PDA

View Full Version : Making a wind screen

lustreking
06-04-2009, 09:44
I'm trying to make a wind screen to work with a Super Cat stove and a KMart grease pot.

My first attempt at the wind screen was a little less than 1/2 inch wider than the diameter of the pot. This apparently is too narrow and resulted in flames going places they shouldn't (down).

Is there a rule of thumb that says how much wider you should make your wind screen than your pot?

zelph
06-04-2009, 10:09
I'm trying to make a wind screen to work with a Super Cat stove and a KMart grease pot.

My first attempt at the wind screen was a little less than 1/2 inch wider than the diameter of the pot. This apparently is too narrow and resulted in flames going places they shouldn't (down).

Is there a rule of thumb that says how much wider you should make your wind screen than your pot?

No rule of thumb that I've heard of.

If you keep it 1/2 inch wider than the pot you have to be sure you have enough holes at the base of the windscreen to allow enough air in to allow an updraft to occur.

Do you have holes punched into the base of your windscreen?

jrnj5k
06-04-2009, 10:09
an inch and a half works just fine on my mini cat stove.

lustreking
06-04-2009, 10:41
Do you have holes punched into the base of your windscreen?

I do, but maybe not enough. I have a single row of holes going halfway around the bottom.

I just discovered an error in my original math so it's actually less than 1/4" larger than my pot. I think I'll just completely redo it. I'll shoot for between 1/2 and 3/4" larger I guess.

Thanks!

zelph
06-04-2009, 14:25
I do, but maybe not enough. I have a single row of holes going halfway around the bottom.

I just discovered an error in my original math so it's actually less than 1/4" larger than my pot. I think I'll just completely redo it. I'll shoot for between 1/2 and 3/4" larger I guess.

Thanks!

Supercats like to burn fast and hot. Make it 1" all around the pot. If you are using a 1/4 inch hole punch space the holes 1/2 inch apart all the way around the windscreen for even distribution of air. Having the holes only on one side causes the flames to be directed off to one side of the pot. Use 2 rows of holes if necessary. Never deny your burner oxygen.

lustreking
06-04-2009, 15:33
Thanks again, Zelph!

flemdawg1
06-04-2009, 22:51
Along the same lines, will an aluminum oven liner pan be able to support a full 1.4 liter pot using 2 peices of wire thru it?

Tinker
06-04-2009, 22:55
I doubt it. Supercats don't need pot supports. They are the pot support. Use whatever you like for the windscreen. I use titanium foil.

lustreking
06-05-2009, 09:22
Supercats like to burn fast and hot. Make it 1" all around the pot. If you are using a 1/4 inch hole punch space the holes 1/2 inch apart all the way around the windscreen for even distribution of air. Having the holes only on one side causes the flames to be directed off to one side of the pot. Use 2 rows of holes if necessary. Never deny your burner oxygen.

It's working much better now. Seems to do ok with one row of holes all the way around.

Thanks!

flemdawg1
06-05-2009, 09:42
Along the same lines, will an aluminum oven liner pan be able to support a full 1.4 liter pot using 2 peices of wire thru it?

I doubt it. Supercats don't need pot supports. They are the pot support. Use whatever you like for the windscreen. I use titanium foil.

I'm sorry, I'm not using a Super Cat, but a penny stove.