PDA

View Full Version : how do you measure a compression sack

YoungMoose
06-04-2009, 18:24
what can a 7.5 by 16 inches fit

Phoenixdadeadhead
06-04-2009, 18:48
My tarp, stakes, and rope would fit in it. What do you want to use it for? I think it would be great for a zip lock of Gorp.

kayak karl
06-04-2009, 19:29
dont know, but a 9"-20" holds my 0* bag and JRB Mt Washington quilt. if that helps:confused:

kayak karl
06-04-2009, 19:35
don't notice it was you. what type of stuff do you want to compress. if its just down things thats great, but clothing and other stuff will compress. the problem becomes carrying it. it is a massive LUMP in your pack.

Blissful
06-04-2009, 19:38
I never know until I try to get stuff into it... like a sythetic bag, and realize it's too (bleep) small

:)

YoungMoose
06-04-2009, 19:42
don't notice it was you. what type of stuff do you want to compress. if its just down things thats great, but clothing and other stuff will compress. the problem becomes carrying it. it is a massive LUMP in your pack.thanks. that helps alot. I want to get 2 more stuff sacks for clothes and the other one is for loose stuff. You think i should just get a compression sack or a stuff sack.

Ox97GaMe
06-04-2009, 22:43
you might be suprised at how much stuff can be compressed into a small bag if you put your mind to it. I have a -20, Long, goose down, Slumberjack sleeping bag (Bleepin Huge) that I once compressed into a stuff sack from REI that had a size (S) tag in it. That thing was hard as a brick when I got done, but it fit in there. Not sure I would want to do that every morning for a long hike, but ....... I was told it wouldnt fit, and I just HAD to prove 'em wrong. Got a very nice 40 degree bag out of the deal. :)

Tinker
06-04-2009, 22:48
Mine's 2800 cu. in. I call it a backpack. Large stuffsacks don't turn into bowling balls like compression sacks do. My oversized stuffsacks (except my food bag) can be crammed into every nook and cranny of my pack, making full use of its small size. I hiked for a week without resupply last September using it.
My favorite pack:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/golite_dawn_review.html

kayak karl
06-04-2009, 23:14
thanks. that helps alot. I want to get 2 more stuff sacks for clothes and the other one is for loose stuff. You think i should just get a compression sack or a stuff sack.
let me make a short answer long:D
i use a 4200cin golite pinicale in the winter
i use a trash bag as a liner.
camp down shoes go in first soles down.
then my compressed 0* adrenaline golite bag and JRB Mt Washington quilt..
on top of that i put my hammock in its snake skins.
food next in a stuff sack
then clothes in stuff sack
then rain gear on top.

side pouch has fuel, olive oil and water treatment
other side is my tarp and trash baggy

back zipped pouch is phone, map, meds and misc.

water hangs from my front shoulder straps for easy access.

this works for me:)