jane
11-12-2009, 19:10
Trail Name: Nothing, yet. Real name is Kelsey
Start Date: Late Feb/Early March
Approach Trail: Yeap

Young Gun
11-13-2009, 00:34
Trail Name: Young Gun
Estimated Start Date: March 15
Approach Trail - ?
Have hiked in smoky mountains national park many times including parts of the A.T. first attempt at a through hike though

squeezebox
11-13-2009, 22:45
I don't understand how this post works so please be patient. Thanks!!
If there is anyone in the St. Louis, Mo area who has done a thru on the AT i need a lot of advice.
Also i have a severed nerve in my left leg just above the ankle. causes pins and needles just about all the time. would like to hear from others with foot neuropathy on how to deal with any problems this might cause with long distance hiking
Thanks!
Bryce :confused:

boone1525
11-14-2009, 00:32
Name: Dan
Trail name: ?
Start Date: First week in March
Approach Trail: probably not

lrw2841
11-14-2009, 03:29
:clap Starting April 5, 2010 Springer Mtn

Tatertot
11-15-2009, 15:13
Trail Name: ______________

Start: Sometime between Jan 15th & Feb. 1st

Approach: Undecided, although certainly not a priority

Thoughts: Starting early to run into the cold and snow (with luck) & avoid the masses for awhile (with luck). I have no timetable and will be in no hurry. If you pass me...oh well... I'll see y'all when I get there.

That is exactly the way I see it as well!! Hmmm, maybe there will be more out than I had expected, however it may be, those out in the snow will be far less than those in the sun.

That is my th

sailsman
11-17-2009, 14:52
Trail name - mountaingoat

Direction - flip-flop starting in the Allentown, Pa area NOBO

Start time - April 15th

Approach - New Tripoli

Age - 60

Looking for others who may want to flip-flop since I live near the center of the trail. Plan is to hike NOBO and arrive by July 12 and then get a ride back and head SOBO.

mali
11-18-2009, 13:08
Trail Name: Mali
Direction: still-deciding
Estimated Start Date -- June 13 2010
Approach Trail - why not?

i desperately need a partner. or several. ;)

Soul Searcher
11-18-2009, 18:01
Trail Name: Soul Searcher
Est. Start Date: 1-8 March

Aaluff
11-19-2009, 10:16
I am not sure how to edit my original post sooo i will just add another to update my plans. Still going SOBO but hoping to start sometime in May will depend on the weather. I now live in Waldorf Maryland which puts me much closer to the trail :banana

Aaluff

zeejay
11-20-2009, 14:58
No Trail Name Yet
Flip Flop: Start in Harper's Ferry head north
May 2010
Is an approach trail a connecting trail to the AT?

I'm not 100% sure I will hike yet, because I don't have enough cash right now. I started a website to raise money.

gratefullyhiking
11-21-2009, 11:15
will rhyne leaving march 1 thru hiking nobo 2010

squeezebox
11-21-2009, 17:04
Name: Bryce
trail name:???
direction: NOBO
Date: Apr 10-15
Approach: Yes, (seems like cheating if you don't)
hiking experience: Newbie
Misc: my 15 yr old son with join me June 10 - Aug 10
would like someone to hike with at first.
maybe car-pool from St. louis.

A.T.DREAMER10
11-21-2009, 21:09
Trail name: A.T. DREMER 10
Date: mid March
Start from: Amicaloa Fall State Park :)
Would like to have companies on the same pace about 8M a day on the 1st two week and adjust accordingly.
Please drop me a email [email protected]

gratefullyhiking
11-22-2009, 09:55
gratefullyhiking
nobo
est start date: mid march
At
hiking alone and looking for a hiking buddy

gratefullyhiking
11-22-2009, 10:09
name : Will Rhyne
est start date: Mid March
NOBO
AT
im looking for someone or a group to hike with. u can contact me on whiteblaze or on facebook. happy hiking yall

VeganCupcake
11-22-2009, 12:29
None Yet
NOBO
May 1st
No

maxepstein
11-23-2009, 13:06
Mr. Hooper
NOBO
April 1
No

jnl82381
11-24-2009, 17:06
Trail Name: None Yet
Estimated Start Date: 15 APR

ehasenmyer
11-24-2009, 18:07
Trail Name: no name yet
Direction: Flip- flop (Harpers Ferry to Katahdin, then Harpers Ferry to Springer Mtn)
Estimated Start Date: June 1
Approach Trail - I think so

Hiking with my husband, but would welcome others. The more the merrier, I say. :)

gipcgirl
11-25-2009, 05:13
Trail Name: gipcgirl
Estimated start date: March 12th
Approach Trail: Yes I think so

Solo hiker but would welcome company with other hikers

gipcgirl
11-25-2009, 05:50
That is my plan to do 8-10 mile days for the first week or two so that my body works into the groove.

This can fit in with my plans to arrive around 10 - 12th March and start of with an easy pace to get my hiking legs in working order. Would be really good to start out with a few around the same age etc.

Thought I might stay at the Hikers Hostel 7693 Hwy 19n Dahlonega GA they do a shuttle service from Atlanta airport to the hostel and then to the start of the trail or to the place where you register your walk.

I will be booking my tickets soon and then will be locked in to start dates.

I am experienced in long distance hiking am reasonably fit and am 60 yrs old and very easy to get on with.

My email [email protected] if any one ones to discuss this a bit further.

Cheers
Tanya

gipcgirl
11-25-2009, 05:56
:welcome:welcome:welcome
Read my post
Tanya
gipcgirl

Direction: NOBO then Flip flop at Harper's Ferry
Estimated Start Date: End of March
Approach Trail - yes or no: ??
Any additional info that you want the world to know:

Has been a goal now for about 4 years. Currently on my third pass through my gear trying to reduce weight. Just bought a lighter tent and a new sleeping bag. I think I am in the final stages of planning my gear now. Soon I have to start planning my meals.

I plan to start out slow (low mileage days) and work up to a reasonable pace. I want to enjoy the trip, not win a marathon.

I would love to have a hiking partner to start out with.

bjd
11-25-2009, 19:50
bjd
(no trail name yet)
northbound
I hope to start mar.5th
no to the approach trail
this is my first time!
I think about it all day every day! I can hardly wait!

molonlabe
11-26-2009, 13:47
TBD
NOBO
April 5th
Affirmative

:banana

ragincajun
11-27-2009, 14:24
planning on starting the trail on the 22nd of february spending the 21st on the 8.8 mile hike to trail and the 20th at the hostel that gives you ride there and the 19th on a bus from new orleans to atlanta i am 235 want to hit my post army weight of 1995 of around 165-170 so not rushing it around the 6and half to 7 month pace anyone able to give rideshare tht is in or near new orleans would be great or if anyone else who plans or needs to lose weight on trail let me know or if anyone could give information about beef jerky making tips and costs

drifters quest
11-27-2009, 17:10
Trail Name- none
Direction- NOBO
Estimated Start Date- middle of March
Approach Trail - not sure

grayhare
11-27-2009, 19:11
Trail: AT
Thru-hike direction: Northbound
Trail Name: Grayhare
Start: mid-March

Solo hiker, 72; have section-hiked 600 miles but doing thru-trek this time.

Hikerbiker
11-28-2009, 01:37
Trail name "Frost" formally Hikerbiker
North bound
Start date Feb. 21, 2010
Approach trail. Sure Why not?

Red Beard
11-28-2009, 18:13
Due to some health issues, I've had to change my start date to mid-April. Happy hiking everyone. Hope you all have a great hike.

lilricky
11-28-2009, 22:55
Ricky
NOBO
February 2nd
Approach Trail - yes

Finny
11-29-2009, 04:48
Trail Name: None
Estimated Start Date: Late April

-Gonna start at Neel's Gap and finish where I left off last year. Can't wait!

Saffirre8
12-01-2009, 17:59
Where are all the SOBO's?? Everyone is going NOBO! When should you be passing through Harpers Ferry/maryland??

LordFouis
12-01-2009, 19:33
Trail name: Whoever gets creative first lol
Northbound
Starting: Haven't completely decided yet, but probably in late march
Approach trail: I don't entirely know what that is yet, can anyone help me with that?
Additional info: is there anyone from the DC area going at around the same time, or has hiked it before? I'd love some pointers/possible carpooling if you've got any!

8Iron
12-01-2009, 21:40
Trail Name: 8Iron <--I use an 8 iron golf club for my walking stick..paid .50 for it at a pawn shop..a Gene Littler, 1964 model!! : )
NOBO
Est Start: mid March 2010

MMX
12-02-2009, 14:27
MMX
NOBO
March 1st
Yes on the approach trail

Andrea356
12-02-2009, 15:05
Hi! I finally got a membership after lurking for about 4 years.

Trail name: None
Direction: Northbound (Basically, I'm flying down to Georgia and walking home to Maine)
Start date: first week in March
Approach: Don't think so

Looking forward to meeting some of you!

QuarterPounder
12-02-2009, 17:03
Trail name; will wait for a new one on the Trail to Maine
NOBO
Starting around March 12
Approach Trail; Probably not

Just joined White Blaze today. I've been reading the posts for a few weeks now and have found this website extremely helpful.

Thanks for all the hard work.

I look forward to meeting some of you on the trail. I'm starting early, but will be starting slow so I'll give you a High Five as you pass !!

QP

Dancin Free
12-02-2009, 18:53
:sun
little hiker
leaving march 20
no to approach trail.

Dancin Free
12-02-2009, 18:58
[quote=Dancin Free;927832:sun
little hiker
leaving march 20
no to approach trail.
Be at peace and walk on.

Dancin Free
12-02-2009, 18:59
:sun
little hiker
leaving march 20
no to approach trail.
Be at peace and walk on.

Sgt Pepper
12-02-2009, 21:21
Trail Name: Not given yet
Start Date: Early-Mid June (flexible)

Solo trip for me as of right now. Thru-hike first timer.

QuarterPounder
12-02-2009, 21:57
Trail name: Whoever gets creative first lol
Northbound
Starting: Haven't completely decided yet, but probably in late march
Approach trail: I don't entirely know what that is yet, can anyone help me with that?
Additional info: is there anyone from the DC area going at around the same time, or has hiked it before? I'd love some pointers/possible carpooling if you've got any!

The AT begins on top of Springer Mountain. There are a few ways to get to the start. The Approach Trail ascends the mountain from Amicola Falls Park to Springer. It's about 8 miles to the top and the terminus for the AT. There are other options via Forest roads in the area. One will get to the trail about 1 mile north of the the start. It's easy to hike south the 1 mile to the start, then head north from there.

That's probably what I will do.

May see you along the way.

All the best,

QP

cbeaves
12-03-2009, 00:26
Trail Name: Not yet - will wait for the proper designation
Estimated Start Date: March
Approach Trail: Not completely decided but probably no

I, too, have been lurking on WB for a while now and finally have some extra time in my life because I'll be graduating in 2 weeks! Woo-Hoo!

sobersensations
12-03-2009, 02:26
Greetings,

Just found this website today...... Contemplating my first AT adventure. Planning to NOBO on or around April 8th. Signing up for this site constitutes my beginning of my planning stage.. Im a newbie; so Looking to converse, learn and plan with other 2010'ers.

Please stop by and say hello.... Looking forward to a great adventure!

Regards,

Sweet Pea

hey Sweet Pea
I will be warming up on the FL trail starting in mid Dec and depending on weather start late Feb early March

sobersensations
12-03-2009, 02:30
no trail name yet newbie
NOBO
Feb hopeful March for sure
yes
anyone want to hike FL before?? let me know I fly down on the 6th of Dec and start my outdoor year in the sunshine state. along with some kayaking and stuff ( lucky me)

dgaf169
12-04-2009, 11:37
Trail Name: Rocker
Start Date: Feb 15
Approach trail: No

dgaf169
12-04-2009, 11:42
I live in Northern Va (leesburg area), starting on Feb 15th...let me know if you wanna do a few shakedown hikes before you start. I will be hiking "the rollercoaster" (rt 9 to rt 522) 2 times a week from now until early feb, if you ask me thats the best conditioning there is in this neck of the woods. I will also be doing 10 to 15 miles 3 days a week on the patomic-hertiage trail (its flat but it beats walking on the sidewalk all day).

rjridgely
12-04-2009, 17:56
My plans are now set.

HikerHostel the night of January 19th.

FS42 the morning of January 20th

stranger
12-04-2009, 23:44
Will be landing in the states on 7 April, probably looking to start nobo around 13-14 April...hope to see everyone out there!

Thomas Hudson
12-05-2009, 21:47
Name: Thomas Hudson
Trail Name: :) waiting
Estimated Start Date: March 1st
Approach Trail - yes sir

Nomaderwhat
12-05-2009, 21:55
Trail Name- Undecided
Direction -NOBO
Estimated Start Date- End of March
Approach Trail- N/A

My brother and I will be doing this hike together, and for totally different reasons. Or are they? I'm simply going for the adventure, or really just 'because'. I haven't found a deeper meaning yet, other than that it sounds like an amazing thing to do. And also because I can. I have no ties, no debt, no nothing. I've decided to lead a nomadic lifestyle for a little while, and this seems like a great addition to that life story I'm writing in my head. The only thing I fear, is injury. It's one thing to lose the mental toughness mid-hike, but to lose the physical ability to finish what you started... that is what scares me. But I guess if I'm meant to finish, then finish I shall. But if I see even one snake; I quit. (joking.. kinda)

Sgt Pepper
12-06-2009, 18:32
Trail Name: Not given yet
Start Date: Early-Mid June 2010 (flexible)
Approach Trail:

Solo trip for me as of right now. Thru-hike first timer.

I am open to anyone who wants to join, at least start at same time. Send me a message if interested. Thanks!

Chance09
12-06-2009, 20:08
every day i log onto this site I want to sign up in this thread again...it's really hard not too

Thomas Hudson
12-06-2009, 22:58
No Trail Name Yet
NOBO
Starting March 1st
I will be hiking naked the whole way...
just kidding.
Awkward

Hyway
12-06-2009, 23:56
Trail Name: Hyway (really a user name, but most people I hike with know me by that name)
Estimated Start Date: March 21stish
Approach Trail - No. Been there, done that, got the blisters.

gravy4601
12-07-2009, 22:57
Trail Name: Gravy4601
Direction : UP THE HILL GA-ME
Estimated Start Date mid to late march
Approach Trail - yes

Hope to see everyone out on the trail this year and best luck to everyone

LTROSS
12-08-2009, 18:18
Hey im Lachlan from PA, retiring old trail name for a new one this spring.
Heading northbound
Plan to start on march 1st
cant wait to feel the hunger

lal_100
12-09-2009, 13:21
Trail Name: None yet.
Heading: NOBO
Starting: March 5th (ish)

Heading from the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea! .. start time is flight cost dependant!

Andal
12-09-2009, 17:20
Trail Name: None yet.
Heading: NOBO
Starting: March 1st
Approach Trail: I hope so.

Well, I'm from Germany, I'm a bit frightenend, but also extremely excited in a positive way. Would be very happy about help from other people.
My first journey alone...HELP ;-)

Sallymon
12-09-2009, 20:04
Trail Name: None
Sobo
First time.

LTROSS
12-09-2009, 21:52
Wouldnt worry Andal, you can find any questions you have about the trail on this site, and there is a handful of people starting on march 1st.

clarkfree
12-10-2009, 00:57
Trail Name: Havnt earned one yet.
Est Start Date: End of Febuary
Im vary excited. Iv been thinking about this for 2 years now and a few months ago made other plans. they didnt pan out. So plan A is back in effect. My friend who was going to hike with me bailed but thats ok. Ill make new ones. hope to see you all in 2010.