PDA

View Full Version : Camp Chairs worth the weight?

flemdawg1
06-04-2009, 23:40
I've got a Crazy Creek type but never packed it. I've also thought about one of those that use your inflatable sleep pad. So what do ya'll think?

Pokey2006
06-05-2009, 03:01
Depends on the trip. For a thru or long distance hike, no way. Just sit on your pad, if you need to. But if you're just hiking in a few miles then camping out with your buddies, drinking vodka and such, why not be comfortable?

The Will
06-05-2009, 03:40
Your choice. Any feedback you get from the rest of us will be purely subjective.

One of many things to consider is the daily distance you will be hiking. Long hours hiking equals less time in camp and less opportunity to enjoy the comforts of the chair. . .while still carrying it.

ki0eh
06-05-2009, 08:50
Double duty - a BearVault.

Or hike in PA - find a rock to sit on.

Ridge Rat
06-05-2009, 08:51
I find that you can bend the Z-rest to make a chair very easily and normally if I am sitting its on a rock or a bench at a shelter... or against a tree and the Z rest works fine. I dont like the added weight for something I will never use. But, its your hike, take it if you feel its waranted

Alligator
06-05-2009, 09:16
Most people I see don't bring them but I do. I've done multiple twenties with mine. The more tired you are the more comfortable it is to plop down in:sun. It comes out first thing in camp. I sit in it when cooking, reading, and chilling 'round the fire. I've lightened up everything else though and come in around 15 lbs (summer) not including food and water (does include all spirits).

Lyle
06-05-2009, 09:47
While I haven't carried one backpacking, I know folks who do. If you have some back problems, the back support while eating/relaxing could well be worth the weight. Straining your back does not take very long, especially if you are already stiff and sore.

Totally a personal choice. Sometimes a rock or bear cannister just does not solve the problem adequately.

buz
06-05-2009, 09:59
I think you got good suggestions. I have carried them and not, but when I get to camp, I am always glad I had them. I have a stool and a TR chair kit, actually like the stool better, but it is heavier. Have lightened my TR chair kit up to just under 6 ounces, so it is pretty light for what it offers.

Alligator
06-05-2009, 10:00
I think you got good suggestions. I have carried them and not, but when I get to camp, I am always glad I had them. I have a stool and a TR chair kit, actually like the stool better, but it is heavier. Have lightened my TR chair kit up to just under 6 ounces, so it is pretty light for what it offers.What did you do to your TR chair to lighten it?

Manwich
06-05-2009, 10:15
I too would be interested in knowing how to lighten up a Thermarest Chair Kit

Blissful
06-05-2009, 10:25
I love my thermarest seat cushion. Made it all the way with me. 50 cents at a yard sale.

bwb49
06-05-2009, 11:35
I always carry my Crazy Creek. I use to use a short ultralight Thermarest mattress and use my Crazy Creek as the lower portion of my sleeping pad, double duty and all that. I now have a NeoAir but I still carry my Creek, it provides good support for my lower back when I am sitting down. I usually do weekend trips, if I was planning long distance hike I would have to rethink the extra weight.

flemdawg1
06-05-2009, 12:59
Yeah that's my delinma, how much camping/sitting around I'll be doing on my next trip. I'll be solo, exploring around for 4 days in the Sipsey Wilderness. The Area isn't all that big (~7x11miles) but I'm going to try and explore all the cool little canyons, waterfalls and caves (won't enter them due to quarantine) in there.

Summit
06-05-2009, 13:41
The more tired you are the more comfortable it is to plop down in:sun.Right on! I have carried my ThermaRest chair for many years. Wouldn't go backpacking without it. I'd rather leave my sleeping bag at home! For years I put my ThermaRest pad in it but now-a-days I put my BA Dual Core mattress in it . . . works great and oh so therapeutic on the back after a day of hiking.

Weight? It weighs 6 oz. I carry less water than most folks so I'm still ahead of ya! :p

Wags
06-05-2009, 14:17
my back never hurts after a long day of hiking. it's my knees.

this sounds like something i would take if i planned to do more camping than hiking. if i planned to do more hiking than camping, i wouldn't bring it

10-K
06-05-2009, 15:26
I love my thermarest seat cushion. Made it all the way with me. 50 cents at a yard sale.

Amen! I would not part with mine and if I were 50 miles from home and remembered that I'd forgot to pack it I'd turn around!

My wife is going to hike the MD section with me next week and I bought her her very own so I would not have to watch her look at me sit on mine at the end of the day. :)

I am wondering if I should give her my old one and keep the new one for myself - it's a new color - plum..... (Nah....I'll probably let her keep the new one...)

Dogwood
06-05-2009, 15:55
If I'm backpacking, for me, NO. I'll be the dissenter here. I can always find a tree, rock, shelter, ground or something else to take the load off. Perhaps, when you're not sitting in your chair I can sit in it and let you tote it around the rest of the time. Ask yourself, "how often do I sit in a camp chair?" Less than 2 hrs per day? What's it doing and what's it doing for your hike the other 22 hrs of the day?

Lyle
06-05-2009, 16:24
If I'm backpacking, for me, NO. I'll be the dissenter here. I can always find a tree, rock, shelter, ground or something else to take the load off. Perhaps, when you're not sitting in your chair I can sit in it and let you tote it around the rest of the time. Ask yourself, "how often do I sit in a camp chair?" Less than 2 hrs per day? What's it doing and what's it doing for your hike the other 22 hrs of the day?

Not being argumentative, but how often do you use your first aid kit? Once or twice during a hike? How about your head lamp? Total of about 15 minutes per day? Rain Gear? Maybe not at all. :D

Many folks use their camp chairs for several hours each day - one of the more frequently used items. If you want one, and it will add significantly to your enjoyment carry it and don't feel guilty.

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2009, 16:41
Sold mine off! 0n a 6 day trip I rarely used it in camp, as there was too much to do. Better to take the pad and half lean it against a tree.

Dogwood
06-05-2009, 17:12
Not being argumentative, but how often do you use your first aid kit? Once or twice during a hike? How about your head lamp? Total of about 15 minutes per day? Rain Gear? Maybe not at all. :D

Many folks use their camp chairs for several hours each day - one of the more frequently used items. If you want one, and it will add significantly to your enjoyment carry it and don't feel guilty.

Fair question. I guess I tend to prioritize items in my kit according to performance, weight, cost, durability, and how often I use them. For me, I consider a first aid kit, in which I carry a very small one, something that could possibly save my life. No, I don't carry a snake bite kit too. My first aid kit weighs less than 5 oz. I use items in it on every hike that I do carry it. I don't always carry a fully stocked first aid kit on every hike though. I use my headlamp more often. I like to study maps or read before I go to sleep. I like to night hike when conditions permit. I often start hiking in the early morning hrs. before sunrise. I don't always carry rain gear either. I carry it only as often as I deem it absolutely necessary. And, when I do carry raingear I don't use it just when it's raining. I use raingear as additional warmth layers or as wind protection. In the end I guess I consider a first aid kit, headlamp, or raingear as less of luxury items than a camp chair.

My previous statements were not intended to make anyone feel guilty or tell anyone what was right to carry for THEIR hike. I merely am stating that I wouldn't carry one and my reasons for not carrying one. FOR ME, the additional weight, cost and bulk doesn't warrant carrying a chair.

Pringles
06-05-2009, 17:18
I thought it was just extra stuff to carry around, until I got a little arthritis in my knee. The chair lets me change into positions that are a lot more comfortable for my arthritic, bum knee, which is already a little offended that I hike. It's your choice, but give it a try of a short trip and see what your reaction is.

Beth

10-K
06-05-2009, 17:46
Try a thermorest seat cushion - they don't weigh hardly anything and take up almost no room in the pack. Seriously, it's a gift from above.

Wags
06-05-2009, 23:03
well. my shelter is a hammock, which is quite the comfy camp chair.

Rockhound
06-05-2009, 23:07
I've got a Crazy Creek type but never packed it. I've also thought about one of those that use your inflatable sleep pad. So what do ya'll think?
Camping chair? It's called a log or a stump or a rock. Get your terminology right. And no I don't carry one. They are usually around wherever I may be.

Ramble~On
06-06-2009, 00:07

Nice to have on a shorter hike but on a longer hike you'd send it home. There are still some folks carrying those little Z Rest sitting pads though.
I have a ThermaRest chair kit and didn't carry it long. On shorter hikes you can have the "luxury items" along and enjoy the camping aspect..on longer hikes the luxuries might not be such a good idea...my opinion may differ from the masses..though I doubt it.

Grinder
06-06-2009, 07:26
In another thread on this subject, there were links to an "indian lawn chair" . There was a utube demo of the thing.

It was a piece of nylon (the indians used leather I presume) that combined with three sticks to make a tripod sling.

weight carried would be an oz or so. Then there would be the hassle of rounding up the sticks at each stop.

buz
06-08-2009, 15:53
alligator and totem,

I have an older style TR chair kit. It is called the lite chair kit. It has 4 fiberglass stays in it. I replaced these with carbon fiber arrrow shafts, cut to fit, and used the end caps that came with the stays, that is important to have round ends on the stays. Cut off straps replaced with thinner, shorter ones resewed to same place. Save 4 ounces. Cost was minimal, as I got the arrows at low cost close out. Probably need similar diameter to what you have. Can buy new chair kit now that weighs the same as mine lightenend. But nothing wrong with mine, and i really like it for my crappy back.

YoungMoose
06-08-2009, 18:26
Its a personal choice. i dont carry one but im debating if i should get one. I dont think i will though becuase of the extra weight. Plus when your done hiking most times you just want to eat and then sleep. But if your going hiking with your friends then get it beucase you wouldnt just do that

Summit
06-08-2009, 19:53
when your done hiking most times you just want to eat and then sleep. Yep, it's all about style and purpose. Thru hikers generally hike daylight to dark - hike/eat/sleep. Get up and do it again. Section hikers are generally on a mellower schedule and then a comfortable, back relaxing chair makes perfect sense.

rockhound, if a log or a stump or a rock meets your butt and back's needs, more power to ya! I'm sticking with my 6 oz. backwoods lazyboy recliner! :)

Phreak
06-08-2009, 21:45
Any item is worth the weight if it's important to you. I started my JMT hike with 5 books. I read everyday, so it was definitely worth the extra weight to me.