PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Fontana in August.

Plodderman
06-04-2009, 09:24
Had to delay my hike this year because of knee surgery but am getting back in shape and moved my hike from May to August. Any issues other than it being hot that I should know about going from Spinger to Fontana. If you have done this part how long did it take you?

Engine
06-04-2009, 09:26
11 days, but the average seems to be around 14 or so with smelling the roses in town a day or two. If you aren't bound to August, a month later would be much nicer weather wise.

Lyle
06-04-2009, 11:00
I did that hike a year ago in May. Took me 13 1/2hiking days. That was keeping the first few days light mileage, longest day was 17 + miles. I took a zero in Hiawassee and took the morning off at NOC, so total trip was 15 days.

Was a pretty easy pace, but it was cooler then than it will be in August. Also you will have to pay more attention to water supply, some of the sources may be drying up that time of year.

I would second the suggestion that you consider Sept if possible. That is my favorite time to backpack in many cases and many areas.

Plodderman
06-04-2009, 11:13
I would like to go in September but my daughters volleyball starts and I have a son who plays college football so Saturdays are taken. I have completed the Smokies and some areas North of Smokies so I was hoping to connect the dots a little bit.

I am aiming for 11-13 days as in the past I have done some twenty miles but not planning on that tis time. Thanks for the info.

slowandlow
06-04-2009, 11:35
You may get a little relief from the heat in the higher elevations of North Carolina and the Smokies, but I would rate the heat and humidity in Georgia in August as nearly intolerable for strenuous hiking. YMMV.

10-K
06-04-2009, 12:36
My son and I hiked this section in May 2008 and finished at 8:30 AM on the morning of our 10th day.

When we were in Franklin we slackpacked from Wayah Bald back to Franklin one of those days. Being able to start at Wayah Bald in the morning saved us the climb out of Franklin and let us get to NOC to pick up our mail drop the day after we left Franklin.

Also, you could save a lot of climbing by doing some slackpacking out of Hiawassee one day. Just suggesting the slackpacking angle because of your surgery.

SassyWindsor
06-04-2009, 12:44
Hiking in North Ga can be very HOT in August. Water could also get a little scarce.

Toolumpy
06-04-2009, 20:11
I made it to Fontana morning of 9th day. Incluudong a 7 mile day when staying at Franklin for the night. My key was to get started by 6:30 in the AM, cold breakfast and not dinking around. Made it to Hot Springs on 13th day so I guess it all depends what kind of drive you have. Yes, I enjoied my hike but just enjoy walking. Hope you enjoy your trip. Good Luck

Plodderman
06-04-2009, 21:49
I am up early and usually gone before everyone wakes up and I hope to do it in 13 days at the most. I usually do not take days off and just keep on walking but will before re-supplying some so there will be a temptation to take a day off. Thanks for the help TOOLUMPY.

callook66
06-05-2009, 05:56
just make sure you zonk extra hard at the fontana hilton.

Plodderman
06-05-2009, 12:47
Callook66 I have stayed there before when we did the Smokies. Might stay another night.

Monkeyboy
06-06-2009, 20:05
Hiking GA right after knee surgery is not a good idea...........lots of PUDS.

If you do, take it slow and smell the roses.......two weeks taking breaks on the weekend.