PDA

View Full Version : All about the journey for the new gal

Chillfactor
06-03-2009, 19:07
I hope to start out July 15th. I don't have any deadlines and getting to Katadin won't be my focus. The starting point needs to be decided so I can buy a ticket, plan mail drops, etc. I thought about going NOBO from Waynesboro, Va to Harper's Ferry or Duncannon; or Delaware Water Gap to the Mass/Vt border. Going SOBO from Mass/Vt to DWG; or from Duncannon to Waynesboro. I want to enjoy the journey and can extend or shorten it according to how I feel.
Which section during this time of year isn't hellish? I've lived in Ma for 2 years so the terrain isn't new. Driven though Blue Ridge Mountains and Virginia and the scenery was awsome. I like trees! (with leaves)
I can catch a train to Harper's Ferry from D.C. but will have to spend LOTS of hours to wait for the train. Planes to Harrisburg Pa and Charlottesville Va are good but more expensive options. Friend will pick me up in Massachusetts.
But what's the best starting point? Lots of rain in Virginia?

Blissful
06-03-2009, 20:02
We've had a lot of rain this year so far. If you go farther south - VA south - you will encounter more hot and humid weather.

flemdawg1
06-03-2009, 22:56
Why not SOBO from Katahdin?

warraghiyagey
06-03-2009, 23:01
Why not SOBO from Katahdin?
:sun:sun:sun:sun

bigcranky
06-04-2009, 08:33
Virginia and NC in late July are pretty warm and humid. I try to avoid long hikes in mid-summer, but other people like that sort of thing.

I'm still trying to get a month off in July or August to hike south from Katahdin. That would be a good time of year to be there.

Chillfactor
06-04-2009, 12:13
I don't want my first section to be a killer and would like to save Katahdin for the climax. I'd like to enjoy this trip and not become discouraged.

Chillfactor
06-04-2009, 12:15
And isn't the northern-most section -NH and Maine- the hardest?

mikec
06-04-2009, 14:02
How about CT and MA? The weather is not too hot and there are some good challenges. You can make Greylock the final ascent.

WalkingStick75
06-04-2009, 19:55
I would think Harpers Ferry would be a good start point. The trail is not too challenging so it will give you time to get your walking legs before you hit Vermont. IMO

Have fun!

Czechtrecker
06-08-2009, 08:26
I think DWG Nobo is a good plan. You will still have to deal with heat and humidity, but not as bad as VA. You will also be closer to civilization so resupply will be easier and you can pack lighter than ME or NH. There will also be plenty of trees with leaves.

DavidNH
06-08-2009, 10:22
You are starting July 15th or there abouts. How about starting out of Damascus, VA and hike up to Harpers Ferry. Then skip up to Kent, CT and hike through to Katahdin. That way you will get some of the best of the AT.

In July you will absolutely positively want to avoid the Cumberland Valley in PA. This area goes through farmland, crosses numerous roads, and can be hotter than hell itself!!!! When I went through it was 90 + degrees and that was in June!!! I'd also avoid the hike out of Lehigh Gap (I think they call it Dante's Inferno) which is also in PA.

David