PDA

View Full Version : Messing around on the Florida trail this winter

The Phoenix
06-03-2009, 16:04
I'm currently attempting a thru-hike on the AT... God willing/ my legs willing I'll be up in Maine sometime this late Summer/early fall...

I have heard a lot of cool things about the Florida trail from people I look up to and respect on the AT and figured I'd give it a 10 go... any ideas of where I should go... what is a MUST see?

I am just putting it out there to folks that I am thinking about gettin out on the trail this winter... I still got a good bit of trekkin ahead of me on the AT so I don't want to get too ahead of myself...

thanks as always

Godspeed

traildust
06-05-2009, 09:53
Molloy has a good book on the Florida Trail worth reading. Goes from end to end. Good luck.

Gray Blazer
06-05-2009, 10:09
PM me when you are down here around G-ville (Title Town).

David@whiteblaze
07-27-2009, 21:26
geez, as a 13 year fl resident what you will not want to see is the sun, even on the coldest days when its cloudy, it sorta half-bakes you.

healthymom
07-27-2009, 23:39
My son and I are planning a 5-6 day hike in Oct and another 6-9 day hike right around New Years as a shakedown for our upcoming AT thru. Since we live in FL and are members of FTA, our most likely destinations will be on the FT.
So, suggestions for 4-7 night hikes on the FT? Loops would be good although we are willing to consider a linear hike with easy drop-off & pickup.
We did the Croom tract of Withlacoochee in Feb 2 nights, 3 days and enjoyed ourselves immensely.
All ideas welcome!
Thanks!
Dee
healthymom

healthymom
07-27-2009, 23:40
Molloy has a good book on the Florida Trail worth reading. Goes from end to end. Good luck.
Do you have the title of this book?
Thanks!
Dee
healthymom

chiefduffy
07-28-2009, 02:53
I recommend sections along the Suwannee River. Very scenic and not all flat, unlike most of the FT.

-Duffy

Jeff
07-28-2009, 05:37
Started a section hike in south Florida from the Oasis Visitors Center north thru the Big Cypress Preserve. I saw more wildlife the first day out than all my time on the AT. The alligators are a bit unnerving to an Ohio boy, but I soon learned they have no interest in hikers unless provoked.

Hikes in Rain
07-28-2009, 06:12
Prepare to hike wet; here's a picture of the southern terminus of the FT! Note the trail sign.....

Jeff
07-28-2009, 08:18
Prepare to hike wet; here's a picture of the southern terminus of the FT! Note the trail sign.....

Yes indeed, that first 10 miles north from the terminus is awfully wet. Skip up to Oasis for a "dry" start!!!!

wahoo
07-29-2009, 11:58
The Phoenix -Check out some of the sections along the Suwannee, they are terrific!

Healthymom - Glad you enjoyed the Croom loop, I live close to there and get out on that loop all the time. For another great loop in the area, do the Citrus loop, you'll love it!

stumpy
07-29-2009, 12:43
geez, as a 13 year fl resident what you will not want to see is the sun, even on the coldest days when its cloudy, it sorta half-bakes you.

That is the truth!!!!! I hiked along the Kiss. river one year in Jan. and we thought we were going to cook. It was very, very open. I would have given anything for some shade and it was the middle of Jan!

Jeff
07-29-2009, 12:55
That is the truth!!!!! I hiked along the Kiss. river one year in Jan. and we thought we were going to cook. It was very, very open. I would have given anything for some shade and it was the middle of Jan!

Same with hiking along Lake Okeechobee. No shade..hot, hot, hot, even in January. I see bikers up on the dike too. They're as hot as the hikers!!!

Ladytrekker
07-29-2009, 14:32
I am doing a 4 day/3 night hike in the fall going 41 miles from Suwannee River State Park east to White Springs. The entire hike is along the Suwannee River. I will tell you that some of the Florida Trail crosses private property and the agreement between property owners and the Florida Trail Association is that hikers must be FTA card carriers to use their property. I do not know how much that is enforced.

You can access more trail information by going to www.FloridaTrail.org (http://www.floridatrail.org/). Or go to www.meetup.com/hiking-560 (http://www.meetup.com/hiking-560). I am a trail maintainer and will be out on the trail thru a good part of the fall and am planning to do as much hiking as I can do during the colder months. Also, in the panhandle the trail is on Eglin AFB and you must get a permit first.

It is a good way to see natural Florida, just remember were flat flat flat compared to the AT.

wahoo
08-02-2009, 22:06
Do you have the title of this book?
Thanks!
Dee
healthymom

It's called "Hiking the Florida Trail". 1,100 Miles, 78 Days, Two Pairs of Boots, and One Heck of an Adventure.

Great book!

healthymom
08-02-2009, 23:01
It's called "Hiking the Florida Trail". 1,100 Miles, 78 Days, Two Pairs of Boots, and One Heck of an Adventure.

Great book!
Hi Wahoo!
Got this book on Fri, am more than 1/2 way through it. Has so far convinced me that there are several sections of the FT I intend to avoid, not interested in slogging through water, walking on dikes or road walks. That said, I still believe there are parts of the FT I want to do.
I like his style of writing, very accessible(sp?).
I also got his Hiking Trails of Florida's National Parks, etc. I have his Florida Car camping book on order.
As I mentioned, my son and I are looking for a 5-6 day hike for Oct and 6-9 days around New Years. Any thoughts?
We did the Citrus tract in Feb and had a great time. (I might have mis-spoken earlier, I think I said we did the Croom tract.)
Does anyone know if there is a site or forum like this one dedicated to just the trails in FL, including the FT? Perhaps as a part of the FTA website?
Dee
healthymom

GeneralLee10
08-02-2009, 23:20
Does anyone know if there is a site or forum like this one dedicated to just the trails in FL, including the FT? Perhaps as a part of the FTA website?
Dee
healthymom[/quote]

http://www.myfloridahikes.com/ Is a good Fl Hiking site.

Jrickey
08-03-2009, 00:01
Would you want or be able to bring your dog with you on the citrus trail?

wahoo
08-03-2009, 20:40
I've seen people with dogs on the Citrus Loop on occasion, not sure of how long/far they were hiking though.

traildust
08-04-2009, 14:23
Sorry I was away hiking on The Sheltowee in Ky. Glad someone got you an answer. It is an excellent book. FT is on my to do list. Wet is an understatement. Watch the weather closely. Enjoy.

Hi Wahoo!
Got this book on Fri, am more than 1/2 way through it. Has so far convinced me that there are several sections of the FT I intend to avoid, not interested in slogging through water, walking on dikes or road walks. That said, I still believe there are parts of the FT I want to do.
I like his style of writing, very accessible(sp?).
I also got his Hiking Trails of Florida's National Parks, etc. I have his Florida Car camping book on order.
As I mentioned, my son and I are looking for a 5-6 day hike for Oct and 6-9 days around New Years. Any thoughts?
We did the Citrus tract in Feb and had a great time. (I might have mis-spoken earlier, I think I said we did the Croom tract.)
Dee
healthymom

DareN
08-04-2009, 15:02
I second the Suwanee recommendation for The Phoenix. Healthymom, for a 5-6 day trip the Ocala National Forest would be perfect. I don't know what to recommend for 6-9 days though. You can bring dogs on the Citrus tract, I go there all the time. I would love to do the section from Oasis to Alligator Alley this winter or the OTL trail. If any FL folks are interested PM me.