PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for Springer, GA to Marion, VA (500+ miles)

martini159
06-05-2009, 00:27
I'm doin a stretch of the AT starting on June 13/14 from Springer Mtn. until I hit Marion, VA. Rather than rant about my gear list, I'll just let you guys have at it. Critique away!!! :)

(answers to the notes labeled "???" are greatly appreciated)

Thanks so much guys!

Take it easy,
Martin

cmcdonal2001
06-05-2009, 00:43
Looks like a pretty decent gear list. You could probably get away with one less change of clothes in your pack if you wanted to cut some weight, and carabiners usually aren't necessary. Ditto the pillows, but at a half ounce each they'll probably be worth it. (Will you need all three?).

If it's just you, I'd pass on the GSI mug and just eat out of the pot. Extra batteries are probably a good idea, as are the moleskins. I'll pass on commenting on the other ???, since I'm not too familiar with the area you'll be in.

flemdawg1
06-05-2009, 11:07
The only thing I might change is finding a lighter alternative to the Flash 18. I've recieved a few flimsy stuff sack style backpacks from races and thrift stores. They dont have nice straps like that flash18, just a rope that goes from the top and ends thru a grommet at the bottom. I used them in a pinch for dayhiking.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2344/79/61/1307697213/n1307697213_30084915_6790579.jpg

CowHead
06-05-2009, 12:30
Chapstick I would bring it never had a issue untill I started hiking wind-cold-heat-sun can cause your lips to crack and it can be very annoying

martini159
06-05-2009, 13:48
Thanks for all the tips guys!

CMCDonal - About the change of clothes - you're prolly right, bein all stinky on the trail is half the fun! And thats about half a pound (prolly will keep 3 pairs of socks though). Good suggestion :) You're definitely right about the moleskins - I dont want some stupid blisters takin me off the trail.

Flemdawg - I was thinkin the same thing! I just figured that I have to have a stuff sack for my clothes to begin with, so I might as well use that weight and get some extra utility out of it. And this is what did it for me - the flash has a section for a water reservoir. But then again, I could just use one of those little bags AS my stuff sack.... Hmmm... You've turned me into a thinkin man haha.

Cowhead - AMEN to that... Wouldn't wanna meet some hot trail babe and have chapped lips. It's goin in the bag!

Again, thank you so much guys for all the tips!

Take it easy,
Martin