PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the bugs

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-03-2009, 23:26
During my last hike I noticed that the ticks were out in forces I have not seen before. I did some research and I think I may have a solution. Phenothrin is a strong pesticide that kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. It will last on skin about 1 month or until you bathe.
The cons are while being tested it was discovered that when animals took it orally (your supposed to put it on the skin) 500 mg daily over a 6 month period, some animals experienced hair loss, tremors, and some cats died. I have been getting it on my hands for years, and did not know about any potential for reaction. Since I am not susceptible, I plan on using it on my next hike, applying a fresh coat after each shower. I am going to be using 85.7%.
For those of you who do not know what Phenothrin is, it is the active ingredient in Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Drops.
Has anyone else tried this?

ChinMusic
06-03-2009, 23:34
During my last hike I noticed that the ticks were out in forces I have not seen before. I did some research and I think I may have a solution. Phenothrin is a strong pesticide that kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes. It will last on skin about 1 month or until you bathe.

Good Lord, no, no, no.

Permethrin is to be used on CLOTHING and on the clothing while it is NOT being worn. Once the clothing dries it is effective for up to 6 weeks.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-03-2009, 23:37
Good Lord, no, no, no.

Permethrin is to be used on CLOTHING and on the clothing while it is NOT being worn. Once the clothing dries it is effective for up to 6 weeks.
It is widely used on humans world wide for lice and crabs with no adverse reactions. Not on the clothes, on the skin head to toe. In all studies the only adverse reactions were found in small animals who took it orally.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-03-2009, 23:38
Adding it to my clothes as well is probably a good idea though

ChinMusic
06-03-2009, 23:40
My bad

I read "Permethrin". Nevermind, sorry.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-03-2009, 23:43
I have never heard of it being used to prevent ticks on hikers. Most people don't go a week without bathing like we do lol.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-03-2009, 23:44
What's permethrin?

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-03-2009, 23:45
Looked it up, that stuff sounds awesome for my clothes!!!!

Snowleopard
06-04-2009, 00:06
Permethrin on clothes seems much less problematic than using stuff on your skin. The US military uses permethrin on clothing and a time release version of DEET on exposed skin. You're basically planning on having this stuff on your skin constantly while you're hiking for an extended time. Doesn't seem wise to me.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-04-2009, 00:30
Yeah it is a far cry from using it on the dog for months at a time and using it on myself, but I hate to think I would subject the dog to something I wouldn't use on myself lol

ChinMusic
06-04-2009, 00:45
...I hate to think I would subject the dog to something I wouldn't use on myself lol
Alpo????? :D

The Mechanical Man
06-04-2009, 00:52
Yeah it is a far cry from using it on the dog for months at a time and using it on myself, but I hate to think I would subject the dog to something I wouldn't use on myself lol

Could "Frontline Plus" safetly be used as a suppository for humans?

I have a real hard time applying it between my shoulder blades, as directed. :D

mkmangold
06-04-2009, 00:53
Good Lord, no, no, no.

Or six washings. I used it with some trepidation this last weekend and it worked fine and I never developed a rash but I would NEVER put it directly on my skin.

ChinMusic
06-04-2009, 01:00
Or six washings. I used it with some trepidation this last weekend and it worked fine and I never developed a rash but I would NEVER put it directly on my skin.
6 week or 6 washes per directions.

IMO, I would retreat after a month (or sooner if convenient) on a thru. I have nothing to back that up but think the significant sweating, use, abuse, etc would shorten the effective time.

The Mechanical Man
06-04-2009, 01:08

How do you know it was the pymethren, and not the trepidation, that made it work fine?
Or, is the amount of trepidation that is applied, the all important factor? :-?

CowHead
06-04-2009, 06:46
to bad the lime vaccine had so many side effects and two there was no market for it

callook66
06-05-2009, 06:34
i usually set myself on fire. bugs HATE fire.

amac
06-06-2009, 05:13
It is widely used on humans world wide for lice and crabs with no adverse reactions. Not on the clothes, on the skin head to toe. In all studies the only adverse reactions were found in small animals who took it orally.

Phoenixdadeadhead,
So I'm already a believer in using Permethrin on clothing (and hammock). Does "it" in your quote refer to using Permethrin or Phenothrin directly on skin? I would be very happy to find an alternative to DEET.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-06-2009, 11:38
Phenothrin, also known as sumithrin, is a synthetic pyrethroid. It is an insecticide registered for use against mosquitoes in swamps, and recreational areas. Phenothrin can be used to kill pests in aircrafts, ships, railroad cars and truck trailers, and for institutional non-food use. It can be used in homes, gardens, greenhouses and on pets (EPA 2005). Phenothrin is also formulated in powders, shampoos, and lotions to control human lice. In addition, it is used to protect stored grains. Racemic phenothrin was first synthesized in 1969 and is a mixture of four stereoisomers. d-Phenothrin is the 1:4 mixture of the [1R, cis] and [1R, trans] isomers and has been in use since 1977. d-Phenothrin is currently the only technical product commercially available (WHO 1990). Phenothrin breaks down rapidly in the environment and is expected to pose little risk to humans when used at low concentrations for mosquito control (EPA 2005).

warraghiyagey
06-06-2009, 19:14
I wear the Hartz 2 and 1 Plus collar. . . . never had a problem with ticks or fleas. . . .

World-Wide
06-07-2009, 02:46
The cons are while being tested it was discovered that when animals took it orally (your supposed to put it on the skin) 500 mg daily over a 6 month period, some animals experienced hair loss, tremors, and some cats died. I have been getting it on my hands for years, and did not know about any potential for reaction. Since I am not susceptible, I plan on using it on my next hike, applying a fresh coat after each shower. I am going to be using 85.7%.
For those of you who do not know what Phenothrin is, it is the active ingredient in Hartz Ultra Guard Flea & Tick Drops.
Has anyone else tried this?

I tried it for about a month. Kinda bogged me down a bit and had a wierd skin rash all over! No bugs came near me. People either? :-? Didn't want to scare anyone, I didn't grow a hunch-back, that's my pack under my rain jacket!

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/2/2a/Hermi_Odle.jpg/250px-Hermi_Odle.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/File:Hermi_Odle.jpg)

Tin Man
06-07-2009, 03:07
I wear the Hartz 2 and 1 Plus collar. . . . never had a problem with ticks or fleas. . . .

my brother spotted a tick on him yesterday, so i stripped and checked. then some shouted, 'dude, it's national trails day. you got a couple of weeks until hike naked day'. damn, i hate when that happens. :o

Tin Man
06-07-2009, 03:11

the last time i wore a hartz collar i started barking at the moon, chasing cars, and licking myself. have they made improvements? :confused:

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2009, 10:46
Be very careful about applying permethrin to your skin. what is safe for pets is not safe for you.

The Good http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

The Bad http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/permethrin/cox-report/cox.htm

Where too get it. http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/permethrin?cm_mmc=ps_google_CH-_-Category%20-%20Camp%2fHike-_-Camping%2fHiking_Insect_Repellant_General-_-permethrin&mr:adGroup=352105145&mr:ad=2577700085&mr:keyword=permethrin&mr:referralID=NA&gclid=CKTF65qw-JoCFQOuFQodLX6keQ

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-07-2009, 11:45
I think I should start a new thread. We are discussing using phenothrin not permethrin

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-07-2009, 11:46
Phenothrin is also formulated in powders, shampoos, and lotions to control human lice

The Mechanical Man
06-09-2009, 00:53
Do they make it in suppository form, or what?
I just like putting things there. :eek:

Homer&Marje
06-09-2009, 05:11

While your walking do you have to include that in your pack weight?:-?:D

CowHead
06-09-2009, 06:57
While your walking do you have to include that in your pack weight?:-?:D

Thats a keeper! :D:banana

Hooch
06-09-2009, 08:44
I just like putting things there. :eek:We know. You've had your head there for some time. :eek::D:rolleyes::p

Homer&Marje
06-09-2009, 10:05
Thats a keeper! :D:banana

I'm always better just before dawn:D

kanga
06-09-2009, 12:07
that explains so very much

TIDE-HSV
06-09-2009, 14:16
They are both pyrethroids - chemical cousins. The original compounds came from Chrysanthemums.

The Mechanical Man
06-10-2009, 23:38
We know. You've had your head there for some time. :eek::D:rolleyes::p

And your NOSE :D

AlabamaDan
06-30-2009, 15:26
Joking aside... what if you did put a flea/tick dog collar around your boots?

Surplusman
08-16-2009, 16:30
A couple I ran acoss in my hiking said that ticks hate powdered rosemary. They said they dusted their clothes and themselves with it (get it in the spice aisle at the store) and never had a problem with the nasty little critters.

Anybody ever heard of this? I sure never did. If it does work, it would be a cheap and non-toxic way to keep the ticks away. But I don't know first hand.

superman
08-16-2009, 17:01

I use an ice pick.:-?

slamajama
08-16-2009, 17:20
:eek: lmaooooo!