PDA

View Full Version : what sleeping bag rating?

bluffhead
06-04-2009, 06:39
if i start in march whats the coldest night temps in the mountains, i cant decide weither to buy a 45 degree or 30 or do i need warmer bag? any suggestions would be appreciated.
i thought i could use a cooler bag then if its hot just not use it or sleep on it.?
thanks.

World-Wide
06-04-2009, 07:42
if i start in march whats the coldest night temps in the mountains, i cant decide weither to buy a 45 degree or 30 or do i need warmer bag? any suggestions would be appreciated.
i thought i could use a cooler bag then if its hot just not use it or sleep on it.?
thanks.

Hey Bluffhead!
Didn't mean to thread over you, but I just started a "synthetic" or "down" in your sleeping bag thread. I spent several days looking at the pros and cons of the newest bags out there. There are bags that are rated for really low temps, but breathe like a summer bag. Some that allow you to crawl into your bag on a cold evening dripping with sweat after a long day's hike only to have the wicking technology absorb your clothes moisture and have you dry by morning. Some that are great for wet weather! There'a lot of of good stuff out there and the prices definitely vary in range. The folks here on WhiteBlaze will give you awesome info, but don't forget to do research for yourself! You'll utimately pay the price, either monetarily or out in the wild! :-?

MileMonster
06-04-2009, 08:01
First, I'm sure this question has been asked before so you're likely to find a lot of good info if you use the search function here in the forums.

The bag you need depends on 1) the weather the particular year you hike, 2) if you are a cold/warm sleeper, 3) other clothes you take. A thicker sleep pad helps, too, but who wants to carry that?

Every year is different, but starting in March you're likely to have some pretty chilly temps. I've seen single digits in the Smokies in Spring. I started March 9 in 2004 and we had many nights in the teens and several in the low teens. I'm a cold sleeper and since I was cold in a 20 degree bag, even with all my packed layers on, I'd say for a March shove-off don't start with anything rated warmer than 20. If you are a warm sleeper you might get away with slightly warmer, but I can't imagine a 45 degree working unless you have a particularly warm year. If you take few layers of warm clothes then you might sleep comfortably in warmer bag. But if you are taking extra clothes to use only if you are cold while you sleep, then you may as well take a colder bag. Hope that helps.

- MM.

10-K
06-05-2009, 15:48
Don't mean to muddy up the waters either but temperature ratings themselves are suspect IMO.

I've got two 20 degree bags, one is down the other is synthetic. To me, the down bag sleeps warmer than the synthetic - it's not even close really. In fact, I'd confidently take my 20 degree down bag on a trip when I knew the temps would be in the single digits if I had some thermals to wear too. I absolutely would not do that with the synthetic 20 degree bag.

bluffhead
06-05-2009, 15:57
thks think im gonna go with a down 20 degree bag. little conserned about it getting wet though.

bigcranky
06-05-2009, 15:58
Early March or late March?

I take my 30-F bag in the Southern AT most of March, but I'm a section hiker and can tailor my gear list to suit the weather conditions for the week I'll be on the trail. If there's a cold front coming through, I'd take my winter bag.

For a thru-hike, I'm not sure a 30F bag is warm enough to start. I'm absolutely sure a 45-F bag isn't warm enough, at least not for me. With the 30-F, if I have the right clothing, I can take it down pretty low, so it might be a good choice.

But plenty of hiker start in March with 10F or 20F bags. It can get cold all the way through April.

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 16:14
It is a little on the heavy side, but the Military sleep system is the best bag I have ever owned (for me). It is a 3 part system: A patrol bag (water resistant 40 degree), a cold weather bag (water resistant 30 degree), and a Bivy (water proof adds 10 degrees of protection). In the winter I need all 3, in the spring and fall I use the cold bag and bivy, and in the summer I use the patrol bag and bivy. The whole system can be purchased online for just over 100 dollars (with a lot of searching). I bought my first one new for 64 dollars, and I am a patrol bag short of another with only 11 dollars spent so far. You can buy a better bag, but I like the durabillity, versatillity, and very important, the price of this setup.
The only 2 things I don't like about this, are the weight (around 10 pounds total) and it doesn't compress as well as other bags (all 3 together pack my sleeping bag compartment so tight I can barely zip it closed). Other than that great sytem.

10-K
06-05-2009, 16:42
thks think im gonna go with a down 20 degree bag. little conserned about it getting wet though.

I bought a gortex bivy for my down bag (both made by Mont Bell). Works great at keeping the bag dry (and clean) in wet shelters and I'm sure it adds some warmth.

garlic08
06-05-2009, 20:20
I started in April and had several nights in the teens with blowing snow. Definitely go with the 20F down bag.

World-Wide
06-06-2009, 02:18
It is a little on the heavy side, but the Military sleep system is the best bag I have ever owned (for me). It is a 3 part system: A patrol bag (water resistant 40 degree), a cold weather bag (water resistant 30 degree), and a Bivy (water proof adds 10 degrees of protection). In the winter I need all 3, in the spring and fall I use the cold bag and bivy, and in the summer I use the patrol bag and bivy. The whole system can be purchased online for just over 100 dollars (with a lot of searching). I bought my first one new for 64 dollars, and I am a patrol bag short of another with only 11 dollars spent so far. You can buy a better bag, but I like the durabillity, versatillity, and very important, the price of this setup.
The only 2 things I don't like about this, are the weight (around 10 pounds total) and it doesn't compress as well as other bags (all 3 together pack my sleeping bag compartment so tight I can barely zip it closed). Other than that great sytem.

Have to agree w/Phoenixdadeadhead. Trained w/the Army at Ft Bragg for a couple months and they issued me one. The weather varied from hot to cold and from wet to dry. I configured the bag for the conditions on hand. Wouldn't suggest taking it out on a thru-hike though. The weight is definitely a negative (take it from someone who lugged it around in their rucksack) and there are so many other great products out there! Perhaps best used on a multi-day hike vs. multi-month!! :)