PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic or Down in your sleeping bag?

World-Wide
06-04-2009, 07:04
Did a lot of research and went on my own and bought a down-based sleeping bag. I just bought the Marmot Helium EQ Sleeping Bag which is "Down-Based," Is Synthetic the way to go or is Down the proper choice? :-? Thanks, W-W

MintakaCat
06-04-2009, 07:30
I think most folks on this form would vote for the Down over the Synthetic, or that seems to be the impression I have.

saimyoji
06-04-2009, 08:02
Did a lot of research and went on my own and bought a down-based sleeping bag. I just bought the Marmot Helium EQ Sleeping Bag which is "Down-Based," Is Synthetic the way to go or is Down the proper choice? :-? Thanks, W-W

the only "proper choice" is the one that you are happy with. you'll learn this through experience. i prefer down in winter, synthetic in summer

Deadeye
06-04-2009, 08:30
If our opinions matter enough to ask, shouldn't you ask before you buy?:-?

I prefer down, YMMV.

Never heard of "down-based" - is that like "fruit drink"?

OldStormcrow
06-04-2009, 08:36
"Never heard of "down-based" - is that like "fruit drink"?

I would suspect that "down-based" would be some sort of lower grade down with a mix containing more waterbird feathers than actual down, but I really don't know. In a cheap feather pillow you get more waterbird feathers, in my old North face down bags it is a 600 weight "down fill", in the Western Mountaineering bags it is the really nice 800 weight.

10-K
06-04-2009, 08:42

In the beginning I preferred synthetic because I was afraid I'd get my down bag wet and freeze to death.

As I gained more hiking experience and my confidence increased I became willing to give down a try and would only carry a down bag now because it packs so much better and weighs less.

World-Wide
06-04-2009, 08:48
If our opinions matter enough to ask, shouldn't you ask before you buy?:-?

I prefer down, YMMV.

Never heard of "down-based" - is that like "fruit drink"?

I'm in a position to buy what I want now and pay the consequences later. Spent a lot of time researching, but sometimes I can be impulsive. (fault of mine!) Nothing wrong with asking people after the fact especially with the broad experience of folks on this site. Not looking for a soft stroke across my back on my purchase! :rolleyes: Down-filled, down-embedded, down-stuffed? Hope these other terms comfort you since "down-based" didin't meet your standards fruit-f-ck!! :eek:

World-Wide
06-04-2009, 08:52
In the beginning I preferred synthetic because I was afraid I'd get my down bag wet and freeze to death.

As I gained more hiking experience and my confidence increased I became willing to give down a try and would only carry a down bag now because it packs so much better and weighs less.

Thanks 10-K! Hope the Lyme symptoms ease for you!! :D

rpenczek
06-04-2009, 09:08
When I coach my Scouts (and their parents) on gear purchases, I discuss the pro and cons of each.

Syn works when wet and is less expensive, but is heavier and has more bulk (great for younger less experienced boys who tend not to pay attention to their gear).

Down does not work when wet, takes long time to dry, is more expensive, but is much lighter, much more compact, and much more comfortable to sleep in (IMHO) (great for a little older boy 14+ who will take care of his gear and may even get a life long use from a good solid purchase).

I prefer down.

World-Wide
06-04-2009, 09:10
When I coach my Scouts (and their parents) on gear purchases, I discuss the pro and cons of each.

Syn works when wet and is less expensive, but is heavier and has more bulk (great for younger less experienced boys who tend not to pay attention to their gear).

Down does not work when wet, takes long time to dry, is more expensive, but is much lighter, much more compact, and much more comfortable to sleep in (IMHO) (great for a little older boy 14+ who will take care of his gear and may even get a life long use from a good solid purchase).

I prefer down.

Thanks! :)

bigcranky
06-04-2009, 09:30
"Never heard of "down-based" - is that like "fruit drink"?

I think it's more like "processed cheeze food product." :-?

As for the sleeping bags, I like down. We have five or six down bags in the house and only one synthetic, my daughter's bag from when she was much younger.

jrnj5k
06-04-2009, 09:32
I prefer down. Its cheaper, lighter, warmer, and lasts longer. A lot of people say synthetic is cheaper which is hogwash. A properly taken care of down bag will alst decades while a synthetic bag will loose its insulative ability in a fraction of that and have to be replaced time and time again.

garlic08
06-04-2009, 09:40
Congratulations on buying an excellent bag. I've had the Marmot Helium EQ for four long seasons now and it's the best purchase I've ever made. It's kept me on the trail in some really exciting weather.

World-Wide
06-04-2009, 09:49
Congratulations on buying an excellent bag. I've had the Marmot Helium EQ for four long seasons now and it's the best purchase I've ever made. It's kept me on the trail in some really exciting weather.

Nice to hear! The weather here in Okinawa while hiking is pretty mild although very rainy at times! Rainy at 70-80 degrees is much different than rainy at 40-50 degrees. I spent a lot of time before I bought my bag, but that doesn't mean I can't learn more from folks like you! Thanks!! :D

The Snowman
06-09-2009, 19:24
down for backpacking synthic for car and boat camping.