06-03-2009, 21:03
Can anyone direct me from I-85 @ Gainsville Ga. to Forest service road 42
or give me a link to the info
Thanks

Ron Haven
06-03-2009, 21:15
ThanksThere are many different ones but if you are coming form Atlanta,take the 985 north to exit 20 and that is the Jefferson and hwy 60 at Gainesville,Ga and go left or north 25 miles to Dahlonega and turn right at the light saying to suches on 60 & 129 follow it oppx 15 miles til it splits to left to suches.go 6 miles and turn left on Cooper Gap Rd.That is FS42

Ox97GaMe
06-03-2009, 22:44
You are probably wanting to get to Springer parking lot on 42. although Ron gives directions to 42 at Suches, it isnt your best option to get to Springer.

Follow Ron's directions to Dahlonega, but take Hwy 52 over to Amichalola Falls State park. At the visitors center, they will have maps to direct you over to FS 42 from the Big Creek Rd/Cartecay area.

From AFSP, the directions are basically...
- West on 52 toward Elijay
- Turn Right on Roy Rd
- Turn Right on Big Creek Rd
- Turn Right on FS42

Im not sure of exact mileages for each segment, but it takes about 45-60 min to get to Springer from AFSP.

Although FS 42 from Suches is AN option, the road isnt well maintained the entire distance (approx 20 miles). In some places, it is nearly impassible (at least not recommended) without a high clearance vehicle.

Ox97GaMe
06-03-2009, 22:47
If you are trying to get to the trail at a road crossing (other than 3 forks) between Springer and Suches, then you would want to go to Camp Merrill (military base) north of Dahlonega. At the main gate, there is a gravel road that turns to the right. Follow this up to Cooper Gap. From there, you can go left to Horse Gap or Hightower Gap, you can go right to continue over toward Gooch Gap.

Best way to get to Gooch Gap is to take Ron's directions over to Suches and come in from that way.

Bad Co
06-04-2009, 03:53
Thanks I am comming from Greenville SC
Need to get to the parking lot at Springer

Awol2003
06-04-2009, 08:39
The coords to the parking area are: N34 38.257 W84 11.725 (from Appalachian Pages).

You can enter this into Google Maps and it will show you where you are headed. Even the forest service road shows up. You will see why the driving directions sound complicated, particularly since the road names change. When taking the "official" directions there is a left turn that you need to make on Roy Road that is not altogether obvious, so I think its just as well to stay on 52 until reaching Big Creek Rd. Then you have no turns to worry about until reaching the forest service road.

Also, at least with Garmin, you can enter these coords into your vehicle's GPS. Although I'd be very skeptical of the route that it plots for you to such a remote area.

Deadeye
06-04-2009, 12:57
Ok, I'll admit it, this is a smart ass reply. I must be over-caffeinated or something today.

If you can't find your way to the freakin' trailhead...

Gray Blazer
06-04-2009, 13:30
Ok, I'll admit it, this is a smart ass reply. I must be over-caffeinated or something today.

If you can't find your way to the freakin' trailhead...

I see you chewed through your restraints already.

Bad Co
06-04-2009, 18:59
I just asked a simple question Deadeye
I have seem some worse on the forum
Thought I could get a shortcut to it by folks in the know
Hope it makes you feel good to give a smart ass remark
You were probally talking when it was taught in kindergarden that
if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all

Ron Haven
06-04-2009, 19:19
ThanksBad Co I see you are coming from Greenville,SC and if you come south on I-85 to exit 147 and go north on US 52 to Dahlonega.As you see by others there is 16 different ways to get to the Springer Parking lot and all people go a different route which all are good.;)

Bad Co
06-04-2009, 19:56
Thanks Ron Haven
that's was what I was trying to clarify
so many different ways
and also thanks to AWOL2003