PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for Springer, GA to Marion, VA (500+ miles)

martini159
06-05-2009, 00:47
I'm doin a stretch of the AT starting on June 13/14 from Springer Mtn. until I hit Marion, VA. Rather than rant about my gear list, I'll just let you guys have at it. Critique away!!! http://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

(answers to the notes labeled "???" are greatly appreciated)

Thanks so much guys!

Take it easy,
Martin

(apologies if I should've kept this in the general gear talk forum)

martini159
06-05-2009, 11:38
In case you don't want to open the excel file :)

Item Type Item Brand Item Name
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Backpack Granite Gear Vapor Trail
Outer Shelter Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
Inner Shelter Six Moon Designs Serenity NetTent
Stakes MSR Needle Stakes
Sleeping Bag Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15
Sleeping Pad Big Agnes Insulated Air Core
Socks x2 Smartwool PhD Light Mini
Underwear x2 Patagonia Active Boxers
Shirt x2 Patagonia Capilene 1 Crew
Convertible Pants Exoficio Amphibian Convertible
Hankerchief N/A N/A
Sandles Keen Waimea H2
Gaiters REI Trail Runner Gaiters
Water Reservoir MSR Hydromedary 2.5L
Water Bottle Platypus Collapsible 1L
Utensils GSI Lexan Set
Stove/Pot Trangia Mini 28T
Lighters x 2 Bic Mini
Fuel HEET N/A
Multitool Leatherman Juice SC2
Trowel N/A N/A
Headlamp Petzl Tikka
Parachute Cord N/A 50 feet
Guidebook ALDHA THC
Whistle N/A N/A
Pillows x 3 FlexAir Ultralight Pillow
Caribeeners x 4 Black Diamond Jivewire Small x 2
Black Diamond Jivewire Large x 2
Stuff Sack Granite Gear 16L UL Airbag
Stuff Sack REI 18L Flash
Towel MSR Packtowl Personal M
Chapstick Blistex Lip Medex
Soap Sierra Dawn Campsuds
Toilet Paper x3 N/A N/A
Water Treatment Aquamira N/A
Cut Treatment Superglue N/A
Blister Treatment x2 Adventure Medical Glaciergels
Bug Spray DEET N/A

TOTAL CARRIED WEIGHT 15 LBS, 5 OZ
WITHOUT WATER/FOOD
Shoes Merrell Moab GTX
Shorts Exoficio Amphibian Shorts
Socks Smartwool PhD Light Mini
Underwear Patagonia Active Boxers
Shirt Patagonia Capilene 1 Crew
Hankerchief N/A N/A
Trekking Poles Leki Makalu Summit AS

TOTAL WORN WEIGHT 4 LBS, 1 OZ

esteban
06-05-2009, 12:35
Looks pretty good, but I would drop the sandles and the trowel. You should not need to carry all three flex air pillows. If you need to replace it, have someone mail you one. You could probably carry a lighter sleeping bag for the time of year. I would also add some type of warm top, especially since you are using the gatewood cape instead of a rain jacket. Have fun and enjoy yourself!

martini159
06-05-2009, 13:33
Yea I guess the reason behind the sandals is my innate fear of waterlogged shoes. Recently had a trip on the Florida Trail where they got soaked through and woulda done anything for a pair of sandals (they're also nice for the end of the day when you want to just walk around - and super light at least)

Certainly don't need all the pillows, but they weigh half an ounce each and take up practically no space at all. They're also notoriously thin, so I figure I might want to bring all the ones that I bought in case they pop on the trail. HUGE weight/space saver from the old Thermarest pillow :)

AMEN to the lighter sleeping bag - way too heavy and overkill :eek: Wish I had the extra money to lighten that up, its definitely the weakest point in the gear.

Man you hit the nail right on the head about the warm top! I used to just use my rain gear top as a jacket if it got cold (you're a regular mind reader) in the summer, but you're right - I got nothin to cover up to my wrists if it gets cold. I'll prolly take a long sleeve capilene 3. Good suggestion :)

As per the trowel... Are there enough privys that I probably don't need to bring it? Wasn't sure about that, but would love to clip off some extra weight and that's definitely something easy to drop if you think I wouldn't need it.

Thanks for the tips Esteban!

Take it easy,
Martin

Blissful
06-05-2009, 19:58
Need another pair of hiking socks unless you have three pair - couldn't tell?
Forget the trowel. One lexan spoon
Don't need shorts if you have convertible pants
Do need some kind of microfleece top - can get cool in some areas high up - like Roan. And a fleece hat.
Sunscreen? Advil?
Crocs are lighter
You'll be extra warm in that sleeping bag for sure...
I hated flex air - I think its what I had. They leaked like crazy. I went with my cocoon pillows.

Panzer1
06-05-2009, 20:51
Multitool Leathttp://www.smartknives.com/Leatherman-Multi-Tools/Leatherman-Squirt-S4.htmherman Juice SC2This is a really nice knife. But at 4.5 ounces I think it is heavier that it needs to be because the heaviest part of this knife is the needle nose pliers/wire cutter that I guess accounts for about half its weight. When on the trail I don't think you really need a needle nose pliers or wire cutter.

You can get the Leatherman Squirt S4 that only weights only 1.9 ounces which is less that half the weight of the SC2. It has a heavy scissors that is more useful than the needle nose pliers.
Panzer

http://www.smartknives.com/Leatherman-Multi-Tools/Leatherman-Images/Leatherman-Squirt-S4-Lg.jpg

http://www.smartknives.com/Leatherman-Multi-Tools/Leatherman-Images/Leatherman-Juice-CS4-Lg.jpg