PDA

View Full Version : Bivy in shelters

gearfreak
06-05-2009, 08:34
I prefer to tent whenever possible for the same reasons many dislike shelters. After spending a couple of nights in shelters I don't know which is worse - the mice or the hikers that attempt to combat them through the night. Am I the only one thinking a bug bivy and some ear plugs are the answer to tuning out the noise and keeping the varmints at bay? I plan on hiking GSMNP e2e in September (where shelter use is required) and wonder if this might be the answer. :-?

Wags
06-05-2009, 09:32
that thing actually looks good. remember, you don't have to be mouse/bug proof. just less appealing than the other people in the shelter with you :D

bigcranky
06-05-2009, 13:37
I have a homemade bivy, mostly bug netting on top. I use it under my tarp. I also use it in shelters -- and it's a great way to keep the bugs and mice away. The bivy and a set of earplugs make shelters almost bearable.

10-K
06-05-2009, 15:30
I carried a gortex bivy for my bag hiking through the smokies and as it turns it it rained/sleeted/snowed for most of the trip.

The bivy really paid for itself because I seemed to find the spot in the shelter just where the roof leaked every time. My down bag would have been soaked had it not been for the bivy. Man, those were some of the most MISERABLE nights I have spent in my life. I absolutely love hiking in the smokies but the shelter rules for section hikers blow.

Dogwood
06-05-2009, 15:45
I think earplugs are a great asset to have whenever you travel. Certainly, could come in handy if loud noises(snoring, farting, incessant chatter) become too much at AT shelters, on public transportation, or in hostels.

Don't bring food or anyting else into your bivy that rodents might be attracted to. They will chew through a tent, sleeping bag, stuff sack, and even your bivy to get at it.

daddytwosticks
06-05-2009, 15:46
I had one of these bug biv. a few years ago...heavy, confining, and warm in the summer. Hard to get into also. However, they'll keep the bugs and critters off you. :)