PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Sign Removal

sasquatch2014
06-04-2009, 14:24
IO don't recall which hiker mentioned this to me but checking to see if others have heard anything about this. He said that sometime in July the sign on the summit was going to be replaced by a new one and the old one was going to be sent to Boiling Springs to the ATC office there. Does anyone know if this is happening and if so what is the date that they have set for the removal of the old sign?

Cabin Fever
06-04-2009, 14:33
I would be surprised if isn't going to the museum. I would wager money that is where it is going.

Bearpaw
06-04-2009, 14:39
Nothing new. They replaced the "old" sign in '99 also.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/0/2/5/0296752-R2-E180.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20851&original=1&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=5025&cutoffdate=-1)

I got my Katahdin photo with the "new" sign, which has become the "old" one again. I'm fairly certain the old one went to Harper's, but I could be mistaken.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/9/8/0/2/at_2008_ny-me_769.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=31697&original=1&c=574)
It looks like it's time for a "new" new sign. Amazing what a decade of snow and wind can do to a chunk of wood.

Jeff
06-04-2009, 15:24
Yes, I am sure I saw one of the old Katahdin summit signs at the ATC Headquarters in Harpers Ferry near the hiker lounge.

Imagine what that sign would get at auction. Might be a great fund raiser for the new AT Museum.

Manwich
06-04-2009, 15:39
It looks like it's time for a "new" new sign. Amazing what a decade of snow and wind can do to a chunk of wood.

and asshats who feel compelled to carve their initials into the sign.

Bearpaw
06-04-2009, 15:45
and asshats who feel compelled to carve their initials into the sign.

True, but the elements are the main reason for changing signs out. This was the "old" sign less than a year before I summited.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/0/9/doc_and_llama-med.jpg

The Solemates
06-04-2009, 15:49
they should auction it off...i bet it'd go for a pretty penny

TJ aka Teej
06-04-2009, 17:36
The Katahdin Stream Campground Ranger has the new sign made up, if I heard right. The (most recently) old sign is hanging to the right of the entrance at ATC in Harpers Ferry. Dunno yet where the removed sign will go.

Mags
06-04-2009, 17:40
True, but the elements are the main reason for changing signs out. This was the "old" sign less than a year before I summited.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/0/9/doc_and_llama-med.jpg

Doc and Llama! I did part of the PCT with them... good people.

Chaco Taco
06-04-2009, 18:01
they should auction it off...i bet it'd go for a pretty penny
No way, it belongs in a museum

gearfreak
06-04-2009, 18:56
Here's the info:

July 25 - KATAHDIN SUMMIT SIGN REPLACEMENT WORKTRIP The time has come to replace the Katahdin Summit Sign - and - the wooden frame that holds it. We are looking for 10-12 people to help carry the six sections of 4x4's up the mountain from Chimney Pond. The day of choice (and hopefully Pamola's blessing) is Saturday, July 25. The timbers have been transported by sled to Chimney Pond. It is our job to carry all the pieces up the Saddle Trail to Baxter Peak and put it all together. Please contact Lester Kenway well in advance if you would like to join us.

Lester C. Kenway PO Box 8057 Bangor ME 04402 email: trailser(at)myfairpoint.net

:cool:

Blissful
06-04-2009, 19:31
That would be cool to do, be a part of that team, I must say. The sign was looking pretty bad in '07, but still glad to see it anyway.

vonfrick
06-04-2009, 19:37
Here's the info:

July 25 - KATAHDIN SUMMIT SIGN REPLACEMENT WORKTRIP The time has come to replace the Katahdin Summit Sign - and - the wooden frame that holds it. We are looking for 10-12 people to help carry the six sections of 4x4's up the mountain from Chimney Pond. The day of choice (and hopefully Pamola's blessing) is Saturday, July 25. The timbers have been transported by sled to Chimney Pond. It is our job to carry all the pieces up the Saddle Trail to Baxter Peak and put it all together. Please contact Lester Kenway well in advance if you would like to join us.

WOW!!! i'm planning on being on the summit the 26th!!

Mags
06-04-2009, 19:39
No way, it belongs in a museum

Agrees!

http://www.slotmachinesdaddy.com/slot-machines/indiana-jones/indiana-jones.jpg

YoungMoose
06-04-2009, 19:45
No way, it belongs in a museum100% agree. it doesnt matter for the money. the centimental value is enourmes

sasquatch2014
06-04-2009, 19:52
Here's the info:

thanks that Is what I was looking for. this way I know the date and can pass it along to hikers who are passing through and hoping to get their picture taken with the "old new sign" rather than the newer new sign.

vonfrick
06-04-2009, 20:29
Nothing new. They replaced the "old" sign in '99 also.

I got my Katahdin photo with the "new" sign, which has become the "old" one again. I'm fairly certain the old one went to Harper's, but I could be mistaken.

Who's the skinny dude???

The Solemates
06-05-2009, 12:20
100% agree. it doesnt matter for the money. the centimental value is enourmes

its a wooden sign. somebody would pay good money probably for it, which could go back into the trail.

bigmac_in
06-05-2009, 12:25
Who's the skinny dude???

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-05-2009, 12:51
its a wooden sign. somebody would pay good money probably for it, which could go back into the trail.
I'm with you. I would understand if it were the original. Although if I had been one of the people who carved their name into the sign I would want it in a museum. LOL

Chaco Taco
06-05-2009, 13:05

Still no way, I have touched that sign and it has sentimental value to alot of people. Why not put it somewhere that people can go see it instead of one person owning it and maybe storing it for years and years. There are other things that can be sold off to go back into the trail but that sign belongs in a museum.

Chaco Taco
06-05-2009, 13:13
Come to think of it, there are duplicates of the sign. The ATC brought one to the Storytellers at Jack of The Wood in May. I could understand auctioning off the duplicates and raising money for the trail. I just think the actual signs that are on the summit hold way too much to be sold, they are priceless and belong in a museum. Im not dissing your idea Solemates, I like the idea of raising money for the trail, never enough money for the trail, I just think things like that sign hold way too much sentimental value.

weary
06-05-2009, 13:19
MATC knows that the signs have a market value. But the policy is not to offer them for sale. The reasoning: We don't want our trail signs to become collector items -- which we fear would encourage the theft of the signs.

AMC which maintains the AT to the south of us takes the opposite position. They offer them for sale to collectors at the end of each season. But their signs are mostly painted boards, as compared with Maine's routed and painted signs. Each Maine trail sign represents a multipart effort: the routing, three layers of paint front and back, and then the filling of the routed letters with white paint.

I haven't done any AT signs, but I copy the technique for our town land trust trail signs. Essentially, we print the lettering with a computer, paste the sheets on a block of 2X spruce of appropriate length, rout through the paper into the wood, soaK off the paper, and then paint, allow paint to dry, and turn over, paint, allow paint to dry, and turn over, multiple times.

The time per sign shrinks if you have a long enough bench and set up an assembly line. But I've found that doing just 2 or 3 signs takes more than an hour each spread over a week or more.

I know that their are devices that automate the process somewhat. But I think hand routed signs are more rustic and fit better into a trail environment.

Weary

Chaco Taco
06-05-2009, 13:29
MATC knows that the signs have a market value. But the policy is not to offer them for sale. The reasoning: We don't want our trail signs to become collector items -- which we fear would encourage the theft of the signs.

AMC which maintains the AT to the south of us takes the opposite position. They offer them for sale to collectors at the end of each season. But their signs are mostly painted boards, as compared with Maine's routed and painted signs. Each Maine trail sign represents a multipart effort: the routing, three layers of paint front and back, and then the filling of the routed letters with white paint.

I haven't done any AT signs, but I copy the technique for our town land trust trail signs. Essentially, we print the lettering with a computer, paste the sheets on a block of 2X spruce of appropriate length, rout through the paper into the wood, soaK off the paper, and then paint, allow paint to dry, and turn over, paint, allow paint to dry, and turn over, multiple times.

The time per sign shrinks if you have a long enough bench and set up an assembly line. But I've found that doing just 2 or 3 signs takes more than an hour each spread over a week or more.

I know that their are devices that automate the process somewhat. But I think hand routed signs are more rustic and fit better into a trail environment.

Weary

Cool info, thanks:D

sasquatch2014
06-06-2009, 06:29
Maybe the new sign should be like the Olympic Torch and be carried along the trail to the final resting place. That would add to your pack weight.:D

Jim Adams
06-06-2009, 06:52
The sign in ATC headquarters was the sign that I got to touch at the completion of my 1990 thru on top of Katahdin. I got to see it in H.F. during my 2002 thru hike and actually touch it again...it brought tears to my eyes. The current one should be in a museum...I will touch it again too!

geek

Pacific Tortuga
06-06-2009, 08:30
I think Lone Wolf, at one time, has had a evil plan of stealing the sign during the peek of thru- hiker finishers, just for a laugh.

I fully expect to see one on his lawn some day. :)

Wise Old Owl
06-07-2009, 09:30
Doesn't look like they used wood this time - appears to be choice dek.

Kanati
06-07-2009, 13:49
Here's the info:

Bad Hummus and I plan to summit on Saturday, July 18th to complete the trail. We would be more than happy to carry some of the timber to the top of Katahdin. He is presently in NY going north , and I will be starting from Grafton Notch SP on June 30th. We will be arriving early on the 17th. If we can help in some way do not hesitate to let us know.

Jeff
06-07-2009, 13:53
I believe the route from Chimney Pond is not the AT. Perhaps you could help move the timber and SOBO the AT down.

celt
06-07-2009, 16:51
I remember when the Katahdin sign was replaced in 1999. When I saw the recently arrived summit sign on display in Harpers Ferry in mid June '99 there was some worrying and complaining amongst some thru hikers that either there would be no sign for finishing pictures or that the shiny new sign wouldn't look as cool as the old one.

The '99 sign did look new when I summited but it was cool enough for me: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=1237

When I saw it next in September 2003 it was already weathered and had been repainted: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=33879

Since Katahdin gets a new summit sign every ten years on average, auctioning one off shouldn't preclude the A.T. Museum from obtaining another. The AMC has an annual old trail sign aution on EBay that regularly gets four-figures for its signs. Maybe the A.T. Museum could use a sign auction to raise money.

celt
06-07-2009, 17:07

I can see how this policy would help discourage collecting.

A little off topic: I'll have to disagree with this assessment of AMC signs. I've worked in the AMC's sign shop at Pinkham Notch. All of the signs for the AMC's trails in the WMNF (and beyond) are made there using the same routing and painting methods described above. I can't recall ever seeing a "painted board" anywhere in the WMNF.

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 18:18
yeah, this is important. dudes. its a sign. cry for darfour.

mweinstone
06-07-2009, 18:20
wrong thread whoops! ment to say, i think the sign should go to the smithsonian.