PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Phantasm rain jacket?

HikingIllini
06-05-2009, 10:00
Does anyone own the GoLite Phantasm rain jacket? Any reviews?

http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=AM1735&s=1

I haven't seen any reviews on backpackgeartest.org or the backpackinglight reader forums.

9.6 oz, GoreTex Packlight, velcro wrist cuffs, but no pit zips. Retails at $200 but GoLite is having a 40% off sale.

I already own a 2 year old GoLite Virga but find it to be clammy. I imagine that this will perform better (while not entirely eliminating moisture).

I'm also interested in the GoLite Phantom but unfortunately they don't have any inventory.

Thanks,

Mocs123
06-05-2009, 10:11
I have used the Phantom for the past four years and have been pretty happy with it. The DWR has about worn off so I need to treat it, but it has seen some pretty decent use. I know the Phantasm is a similar jacket minus pit zips, but I don't know about the rest of the features. The Phantom has a nice hood, with a stiff brim and is a nice long jacket with a drop tail. Personally, I don't know how well it would do without pit zips particularly in Florida. If you can find one, you might look for a Mont-Bell Peak Shell. They have been discontinued, but they had a more breathable membrane than GT, had huge pit zips, and were around 11 ounces.

I am currently flirting with the idea of going with a lighter jacket like the 7oz Marmot Essence, but I am waiting to see how the reviews are for the new fabric. They cliam near eVent breathabiltiy, but we will see how that goes.

Muffin Man
06-16-2009, 20:18
If you want to go lighter for a rain jacket I would recommend a TNF DIAD which can be gotten around half-off retailing for $200 if you look hard enough. My medium is around 8ish oz. and it's a great jacket with a few caveats. One being the mini pit zips. If these were extended this would be the coup de grace of rain jackets. Very packable & durable for the weight and doesn't wet out, great wind protection, temple cordlock on the hood! etc. Size up for serious winter layering. My gf loves this jacet as well but I just got her a phantom from bentgear for $100 b/c she lost her DIAD. Figured now that we live in Crested Butte, CO she can get more use from the Phantom whereas the DIAD was perfect for Northbay, Cali yearound. I will probably get her the DIAD when the price drops approaching winter.

On the other hand, I just bought a GoLite Phantom online for $110 w/shipping. The reason I got this is that I tend to use my DIAD more for biking/short brisk hikes and with backpacking I need more venting options other than just opening the jacket & mini pitz. I feel the Phantom may be able to replace my Marker Goretex snowboard jacket with the right layering. Time will tell. I use my OR Ion for warmer weather, shorter outings, etc where space and weight are a premium. The DIAD if it's a little colder and I want to protect against afternoon thundershowers, a weekend hike or more.

Time will tell how I can incorporate the Phantom but I'm excited. I think those few extra ounces will be well spent although I do love the Ion and DIAD for their own purposes and weight.

Cheers,
Michael :sun

The marmot essence seems to be more along the lines of the phantasm. For me I need ventilation as breathability in most rain jackets (check out the Integral Designs eVent for around the same money/weight!) require great ventilation.

Two other options+. Patagonia Specter rainjacket and the houdini for a technical wind jacket. Another thing I find that comes in handy except for dense foliage/high winds while moving is an u.l. umbrella.

Montbell, Birdie Pal, Snow Peak, GoLite, etc. Raines sells a skinnie minnie at Staples not found on their website that has a lifetime guarantee and is under 5 oz. Hope this helps & you get some exciting weather to don ur gear.