PDA

View Full Version : Franconia Ridge Next Weekend

hikergirl1120
06-05-2009, 08:54
Any suggestions on local places to stay on a budget...I contacted someone that I know who owns a campground but I was also considering one of the state campgrounds...any tips?

Slo-go'en
06-05-2009, 09:09
The Lafayete campground at Franconia notch would be a logical place to stay. Its right off the highway and right where your hiking. You might want to call ahead for reservations though, it can get busy there on weekends.

hikergirl1120
06-05-2009, 09:48
In the meantime...I did some googling...my buddy and I decided on the Lost River Campground... we are going to go through the FLume Gorge too..haven't been there in years!

Frosty
06-05-2009, 10:07
In the meantime...I did some googling...my buddy and I decided on the Lost River Campground... we are going to go through the FLume Gorge too..haven't been there in years!That's a nice campground.

Blissful
06-05-2009, 10:24
There are also national forest campgrounds too in that area.

Have a great time!

peakbagger
06-08-2009, 03:35
There is free unorgainized campsites on some of the sideroads along RT 3 between the split where RT 3 splits from 93 north of the notch and twin mountain. I beleive they are on the loop road that accesses the Galehead and Garfield. I havent been there for years but all they are a place to park with no facilities. You need a WMNF parking pass. There are similiar sites on the south end of Cherry Mountain road. There are also sites on the Tripoli road but there may be a fee (was at one time but not sure if there still is).

All of the sites tend to be party spots and the lack of toilet facilties tends to make them somewhere to watch your step if you go in the woods. IMO You are far better to pay a few bucks and stay in a state or WMNF campground.

Downhill Trucker
06-08-2009, 04:07
Lafayette Campground is alright and you can hike right from there. The free campsites along the roads out there arent too bad. Hiking the ridge is awesome. Have a great hike.

buckwheat
06-08-2009, 04:09
You won't do much better than $24 anywhere in the area (I checked). Maybe a buck or two savings, but the Lafayette Campground is right smack in the middle of all the trailheads, so it's the better value, in my view.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3630/3570697892_116585c53b.jpg

I drive to this area to hike - so I haven't used the campground, but I have hiked through it (getting to the Lonesome Pond Trailhead). Looks like a nice campground with decent bathroom facilities and decently maintained sites.

There's a Camp Store, but don't depend on it, as Massachusetts is running billion dollar deficits and the store does not seem to be keeping to its posted open hours. When I was there last, the campground had little business yet as it won't get ramped up until after school is out in a few more weeks, so spend some time scoping out the best site. It will probably be available by request.

There's an underground walkway from the campground to most of the other trailheads across the street, so no worries there.

It's a great area. I recently hiked some there and posted some shots on flickr here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38672382@N05/sets/72157618867558508/show/

Cheers,
Buckwheat

celt
06-08-2009, 06:37
...the Lafayette Campground is right smack in the middle of all the trailheads, so it's the better value, in my view. I drive to this area to hike - so I haven't used the campground, but I have hiked through it (getting to the Lonesome Pond Trailhead). Looks like a nice campground with decent bathroom facilities and decently maintained sites.

There's a Camp Store, but don't depend on it, as Massachusetts is running billion dollar deficits and the store does not seem to be keeping to its posted open hours. When I was there last, the campground had little business yet as it won't get ramped up until after school is out in a few more weeks, so spend some time scoping out the best site. It will probably be available by request.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

Great information. One thing cracked me up: Because a majority of the cars parked along both sides of the road at the Lafayette Place trailheads on a busy weekend are from Massachusetts does that mean Franconia Notch is suddenly the northern most part of the Commonwealth? Otherwise, how does the Mass State deficit effect the Lafayette Place Campstore?

hikergirl1120
06-08-2009, 06:59
I think we are going to hit the trail at the crack of dawn so no worries on parking...thanks for all the great info!!!!!!

buckwheat
06-08-2009, 11:44
... how does the Mass State deficit effect the Lafayette Place Campstore?

Heh. :p

Good point. I was conflating my experience at Mount Greylock with my experience at Franconia.

Greylock also had serious staffing issues that the park rangers blamed on the state deficit. They had been told to cut back on everyone's hours.

I would bet the same thing might be happening in NH; but it could also have been that the season is just really getting started.

Cheers.

Snowleopard
06-08-2009, 19:44
Great information. One thing cracked me up: Because a majority of the cars parked along both sides of the road at the Lafayette Place trailheads on a busy weekend are from Massachusetts does that mean Franconia Notch is suddenly the northern most part of the Commonwealth? ...

Yes!!! We're moving the Franconia Ridge to the southern end of the Wapack trail (a mile from me). Taking down the Old Man of the Mountain was the first act in the annexation!:sun

peakbagger
06-08-2009, 21:53
Actually the NH state Parks are in somewhat better shape short term than surrounding states as the park system is "self supporting" therefore they arent as affected by state budget deficits. Unfortunately they also dont have very good access to funds for long term capital improvements so, there is a lot of deferred maintenance.

Like most states, there is usually money to create a park but not a lot to maintain or improve them. The new ATV park in Berlin, Jericho Mtn State Park, is on its second year of operation and has very few ATV trails open as, the state has no significant budget to build them. The development plan calls for a large campground on Jericho Lake (which is a real nice place), but have no idea where the money is going to come from.

Hikerhead
06-08-2009, 23:25
The Lafayete campground at Franconia notch would be a logical place to stay. Its right off the highway and right where your hiking. You might want to call ahead for reservations though, it can get busy there on weekends.

That's a nice campground. I've stayed there twice. New bathrooms/showers were put in at the back of the campground a few years ago. Also a nice trail is the Pemi trail which runs along side the interstate from the campground. If you like exploring you can climb up the cliff where you are right below where the old man of the mtn used to be. It's just like being above treeline with only a 15 minute hike from the trail. It's not marked where you leave the trail, just look for the manways.

Phoenix7
06-09-2009, 15:43
If it's a hot day you could take a diversion by going to the Whale's Tale water park, on rt. 3, north of Lincoln, and south of The Flume. Lincoln has a few backpacking stores on the main street. I can think of Lahout's and The North Face has a store.

hikergirl1120
06-09-2009, 15:53
I LOOOOVVVEEEE Linclon, I spent a lot of time there when I was younger!!! Hooray!! I can't wait!

pipesmoke
06-09-2009, 15:58
There is a hostel in Lincoln run by a fellow named Chester. Folks in town should be able to direct you.

Homer&Marje
06-09-2009, 16:36
Just don't go to Frescoloni's pizza.....dern racists:D

Phoenix7
06-09-2009, 21:33
On my 1990 section hike I stayed at the Kangamagus Motor Lodge in Lincoln. Reasonable rates and you can get steam bath units in the bathtub. I hiked in May, and it was cold, and the steam bath was great.
http://www.kancmotorlodge.com/

hikergirl1120
06-10-2009, 07:09
Just don't go to Frescoloni's pizza.....dern racists:D

GH Pizza all the way!!!

warraghiyagey
06-10-2009, 08:10
I LOOOOVVVEEEE Linclon, I spent a lot of time there when I was younger!!! Hooray!! I can't wait!

There is a hostel in Lincoln run by a fellow named Chester. Folks in town should be able to direct you.
Chet is a great guy. . . . good place to stay:sun

celt
06-10-2009, 23:02
...Lincoln has a few backpacking stores on the main street. I can think of Lahout's and The North Face has a store.

The North Face store is now call "The Summit Shop" (and its also owned by the Lahouts). Its definitely the best stocked shop in town for outfitting backpackers. Conveniently located next to chinese food and Elvios Pizza for the hungry hiker.

celt
06-10-2009, 23:08
...Kangamagus Motor Lodge in Lincoln.

I expect better spelling from a guy from Rumney, I mean you're almost a local!

Phoenix7
06-10-2009, 23:30
I expect better spelling from a guy from Rumney, I mean you're almost a local!

I reside in Rumney but I'm a New York transplant. I will definitely never be a native so PLEASE cut me a little slack:o

hikergirl1120
06-14-2009, 18:37
AMAZING day saturday!!! Weather was awesome!!!!!

celt
06-14-2009, 19:16
I reside in Rumney but I'm a New York transplant. I will definitely never be a native so PLEASE cut me a little slack:o

I called you a local, not a native and I have to save all my slack for the tourists ;).

Tin Man
06-14-2009, 19:18
AMAZING day saturday!!! Weather was awesome!!!!!

Cool! What route did you end up taking? What kind of temps did you have on the ridge?

hikergirl1120
06-14-2009, 20:32
Cool! What route did you end up taking? What kind of temps did you have on the ridge?

Up old bridal and down falling waters...I never have gone that way (usually the opposite) but i was glad that I did.

It was warm but breezy so if you weren't moving to keep your body temp up you needed a coat or something...got sunburned though..just a little:sun

Phoenix7
06-14-2009, 21:03
I like the fact that there's no town on top of Lafayette like Washington. You can still see the remains of a summit hut though.

Tin Man
06-14-2009, 22:02
There was a chipmunk at the Lafayette Summit Hut remains last summer. Little guy kept dodging my attempts to take his photo. Did you see him?

Old Hillwalker
06-15-2009, 06:47
I must have passed you either on the ridge or coming down FW. I looped the ridge starting at 6:15 AM and was coming down FW trail at noon. You might have noticed my old red Porsche in the parking lot. Here is a picture of the old hotel at the summit of Lafayette.

hikergirl1120
06-15-2009, 10:17
I must have passed you either on the ridge or coming down FW. I looped the ridge starting at 6:15 AM and was coming down FW trail at noon. You might have noticed my old red Porsche in the parking lot. Here is a picture of the old hotel at the summit of Lafayette.

I have a picture of me standing in front of that car!!! I was driving the bright yellow truck!

Old Hillwalker
06-15-2009, 10:25
I have a picture of me standing in front of that car!!! I was driving the bright yellow truck!

Bright yellow trucks rock! My dog loves trucks.

Was a number one day wasn't it. Chatted with a large Korean family just before they reached the Shining Rock side trail. They were concerned about making it up. Hope they did. Nice bunch of people:).

hikergirl1120
06-15-2009, 10:28
is this the one?

hikergirl1120
06-15-2009, 10:29
Bright yellow trucks rock! My dog loves trucks.

Was a number one day wasn't it. Chatted with a large Korean family just before they reached the Shining Rock side trail. They were concerned about making it up. Hope they did. Nice bunch of people:).

Man I saw those same people....they were definitly a big group they were just below the summit when I saw them...we must have been coming down at the same time...I left to descend at 12....wierd....

Old Hillwalker
06-15-2009, 14:59
is this the one?

Yep. Here it is sitting on my lawn. Gonna start an end to end on the Long Trail beginning this Friday or next depending upon my ride to Journeys End.

Happy hiking:sun