PDA

View Full Version : boots?

bluffhead
06-03-2009, 12:58
has anyone thru hiked in tall military boots, ie jungle boots?

MattBuck30
06-03-2009, 13:10
I thru hiked last yr and my 1 pair of Garmont boots made it from Springer to Katahdin (probably should have replaced them for the last 150 miles), but I would highly reccomend them.

hikergirl1120
06-03-2009, 13:38
On my shakedown I saw a few guys wearing them...

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 14:15
I saw a guy wearing tall jungle boots last year near Damascus. Most of his clothing appeared to be recent Army-issue. When I asked him about it, he said it worked well when he was in the service, and he saw no reason to change. Good for him.

JokerJersey
06-03-2009, 14:17
I wear a pair of Bates Ultra Lights, the high top 8" Enforcer series and I absolutely love them. Great support, good padding, nice lug pattern, and good outsoles. Picked them up in Pendleton when I was serving there at the PX. I won't switch to something else unless I know for sure they would work better for me. These work for me, aren't really that heavy (3 lbs), and have proven themselves in every condition I've put them through.

Personally, the jungles just didn't have enough support or cushion in them for me. I switched to the Bates about 2 years into my service and wore them on field ops, training missions, battalion runs, and all types of hikes. Don't get sucked into the whole idea that you need to have specific "hiking" boots or shoes. If they work for you...keep em and to hell with what everyone else thinks.

Rockhound
06-03-2009, 15:00
My high techs just crapped out a few days ago. (for $40 it was expected) I gotta give some big props to Serial at Sundog outfitters. He hooked me up with a pair of Garmants that were on clearance. They are still the most expensive things I've ever had on my feet by boy are they worth it. I'm a cheap bastard but after wearing those I think I'll be spending a little extra from now on. After all, my feet are my only carriage. Go to Sundog and Serial will take good care of you.

bluffhead
06-03-2009, 16:58
i have danners now but i have bates gortex, they feel like slippers but make my feet sweat alot.

LockJaww
06-03-2009, 17:43
Lots of miles here in Converse military Desert Boots. Great boots...very comfortable and ideal for most Arizona hiking. I even have a pair that I wear to work. Dont think that they would hold up to prolonged mud or creek crossings....but they are desert boots after all.
I wore jungle boots " for a living " when I was stationed at Fort Stewart Ga ( also known as Camp Swampy ) back in the 70's....I think with the proper inserts they would serve in lower wet muddy conditions on the AT just fine. I certainly humped lots of miles in them with a very heavy ruck ( ammo, C Rations...which were cans, ...etc..)....You can keep them as wet as you'd like...not much in the way of ankle support though....Not my choice of boots in rocks...

Route Step
06-03-2009, 18:28
I use Lowa hiking boots. They have a lot more ankle support than my military boots. My desert boots might breathe a little better.