PDA

View Full Version : Spelling and Grammar

Cabin Fever
06-04-2009, 14:29
Is it just me or is the spelling and grammar on this site horrible? Don't say that hikers don't need to know spelling or grammar.

Sure, I have typos and spliced commas, but come on. Read it before hitting post.

Typos/misspellings that I have seen in the past 10 minutes:
"Are" which should have been "our"
"Streem" which should been "stream"
"Skeptacle" which should have been "skeptical"

Not trying to be elitest or anything. When I try to read a post and cannot decipher what is trying to be said because of the spelling and poor grammar, there is an issue.

Spogatz
06-04-2009, 14:30
I loves me some redin and ritin'.....

paddler
06-04-2009, 14:37
snossel gnilleps ekie i

CowHead
06-04-2009, 14:40
itsworstwhentheydon'tusedspacesitdrivesmecrazy

modiyooch
06-04-2009, 14:42
it's grammer isn't it? jk

ChinMusic
06-04-2009, 14:44
Is it just me or is the spelling and grammar on this site horrible? Don't say that hikers don't need to know spelling or grammar.
Not trying to be elitest or anything. When I try to read a post and cannot decipher what is trying to be said because of the spelling and poor grammar, there is an issue.
The backpacking fraternity is very diverse. Education levels vary greatly. Grammar skills within the levels vary greatly. You must accept this or you WILL come off as an elitist.

Tin Man
06-04-2009, 14:49
Don't double negatives suck?

p.s. Matthewski-speak is a fine language, much better than English.

Mags
06-04-2009, 17:20
It's online. Many people just slap-dash something together for a quick post that they would not submit in, say, a business proposal. Myself included.

I'll sometimes write "to" instead of "too" and go "It's" instead of
Its" or go "Mom's" when I obviously meant "Moms". It is a brain cramp and many people, again myself included, will make an error every so often.

Only "anal retentive prissy pants" types try to point out typos to prove a point. ;) If it means people think I'm more of a dumb ass...stand in line. A few ex-girlfriends, assorted people in Boulder and people in the hiking community are way ahead of you.

If it still bothers you..I dedicate this comic to you. :)

From http://flamewarriors.com/

Grammarian usually has little to contribute to a discussion and possesses few effective weapons. To compensate, he will point out minor errors in spelling and grammar. Because of Grammarian's obvious weakness most Warriors ignore him.

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/Assets/grammarian.jpg

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-04-2009, 17:22
snossel gnilleps ekie i
You misspelled like lol

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-04-2009, 17:27
I have noticed some atrocious grammar, but I believe a decent number of people on this site use English as a second language. As for the others, I blame public schools!!! Although, I am not blaming the teachers, who I feel do a great job of teaching our youth with both hands, a leg, and 3/4 of their brains tied behind their back. Whoever thought weekly testing to keep schools in check should be hung from a flag pole. LOL Kids now are being taught how to take tests, not how or what they need to learn.
OK, I am done preaching.

snowhoe
06-04-2009, 17:27

Sure, I have typos and spliced commas, but come on. Read it before hitting post.

Just cuz u r from Tennesse and can reed and writ dont make u spiecal.

ShakeyLeggs
06-04-2009, 18:36
əɥəɥ ʇı spəəu oɥʍ ɹɐɯɯɐɹƃ puɐ ƃuılləds

mudcap
06-04-2009, 18:38

Not sure...is it whine or wine ?:D petty, for sure.:rolleyes:

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-04-2009, 18:39
əɥəɥ ʇı spəəu oɥʍ ɹɐɯɯɐɹƃ puɐ ƃuılləds
How did you write backwards and upside down, and why is it so easy for me to read it?

Jester2000
06-04-2009, 18:48

I think that generally speaking spelling and grammar are horrible online, regardless of the site. I don't think that this one is any worse than any other, and in fact I find it to be better than most.

By the way, you misspelled "elitist."

Jester2000
06-04-2009, 18:48
By the way, you misspelled "elitist."

. . .which is pretty funny, all things considered.

Many Walks
06-04-2009, 18:51
Some posters try to be grammatically correct, while others simply don't care.

In the end it's about walkin' not spellin'...deal with it!

rickb
06-04-2009, 19:07
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it doesn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

ki0eh
06-04-2009, 19:17
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it doesn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

Maybe true, but my eyes still hurt after reading this. :D

Gaiter
06-04-2009, 19:17

yep, but don't worry there are a few members that try correcting grammar, and i try ignoring them....:eek::D:eek:

Old Grouse
06-04-2009, 19:19
On the other hand, I've noticed that one relatively new member has improved his style of posting in the past week. I'd say the best you can do is to set a good example. Anything more is beyond your reach, much as it may grate on you.

bjdoubleb
06-04-2009, 19:43
I agree that spelling on the web is terrible but it is what it is. B thankful for the input. Besides, pobody's nerfect. (I can't believe nobody has used that one yet.
:datz
It is nice to be better, but it's better to be nice:D
billy bob

fiddlehead
06-04-2009, 19:58
Ok, as long as we're whining about grammar (I agree it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to use spell checker. (right click on the red underline words unless you have a Mac, then i don't know how you do it)

But, what bothers me is the use of capitol letters to say something.
About half the time, i don't know what the letters imply so often miss the point of what the posers (misspelling intended) are trying to say.

I am (slightly) guilty as i assume most know what SOBO, NOBO, IMO, AT mean. But I try not to use others.

Ok, whine finished.

ShakeyLeggs
06-04-2009, 19:58
How did you write backwards and upside down, and why is it so easy for me to read it?

ʞuıl əɥʇ ;oƃ ɐʎ əɹəɥ

=pɹoʍżdɥd˙ʇxəʇuʍopəpısdn/ɯoɔ˙oəuʎuuns//:dʇʇɥ

Homer&Marje
06-04-2009, 20:01
we kud spk n txt n try n comnk8 lk the kids do lolroflmagfyyfi:D

kayak karl
06-04-2009, 20:10
Spelling Reform

A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter c would be dropped to be replased either by k or s, and likewise x would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which c would be retained would be the ch formation, which will be dealt with later.
Year 2 might reform w spelling, so that which and one would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish y replasing it with i and Iear 4 might fiks the g/j anomali wonse and for all.
Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.
Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez c, y and x -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais ch, sh, and th rispektivli.
Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
Mark Twain

vonfrick
06-04-2009, 20:11
we kud spk n txt n try n comnk8 lk the kids do lolroflmagfyyfi:D

or we cud speek lik kittehs!! k thx bai!:)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KuaAihD4oVk/SbG0j55d6RI/AAAAAAAAHmw/Ish0DqnQVK4/s400/kitty+grammar.jpg

mweinstone
06-04-2009, 20:22
hypernonvegetativeoralfrendshipery (kiss)

a gift from whitblazes best speller/urban designer in my opinion.

fredmugs
06-04-2009, 20:54
I'm thankful for those who are grammatically challenged. I wouldn't be making double the median salary without them.

Seriously - the poor grammar is not nearly as bad as all of the garbage advice I've been reading on here. Telling novice hikers they've never met that they should force themselves to eat or drink some pre-determined amounts is retarded and possibly harmful. One guy told a newbie his food didn't weigh enough.

Surplusman
06-04-2009, 21:04
Hey Choe
Dere dago
Twozzin bussiz
Inarow.

No Choe
Demiz trux
Summit kowz
Summit dukz

Captain
06-04-2009, 21:18

spelling and grammar have their place in our schools that is where they should be kept

weary
06-04-2009, 21:31
I have noticed some atrocious grammar, but I believe a decent number of people on this site use English as a second language. As for the others, I blame public schools!!! Although, I am not blaming the teachers, who I feel do a great job of teaching our youth with both hands, a leg, and 3/4 of their brains tied behind their back. Whoever thought weekly testing to keep schools in check should be hung from a flag pole. LOL Kids now are being taught how to take tests, not how or what they need to learn.
OK, I am done preaching.
I thought we had banned that P word.

Frosty
06-04-2009, 21:34
Seriously - the poor grammar is not nearly as bad as all of the garbage advice I've been reading on here. Telling novice hikers they've never met that they should force themselves to eat or drink some pre-determined amounts is retarded and possibly harmful. One guy told a newbie his food didn't weigh enough.Are you serious? Sometimes I miss sarcasm. But it is important to drink enough water while hiking, especially in hot weather, even (or especially) when you don't feel thirsty.

I think you misunderstood about the food not weighing enough. It wasn't that the newbie should be carrying canned goods instead of dry food, it was that he didn't have enough food, period.

Seems like a reasonable response to the question, "I have 10 pounds of food for my 10-day trip, is that enough?" might be, "No, you need more than a pound of food a day."

kayak karl
06-04-2009, 21:51
Are you serious? Sometimes I miss sarcasm. But it is important to drink enough water while hiking, especially in hot weather, even (or especially) when you don't feel thirsty.

I think you misunderstood about the food not weighing enough. It wasn't that the newbie should be carrying canned goods instead of dry food, it was that he didn't have enough food, period.

Seems like a reasonable response to the question, "I have 10 pounds of food for my 10-day trip, is that enough?" might be, "No, you need more than a pound of food a day."
in this case it was GOOD advice. your right. in otters you hav to tack it firwhat its worth. just gett your ars out their an test yur gear.:D

Plodderman
06-04-2009, 21:54
In the future I will try to use the right grammar, spelling and tense as well as the correct sentence structure. This coming trip from Springer to Fontana I will be on my best grammar behavior.

Tin Man
06-04-2009, 22:00
In the future I will try to use the right grammar, spelling and tense as well as the correct sentence structure. This coming trip from Springer to Fontana I will be on my best grammar behavior.

. . . upcoming trip . . . unless it truly will be a coming trip? :D

laherb
06-04-2009, 22:18
im too laze too kapetliz

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-04-2009, 22:23
I thought we had banned that P word.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

warraghiyagey
06-04-2009, 22:24

Flukkk yoo. . . . seereusslee. . . yoo sukk moose weeners. . . strate upp. . .

drastic_quench
06-04-2009, 23:36
It bothers me too - although rarely enough to mention it online. Firefox has an auto-spell check feature that should at least clear up any misspelled words, but there are still plenty of remaining ways to destroy a sentence.

Tin Man
06-05-2009, 06:20
It bothers me too - although rarely enough to mention it online. Firefox has an auto-spell check feature that should at least clear up any misspelled words, but there are still plenty of remaining ways to destroy a sentence.
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/712_smiley_shooting_exclamation_mark.gif

mrc237
06-05-2009, 06:57
O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rgh it pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs psas it on !!

Psas Ti ON