PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness

dkay
06-03-2009, 21:45
Backpacked 26 days in the Canadian Rockies last summer with one food drop. Can Katahdin to Monson be done in 7 days? I have a limited time in June but would like to experience some of the more isolated A.T. Any suggestions are welcome.

Blissful
06-03-2009, 22:04
But the bugs will eat you alive from what I hear, so be prepared.

Phreak
06-03-2009, 22:43
I hiked Mt. K to Monson in 4 days in '07. The mosquitoes were horrible during my hike (late June).

warraghiyagey
06-03-2009, 22:53
Kathadin to Monson in 7 days is movin right along but it can be done. . . the bugs are WAAAAAAAAAYYY over publicised. . . 100% DEET keeps them at bay. . . . enjoy!:sun:sun:sun
Call Shaw's in Monson if you need any help.:):)

peakbagger
06-03-2009, 23:25
You mentioned that you wanted to experience a "remote" section of the AT, The 100 mile "wilderness" is a fantastic place but it is intersected by logging roads at least every day. North of Shenadoahs, the most remote section as defined by no road crossings, public or private, is the section from Hogan Road in Shelburne NH to Rt 26 in Grafton Notch ME, which is three to 4 day section. Note that hiking anywhere in Maine or northern NH in June is real buggy so dont expect to avoid them.

TJ aka Teej
06-04-2009, 06:40
GAMErs often complete that section in seven days/six nights or less.

Jeff
06-04-2009, 09:00
If your 100 mile wilderness hike includes a weekend, be prepared to meet and greet lots of day, weekend hikers. Nice folks, but definitely not wilderness.

MattBuck30
06-04-2009, 09:18
We completed the 100 mile wilderness in 5 days last yr, so it can definitely be done. Would recommend taking your time and enjoying it tho.

garlic08
06-04-2009, 10:01
As all the others above have said, yes it can certainly be done. It's nice trail in there for the most part. I remember only one tough half day, about 10 miles of muddy rocks. I did that stretch in five days, including two easy half-days, and most of it was really nice walking. I was there in early July on a wet year with a late Spring, and the bugs weren't awful, but you did have to reckon with them.

Rockhound
06-04-2009, 11:21
I'll be in the 100 miles late July/early August. Hopefully the bug season will have peaked by then. As for Deet, I would not put anything on my skin that melts plastic. Deet is Bad. Worse than bugs. Stay away from the stuff.

Tinker
06-04-2009, 23:56
I did it last Sept. as an out of shape (somewhat) section hiker - 8 days not rushing.

KevinAce
06-06-2009, 11:05
I did it last Sept. as an out of shape (somewhat) section hiker - 8 days not rushing.Check out new repellents with Picaridin. Many studies show it to be more effective, less harmful (no eating away at plastic), and without an odor. I just bought some for my trip to Africa coming up...and am hoping it works (not a big fan of malaria).

Alli
06-06-2009, 12:03
Check out new repellents with Picaridin. Many studies show it to be more effective, less harmful (no eating away at plastic), and without an odor. I just bought some for my trip to Africa coming up...and am hoping it works (not a big fan of malaria).

If you're going to a place with malaria I would definitely recommend taking malaria pills before you go... You've probably already looked in to it but if not they're relatively cheap and extremely effective.

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 12:08
I'll be in the 100 miles late July/early August. Hopefully the bug season will have peaked by then. As for Deet, I would not put anything on my skin that melts plastic. Deet is Bad. Worse than bugs. Stay away from the stuff.
DEET 100% works. . . :sun

michaelpeterson
06-06-2009, 12:37
Sounds like fun! Worth all the hassles I believe. :)

Sidewinder
06-06-2009, 12:40
DEET 100% works. . . :sun

Yes it does, but don't spray it on your prosthetic leg, you'll make that mistake only once ;)

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 19:06
Sounds like fun! Worth all the hassles I believe. :)

There are no hassles. . . . the hassles are the life NOT hiking the 100 mile. . . :)

Yes it does, but don't spray it on your prosthetic leg, you'll make that mistake only once ;)

Dude. . . . why would you spray it on your prosthetic leg anyway. . . . that doesn't make the tiniest bit of sense. . . .

Sidewinder
06-06-2009, 21:30
Dude. . . . why would you spray it on your prosthetic leg anyway. . . . that doesn't make the tiniest bit of sense. . . .

Dude, if I had Deet way back in the day, I wouldn't have a prosthetic leg. Sometimes when I spray Deet on my good leg the spray drifts in the wind and gets all over everything. I usually lean against a tree for balance when I spray, even then I'm a little wobbly and the over spray...well you know, I just don't have a good leg to stand on any more, between Deet eating up one and bugs eating up the other, you don't want to inhale Deet either, brain damage, trust me on that one.

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 21:49
Dude, if I had Deet way back in the day, I wouldn't have a prosthetic leg. Sometimes when I spray Deet on my good leg the spray drifts in the wind and gets all over everything. I usually lean against a tree for balance when I spray, even then I'm a little wobbly and the over spray...well you know, I just don't have a good leg to stand on any more, between Deet eating up one and bugs eating up the other, you don't want to inhale Deet either, brain damage, trust me on that one.
Sidewinder. . . I really apologize for that last post. . . . good for you for hikin on the way you do. . . . I can't imagine the extra challenge. . . . you rock:):sun. . . . again, I'm very sorry for what I said. . . . have a great hike dude. . . . .:sun

Sidewinder
06-06-2009, 21:54
Sidewinder. . . I really apologize for that last post. . . . good for you for hikin on the way you do. . . . I can't imagine the extra challenge. . . . you rock:):sun. . . . again, I'm very sorry for what I said. . . . have a great hike dude. . . . .:sun

Dude, don't loose any sleep over it, brain damage can happen to the best of us. I suspect you suffer from a little brain too.

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 21:55
Dude, don't loose any sleep over it, brain damage can happen to the best of us. I suspect you suffer from a little brain too.
True, but it happened when I was a baby and I don't blame my mom for it either. . . she had three other little ones and got distracted. . . . .

Kanati
06-06-2009, 21:57

That's why you are a.....True Warraghiyagey.......like the rest of us you err, but quick to make amends......You also rock!!!!:sun

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 21:59
That's why you are a.....True Warraghiyagey.......like the rest of us you err, but quick to make amends......You also rock!!!!:sun
Thanks Kanati. . . . it's still embarassing though when I post without considering what someone's story might be. . . . I thought Sidewinder might be a dick but he seems like a pretty cool dude. . . . maybe if I reign it in a little I could be too. . . . :)

Sidewinder
06-06-2009, 22:01
True, but it happened when I was a baby and I don't blame my mom for it either. . . she had three other little ones and got distracted. . . . .

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/funny-pictures-cat-cannot-brain-today.jpg

knicksin2010
06-07-2009, 00:09
Backpacked 26 days in the Canadian Rockies last summer with one food drop. Can Katahdin to Monson be done in 7 days? I have a limited time in June but would like to experience some of the more isolated A.T. Any suggestions are welcome.Yes, many have done it in 7 days. Others have done it much faster and slower. Suggestion: wait till August.

Kanati
06-07-2009, 21:56
Hey, I have a question about the 100 mile wilderness. What is there to eat at the north end of it. I don't have a problem carrying enough food to make it thru but the thought hit me......then what?

I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread...

warraghiyagey
06-07-2009, 22:34
Hey, I have a question about the 100 mile wilderness. What is there to eat at the north end of it. I don't have a problem carrying enough food to make it thru but the thought hit me......then what?

You either pick up something at Abol Bridge store - right before you enter Baxter SP or you get something when you get to Millinocket. . . :)

boarstone
06-08-2009, 09:25
Backpacked 26 days in the Canadian Rockies last summer with one food drop. Can Katahdin to Monson be done in 7 days? I have a limited time in June but would like to experience some of the more isolated A.T. Any suggestions are welcome.

Head net, head net, head net.....unless you like your protein on the "fly":D

earlyriser26
06-08-2009, 09:56
I attempted this hike in mid-june years ago and turned back after the first day. It was a feeding frenzy with me as the main course. When I try it again it will be sept or oct. If you must go in june bring a gallon of deet and a head net.

DavidNH
06-08-2009, 10:14
1) sure it can be done in seven days. AT thru hikers do it all the time. You best be in shape and don't plan on much in way of breaks. All those inviting ponds for swimming? forget it. You got miles to make.

2) I have never been in that part of Maine in June. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the mud and the bugs that time of year. For my money, September is the time to go.

David

dcynewski
06-24-2009, 22:02
Plan to do 100 mile wilderness first week of August - Northound - Monson to Abol Bridge - We only have 7 days to finish it - any of you that have done it in 7 or less northbound - do you have a history of how far you went each day - looks like first half is rather hilly and 2nd half is rather flat.

Tinker
06-24-2009, 22:35

Moral: NEVER juggle babies (at least more than three at a time) :D;).

CrumbSnatcher
06-24-2009, 22:40
Plan to do 100 mile wilderness first week of August - Northound - Monson to Abol Bridge - We only have 7 days to finish it - any of you that have done it in 7 or less northbound - do you have a history of how far you went each day - looks like first half is rather hilly and 2nd half is rather flat.
some nobo's do it in 3 1/2 days! some a little slower, some real slow they don't want the journey to end:( northbound once you get past white cap mtn. your on the home stretch.______________________flat.

Uncle Tom
06-25-2009, 07:50
Not this June. That section of Maine has received over 6.5 inches of rain so far this year, just in JUne and more is predicted for tonight. The mud will be constant, humidity unbearable, and the stream crossings cold and high. Wait till later.

CrumbSnatcher
06-25-2009, 09:04
i thought he said aug. not june? should be alright by then?

Airblazer
06-25-2009, 10:13
Hey Warraghiyagey!

Since I am getting laid off... I want to do the 100 mile starting in Baxter on or around Aug 5th. Where you gonna be then? I am thinking if I survive & want to keep going, I'll have my BF meet me in Monson with the pups and maybe continue for several more weeks. Maybe I can do the whole ME stretch this summer... it may be my only opportunity to do a section hike for that long.

Shutterbug
06-25-2009, 16:41

You may have found your answer on another thread -- at the north end of the 100 Mile Wilderness, there is a small general store where you can get something to eat. It is right by the Abol Bridge.

RockDoc
06-28-2009, 00:00
That's the campground office/store for Abol campground. Pretty shody selection, often picked clean by ravenous hikers. But they do have some candy, ice cream, junk food, slim jims, etc. I wouldn't call it a resupply depot, more of a snack stop.

BTW you can get a nifty shower there, just waltz into the campground as if you owned the place. All you need is a few quarters. You don't have to be a camper. At least I got away with it. :D

Regarding this thread, I wouldn't call the 100 mile "isolated". There are huge groups that head in there. You can hear the racket for miles. If you want isolated, go to Saddleback or Sugarloaf. Maybe even the Bigelows during weekdays. But the 100 can be noisy and crowded! Its a worse problem than the bugs IMO.

weary
06-28-2009, 08:56

Plastic people should certainly avoid DEET. The rest of us will be okay.

Weary

aufgahoban
06-28-2009, 09:25
I'm impressed with you guys.. No Michael Jackson/deet jokes... :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. RIP Michael.

Rockhound
06-28-2009, 09:41
lemme see here. 114 divided by 7 = a little over 16 miles a day. I'm sure you have already done this math and this whole thread is really just a thinly veiled attempt to say to a bunch of strangers, "Wow aint I special? I hiked in the Rockies while carrying 2 weeks worth of food at a time". Well you know what? I hiked in Newark while carrying 3 weeks worth of food. How's that for livin' dangerously?

Rockhound
06-28-2009, 09:44
Sorry Dkay. Just saw it was your first post. welcome and just beware of some of our more wise apple posters. You should have no problem carrying enough food to get you through the 100 miles.