PDA

View Full Version : trail runners?

PUNKINPUSS11
06-03-2009, 14:36
can someone just give me ideas on good ones to get? I hate the whole trial and error thing. Doing the JMT next yr, any suggestions?

chomp
06-03-2009, 15:06
I love the New Balance 810 trail runners. The have worked well for me for several years now. And they come in widths, which is critical for me.

Tenderheart
06-03-2009, 15:10
I love the New Balance 810 trail runners. The have worked well for me for several years now. And they come in widths, which is critical for me.

I also like the New Balance 800 series. The somewhat beefier, original 801 is still available at "aperfectdealer.com". These people are good to do business with.

litefoot 2000

dradius
06-03-2009, 15:29
I can't recommend a particular shoe. But I will stress the importance of testing the shoe out and breaking it in before a long thru hike. Not much worse than being a couple days into a long hike and realize you hate your shoes :)

bigmac_in
06-03-2009, 15:33
It all depends on your foot, and what feels good on it. Many people swear by the New Balance, but I don't particularly like them. I had a pair of Nike's that surprised me how well I liked them. And I have always like Asics.

garlic08
06-03-2009, 15:39

I also use these, though they're up to 812 now. You can find 811s on sale some places. These are very light shoes and some hikers find them too flimsy, so if you're looking for any kind of support, you may want to look elsewhere.

Red Hat
06-03-2009, 16:04
Ditto on the New Balance 800 series. Like Garlic said, 812 is the new series number and run about $90. You can find 811 at New Balance outlet stores for about half that. I've used them since the 803s....

Phreak
06-03-2009, 16:07
Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 16:13
Salomon XA Comp III

(Not that I would recommend that you buy a pair without testing a lot of shoes. Sorry.)

ARambler
06-03-2009, 16:37
Salomon XA Comp III

(Not that I would recommend that you buy a pair without testing a lot of shoes. Sorry.)

Similar to the Salomon XA Comp 3? How many miles on them?

At trail days I bought Inov 8 Roclite 320's. I've been wearing them for an hour now this computer. Their reputation (as a running shoe) is great for weight, good for comfort, and acceptable but perhaps below average for wear. I use the Superfeet insoles.

My good experience with the Montrail Hardrock and Vasque Velocity is getting dated.

Rambler

NCYankee
06-03-2009, 16:39
Montrail Hardrocks from Mountain Crossings saved my trek when my well broken in Asolo boots destroyed my feet in GA.

I highly suggest them

Engine
06-03-2009, 16:43
Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX

I second that, GREAT SHOE!

bigcranky
06-03-2009, 17:53
Similar to the Salomon XA Comp 3? How many miles on them?

I get a year of section hiking with them. They seem to hold up pretty well.

Mags
06-03-2009, 19:43
Go to a good store that specializes in running. Even better if they have people who specialize in trail running. Even better if they have an active adventure racer clientele.

There is not a direct correlation to backpacking, but a knowledgeable sales person will work with you, often do running/walking tests, etc to get a shoe that is a good fit for YOU.

Every foot is different. What's golden for one person will be a bad fit for another.

Buy the initial pair of shoes and the size they suggest after all their hard work. If you like the shoe, then buy online (and in bulk ..as shoes change often!).

If you are new to trail shoes vs boots (or hell, even new to backpacking in general) it is worth spending some money with a qualified, knowledgeable and helpful sales person. The ones who work/own the small stores often do it out of love and their enthusiasm and passion will help you.

Blissful
06-03-2009, 19:57
I went to a good running shop to get fitted and ended up with Brooks Adrenaline ASR as I pronate.

callook66
06-05-2009, 06:52
ive wanted to check out those golite storm dragons...

Wags
06-07-2009, 23:16
2 guys i was with got the beginning stages of trenchfoot and a bunch of blisters b/c of their goretex shoes. they just couldn't dry their feet during the course of the day after a day of soaking rain

others opinions vary, and plenty of people enjoy goretex trail runners. i'm just sharing my experience w/ them

Chug
06-08-2009, 17:16
I second that, GREAT SHOE!
i found those shoes lacking in arch support on my thru hike. I had them from springer to nannyhala. my feet were getting really sore. this was without superfeet or any other orthotic, just the regular insole that came with them. There, i bought chacos on sale. loved every bit of them for the remaining 600 miles of my hike.

i still like the solomons for day hikes and runs.

Foyt20
06-08-2009, 18:09
It is all a very personal choice. Ask 20 different people, get 15 different answers. try some on in the store, but also think about where you are going to be hiking. I wouldnt wear Trail runners in PA, cause the rocks may tear up your feet.

That is just one example but something to gnaw on.

Mother's Finest
06-08-2009, 18:22
The dang brand don't matter.

if it fits buy it.....

the shape of your foot should dictate the shoe you purchase. A pro should be able to fit you very quickly.

peace
mf

kayak karl
06-08-2009, 19:41
The dang brand don't matter.

if it fits buy it.....

the shape of your foot should dictate the shoe you purchase. A pro should be able to fit you very quickly.

peace
mf
your from philly. where is a good place to go where the sales people are pros. i really need to get my feet measured.