PDA

View Full Version : Steripen with larger volumes

dannybuzzell
06-03-2009, 08:46
Can larger volumes of water ( ie. 4 liters in one container ) be treated with a Steripen by simply repeating the 1 liter application 4 times? I did that, but was suspicious of the source so I also added the appropriate AquaMira dose as well. Thanks for feedback.

ARambler
06-03-2009, 10:44
Good question. I think it would work for larger volumes until it didn't;) Not every drop of water has to me in the full strength of the light all of the time. I think more effective stirring would make up for a significantly higher volume. Striring moves the light rays around and moves the water closer to the light.

However, once there is a significant volume of water on the bottom that does not get an effective dose, you are screwed. If you stop and shake up the container, you are creating a mixture at the bottom that is only partially treated. If the top half is 100% effective and the bottom is only 10 % effective, before shaking, the bottom will start at 55% effective and be 60.5 % effective at the end of the second treatment. While the shaking will be helpful, it will take a long time to treat all of the water to a 99.9 % effectiveness.

The geometry of the bottle will be as important as the size, so a 4 liter (one gallon) jug may be easier to treat than a 2 liter soda bottle. I would even worry about a jug with a hollow handle with water hiding inside. A long skinny bladder might be really hard. Obviously, the effect of haze will be larger for the larger container. You can increase the number of doeses, say from 4 to 6 for the 4 liter container. Can you really stir for 9 minutes?

My guess is that with good stirring and shaking, a Steripen would be fine to treat a one gallon jug --- for someone else to drink. ;)
Rambler

bulldog49
06-03-2009, 11:19
Can larger volumes of water ( ie. 4 liters in one container ) be treated with a Steripen by simply repeating the 1 liter application 4 times? I did that, but was suspicious of the source so I also added the appropriate AquaMira dose as well. Thanks for feedback.

I believe I read on their website it won't work in anything larger than a 1 liter container. It has a switch you set for 16 oz or 32 oz.

flemdawg1
06-03-2009, 18:07
I fill my 1-liter Nalgene, treat it, then pour into my larger bladder. Only way to be absolutely sure.

Wags
06-03-2009, 23:09
I fill my 1-liter Nalgene, treat it, then pour into my larger bladder. Only way to be absolutely sure.

yup that's how i roll too

Tonus
06-04-2009, 00:37
I've been wondering the same question and recently googled upon a couple of interesting studies done for military emergencies. They used 3 liter bladders with 3 doses of Steripen and seemed to find it pretty effective, although I have to say I didn't read it that closely and don't understand it all.

http://www.steripen.com/PDF/USMP248-3literbladder.pdf

http://www.steripen.com/PDF/A&LBladderP248Revised9408.pdf

ChinMusic
06-04-2009, 00:54
At camp I will fill my 4L Water Tank with water. I will then treat 32 oz at a time at my leisure as I need it.

I see no need to treat 4L at a time.

Safari
06-04-2009, 00:59
Slightly off topic, but how is resupply for the batteries the Steripen needs along the trail? Mine uses those funny little 123 Litthium 3 volt camera ones, i'm taking a bit of Aqua Mira as a back up...

10-K
06-04-2009, 05:20
Slightly off topic, but how is resupply for the batteries the Steripen needs along the trail? Mine uses those funny little 123 Litthium 3 volt camera ones, i'm taking a bit of Aqua Mira as a back up...

Make sure to get the lithium 3 volt - not the alkaline. I've had one in my steripen since last year and it still works but I don't take it every trip so I don't know how long it would hold up under regular daily use for an extended period. I do know that a lithium will outlast an alkaline by a good margin though.

dannybuzzell
06-04-2009, 08:24
Thanks all for the feedback. I guess I did the best thing by adding the 4 liter dose of AquaMira. I do like to use the 4 liter bag in camp and am just trying to make the adjustment away from using a filter to Steripen and/or AquaMira. Thanks again - this site always helps somehow. db

flemdawg1
06-04-2009, 12:10
I've been wondering the same question and recently googled upon a couple of interesting studies done for military emergencies. They used 3 liter bladders with 3 doses of Steripen and seemed to find it pretty effective, although I have to say I didn't read it that closely and don't understand it all.

http://www.steripen.com/PDF/USMP248-3literbladder.pdf

http://www.steripen.com/PDF/A&LBladderP248Revised9408.pdf

Excellent to know you can get effective purification by using the Steripen in a bladder using the same standard doseage and doubling it for cloudy water.

flemdawg1
06-04-2009, 12:25

Seeing as a set of batts might only last a week and a pair of these go for $10, it might be much more cost effective to just use the Aqua Mira fulltime (30% cheaper).

Month of water (liters)150Total treatments/costcost$/literMonthly costSteripen Adventurer508.950.17926.85Aqua Mira drops12014.990.12491718.73750.697858

flemdawg1
06-04-2009, 12:28
Seeing as a set of batts might only last a week and a pair of these go for $10, it might be much more cost effective to just use the Aqua Mira fulltime (30% cheaper).

Month of water (liters)150

Total treatments/cost cost$/liter Monthly cost
Steripen Adventurer50 8.95 0.179 26.85
Aqua Mira drops 120 14.99 0.124917 18.7375 0.697858

Try that again.

flemdawg1
06-04-2009, 12:32
You'll have to decide for yourself if waiting 15-30 minutes for water each time is worth the extra $8/month and the possible hassle of mail drops or bounce boxes. (I assume AM is easier to find than CR123 batts).

Wags
06-06-2009, 10:53
You'll have to decide for yourself if waiting 15-30 minutes for water each time is worth the extra $8/month and the possible hassle of mail drops or bounce boxes. (I assume AM is easier to find than CR123 batts).

that's the reason i got the steripen classic for a couple extra ounces. the AA batteries are easier to find and cheaper

Wags
06-06-2009, 10:58
that said. the vast majority of thrus i saw my last section hike were using aqua mira

Critterman
06-09-2009, 21:38
Seeing as a set of batts might only last a week .........

I get about 3 weeks on a set of batteries.

Bear Cables
06-16-2009, 22:03
Make sure to get the lithium 3 volt - not the alkaline. I've had one in my steripen since last year and it still works but I don't take it every trip so I don't know how long it would hold up under regular daily use for an extended period. I do know that a lithium will outlast an alkaline by a good margin though.

Used my steripen for the first time this trek. Purifying for three hikers ,We purified a minimum of 45 liters (9 liters per day for 5 days) before the battery went weak. With a back up battery I should be good to go for a week and longer.