PDA

View Full Version : how to gain weight

gravy4601
06-03-2009, 21:53
I'm 140 lbs 5'10" for monthes ive been trying to gain weight with everything from high Calories,high protein ,Fast food and nothing seems to work i even eat right before bed and exercise anyone have an idea i havent tryed :confused:

LaurieAnn
06-03-2009, 21:56
How about dietary supplements such as Ensure in addition to those high calorie meals? Sorry I am not much help... I generally have the opposite problem and weight seems to find me a little too easily.

vamelungeon
06-03-2009, 22:06
Beer.
And age.

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2009, 22:23
Beer, age, more posts, less hikes.

humunuku
06-03-2009, 22:25
eat a lot of pizza, donuts and cup cakes, drink a lot of beer and don't exercise. if calories in in greater than calories out, you will most likely gain weight.

warraghiyagey
06-03-2009, 22:58
Ditch the tapeworm. . . .

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2009, 23:03
ouch warg!

warraghiyagey
06-03-2009, 23:04
Just sayin. . . .

Pokey2006
06-03-2009, 23:25
Careful what you wish for. I used to be skinny skinny skinny. I ate entire cheesecakes, hoping to gain weight. I'd give anything now to take it back...

If you want to gain weight, go on a long-distance hike. Then, wait six months. That ought to do the trick.

Dogwood
06-03-2009, 23:35
Perhaps, you don't remember spikey haired Susan Powter's Infocommercial - "fat makes you fat."

Jo-To
06-04-2009, 00:07
Hang out with me for 2 weeks...i dont even have to eat bad and the weight seems to find me!

sarbar
06-04-2009, 00:08
An office job with 50 to 70 hour work weeks, under fluorescent lighting in a tiny cubicle. You'll be heading for the middle age 24 pack cooler in no time! Bonus weight gain if you have a boss who is mentally unstable :D

Mags
06-04-2009, 01:52
I'm 140 lbs 5'10" for monthes ive been trying to gain weight with everything from high Calories,high protein ,Fast food and nothing seems to work i even eat right before bed and exercise anyone have an idea i havent tryed :confused:

Listen to the experts on this site and don't do a damn thing before a hike. Exercise is apparently over-rated. :D

Bad Co
06-04-2009, 03:56
chocolate syrup

bluffhead
06-04-2009, 04:01
take weight gainer, supplement, eat 5-8 meals a day and drink weight gainer between meals. dont eat all uhnhealthy your colesteral (cant spell) will sky rocket

fredmugs
06-04-2009, 08:59
Once you make it past the magical age of 30 you'll gain weight as your metabolism slows. The best way to gain weight at your age is weight lifting and consuming protein. You need to lift with the purpose of gaining muscle mass which means higher weights for lower reps (say 5 -7 reps instead of 10 - 12).

Do not consume junk food to gain weight. You will open yourself up to medical problems like high cholesterol and diabetes.

saimyoji
06-04-2009, 09:26
ok i'll say it: why aren't you satisfied with the body the good lord gave you? you want to take a beautiful example of God's love and pervert it by trying to "bulk up?" Blasphemy!! :eek:

jrnj5k
06-04-2009, 09:29
Lets start by you giving us an idea of what a typical day looks like for you in regards to exercise and nutrition. This will help to give me an idea of where to make recommendations.

garlic08
06-04-2009, 09:53

I'm 5'9", 150 lbs and 52 years old, so don't believe everyone who says you'll automatically bulk up at age 30. I just finished a career as a firefighter, too, so bulk isn't everything you need to succeed. Accept your body type (ectomorph) and work with it. You can be thin and strong. It's a wiry strength, but it works. Aerobic endurance can be way more important than muscle bulk, too.

If you do ever manage to gain weight, it will probably be as side-mounted bulges (love handles) that aren't that attractive, anyway.

kyhipo
06-04-2009, 10:02
I'm 140 lbs 5'10" for monthes ive been trying to gain weight with everything from high Calories,high protein ,Fast food and nothing seems to work i even eat right before bed and exercise anyone have an idea i havent tryed :confused:eat two peanut butter and banana sandwinches at night before you go to bed!might help:-?ky

JAK
06-04-2009, 10:53
Why would you want to gain weight?
Nothing wrong with 140# for 5'10". Just eat healthy and stay active.

If you want more strength, train for more strength, not for more bulk.
Make sure you are getting enough protien though, so you don't sell yourself short.
Go for function, form will follow.

take-a-knee
06-04-2009, 10:57
Get the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, read it thoroughly and start lifting according to his program. Research the Zone Diet (It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle) and follow Rips' advice and drink one gallon of milk every day. You'll gain weight and most of it will be muscle.

jrnj5k
06-04-2009, 11:10
A gallon of milk a day......wow

JAK
06-04-2009, 11:33
I am very big on milk also. Great stuff.

To lose 1 pound of muscle (75% water) and 3 pounds of fat (10% water) you need to undereat/overexercise by 450g+3x3500g = ~11,000 kcal which takes about 2 weeks for most people.

To gain 1 pound of muscle takes about 400g of excess protien, because your body is only 25% efficient at converting extra protien into muscle, and even then only if it really wants to. So you need to stimulate the muscle with exercise, and you need to fuel that exercise as well. So for a pound of muscle you need an extra 60g of protien, plus an extra 500 kcal/day of protien/carbs/fat to fuel the exercise and repair the muscle, maybe more. Some bodies need more stimulation than others. Some bodies respond by building bulk without much more strength, others by gaining strength without much more bulk, and others seem content to simply gain more muscle endurance and recovery without gaining much strength or bulk. It can be frustrating if your body is one type and you want to make it another. It helps if you enjoy whatever it is that you are doing to try and get there, and you will get somewhere eventually.

JAK
06-04-2009, 11:41
I read somewhere that when men win at a sport, or a fight, their testosterone level goes up, and when they lose it goes down. Interestingly when women compete it goes up win or lose, but not as much. Anyhow, I think the point is that it helps to stimulate certain hormones psycologically as well as physically. I think a little spring fever helps also, so this is a good time of year for strength training I think. Do something that is physically stimulating that you can win at, and it doesn't hurt if some good looking ladies are watching. Winning might be just a personal best, it doesn't have to be a world record, but it needs to impress you, and make you think that others are impressed also, even if their not. What they actually think will always be a mystery anyway. Good hunting.

saimyoji
06-04-2009, 11:45
Accept what you've been provided by the almighty. Only sinful heathens would seek to obscure the perfection of His creations. Accept his love, accept yourself.

World-Wide
06-04-2009, 11:48

I'm from Chicago and it seems that the friend's of mine who married traditional Polish women (great cooks by the way! :p) packed on the most weight over the year's! Could be marriage, or could be the great home-cooked dining? :-? Maybe "White Castle's?" (previous thread!)

flemdawg1
06-04-2009, 12:52
Protein weight gain powder.

http://www.chafee.net/TR/cartman19.jpg

Deadeye
06-04-2009, 12:55
I don't see the problem here. My driver's license used to say 6', 145#.

Used to say.

JAK
06-04-2009, 13:18
I'm somewhat concerned about estrogen levels in milk. Skim milk is supposed to have lower free estrogens, but still lots of other stuff. I'm not sure what all that means, but I stick with skim milk for the most part, 1-2 litres per day. I use egg whites as a big source of protien also. Alot of my protiens still come from grains and legumes and fruits and vegetables though. Milk and eggs just boosts the ratio. I have a big meat or fish feed once a week also, on Friday/Saturday. I'm keeping my fats low while losing weight, but I'm doing alot of exercise mostly running but also some light weight circuit training, and keeping my protien intake up to try and gain/maintain strength while losing fat. I am down 25 pounds over 3 months, but I know I could gain it all back in a month if I wanted to. Don't want to. Now at 200 pounds I'm focusing more on fitness and muscle retention, perhaps even gain, but I am still planning on losing weight as I still have alot of fat to burn. I want to get back down to a 32" waist and 12% body fat, which according to this would occur at 170 pounds, which would be a good running/hiking weight for me and still allow some room for upper body strength. I am now 25% fat, with a 40" waist, but down from 45".

JAK
06-04-2009, 13:24
Just a theory, but I think a big reason most older folks can gain weight back so easily is because of our highly developed digestive tracts. We need to give them time to atrophy.

The reverse of that is some younger leaner folks haven't developed their digestive tracts yet. It takes time, but be careful what you wish for. ;)

jrnj5k
06-04-2009, 13:37
Accept what you've been provided by the almighty. Only sinful heathens would seek to obscure the perfection of His creations. Accept his love, accept yourself.

So your saying people who are 50lbs overweight should accept it. Is that the what "the almighty" gave them. Come on.....

CowHead
06-04-2009, 14:08
get a job the requires you to sit 7 hours a day don't eat right or exercise and in time you'll gain weight, on the other hand at 50 weighting in at 360 and started walking hiking and eating right I'm now at 210 and hope to be 185 by year-end

saimyoji
06-04-2009, 16:23
So your saying people who are 50lbs overweight should accept it. Is that the what "the almighty" gave them. Come on.....

Who are you to say who is "overweight?" Do you mock those who may not fit the body form that you think is so perfect? For shame. :( The lord has his eye on you my son. I will pray for you now. :)

jrnj5k
06-04-2009, 16:38
rightttttt. shame shame shame:rolleyes:

Petr
06-04-2009, 17:11
While I think Saimyoji's post was tongue-in-cheek (?), the fact is that obesity is as bad for you as smoking, and at this point more prevalent and more socially acceptable. If you're fat, you're fat and you probably know it and it has nothing to do with "society" telling you what's pretty. If you care about your health, you'll do something about it. And, that something is boring old diet and exercise.

While I'm a bit skeptical of his grasp of the details of physiology, JAK's recommendations and general viewpoint are right on. And, as an aside, I'd like to say that his brand of armchair philosophy is wonderfully entertaining and thought-provoking.

As far as the OP goes, I'm in a similar quandary. I'm almost 6'0 and weigh about 160. However, it's a pretty unhealthy 160 in that I have almost no muscle tone and the vague hint of love handles propped up by a small frame. After becoming recently single after a long relationship, I've been working on converting my love handle mass to seductive chest and abdominal muscle mass (with little success). As mentioned above, the only real way to accomplish this is with weight/calisthenic training combined with a diet of lean protein, complex carbs, and fruits/veggies. I'm trying to alternate between weights and aerobic stuff just because my appetite goes crazy when I become more active and I want to burn off some calories. Anyway, I'd suggest to the OP to change his goal to changing his fat/muscle ratio and maintain the same or slightly larger weight. I suspect that he wants to "stockpile" fuel reserves for a long hike, which is not nearly as good of a plan as starting out trim and eating properly while on the trail.

Spogatz
06-04-2009, 19:31
How to gain weight....

Follow me around and eat what I eat....That should do the trick!!!

Blissful
06-04-2009, 19:43
It never hurts to get a physical either and make sure everything is okay.

saimyoji
06-04-2009, 19:59
While I think Saimyoji's post was tongue-in-cheek

that is obscene. now i pray for you too.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-04-2009, 20:04
Eat yeast. It taste like crap but it throws weight on. It takes 16 grams of protein to add one pound of muscle. Also lots of cabs for your body to burn up fast will help the calories and proteins you want to keep on your body there

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-04-2009, 20:05
BTW I was 137 for years now I am 200 looking to drop back to 180. I am not fat either I have a 32 inch waist

sarbar
06-05-2009, 10:38
BTW I was 137 for years now I am 200 looking to drop back to 180. I am not fat either I have a 32 inch waist
Then why lose it? If it is muscle weight, there is no reason to lose it. If you are happy with your pant size, why diet? Is 180 a number you have to be at?

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 11:16
Then why lose it? If it is muscle weight, there is no reason to lose it. If you are happy with your pant size, why diet? Is 180 a number you have to be at?
I am 5 foot 8 and I liked how I felt and looked at 185 better than I feel and look at 200. Actually I am at 194.8 now lol

CowHead
06-05-2009, 11:17

Your fat for all the great deals you get :)

gravy4601
06-07-2009, 14:07
yeah i'm going to get a membership to a local gym and i just bought some weight gainer i'll be mixing it with milk hope this works thanks all :)

jrnj5k
06-08-2009, 13:31
Buy some extra TP

World-Wide
06-08-2009, 13:54

Top 10 ways to gain weight! (get fat) Good luck! :confused: http://www.fithacks.com/index.php/2007/08/16/top-10-ways-to-get-fat/

fiddlehead
06-08-2009, 17:00

The average peson in the states is overweight and eating french fries and ice cream.

The average Thai person looks healthy, cares what they look like and eats good, healthy food.

It has nothing to do with creation. (read Darwin or Wallace)

Jayboflavin04
06-10-2009, 09:48
I have always been thin and had a hard time gaining weight. I am 33 6' and 165lbs. A couple years back I started eating healther. I dropped to 148lbs. I didnt even know this till I visited the doc. He didnt seemed very concerned he told me "that was were my body wanted to be at"

I have tried lifting, and have even had a hard time gaining. I wanna be rock climber fit. Those guys aren't "BIG" ...they are toned to the max. Basically I am saying what Garilic said.

When I lost all that weight...we always joked about a tapeworm.

Jayboflavin04
06-10-2009, 09:51
The average peson in the states is overweight and eating french fries and ice cream.

The average Thai person looks healthy, cares what they look like and eats good, healthy food.

The #1 vegetable consumed by children in the USA is "French Fries".....pretty sad. I am starting to adopt a heathier lifestyle. If it means I am 150lbs the rest of my life so be it. My heart and body will love me for it.

saimyoji
06-10-2009, 10:08
The #1 vegetable consumed by children in the USA is "French Fries".....pretty sad. I am starting to adopt a heathier lifestyle. If it means I am 150lbs the rest of my life so be it. My heart and body will love me for it.

don't forget the ketchup that goes with the fries....ketchup is tomatoes :)

saimyoji
06-10-2009, 10:12

Blasphemer. The almighty will strike you dead for your heresy. Those heathens you speak of don't even have the faith. Idolatry is all they know. Its not too late for you, friend. Repent; the end is nigh. :dance

Reid
06-10-2009, 10:52
eat two peanut butter and banana sandwinches at night before you go to bed!might help:-?ky

yummy, put some mayo on there too though

Reid
06-10-2009, 13:02
Top 10 ways to gain weight! (get fat) Good luck! :confused: http://www.fithacks.com/index.php/2007/08/16/top-10-ways-to-get-fat/

That made it sound like putting on some pounds was a bad thing. Gaining that kind of weight is definetly a bad thing but for some of us I think it could be a good thing. I need a few more pounds myself. It's funny, we live in a society that regards physical prowess above intellect when in all actuality intellect as a human being is our only real form of self defense. Consuming empty calories like those are bad, but there are good forms of fat too though.

Mags
06-10-2009, 13:16
That made it sound like putting on some pounds was a bad thing.

When the obesity rate has climbed..generally speaking putting on weight is not a good thing.

Jayboflavin04
06-11-2009, 09:16
If you folks haven't watched that documentary "Super Size Me"....check it out. You can watch it free on Hulu.

fiddlehead
06-11-2009, 09:24
Blasphemer. The almighty will strike you dead for your heresy. Those heathens you speak of don't even have the faith. Idolatry is all they know. Its not too late for you, friend. Repent; the end is nigh. :dance

Wasn't Darwin a Christian minister earlier in his life?
And i think his uncle of grandfather was too. (foggy memory back to the days when i studied this)

I bet he heard a bit of the same from those with blinders on too.

ps. My (Thai) wife had to go to the local temple today to get some protection from ghosts because she watched an American horror movie last night!

World-Wide
06-11-2009, 10:22
That made it sound like putting on some pounds was a bad thing. Gaining that kind of weight is definetly a bad thing but for some of us I think it could be a good thing. I need a few more pounds myself. It's funny, we live in a society that regards physical prowess above intellect when in all actuality intellect as a human being is our only real form of self defense. Consuming empty calories like those are bad, but there are good forms of fat too though.

I was hoping the top 10 list I provided would steer him away from making the wrong decisions! :)

Reid
06-11-2009, 10:46
Wasn't Darwin a Christian minister earlier in his life?
And i think his uncle of grandfather was too. (foggy memory back to the days when i studied this)

I bet he heard a bit of the same from those with blinders on too.

ps. My (Thai) wife had to go to the local temple today to get some protection from ghosts because she watched an American horror movie last night!

Saimyoji was just mocking the word, that's all.

Shubu
06-12-2009, 15:06
Go buy a big container of True Mass from GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. Extra 1k calories a day from the shakes will guarantee some weight gain. Also, NEVER let yourself feel hungry throughout the day. Get Cliff Bars, Nature Valley Bars, and poptarts. At the end of Nov 2008, when I started going to the gym I weighed 150 (6' 1"). Two months after taking true mass I'd gained 20 lbs, and still had single digit body fat %. You really have to be consistent. I thought I ate a lot before I actually committed myself to it, and now realize I didn't.

Shubu
06-12-2009, 15:09

God hasn't controlled what this guy has eaten his entire life. It was his choice, and now it's his choice to gain more.

Shubu
06-12-2009, 15:15
Who are you to say who is "overweight?" Do you mock those who may not fit the body form that you think is so perfect? For shame. :( The lord has his eye on you my son. I will pray for you now. :)

Being overweight is actually unhealthy. Are you saying God would make you unhealthy?

Please say a prayer that my amputee Grandfather regains his legs. ;)

JAK
06-12-2009, 15:20
20 pounds of muscle intake in 60 days seems alot, but only requires an excess protien uptake of 112 grams per pound, or about 37 extra grams per day in this case because muscle is 75% water. The tricky part is in convincing your body that it should absorb that extra protien, and turn it into 20 pounds of muscle, and not 2.5 pounds of fat, or just pissing or crapping it out. That's where you need to eat about 3 times that, so an extra 120g per day, plus some extra carbs in order to lift the weights, an extra 120g in carbs maybe. Still, your body has to want to build the muscle.

It takes muscle to build muscle, so results might be slow at first.
If all else fails, you can still be a runner like me.

jrnj5k
06-12-2009, 15:33
20lbs of muscle in 60days is genetically impossible even with the use of steroids.

JAK
06-12-2009, 15:38
Well that helps my ego somewhat. I'll bet its been done though, say in cases where large men already with alot of muscle have temporarily lost it, and then gain it back. New muscle is alot tougher I think. Not sure. I know woman gain an amazing amount of muscle in certain places before they give birth. In that specific instance, and specialized area of the anatomy, they put male body builders to shame.

Shubu
06-12-2009, 15:39
20lbs of muscle in 60days is genetically impossible even with the use of steroids.
I weighed 150 at the end of November. After 2 containers of true mass (1 lasts a month) I weight 170. Trainers measured my body fat, and it turned out to be 6%. I now weigh ~178 but it's gone up 1%. Used other supplements, but no steroids =P.

jrnj5k
06-12-2009, 15:49
I weighed 150 at the end of November. After 2 containers of true mass (1 lasts a month) I weight 170. Trainers measured my body fat, and it turned out to be 6%. I now weigh ~178 but it's gone up 1%. Used other supplements, but no steroids =P.

where do i find true mass? is it next to the mircale water at gnc? Just kidding thats impressive.

ithai
07-10-2009, 13:54
adopt a lifestyle of a couch potato :)