PDA

View Full Version : Golite Packs

Debbie
06-03-2009, 11:04
Does anybody have experience with the Golite series, especially the Odyssey or Quest? I have a Mountainsmith Spector now but I noticed the weight/vol. ratio of MS packs is not as good lately, so I'm considering a switch.:-?

Ridge Rat
06-03-2009, 11:23
I am currently using the Golite JAM pack. Its a great pack with very few bells and whistles... You have to pack it so that it fits comfortably on your back since it is nearly frameless (has a thin plastic frame that can easily be bent and provides very little pack rigidity). I like it and it is definently light. Claims to be a 3000 cu. inch pack but I can still fit what would fill my 3200's. Try it out. If you buy it from EMS or REI or alike you can always take it back.

jrnj5k
06-03-2009, 14:01
Ive got the pinnacle and love it. Great quality, and will last.

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 14:19
My hiking partner uses Golite packs -- the frameless ones -- and they seem to be well made. His have several years on them and they are holding fine.

Other packs with good space-to-weight ratios and internal frames: REI Flash packs, Osprey Exos and Atmos/Aura series, Six Moons Designs Starlite and Comet (Comet is discontinued and on a great sale right now), the ULA packs, the Gossamer Gear Mariposa, several Granite Gear packs, the Gregory Z series, and probably others that I can't think of right now.

Beyond a specific brand, it helps to try on lots of packs, and wear them around with your full load of gear and food.

Mags
06-03-2009, 15:12
My hiking partner uses Golite packs -- the frameless ones --

I have the Jam II. It is my all purpose pack as it is a bit more rugged, if heavier, than my dedicated 3 season backpack (currently the Six Moons Swift) Simple and fairly rugged for a lighter pack. A 20 oz, it is lighter than my old daypack. I've taken it on day hikes, night hikes when I haul in 2 gallons of ice cream and ski tours when I haul in 10 lbs of pork roast. :)

I also only paid $30 for it via a friend who worked the Go-Lite warehouse sale here in town. :D

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 16:15
I also only paid $30 for it via a friend who worked the Go-Lite warehouse sale here in town. :D

Schweet. I would buy it for $30.

double d
06-03-2009, 16:24
I have the GoLite Odyssey model (2008) and love it. Very well made, not alot of "bells and whistles" that you don't need on a pack, so GoLite keeps it simple, which I really like. Just a great, lightweight, well made pack. I have also used alot since I've only had it about a year.

thunderson
06-03-2009, 16:46
I bought a 2009 pinnacle recently and really like it. You do have to learn how to load it properly and what that is will probably be a little different for everybody, gear choices, body structure, etc. I enjoy this pack so much that I also bought a Jam 2 for my daughter and would recommend either one.

Chaco Taco
06-03-2009, 20:06
Thruhiked with a pinnacle last year and it was pretty good. Reinforce load lifters with dental floss. Did great for my body frame. I would not say use it for extensive LD hiking but sectioning yes.

fiddlehead
06-03-2009, 20:32
I have been using a Go-Lite Breeze since they sponsored me back in 2001.
Still use it now. It's a great pack. Simple, lightweight, and rugged.

Seeker
06-03-2009, 21:00
i've got a Go-Lite Gust. I bought it used, and it's probably about 6 or 7 years old... I added some water bottle pockets to the sides, and some loops to thread an elastic cord through (criss-crosses the back) for holding wet stuff. Weighs about 21/22oz, and is very comfortable to 20 lbs. Even up to 25, it's still carries well, allowing me to carry extra water when it's dry here.

Debbie
06-04-2009, 10:41
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll go with the Golite.

Red Hat
06-04-2009, 14:09
Debbie, the key to Golite is that you MUST really go light! If you are 25 lbs or more it becomes uncomfortable. I use a ULA Circuit because I am usually at borderline 25 lbs with food and water. My hiking partner tried using a Golite with over 30 lbs and ended up buying a Gregory to carry his stuff. Heavier yes, but more comfortable.

Debbie
06-04-2009, 14:12
Oops! I usually run 30+. Glad you wrote. I haven't bought anything yet. Maybe I need to rethink this one.:-?

bigcranky
06-04-2009, 15:27
Red Hat's post applies to the frameless Golite packs only. The packs with internal frames can easily carry 35 pounds, in my experience. Both the packs you mentioned have frames.

Red Hat
06-04-2009, 20:00
OMRiver was using a Golite Pinnacle. It was disastrous for him. I still say, keep it under 25 or go for something else. In my opinion, nothing better than ULA

bigcranky
06-04-2009, 20:25
30% or more off Golite gear:

http://golite.qm4.net/members/ViewMailing.aspx?MailingID=2147488652

bigcranky
06-04-2009, 20:26
OMRiver was using a Golite Pinnacle. It was disastrous for him. I still say, keep it under 25 or go for something else. In my opinion, nothing better than ULA

Sorry, I didn't meant to speak for you as I did. I made an assumption about the frameless part.

I tried an Odyssey with 30 pounds or so and it seemed fine, though.

Debbie
06-04-2009, 20:55
I e-mailed Golite's website re: the weight Golite Odyssey was designed for; the response was: Max. 50 lbs.

skinewmexico
06-04-2009, 21:05
If you use both of the GoLite codes now, everything is 40% off thru the 12th. Get yourself an Ultra 20 while you're at it.

30% - GLNTD09
10% more - GLNTD09VOL

Or maybe the second code is for 40%, I don't know, just play with it.

Wags
06-05-2009, 14:11
enter 1st code and hit update cart
then delete 1st code, and enter 2nd code. hit update cart
see 40% off your total

bastards got me late last night in a moment of weakness. how is it that super great deals always end up costing me so much?

mister krabs
06-05-2009, 14:45
wow, thanks guys, picked up a large jam2 in red for 80.99 shipped. Wish they would have had the black one, and wish I could have justified that 120$ more for an ultra 20.

Debbie
06-05-2009, 16:09
Is there some trick to shopping the Golite website? I kept trying to add to my shopping cart and kept getting the message "shopping cart empty". The item is not out of stock. Do I have to log in or something? Sounds ridiculous but that's what happened. I e-mailed customer service and they don't know what the problem is.

mister krabs
06-05-2009, 16:21
hm, I didn't have any problems. tried a different browser? checked your cookie settings?

Wags
06-06-2009, 00:14
yeah i dunno deb. try mr. krabs suggestions. i had no problems w/ internet explorer

Wags
06-06-2009, 00:15
i cannot go back to that website b/c i've flagged myself from new gear. i deleted it and steepandcheap off my favorites, for the time being

skinewmexico
06-06-2009, 02:21
I need to get rid of SAC, at least until I get a job. But I did just get a SD Hurricane LT for $11.99.

Debbie
06-06-2009, 11:19
I ordered a Golite Odyssey by phone yesterday and was given the Trail Days discount. They don't usually give that by phone, but did because my computer was acting up. Very nice of them!

Thanks for letting me know about the discount.

Seeker
06-06-2009, 18:00
i've got a Go-Lite Gust. I bought it used, and it's probably about 6 or 7 years old... I added some water bottle pockets to the sides, and some loops to thread an elastic cord through (criss-crosses the back) for holding wet stuff. Weighs about 21/22oz, and is very comfortable to 20 lbs. Even up to 25, it's still carries well, allowing me to carry extra water when it's dry here.

just an update... this post of mine generated some PMs, so i posted pictures of the mods in the photo section, under the Gear section. Keywords are Go-Lite Gust. Hope they help!

trudger
07-15-2009, 16:11
I have a Quest and am well satiafied with it. It carried 40lbs. comfortably and is large enough for a thru.

summermike
07-15-2009, 17:32
I've comfortably carried 40+ lbs in my Gust, including winter gear and 3L of water. The key is learning how to pack it correctly, which is different for everyone depending on your gear and how you like the weight to ride.

My sleeping mat, a Z-rest, folded up and went down the back of my pack to be a pad between my back and the pack. My Hubba tent poles went on one side and the tent on the other and they provided the "frame." I cinched the hip belt tight so the majority of the weight sat there; the shoulder straps were kept loose as they barely did anything except keep the pack against my back. Keeping the weight on your hips is a more natural way to carry weight on your body IMO, then your legs do most of the work and not your back and shoulders.

Frog
09-16-2009, 17:59
I bought my odyssey last year been you using it ever since. Its been on 3 week long trips and many weekend trips . I have had no problems with pack. Adjust well Packs easy. You can however over put stuff in the outside pouch and find it all work its way to the bottom of the pouch. I all so have an older quest same thing with it great pack. I bought the odyssey because i liked the shoulder straps better. I used the quest on around 400 miles of hiking on the A T in various sections plus all of the GA section. On both packs at all times I never used a rain cover and never had any water get in the pack. I recommend either pack. They are big for golite for i like to carry a lot of various equipment.

goedde2
03-31-2010, 10:09
Try looking into a Gregory Z 65. It weighs just over 3 pounds, has a zip around feature that allows you easy access to your entire pack from the back, and an arched mesh support that keeps the pack away from your back so you stay cooler. Very comfortable, especially with a pad at the bottom that rests in the small of your back. Remember though, the lighter you go, the more you give up in comfort and support. A very happy compromise between my old Arcteryx Bora 80, and that Gregory Z 65 is my new Arcteryx Altra 75. I think this will be my last pack, no matter where I go, or how much I carry. Very happy with it, and it flexes on a pivot to move with your body.